Warehouse W - Valiant: X-O Manowar, Ken and Randy

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Warehouse W - Overwatch second wave: Mercy, Tracer, Mei

Post by Woodclaw »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:58 pm Great stuff, Woodclaw. As I noted on Jab's thread, my son is all about Overwatch and as a matter of fact, since he's home from school today because of his stomach flu, he's playing right now since I just heard him shout "GET ON THE POINT!" :)

Ah, Mei. Reminds me that I need to tell Jab to get his greedy mitts off my WAIFU! He's commited to Cyclone anyway, he can't hog them all!
That never stopped Jab before :P
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Re: Warehouse W - Overwatch second wave: Mercy, Tracer, Mei

Post by Jabroniville »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! MEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!! So cute and cuddly!

Don't worry Thorp- she's only my #2, so you can have her if I can have Zarya.

Also- shoot. I need to give Mei ranks of Survival, too. (edit: Oh wait, I did. Thank goodness)
Woodclaw

#9 Overwatch - Winston

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Brolken

"Look, the people decided they were better off without us. They even called us criminals! They tore our family apart. But look around! Someone has to do something! We have to do something! We can make a difference again. The world needs us now, more than ever! Are you with me?"

Winston
Specimen 28

Power Level: 8 (7 on Offense when not raging); Power Points: 120; Hero Points: 2

STR: +5/+9 (20/28), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +5 (20), INT: +6 (22), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

Skills: Athletics 4 (+5), Awareness 2 (+4), Interaction 3 (+5), Language 1 (Spanish 2; Native: English 3), Science 4 (+10), Technology 4 (+10)

Feats: Attack Focus 3 (melee), Attack Specialization 2 (Tesla Cannon), Beginner's Luck, Crushing Pin, Dodge Focus 6, Equipment 1, Improved Grab, Inventor, Luck 1, Rage 3 (durantion 10 rounds), Teamwork 1

Powers:
Ape Senses (Super-senses 2 [Low-light vision, Scent]; 2pp)
Ape Size (Growth 4 [Large]; PF: Quiet Giant 1; Flaw: Permanent; 13pp)
Long-limbed (adds Extended Reach 1 to unarmed attacks; 1pp)
Prensile Feet (Feature 1; 1pp)
Rocket Suit (Device 1 [hard to lose]; 4pp)
Tesla Cannon (Device 4 [easy to lose]; PF: Alternate Power 1; 13pp)
  • AP: Field Generator (Device 1 [easy to lose])
Devices

Rocket Suit (5 pp of Effects)
  • Jump-Jets (Leaping 3 [jump distance x10])
  • Protection 2
Tesla Cannon (20 pp of Effects)
  • Blast 6 (PF: Split Attack 2 [3 targets]; Extra: Duration 1 [Concentration])
Field Generator (5 pp of Effects)
  • Field Dome (Create Objects 5; PF: Progression 1 [object size], Selective; Extra: Independent [ablative]; Flaw: Limited [dome only], Range 1 [Touch])
Equipment: Prescription Glasses
Watchpoint Gibraltar (Borrowed HQ; Size: Huge [building]; TOU: +15; Features: Communications, Computer [Athena], Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security system 1, Workshop)
3ep in mission specific equipment

Combat: Attack +4 (+7 melee, +8 with Tesla Cannon; Grapple: +17); Defense +9/+7 raging (+2 Flat-footed); Initiative +2

Saves: Toughness +5/+7 with armor, Fortitude +6/+10 raging, Reflex +5, Will +5/+9 raging

Drawbacks:
  • Disability (nearsighted [common, minor]; -2pp)
Totals: Abilities 32 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Feats 22 + Powers 34 + Combat 18 + Saves 7 - Drawbacks 2 = 120

Complications
  • Berserker: Usually Winston is a calm and collected ape of the blue persuasion ... until someone really make him go bananas.
  • Perfectionist: Winston is arguably the most intelligent being on the planet and this usually make him go the extra mile in everything he does, even when time is of the essence.
  • Prejudice (monkey): Winston has been a hero ever since he came to Earth, but in spite of that some people still treat him as a pet at best.
  • Secret (fate of Horizon): Winston is the only survivor of the Horizon Luna Colony massacre and the only one who knows what really happened.
:arrow: One of the most oddballs recruits of Overwatch -- and apparently very opposed by Gabriel Reyes - Winston is a former test subject of experiments on the Horizon Luna Colony. When the bulk of his fellow test subjects rebelled and killed their keeper, Winston tried to talk reason, only to be put on an escape pod and hurled toward Earth. There he was discovered by Overwatch and later inducted to the team.

:arrow: There's precious little we know about Winston in the following years. While he was one Overwatch's most decorated agents (he was the one who prevented Doomfist from escaping and potentially killing Tracer and Genji), but after the team was shut down he pretty much holed up at the old Watchpoint Gibraltar base until Reaper and Windowmaker got there looking for the team database. This makes a lot of sense, since he couldn't blend in like some of the others.

:arrow: In game terms Winsotn was a challenge, because merging the physicality of a great ape with genius level intellect is usually the recipee for disaster. I had to cut many angles, but I wanted Winston to be clearly smarter than some of his friends and foes: Mercy, Moira and Torby are all incredibly ingenious inventors, but they mostly worked with established techs, Winston make breakthrough into fields previously unexplored (i.e. Tracer's chronal accelerator).

:arrow: As far as powers go there is just one note: I APed (pun not intended) the Field Generator to the Tesla Cannon because its Indipendent Duration allows it to keep operating after Winston change configuration again (that's how I remember the rules at least).

:arrow: Of course Winston reach is full devastating power only while Raging (his Ultimate) and he start punching his way through the opponents.

:arrow: Personal notes time. Winston is kind of problematic, the character is nice, the animation is a testament to the team's talent, but he's kind of boring. The Horizon backstory has the potential to blow the game open, but so far it was used only to create a new map and that's that :(
Last edited by Woodclaw on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jabroniville

Re: Warehouse W - Overwatch second wave: Mercy, Tracer, Mei, Winston

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, Winston's backstory is very odd- the whole MOON COLONY OF APES thing is only mentioned in his bio, when you'd think that would be this huge, gigantic deal. Methinks the creators kind of knew how silly that would come off, so they'd rather focus on their "Robot War" backstory with all the discrimination and such. Winston's backstory feels like someone threw Silver Age DC logic into their world of Robo-Wars.
Davies

Post by Davies »

On the other hand, animal uplift is something that often features in imagined worlds with a transhumanist or cyberpunk feel, which does describe Overwatch, I think.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 pm Yeah, Winston's backstory is very odd- the whole MOON COLONY OF APES thing is only mentioned in his bio, when you'd think that would be this huge, gigantic deal. Methinks the creators kind of knew how silly that would come off, so they'd rather focus on their "Robot War" backstory with all the discrimination and such. Winston's backstory feels like someone threw Silver Age DC logic into their world of Robo-Wars.
Davies wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:36 pm On the other hand, animal uplift is something that often features in imagined worlds with a transhumanist or cyberpunk feel, which does describe Overwatch, I think.
Well, the in-game footage fo the Horizon map implies that the entire colony accounted for 30-ish specimen, hardly a colony. Also some details imply that a future character might be one of Winston's peers.
In general I have the feeling that the writing team is trying to keep as many open plots as possible to add future events.

Woodclaw

#10 Overwatch - Jesse McCree

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Petri Rahkola

"It's been a long day. And I wouldn't mind a five-minute head start."

Jesse McCree

Power Level: 8; Power Points: 117; Hero Points: 4

STR: +2/+4 (14/18), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +2 (14), INT: +1 (12), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +2 (14)

Skills: Athletics 2 (+6/+8 with left arm), Awareness 5 (+8), Interaction 4 (+6), Knowledge 4 (+5), Language - (native: Very U.S. English) Performance 2 (+4), Profession (old style criminal, CHA) 3 (+5), Profession (Blackwatch Agent, INT) 6 (+7), Survival 3 (+5), Technology 2 (+3), Thievery 2 (+6), Vehicles 1 (+5)

Feats: Ambidexterity, Attack Focus 2 (ranged), Connected, Cunning Fighter, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 4, Equipment 4, Fanning the Hammer, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 3 (Revolvers), Improved Initiative 1, Improved Pin, Improved Trick, Luck 3, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Quick Draw 2, Seize Initiative, Sneak Attack 1, Track, Ultimate Gunslinger, Uncanny Dodge 1 (visual)

Powers:
Cybernetic Arm (Container 1 [passive]; Extra: Artificial; 5pp)
  • Enhanced Strength 4 (PF: Improved Grip; Flaw: Limited [left arm only])
  • Shield 1
Equipment: Booze and Cigars, Undercover Armor (Protection 2 [subtle])
Arsenal (array)
  • Peacekeeper Pulse Revolver (+5 ballistic damage; crit 20; 50'; Full Power, Lethal)
  • Flashbang Grenades (Dazzle 5 [visual and auditory]; 20' [throw]; Area [burst], Full Power)
4ep in mission specific equipment

Combat: Attack +7 (+9 ranged; Grapple: +11); Defense +10 (+3 Flat-footed); Initiative +7

Saves: Toughness +4/+6 with armor (+2/+4 Flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +6, Will +5

Totals: Abilities 28 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Feats 35 + Powers 6 + Combat 24 + Saves 7 + Drawbacks 0 = 117

Complications
  • Checkered Past: Before joining Blackwatch, Jesse was a wanted criminal and even after that he did some very questionable things.
  • Honor (just one good man): Jesse behave according to a code of honor that is half Robin Hood, half the Man With No Name. He often stand up for those who can't and take the blame before riding off into the sunset.
  • Old Fashioned: Jesse is incredibly respectful of women, to the point of looking a bit outdated and sexist, although he has no qualms about recognizing their skills, authority or station.
  • Wanted (a lot): Jesse has knack for being at the wrong place, in the wrong moment and getting the blame, even when he has done nothing.
:arrow: Young Jesse McCree was a member of the Deadlock Gang, a criminal organization trafficking in guns through the U.S. South-West, after Overwatch busted them in the aftermath of the Omnic Crisis, Gabriel Reyes gave Jesse the big choice: join the newly former Blackwatch or root in a maximum security stockade. In spite of his cynical view of the thing, Jesse turned out to be the one straight man in the team and actually a good friend to many other members of Overwatch (especially Ana, who he regarded as a mentor figure).

:arrow: After Overwatch was disbanded, Jesse wandered across the "old frontier" vigilante style. Righting wrongs, gunning down wanted felons and, generally, taking the blame for any crime happening within 50 miles from him. In a classic A-Team scenario this won him lot of friends in many places, but also made him a wanted man, always on the run.

:arrow: Jesse is an extremely simple a linear build, with very little to it. The Fanning the Hammer feat simply allows him to unleash an autofire attack from his revolver as a full-round action. His ultimate Deadeye is simply a combination of the above mentioned Fanning the Hammer and Ultimate Gunslinger (Ultimate Aim with crits, but limited to pistols). This is not as the game makes it work, but it's close enough for me.

:arrow: Jab noted how McCree looks extremely dated (as a 1990s reimaginign of the classic cow-boy tropes), but for some reason he really resonate with me. His style is very reminescent of ... well many of my oldest RPG characters in general. In his own words Jesse "ain't goodd, ain't bad, but sure as hell ain't ugly", which is not that accurate. Jesse might not be one of the good guys, but he's definitely a moral character ... too bad his morals are very much out of date.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Woodclaw

#11 Overwatch - Genji

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Jose Vega

"Perhaps I am a fool to think that there is still hope for you, but I do. Think on that, brother."

Genji Shimada (島田源氏)

Power Level: 8; Power Points: 120; Hero Points: 2

STR: +2 (14), DEX: +8 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +1 (12), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +0 (10)

Skills: Athletics 6 (+8), Awareness 3 (+6), Knowledge 2 (+3), Language 2 (English 3, another at level 1; native: Japanese 3), Profession (Assassin, INT) 5 (+6), Technology 2 (+3), Thievery 4 (+8)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Focus 2 (melee), Dodge Focus 5, Elusive Target, Equipment 2, Improved Block 1, Improved Critical 2 (swords), Improved Initiative 1, Improved Trick, Luck 1, Power Attack, Sneak Attack 1

Powers:
Armored Exoskeleton (Protection 4; 4pp)
Cyber-Agility (Leaping 1 [jumping distance x2]; 1pp)
Shimada Training (Super-movement 2 [wall-crawling]; Flaw: Limited [while running]; 2pp)
Full-body Cyborg (Immunity 30 [Fortitude]; Flaw: Half-effect; Drawbacks: Weak Spot; 14pp)
Cyber-ninja (Array 6; PF: alternate Power 3; 15pp)
  • Base Power: Shuriken Dispenser (Blast 1; PF: Accurate 1, Improved Critical 1, Mighty 2; Extra: Autofire 1)
  • AP: Swift Strike (adds Area [trail, targeted] to melee attacks and +2 ranks to Leaping)
  • AP: Deflection (Immunity 40 [physical attacks]; Extra: Reflection; Flaw: Check Required [Parry], Duration [concentration], Limited [ranged only]; Drawbacks: Power loss 2 [against area effects])
  • AP: Dragon Blade (adds Penetrating [8 ranks], Autofire 1 and Tiring to melee attacks)
Equipment:
Daisho (array)
  • Katana (+3 slashing damage; crit 19; Adaptable)
  • Wakizashi (+2 slashing damage; crit 19)
3ep in mission specific equipment

Combat: Attack +6 (+8 melee or with shurikens; Grapple: +10); Defense +10 (+3 Flat-footed); Initiative +8

Saves: Toughness +6, Fortitude +5, Reflex +7, Will +6

Drawbacks:
  • Vulnerable (electricity [common, +50% DC]; 3pp)
Totals: Abilities 24 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Feats 20 + Powers 36 + Combat 22 + Saves 9 - Drawbacks 3 = 120

Complications
  • Debt (to Zenyatta): After many years of considering himself a monster, Genji was able to find peace thanks to the Omnic monk Zenyatta.
  • Enemy (the Shimada Clan): after joining Blackwatch Genji worked hard to bring down his family criminal empire and he still hope to achieve this goal.
  • Love (Angela Ziegler): In a classic Florence Nightingale moment Genji fell in (mutual) love with the beautiful medic who brought him back from the the brink.
  • Rivalry (Hanzo): While he seem to have forgiven his older borther, there's still some ongoing rust between the Shimadas.
:arrow: The younger of the two siblings of the Shimada clan, in his youth Genji wasnt' interested at all in the family illegal business, in spite of natural talent for the art of assassination. After the untimely death of his father Genji's older brother, Hanzo, ordered him to get involved in the family business. This lead to series of conforntation culminating in Hanzo apparently killing his brother. In actual fact, Genji survived, was rescued by Overwatch and put under the care of the newly formed medical division. Doctor Angela Ziegler rebuilt him into a cyborg and he later joined Blackwatch.

:arrow: Feeling like a Frankstein monster Genji grew isolated (the friction with his teammate Jesse McCree didn't help) and vanished in the shadows shortly after the team dissolution. It was a random encounter with the Omnic monk Zenyatta that put him on the path of peace. In spite of Genji's initial rejection, the robotic monk helped him accept his own nature and his half-mechanical body. On the tenth anniversary of his "death", Genji returned to the family temple and confronted his brother and forgive him, seeing how Hanzo was still in mourning and had left the clan as well.

:arrow: Build-wise, there is just one major: Deflect. (warning rule-ranting incoming) :geek: No matter how I look at it, Deflect is one of the big design fails of both 2E and 3E. As a concept it's fine, but it overlaps with parry and being limited by the Defense rank it makes it pretty much useless. Back in 2012-2013 I tried reworking it as a modified immunity, which is what I'm using here. Another option I considered was to apply a Impervious/Reflective effect to the Defense score, making it auto-parry any attack with an attack score below the defense rank. I really need some insight on this one.

:arrow: Well, no matter how well I build him, Genji always feel half-baked and it's no wonder why. In game terms he's more or less fine, all his iconic abilities are present, but he's ... just so bare bones. even compared with the other characters (many of them very trope-heavy) Genji feels like a pastiche of every wrong element I can think of. It doesn't help that, as L-Space noted, most of his potential backstory is already behind him.

Jabroniville

Re: Warehouse W - Overwatch: Tracer, Mei, Winston; Blackwatch: McCree, Genji

Post by Jabroniville »

McCree & Genji are probably the most "Generic" of the Overwatch cast, just in terms of their capabilities and special attacks. Probably the easiest to do without messing about with their "Ultimates" as well.

So McCree's hand is actually cybernetic?
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Thank you for this. I was certainly hoping Overwatch would get some more builds, and the fact this is 2E makes me quite happy.

-STS
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:40 am McCree & Genji are probably the most "Generic" of the Overwatch cast, just in terms of their capabilities and special attacks. Probably the easiest to do without messing about with their "Ultimates" as well.
Yes and no. There are actually several way to model them, but in general I think that going with a simpler solution is better.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:40 am So McCree's hand is actually cybernetic?
There's no definitve proof of it, but many details seem to indicate so, including his concept art.
slade the sniper wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 am Thank you for this. I was certainly hoping Overwatch would get some more builds, and the fact this is 2E makes me quite happy.

-STS
You're welcome, I'm just sorry that my job doesn't allow me to do more.

Woodclaw

#12 Overwatch - Moira

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Chenuka Ratwatte

"They believed my methods were too radical, too controversial. They tried to silence me. But there were others in the shadows searching for ways to circumvent their rules. Freed from my shackles, the pace of our research hastened. Together we delved deeper into those areas forbidden by law, by morality, and by fear."

Moira
Doctor Moira O'Deorain

Power Level: 7 (8 using Coalescence); Power Points: 116; Hero Points: 3

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +5 (20), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +1 (12)

Skills: Awareness 3 (+5), Interaction 2 (+3), Language 2 (Arabic 2, Irish Gaelic 2; Native: Englihs 3), Profession (Genetist, INT) 5 (+10), Science 3 (+8/+12 Genetics), Technology 1 (+6)

Feats: Attack Specialization 3 (Biotic Control), Benefit 1 (Diplomatic Immunity), Benefit 1 (Member of Talon's Council), Dodge Focus 6, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 1, Luck 2, Skill Mastery 1 (Science, Technology), Task Focus 1 (Genetics, Science) (+4), Ultimate Geneticist

Powers:
Biotic Augumentation (Immunity 4 [aging, disease, poison, sleep]: Flaw: Half-effect; 2pp)
Transhuman Biotic Control (Array 13; PF: Alternate Power 5; Drawbacks: Power Loss 2 [after using Coalescence]; 29pp)
  • Base Power + AP: Biotic Grasp (Damage 5 [Concentration, Vampiric] or Healing 5 [Total, Others Only]; Extra: Area [line, targeted]; Drawback: Full Power)
  • APs: Biotic Sphere (Damage 5 [Vampiric] or Healing 5; PF: Homing 3 [5 attempts], Ricochet 3; Extra: Range 1 [ranged]; Drawback: Full Power)
  • AP: Coalescence (Damage 7 [Concentration, Vampiric] + Healing 7 [Total, Others Only]; Extra: Area [line targeted], Selective Attack; Flaw: Distracting, Tiring; Drawback: Full Power)
  • AP: Fade (Teleport 4 [400']; PF: Change Direction, Change Velocity; Flaw: Limited [visible destination], Short Range Only)
Biotic Harness (Device 2 [hard to lose]; 8pp)

Devices

Biotic Harness (10 pp of Effects)
  • Bio-scanner (Super-senses 7 [Analitycal 2 [Detect + Normal sight], Detect chemicals; Microscopic vision 2 (cell-size)])
  • Lined Polymer (Protection 3)
  • Nanites Reservoir (removes Power Loss from the Biotic Control)
Equipment: Medikit (basic)

4ep in mission specific equipment

Combat: Attack +3 (+9 with Biotic Control; Grapple: +3); Defense +10 (+2 Flat-footed); Initiative +2

Saves: Toughness +2/+5 with armor, Fortitude +6, Reflex +4, Will +5

Totals: Abilities 24 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Feats 18 + Powers 45 + Combat 12 + Saves 9 = 116

Complications
  • Obsession (on the brink of a breakthrough): Moira is convinced that she's close to a pivotal breakthrough in genetics and won't stop at nothing to complete her research.
  • Reputation (the witch of Oasis): Even before joining Blackwatch, Moira was considered a brilliant and controversial scientists to say the least.
  • Responsibility (Minister of Oasis): After Overwatch was disbanded, Moira acepted the offer of becoming Oasis Minister of Genetics. It's unclear how much she is really dedicated to the well-being of the city, though.
:arrow: Consider one of the most brilliant and radical scientific minds of her time, Moira O'Deorain was already a famed geniticist when Overwatch came down on her like a sledgehammer. Inhumanly smart and amoral, she was willing to push way beyond the boundaries ethical research were all over the map. After her operation was shut down Gabriel Reyes hired her as medical and genetic consultant for Blackwatch. In spite of the ongoing friction with her teamates Genji and McCree -- not to mention her scientific clashes with Angela Ziegler -- Moira kept going and her experiments become more and more extreme.

:arrow: The dissolution of Overwatch and Blackwatch didn't bother Moira that much (if anything she probably felt vindicated). Thanks to her research she was offered the position of minister of genetics of the city-state of Oasis. around this time she also joined the ranks of Talon alongside her old teamate Reyes, now known as Reaper, who has become a smoke ghost as a consequence of Moira's experiments. At the present Moira simply serve as Talon chief scienfic advisor, it's unclear if she has any real loyalty to anyone but herself.

:arrow: Moira is the most recent addition to Overwatch's cast (although a new character seem to be imminent) and is very interesting concept: a truly amoral -- and terrifying -- healer. Most of her abilities lend themselves surprisingly good to M&M thanks to the Vampiric Extra and the fact that they're, for the most part, mutually exclusive. Coalescensce is just insane as it is in game and I had to add both Tiring and Distracting to make it even remotely usable in terms of cost. Fade was meant to be a more controllable version of Reaper's Wraith Form, but until I saw Moira become gas Teleport is the next best thing.

:arrow: Moira wins first, second and third prize for the creepiest design in Overwatch. In many ways it's absolutely brilliant -- she reminds me a lot of the mythological version of Hel, one side alive and one side dead -- and push the ambigous nature up to eleven: she has etherochromia, he left beam heal, while the right one harms, even her gender is not apparent at first glance. She's in many way a transhumanist love letter, undefined, gender-fluid, completely amoral and yet tragically human in her obsessions. it's kind of ironic for me to say so (I don't like transhumanism), but I really think her design works.
Last edited by Woodclaw on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabroniville

Re: Warehouse W - Overwatch: Tracer, Mei, Winston; Blackwatch: McCree, Genji, Moira

Post by Jabroniville »

One thing I notice about McCree now that I think about it, is that he looks like 90% of the art in Rifts: New West. That "Cybernetic Cowboy" look is all OVER that RPG sourcebook. It's a fun book to read, though- I can see why they came up with the same design theories.

Moira is an odd one. I get the unique concept (EVIL HEALER!), but she's off-puttingly weird. Maybe it's the whole "Androgyny" thing. Or the "less stylish Phantom of the Opera" get-up.
Woodclaw

Re: Warehouse W - Overwatch: Tracer, Mei, Winston; Blackwatch: McCree, Genji, Moira

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:19 am One thing I notice about McCree now that I think about it, is that he looks like 90% of the art in Rifts: New West. That "Cybernetic Cowboy" look is all OVER that RPG sourcebook. It's a fun book to read, though- I can see why they came up with the same design theories.
I've never been a fan of Rifts (or any Palladium game) so I can't really comment on this one.
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:19 am Moira is an odd one. I get the unique concept (EVIL HEALER!), but she's off-puttingly weird. Maybe it's the whole "Androgyny" thing. Or the "less stylish Phantom of the Opera" get-up.
I think that the entire point of Moira is looking odd and off-putting. She's not meant to look comforting or helping, she's meant to look like a witch or a demon. Often the transhuman aestetic is based around the idea of a character that looks human, but is not. That's Moira in a nutshell, she looks human-ish, but she isn't human at all. She didn't just skid along the uncanny valley, she jumped right in.

Woodclaw

#13 Overwatch - Widowmaker

Post by Woodclaw »

Picture by Floriane Tiam

"When I was a girl, I had a fear of spiders."

Widowmaker
Amélie Lacroix, née Guillard

Power Level: 8; Power Points: 120; Hero Points: 2

STR: +1 (12), DEX: +4 (18), CON: +2 (14), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +0 (10)

Skills: Athletics 5 (+6), Awareness 6 (+9), Interaction 4 (+4/+8 [Attractive]), Knowledge 3 (+5), Language 1 (English2; Native: French 3), Performance 5 (+5), Profession (Assassin, INT) 6 (+8), Survival 3 (+5), Thievery 5 (+9)

Feats: Assessment, Attack Focus 2 (ranged), Attractive 1, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Distract, Distracting Looks 2/4, Dodge Focus 5, Equipment 5, Evasive Retreat 1 (half-speed), Finding the Weak Spot, Improved Aim, Improved Concealment, Improved Critical 4 (Sniper Rifle), Improved Initiative 1, Luck 1, Power Attack, Precise Shot 1, Quick Draw 1, Sneak Attack 1, Sniper, Ultimate Sharpshooter, Veteran Fighter

Powers:
Cold-Blooded (Concealment 1 [Infrared-based senses]; PF: Close Range; 3pp)
Neural Dampeners (Immunity 5 [emotional effects]; Drawbacks: Power Loss 1 [anything related to Gérard]; 4pp)
Multi-focus Visor (Device 1; 4pp)

Devices

Multi-focus Visor (5 pp of Effects)
  • Infra-Vision (Super-Senses 8 [Distance Sense, Infravision, Extended 1 (visual senses), Penetrating Concealment (Infravision), Tracking 2]; Flaw: Distracting)
  • Commlink (Super-senses 1 [communication link])
Equipment: Armored Catsuit (Protection 2 [Subtle]; +2 ranks to Distracting Looks), Grappling Hook (Super-Movement 1 [swinging] + Speed 2 [10 mph, limited to swinging])
Arsenal (array)
  • Widow's Kiss, Sniper Mode (+5 ballistic damage; crit 19; 250'; Full Power, Lethal; Scope)
  • Widow's Kiss, Burst Mode (+5 ballistic damage; 50'; Full Power, Lethal)
  • Venom Mine (+4 toxic damage; 20' [throw]; Area [cloud, targeted], Poison [+2 saves]; Unreliable [5 uses])
1ep in mission specific equipment

Combat: Attack +7 (+9 ranged; Grapple: +8); Defense +10 (+3 Flat-footed); Initiative +4

Saves: Toughness +4/+6 with armor (+2/+4 Flat-footed), Fortitude +5, Reflex +6, Will +4

Totals: Abilities 24 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Feats 36 + Powers 11 + Combat 24 + Saves 6 + Drawbacks 0 = 120

Complications
  • Emotional Mess: After her kidnapping by Talon Amélie endured throught an ungodly amount of experiments that pretty much destroyed her normal emotional responses. She seem to feel any kind of joy or even pleasure only while she's about to shot someone.
  • Heartbroken Widow: The only bit of Amélie's personality that still seem to be intact is her love for her late husband Gérard. It's unclear how or why, but she still mourn him to this day.
  • Noticeable: Although she doesn't look much like her old self anymore, Amélie was famous ballet dancer. Right now she stands out because of her ice-cold blue skin.
  • Wanted: Amélie is considered the world's deadliest assassin and has killed many, including the Omnic monk and political activist Mondatta.
:arrow: The last heiress of a wealthy family from southern France, Amélie Guillard wished nothing more than to become an accomplished ballet dancer. She was already considered the next étoile of Paris when she married Gérard Lacroix, an agent of Overwatch. Gérard had been the target of several attempts from Talon to assisinate him, but they all failed. In the end the terrorist organization decided to kidnap Amélie and brainwash her into a sleeper agent, Manciurian Candidate style, and left her for Overwatch to find. Two weeks later she killed her husband while he was asleep, staged her kidnapping and returned to Talon. For an undetermined period of time she endured countless experiments that stripped her of any emotion, slowed her heart rate down to a crawl, causing her body temperature to drop and her skin to turn blue, all aimed to make her into a superhuman sniper.

:arrow: Soon thereafter she was fielded against Overwatch and managed to kill several agents before Ana Amari incapacitated her, in retaliation she shot out Ana's right eye when the old sniper hesitated to shot a former friend. From there on Widowmaker became Talon's top assassin and was often fielded to carry out difficult executions, often alongside Reaper. Her recent success might as well be the most devastating: shortly before the Overwatch recall, she killed Tekhartha Mondatta the Omnic monk and political activist who was trying to bridge the gap between human and omnics in the UK. Ever since the assassination the tension in London has risen to levels unseen since the Null Sector attack.

:arrow: Gameplay wise, there's very little to Widowmaker, she's a sniper through-and-through with little frills or tricks. The biggest change I made from the videogame is that she can't automatically provide Infravision to the entire squad, but she can rely information through her commlink.

:arrow: One weapon nerd note. Someone asked me why did I stat a multi-configuration weapon like the Widow's Kiss as Equipment. Well, it's the case that exists some real world weapons that operates under the principle of allowing a single weapon to fulfill multiple battlefield roles with minimum modifications. The first of this kind was probably the Fallschirmjägergewehr 42 used by the German paratroopers during WW2. A later example was the Stoner 63 used by the U.S.Army in Vietnam. As far as I can tell the Widow's Kiss is more or less a sci-fi version of these weapons.

:arrow: Okay, what I can say about Widowmaker ... well, she's a character I love to hate. Her kit is really cool and fun to play, but I really can't get over how her design irks me. I have to say that her extreme thinness, while off putting, it's not so bad, it's not that uncommon among ballet dancers, but everything else ... From the Bayonetta-like proportions to the exagarated black widow personality, I had a hard time even considering playing her. I get it, the idea was exactly to make her exagirated, but it's really hard for me not to feel as if my skin is crawling.