Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
jcjec

Re: Houngan

Post by jcjec »

Ken wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:42 pm Real World Stuff With Force d'Orleans set in New Orleans it was natural we'd get some voodoo stories. Jim created Izzy to represent the Good Magic side (voodun; we use the "voodoo" term for the evil magic side). And then when Kyle started gaming with us again, after some time away, Kyle took him over. Sadly, Kyle's not that regular yet. But then again, he lives far from the rest of us, somewhere near Keystone, Smallville, and Henry and Em Gale.
Addendum:

Houngan was originally the brainchild of John Belding, who had also created Thoth, for the Canadian group that we briefly gamed with, and 273 with the Aces. Unfortunately, he only stuck around long enough to play 273 once and tell me his idea for Houngan, the voodoo detective, but never play him. I liked the idea enough, though, to go ahead and introduce the character as an NPC for the reasons stated above. Then, when Kyle said that he's be interested in playing a Voodun priest, I pointed him toward Houngan and Kyle liked it, creating the backstory, the deceased mentor, and powers to make him buff enough to run with the heroes.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jabroniville

Re: Ken's Kache of Khracters (Thunderbolt, Phaze, Torpedo, Houngan, Black Volt)

Post by Jabroniville »

The number of black guys with electrical powers has always been a fascinating oddity about comic books. It's interesting how the more "outside the group" characters tend to have less thought going into their origin stories and their place in the universe, along with the odd explanations that amount to "the player left".

Houngan is pretty interesting. I like how other players can pick up characters that others leave behind- that's not something I've heard of very often.

I can definitely see how "Funny" Guy RPers can get annoying, especially if they're way too high on their own antics. I actually had no idea that Plastic Man was the "Straight Man" of his own strip. That's weird, especially given that he's so insane now that he's basically a cartoon character in a serious world. So Bob bailed and you haven't heard from him in a while? Given that Eric also left the campaigns, I'm surprised he hung around afterwards. I still have no idea what a "Google Hangout" is.

I notice that a LOT of your characters have "Attractive". Was that more of an "auto-buy" in Champions or something? I mean, obviously I have issues with the Advantage in M&M games, but seeing it so often is eyebrow-raising.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

"Comeliness" as it was called in Champions was one of the cheapest attributes in the game. And, as such, people often decided to raise it. In fact, I had to police it because it was so cheap that people would buy it up a LOT if I'd let them.
Ah, COMELINESS. I remember the old poster Pamela Isley always going on about that stat needing to be in M&M. She was so upset over 3e not having it that she basically ragequit the game, I think. It always struck me as a very bizarre thing.
The other thing is that I used to avidly go to shows of an all-girl rock band, eventually even doing the roadie thing for them. And I became a firm believer in the unintentional use of the Attractive bonus. Watching the band perform, watching the band interact with fans, watching people in the crowd, watching the band just being people. So, I don't have the objections to the Advantage that others may have.
Oh yeah, it's definitely a thing in real life. Primarily something that afflicts men, especially younger ones- pretty women are nearly automatically treated better. It DOES work with attractive men; just much more rarely (Chris Rock has a big routine on that- "Women get OFFERED DICK EVERY DAY!"). It's why salespeople and advertising specializes in it, too.

With guys, it's basically... "can play guitar". That's how men use Attractive in real life :).

I just grew to hate it largely thanks to, well, the endless "_____ should really have Attractive, because in Comic B, a character off-handedly mentioned them being attractive". And the fact that, in comics, EVERY WOMAN would have it, given that they all have the same body type. So I had to basically make an edict that the only people who should have it are active flirts (Emma Frost, Selene), women who are ALWAYS treated well and fussed over by men (Jean Grey, Susan Richards), and women who actively suck when dealing with other women (in this case, almost treating it like a penalty).
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:43 pm This Pamela Isely must have been before my time. Honestly, I've very glad M&M doesn't have a Comeliness type trait. I suspect that this Pamela person was either very vain, or very caught up in the virtual dick-waving that the score tends to have on role-players.
She was prominent on the ATT 2nd Edition, and was around for a bit on 3e. She HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATED how difficult the game made it to kill people- that and lack of Comeliness basically got rid of her in a hurry. I remember a lot of people disliked her attitude- more than one person has assumed she & Badpenny were the same person. Oddly, I used to think she was BatgirlIII, and had actually merged the two in my head before looking at an old post and realizing my mistake.

I'm not really sure WHY she wanted the stat so specifically. Maybe it was a vanity thing. I know a lot of guys would tend to amp it up for a female OC of theirs. It was just a really odd hill to die on.
I think it afflicts women just as much as men. I just think that men aren't as quick to notice when women are doing it because we're thick and more often than not, it isn't happening to me.
I can see that. A friend once got a free slurpee from 7-11 after he was working out a bunch, and bragged about it non-stop :). But men are usually INSANELY clueless about things like that, and girls just don't get it. I remember all the hate Dexter Charming got on Ever After High for being thoughtless with Cupid's feelings for him, when it was VERY CLEAR that he was completely oblivious as to how she felt. Yes I just made an Ever After High reference in your thread, deal with it.

Heh- Doug the Ladies Man. I think women might be as affected by it... but aren't as VULNERABLE to it. To a degree. The amount of stupid things I've seen women do for the wrong kind of guy are pretty staggering. Men seem more affected on a day-to-day basis (a few women I know who've gone from chubby to skinny say the difference in how they're treated is HUGELY noticeable, and frequently disgusting in regularity), while women seem to make bigger decisions in the wrong sort of way.
And you are right to hate it. And I think your list of who and who shouldn't get it are correct. The difference is that you're adapting comic book characters. I'm mostly posting characters from actual play. Which means, yes there are the characters that are supposed to be active flirts, but there are a tremendous number of PCs where the players wanted their character to be in the Jean Grey/Sue Richards category. It tends to happen where the players want their characters to have romance subplots, when the player has self-esteem issues, and when the players are attention-hogs.

I suspect that's why the Pamela Isley's of the world want their to be a Comeliness stat, and why I had to police the stat. So the players can say, "no, it be my character who should get the attention".

Curiously, looking through my own list of PCs, it seems that my PCs without Attractive get more action than the ones who do.
Interesting that you'd have to police it- it must have been REALLY good in that system. So in your experience, the players were either being vain, insecure or attention-seeking? I can see that, in a way.

Glad you see my point regarding the issue coming up in my build thread. I still remember giving my huge rant a re-post to some newbie poster when he'd made the suggestion, and I think I scared him away :|.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I joke "deal with it" because I got a bunch of comments like "I always enjoy your thread... except when you stat doll characters", so I figured it'd be funny to inundate other threads with my love of that toyline's series :).
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

To put things into perspective.

The super-useful stat, Dexterity is 3 points per level.
Constitution, Body and Ego were all 2.
Strength, Intelligence and Presence were all 1.
Comliness was... 1/2.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Last edited by Ken on Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.