Warehouse W - Valiant: X-O Manowar, Ken and Randy

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Warehouse W: 2018 Re-opening - Overwatch: Soldier 76, Ana Amari

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:55 am Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Elixir of the Young X-Men. Though any number of Cosmic Beings likely hold that power, as well as some of the Heralds of Galactus.
That's true, also Thor sometimes power stunts healing effects, but it's rarely among the main powers of a character. The Heralds usually wield cosmic energy, which is so poorly defined that anything can be done with it, for all the intent and purposes it's a "plot resolution" power.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Woodclaw

#3 Overwatch - Reaper

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Benjamin Weustemaat

"They left you to die. They left me to suffer ... never forget that."

Reaper
Commander Gabriel Reyes, formerly Soldier 24

Power Level: 8; Power Points: 120; Hero Points: 2

STR: +3 (16), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +3 (16), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +1 (12), CHA: +2 (14)

Skills: Athletics 2 (+5), Awareness 3 (+4), Interaction 2 (+4/+8 [Intimidation]), Knowledge 2 (+4), Language 1 (Spanish 2; Native: English 3), Profession (Terrorist) 4 (+6), Survival 2 (+5), Thievery 2 (+5)

Feats: Ambidexterity, Assessment, Attack Specialization 1 (shotguns), Benefit 2 (Member of Talon Council), Chokehold, Defensive Roll 2, Distract (Intimidate), Dodge Focus 4, Equipment 4, Fearsome Presence 3 (5 with mask), Improved Critical 1 (shotgun), Improved Grab, Luck 1, Move-by Action, Sneak Attack 1, Startle, Task Focus 1 (Intimidate, Interaction), Twin Weapon Strike

Powers:
Genetic Mess (Immunity 6 [aging, critical hits, disease, poison, starvation & thirst]; Flaw: Limited - Half Effect; 3pp)
Death Blossom (Damage 5; PF: Progression 1 [Increase Area]; Extra: Area [burst, targeted general], Autofire 1; Flaw: Distracting; Drawbacks: Focus 2 [a crapton of loaded shotguns], Full Power, Lethal-only; 7pp)
Reaping (Regeneration 10 [Bruised, no rest; Staggered, 5 minutes; Injured, 5 minutes; Disabled, 1 hour; Resurrection, 1 week; Flaw: Source [combat, except for resurrection]; 5pp)
Wraith form (Insubstantial 2 [gaseous]; Flaw: Distracting; 8pp)
Shadowstep (Linked: Speed 2 [10 mph] + Super-movement 1 [air walk]; Flaw: Limited [only in wraith form]; 2pp)

Equipment: Lined Trenchcoat (Protection 2), Reaper's Mask (Fearsome Presence +2)
  • Crapton of Hellfire Shotguns
    • Slug (+5 ballistic damage; crit 20; 50'; Full Power, Lethal Only, Reduced Range 1)
    • Shell (+5 ballistic damage; crit 20; 50'; Full Power, Lethal Only, Reduced Range 1, Scattershot [lose 1 rank every two range increments, but halve range penalties])
Combat: Attack +7 (+9 shotguns; Grapple: +10); Defense +9 (+3 Flat-footed); Initiative +3

Saves: Toughness +5/+7 with armor (+3/+5 flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +6, Will +5

Drawbacks:
  • Involutary Transformation (into wraith form if gravely wounded [Common, DC 15]; -2pp)
Totals: Abilities 28 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Feats 28 + Powers 25 + Combat 24 + Saves 9 + Drawbacks -3 = 120

Complications
  • Enemy (Jack Morrison): Reyes and Morrison were once best friends and brothers in arms, but Gabriel resented Jack ever since he was chosen to lead Overwatch after the Omnics Crisis.
  • Insane: Reyes himself admits that he's a high-functioning psychopath. He's obsessed with his own goals and prone to kill without a solid motivation, although he always stick to the plan.
  • Obsession (the list): Reyes has a list of people he want to kill, mostly former Overwatch agents, and Jack Morrison is very close to the top.
  • Wanted (member of Talon): Reaper is the most infamous member of Talon and wanted in many countries.
:arrow: Finishing of the trinity of the original Overwatch team, Gabriel Reyes is one of the main mover of the overall plot: he was the original commader during the Omnic Crisis, with Jack Morrison as his right-hand-man, later he was "demoted" to the leader of Blackwatch and ended up betraying his friends and his team to Talon.

:arrow: What's interesting about the original power trio is that their roles seem very much interchangeable. During the Omnic Crisis Reyes was the Hero, Morrison the Lancer and Amari the Heart; later Morrison became the Hero and Reyes the Lancer; it's also possible to build an argument that Ana was the actual Hero, being the most stable and reliable of the three with Reyes and Morrison alternating in the role of the Lancer. Still, the best bit is that their relationship seems mostly platonic in nature.

:arrow: Anyway during his time with Blackwatch, Reyes underwent some massive genetic experiments from Moira O’Deorain, which further enhanced the mutantion induced by the enhanced soldier program. Reyes body is in a state of constant destruction and regeneration, which grants him the ability to heal from wounds in battle -- if this is because of an adrenaline spike or because he actually heals reaping the souls of his enemies is everyone's guess -- and destabilize his physical form becoming a cloud of black mist, but it also made him gravely unhinged.

:arrow: Fans of the game will notice that I took many liberties with Reyes's power, trying to get him into a playable ratio, first of all I removed his signature teleport ability, Based on the Infiltration short it seem that Reaper flows at high speed in wraith form, rather than straight up teleporting like in the game.

:arrow: I added a half immunity to critical hit to simulate both is partially incorporeal state and the manipulations of Moira.

:arrow: There was simply no way to model the Death Blossom as anything but a power. In many ways it's very close to the Rapid Attack Power Feat, but it reliance on the shotguns set it apart.

:idea: After rethinking and reworking some of the details I decided to remove Takedown attack, bringing Reaper to fully playable ratio.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Spectrum

Re: Warehouse W: 2018 Re-opening - Overwatch: Soldier 76, Ana Amari, Reaper

Post by Spectrum »

Overwatch is a setting that I've really come to enjoy since its been out. I'd love to play in it sometime. In the meantime, I'm going to eagerly follow your builds, curious on what comments you have and what insights you have gathered into the characters.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Woodclaw

#4 Overwatch - Reinhardt

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Gus-L

I have been called. I must answer. Always.

Reinhardt
Lieutenant Wilhelm Reinhardt

Power Level: 8; Power Points: 120; Hero Points: 3

STR: +4/+8 (18/26 with armor), DEX: +0 (10), CON: +4 (18), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +3 (16)

Skills: Awareness 2 (+4), Interaction 2 (+5/+7 [intimidate with armor]), Knowledge 2 (+2), Language 1 (English 2; Native German 3), Performance 3 (+6), Profession (military) 5 (+5), Survival 1 (+5), Technology 2 (+2), Vehicles 4 (+4)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus 2 (melee), Crushing Pin, Dedicated Dodge, Defensive Attack, Dodge Focus 3, Equipment 2, Improved Critical 1 (Rocket Hammer), Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Inspire 3, Interpose, Lionheart 1, Luck 2, Takedown Attack 2

Powers:
Crusader Armor (Device 5 [hard to Lose]; 20pp)
Rocket Hammer (Device 4 [easy to lose]; PF: Restricted 1 [large size]; 13pp)

Devices

Crusader Armor (25 pp of Effects)
  • Armor Plating (Protection 4; Extra: Impervious)
  • Metal Giant (Growth 4 [Large Size]; Extra: Construct [replace Con bonus with Impervious Toughness]; FlaW: Permanent)
  • Barrier Shield (Create Object 4; PF: Alternate Power 1, Selective, Tether; Flaw: Range 1 [Touch], Limited [Barrier Only])
    • AP: Rocket Booster (Flight 4 [50 MPH]; Drawbacks: Forward Only, Low ceiling 3 [5 feet], Wide Turns)
Rocket Hammer (20 pp of effects)
  • Strike 2 (PF: Alternate Power 2, Extended Reach 1, Knockback 4, Mighty, Split Attack 1; Extras: Penetrating [8 ranks])
    • AP: Fire Strike (Damage 8; Extras: Area [line, general]; Flaws: Action 1 [full-round])
    • AP: Earthshatter (Stun 8; Extras: Area [burst, general]; Flaws: Limited [grounded targets], Tiring)
Equipment:
Truck (Size: Huge; STR: 35; TOU +8; Speed 4 [50 MPH]; Features: Alarm 1, Communications, Off-road movement, Workshop; 6ep shared with Brigitte)
4ep in mission specific equipment

Combat: Attack +5/+4 with armor (+7/+6 melee; Grapple: +11/+19); Defense +7/+6 (+2 Flat-footed); Initiative +0

Saves: Toughness +4/+10 (Impervious 6) with armor, Fortitude +5, Reflex +3, Will +6/+10 (Lionheart)

Totals: Abilities 26 + Skills 11 (22 ranks) + Feats 23 + Powers 33 + Combat 18 + Saves 9 + Drawbacks 0 = 120

Complications
  • Honor (be their shield): Ever since witnessing his entire unit destroyed at the battle of Eichenwalde, Reinhardt has taken upon himself the duty of shielding his friends and any innocent bystander from harm.
  • Motivation (last of the Crusaders):Reinhardt is the only Crusader that survived the battle of Eichenwalde, he strive to keep up the legend of the unit and the legacy of his late commander Balderich von Adler.
  • Old Soldier: Reinhardt is the oldest surviving member of the original Overwatch, so old in fact that he was forced out of active duty before the organization was shut down.
  • Responsibility (knight & squire): Appropriately for someone who style himself after a knight errant, Reinhardt feel a duty to mentor and protect his "squire" -- in actual fact technical engineer -- Brigitte Lindholm ... especially because her parents would kill him otherwise.
:arrow: The last survining member of the crusaders, Reinhardt fills an interesting spot in Overwatch's lore: he was not the original pick for the team. Back during the Omnic Crisis Lieutenant Wilhelm Reinhardt was brash asshole interested only in gaining fame by trashing Omnics by the dozen. It was during the battle of Eichenwalde, after witnessing the destruction of most of his unit and the heroic last stand of his commanding officier, General Balderich von Adler, that Reinhardt really became a hero.

:arrow: Of course, Reinhardt fills the Big Guy spot -- of the Boisterous Bruiser persuasion -- among the Five-Men-Band of the original Overwatch. Not only he's a ham of Brian Blessed propotions, he's also the tallest character in game (at least in armor). While the most interesting part of his characterization comes from his past and the true motivation behind his selfless need to protect others, there's also another bit that I found really good: Reinhardt was actually forced out of the original Overwatch about a year or two before the end; forcing him to witness the team going down without having the chance of doing anything. This gave the character an unexpected gravitas that boisterous bruisers often lack.

:arrow: There's one bit of the entire lore that rubs me the wrong way: in theory the Crusaders were a paramilitary "knightly order" that worked in close collaboration with the Bundeswehr's Mobile Infantry Battalion ... which doesn't make much sense to me. While I can imagine that the unit was originally comprised by private contractor, I think that the German goverment wouldn't allow such hardware to be in the hand of a private organization, especially in war time.

:arrow: Some panels of the Dragonslayer comic seem to imply that Reinhardt might suffer from some form of "Don Quixote Syndrome" and combat allucinations. While the Quixote was a definite inspiration, there are no other reference to this problems, so I left them out of the build.

:arrow: There's very little to say about the build: Reinhardt is a simple and massive tank that can take ungodly amount of punishment and return it with glee; he can act as a piece of mobile cover or a battering ram depending on the need of the moment.

:arrow: The Earthshatter is very powerful, but the shockwave only travel upward a couple of meters (that's slightly less than 6'11") making it useless against flying targets.

:arrow: The Construct extra is a +0 modifier to the Growth power, it remove the Con bonus and replace it with an equivalent Impervious Toughness bonus (i.e. +2 CON = +1 Impervious Toughness).

:arrow: I'm not too happy about giving Reinhardt high Strength and Constitution, given he's 61, but considering how big he is even without the armor I couldn't help (also RAW this means he had 20 in his prime, which works).
Last edited by Woodclaw on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jabroniville

Re: Warehouse W: 2018 Re-opening - Overwatch: Soldier 76, Ana Amari, Reaper, Reinhardt

Post by Jabroniville »

Create (vs) Force Field is tricky for most of these guys- they seem to have elements of both. Can't people just walk through the "Barrier Field"?

Reinhardt is REALLY similar to Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K stuff- with those giant shoulder pads, he's basically a Space Marine.

This whole time, I thought Brigitte was REINHARDT's daughter.
Woodclaw

Re: Warehouse W: 2018 Re-opening - Overwatch: Soldier 76, Ana Amari, Reaper, Reinhardt

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:41 pm Create (vs) Force Field is tricky for most of these guys- they seem to have elements of both. Can't people just walk through the "Barrier Field"?
That's true, but I really don't know how to model it. In game people can walk right through the barrier, but in the lauch trailer Reinhardt use it to stop a moltov cocktail, so it doesn't fit the SG1 kinetic shield bill. I considered a number of options, but none really fit: force field was ungodly expensive and didn't seem to really work in the context of "barrier other people can hide behind". In general Reinhardt's and, Orisa's shields are nothing more than a piece of mobile cover.

Also, I just realized that I might need to add a bit extra Toughness to that barrier ... sigh, the job is never over.

Maybe I can another limited flaw [bullets only] and add ranks of extra Toughness to the barrier ... what do you think?
Reinhardt is REALLY similar to Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K stuff- with those giant shoulder pads, he's basically a Space Marine.
Not that Blizzard had ever being shy of giant pauldrons :P
This whole time, I thought Brigitte was REINHARDT's daughter.
Nope, her dad is next in line. BTW: I considered making Brigitte Reinhardt's sidekick, but right now we know precious little about her actual skill (she's a good engineer and loves to exercise) so I decided against it.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Isn't there a Transparent Extra for Force Fields that allows people to fire out of them, but still allows them to block attacks?
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:46 pm I think that the design team really nailed Ana's look: you can clearly see that she was a beauty when she was younger and she still looks extremely dignified (or as Reinhardt says "as lovey as ever").
While the game is of a genre I really don't enjoy, the character designs are truly top notch. I don't think I could name 5 of them that I don't like. As for Ana being beautiful when younger, well, the apple did not fall far from the tree there, since her daughter is a total knockout.

And Brigitte is a little* buff bundle of adorable.

*Well, she probably just looks little next to giant-grampa Reinhardt XD
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:20 pm Isn't there a Transparent Extra for Force Fields that allows people to fire out of them, but still allows them to block attacks?
That's the Selective Power Feat.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

danelsan wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:27 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:46 pm I think that the design team really nailed Ana's look: you can clearly see that she was a beauty when she was younger and she still looks extremely dignified (or as Reinhardt says "as lovey as ever").
While the game is of a genre I really don't enjoy, the character designs are truly top notch. I don't think I could name 5 of them that I don't like. As for Ana being beautiful when younger, well, the apple did not fall far from the tree there, since her daughter is a total knockout.

And Brigitte is a little* buff bundle of adorable.

*Well, she probably just looks little next to giant-grampa Reinhardt XD
Yeah, Brigitte's ridiculously cute. She's like a Baby Zarya. I will say no more, until I know her exact age :).
Maybe I can another limited flaw [bullets only] and add ranks of extra Toughness to the barrier ... what do you think?
That might work. I was going with "Force Field- Limited to the Front", though your way fits more for "Mobile Cover". It's just a weird thing conceptually, and part of how video games are different from M&M and comics.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 pm
That might work. I was going with "Force Field- Limited to the Front", though your way fits more for "Mobile Cover". It's just a weird thing conceptually, and part of how video games are different from M&M and comics.
The big problem with Force Field is that it will goes against PL-caps, while cover doesn't.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 pm That's the Selective Power Feat.
Is it? I could have sworn there was something in Ultimate Power related to this. I'll check tonight, even if its just for my own edification.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Yojimbo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 pm That's the Selective Power Feat.
Is it? I could have sworn there was something in Ultimate Power related to this. I'll check tonight, even if its just for my own edification.
Going by my copy of UP, a Create Object effect with the Selective PF might allow certain attacks to pass through.
Force field doesn't have anything of the sort, unless you buy the Both Direction Flaw, in which case you subtract the Field rank from the power of any attack.

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Yeah, it was the Create Object thing I was thinking of. Mea culpa.
Doc chaos

Post by Doc chaos »

Nice! 2e survives. Looks good with Overwatch too. Quick cross over idea from the vast experience that is The MnM Multiverse, The Centurions (Power Xtreme) vs Overwatch! They're out there somewhere.