Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dino-Riders- Diplodocus! T-Rex! Brontosaurus! Kill Bill!)

Post by Spectrum »

.. somehow I was expecting more from Jab's collection.

To his credit, he actually takes stuff out of the back- suggesting more having fun with the toys rather than gazing up them as unapproachable 'investments'.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

ah Kill Bill.

love that series, though I remember ALOT of people walking out of the screening of the first one (and a girl I knew tried to convince me not to go see it because she heard it sucked....much later I realized she totally wanted to hang out with me...damn it)

But yeah, it's good stuff. my niece and nephew absolutely loved it (along with Sin City) back in the 2000s and we always had a good time with them.

glad to see Jab statted this up. never would have expected it. good stuff man. good good stuff,
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

also it's pretty crazy how big those Dino Riders figures were. I never really had any of the big ones, so I wasn't sure of their scale.

I also find it hilarious Krang's body is bigger than a friggin Transformers combiner
proditor

Post by proditor »

LOVE the Dino-Rider builds! They were one of the toys I was too old to get into, and I couldn't convince my younger brothers that they were cool. :)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Strike anyone else as odd that they gave the black (cro magnon) man a sloth? Unfortunate implications or just too much sensitivity in the last few years?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:14 am Strike anyone else as odd that they gave the black (cro magnon) man a sloth? Unfortunate implications or just too much sensitivity in the last few years?
No idea what that means. Since when is a sloth associated with black people?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 pm .. somehow I was expecting more from Jab's collection.

To his credit, he actually takes stuff out of the back- suggesting more having fun with the toys rather than gazing up them as unapproachable 'investments'.
Oh, that's not quite all of it. There's also Disney Store Deluxe Dolls (those expensive ones in Limited Editions. And no I'm not kidding- I can show you tonight :).
Jabroniville

Johnny Mo

Post by Jabroniville »

JOHNNY MO
Played by:
Gordon Liu
Role: "The Dragon" to O-Ren
Group Affiliations: The Crazy 88, The Yakuza
PL 8 (119)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Yakuza) 7 (+9)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+7)
Stealth 5 (+10)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 2 (Paired Shoto +2- Split), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Shoto), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown 2

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Shoto +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (119)

-Johnny Mo is the leader of the Crazy 88, and their best swordfighter. He is one of the first fought by The Bride (perhaps guessing that the rank & file would stand no chance)- he fights her back repeatedly, using the numbers-game to his advantage, and finally (after most of his agents have been slaughtered) holds his own quite well for a few minutes, but she eventually takes his legs out from under him (literally), leaving him falling into a water fountain.
Jabroniville

Gogo

Post by Jabroniville »

That's seriously one heck of a schnozz for an Asian girl.

GOGO YUBARI
Played by:
Chiaki Kuriyama
Role: Bodyguard, Schoolgirl Psychopath
Group Affiliations: The Crazy 88, The Yakuza
PL 9 (118)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 4

Skills: 
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 10 (+11)
Close Combat (Meteor Hammer) 2 (+14)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Yakuza) 7 (+7)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 6 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+10)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Attractive, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Equipment 2 (Meteor Hammer +3- Reach 2, Knife +1), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Meteor Hammer) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Knife +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Meteor Hammer +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Insane)- Gogo is quite mad.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (118)

-Gogo is probably the most iconic bad guy of the first movie, actually- Tarantino grabbed the actress from the popular Battle Royale to play the cute Schoolgirl Assassin, hitting on some major kinks and a big-time "Japanese-feeling" character. Gogo is shown to be quite insane and cruel, once taunting a man by denying him her virginity before disemboweling him.

-Of all the physical enemies of The Bride, she is arguably the most challenging just in terms of the damage she causes- smashing her all over the place with a very distinctive Meteor Hammer (basically a ball & chain), controlling the fight at range (something that's hard to replicate in M&M aside from just giving her great bonuses). The thing grows friggin' SPIKES, and she's able to do crazy stuff like swing it around a post, smacking The Bride on the back of the head. Only some careful Improvised Weapon use is able to carry the day, The Bride taking a broken chair and driving one of the nails through the top of Gogo's head, dropping her to the floor with tears of blood.
Davies

Post by Davies »

This fight, like the later "you bad bad kid playing with Yakuzas" fight where she literally spanks someone with her precious Hanzo, illustrate one of the Bride's Complications -- she has a soft spot for young people.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Vernita Green

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:31 pm Image

VERNITA GREEN (Copperhead, aka Jeanne Bell)
Played by:
Vivica A. Fox
Role: Disposable Villain
Group Affiliations: The Deadly Viper Assassination Squad

Poor Vivica A. Fox is thus given the least to work with in the story, and goes down the easiest- she actually looks rather pathetic, equalling The Bride in a surprise combat, but failing to shoot her at near point-blank range and getting one-shotted as a result. Too bad- Fox had a serviceable career as "The hot girl in all those Black Movies" in the early '90s, and was on Ugly Betty for a while, but has largely disappeared.

-Less capable than The Bride, but still rather devastating (few characters last as long in a direct fight, and Bill calls her "the best fighter with an edged weapon" that he has ever seen), Vernita is a poor shot, but probably has the best Deception of the group- successfully hiding her true personality, and nearly getting The Bride with a sneak attack. She's a PL 8 all over, but becomes a PL 9-10 with knives or improvised weapons, and has PL 8.5 to Parry.
Having just rewatched the fight, her relatively poor performance might be a case of 'Fridge Brilliance', as she's spent the last 5+ years playing Suzy Homemaker, and her expertise was with blades. Its likely she was never an exceptional shot before and became a truly terrible one after her retirement. And once she actually got her hand on a knife she quickly put the Bride on the defensive.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

O-Ren Ishii

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

"And the price you pay, for bringing up my Chinese or my American heritage as a negative is... I collect your fuckin' head. Just like this fucker here!" *blood drips on table* "So if ANY of you sons of bitches, got ANYTHING ELSE TO SAY... NOW'S THE FUCKING TIME!!!"

O-REN ISHII (Cottonmouth)
Played by:
Lucy Liu
Role: Crime Kingpin, Elegant Killer
Group Affiliations: The Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, The Yakuza
PL 9 (155)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills: 
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Close Combat (Blades) 2 (+16)
Deception 4 (+9)
Expertise (Assassin) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Yakuza) 8 (+12)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+10)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+7)
Stealth 5 (+11)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Benefit 3 (Head of the Yakuza), Connected, Defensive Attack, Equipment 2 (Sword +3), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Languages 1 (A Few), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Startle, Takedown 2

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Head of the Yakuza)
Reputation (Chinese/American)- O-Ren is the only biracial person in the Yakuza hierarchy, and is discriminated against for this. Bring it up, however, and she will "collect your fuckin' head." Literally.
Enemy (The Bride)

Total: Abilities: 86 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 27 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (155)

-O-Ren is The Bride's first victim, but the second one seen killed in the movie- she has attained the highest position of the former D.V.A.S. team, becoming the head of the Yakuza, in spite of her Chinese-American heritage. Forced to watch her parents be slain by a Yakuza when she was a child, she grew up into a deadly assassin, executing the man who killed her parents by luring him into bed when she was still just a young girl (luckily, the man was a pedophile- Roger Ebert notes that the movie would have been rated NC-17 if they hadn't brilliantly filmed this flashback in an anime style).

-O-Ren leads the Crazy 88 and an elite cadre of fighters as well, sending them all against The Bride one after the other and watching them all get cut down in droves. She of course never just SHOOTS HER or wades into combat herself, because that'd be against the style of the movie. The two finally engage in a battle amidst snowfall, which is TOTALLY just Tarantino's love letter to Japanese cinema and their cultural aesthetics (which are all about "tiny things amidst fallen snow"), particularly when The Bride slices off the top of her head, sending her hair & scalp falling into a white, fluffy pile of it.

-O-Ren appears elegant and reserved, but contains an explosive fury- "Silk Hiding Steel", as it were. And she's played REALLY well by Lucy Liu, who proves in this and a few other roles that, despite Bill Murray's insistence on the set of Charlie's Angels, she really CAN act. Personally, I found her looks overrated- she has this "alien" look to her that I found kind of off-putting compared to the legions of guys I knew online and in real life who lusted after her. Though I always got a kick out of my friend's Chinese girlfriend, who HAAAAAAAAAAAATED Lucy Liu, because "she's not attractive to Chinese people"- she found her to be this parody of what Westerners liked about "exotic" asians, with her ultra-tiny eyes and incredibly-high cheekbones. She's still best as Silvermist of the Disney Fairies, however.

-O-Ren Ishii is equal to anyone else in swordplay, though is clearly inferior to The Bride, as she loses to a badly-beaten and exhausted woman.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I love love LOVE her speech to the yakuza

and yeah, the moment most people starting leaving the theater at the showing of Kill Bill I was at was the anime origin of her
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Jab, I believe you are confusing the lovely Ms. Fox with the equally alluring and ageless Vanessa Williams, vis-a-vis the role on Ugly Betty. That minor bit of errata out of the way, the deadly domestic confrontation between The Bride and Vernita Greene was perhaps the most effective part of the whole Kill Bill Part I for the then fresh-faced greycrusader; the violent intrusion of "Copperhead's" past with her suburban married-life present-which is EXACTLY what set The Bride on her "roaring rampage of revenge"; the scene with the little girl being comforted by the two lethal women, blades between their backs while they lie to Vernita's daughter "everything is all right"; this all seemed to take place in what Tarrantino dubs his "realer than real" cinematic universe, with heightened passion, ultra-violence, and pop culture elements of various American eras (1950's noir, 1970's decadence, 1990's neo-pulp)...but then the movie segues into the "movie movie" universe, the setting where there are esoteric martial arts masters, flashy female assassination squads composed of super-models, spree killers with triple digit body counts, and ancient vampire tribes. In fact, KB I &II seem to flip back and forth between "worlds" in terms of tone and realism.

Regarding Ms. Thurman as an example of "Failed Hollywood Hype Machine"...I must admit, I NEVER understood the HUGE push she got; limited acting ability, poor chemistry with most of her male leads, and an aloof, reserved on-screen persona. She was also pretty much the definition of unconventionally attractive-very tall, lanky, and lovely, but with a large nose, high forehead, and a rounded jawline. Yet the entertainment industry of the time acted as if she was one of the most beautiful women alive, which I couldn't comprehend (I also never understood the same bit with Jamie Lee Curtis, though the woman was charming enough on-screen). If you've seen Cats and Dogs, the entire story is thrown off by casting the more typically pretty Janeane Garafalo as the "plain one" next to Ms. Thurman.

I still think the movies would have been improved exponentially by casting Lucy Lawless as the Bride-because who are you going to call if you have to put a beat down on sword wielding yakuza thugs and a psycho school-girl with a meteor hammer-Xena the Warrior Princess or Mia Wallace? Besides,the "Flawless One" is among the few non-fat/non-musclebound actresses to utterly bedazzle this humble commentator.

Yes, I'm weird like that. Deal with it, LOL.

All my best

PS: Jab, you're dead right about how hard it is to simulate the type of weapon wielded by Gogo Yubari, because I recently designed and submitted an "official" GR bad guy with just such a trademark spiked ball-and-chain. Basically tacking on a slew of enhanced combat advantages to the weapon, but restricting them to users with high STR, AGL, and FGH traits. The M&M mechanics just don't work so well for hand-to-hand combat with "reach" weapons that do more than cause damage.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

These aren't mine! I'm holding them for a friend! I can quit any time I want! FROM YOU, ALRIGHT? I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!!!!!