Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dino-Riders- Diplodocus! T-Rex! Brontosaurus! Kill Bill!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:52 am Jab, I believe you are confusing the lovely Ms. Fox with the equally alluring and ageless Vanessa Williams, vis-a-vis the role on Ugly Betty.
Oh shit, that's right. I have to hand in my SJW card for a "they look the same" violation, don't I? Totally thought that was her. What the hell has Vivica Fox been in since Kill Bill, then? *checks Wikipedia* holy hell, that's depressing. Like a thousand credits over the past ten years, but it's all been movies I've NEVER HEARD OF, plus some Canadian TV show.
Regarding Ms. Thurman as an example of "Failed Hollywood Hype Machine"...I must admit, I NEVER understood the HUGE push she got; limited acting ability, poor chemistry with most of her male leads, and an aloof, reserved on-screen persona. She was also pretty much the definition of unconventionally attractive-very tall, lanky, and lovely, but with a large nose, high forehead, and a rounded jawline. Yet the entertainment industry of the time acted as if she was one of the most beautiful women alive, which I couldn't comprehend (I also never understood the same bit with Jamie Lee Curtis, though the woman was charming enough on-screen). If you've seen Cats and Dogs, the entire story is thrown off by casting the more typically pretty Janeane Garafalo as the "plain one" next to Ms. Thurman.
Yeah, I... really didn't find her THAT attractive, either. I go for unconventional beauty myself (Leelee Sobieski is one of my all-timers, and I was WAY more into Molly Holly in the WWF than the augmented blonde brigade of Trish Stratus & Torrie Wilson), but watching Kill Bill and seeing guys just fall all over how beautiful the comatose Bride was felt... off, somehow. I don't know anybody who's really into her aside from Tarantino (who called her "the thinking man's sex symbol", whatever that means). I mean, she's good-looking, but "Great Beauty" she ain't.

I think some of the appeal was definitely for her breasts, which were pretty great in the nude roles she did (when she was a fair bit younger). It was the '90s, after all- the "Gwyneth Paltrow/Natalie Portman" look hadn't been ordained form on high just yet.
I still think the movies would have been improved exponentially by casting Lucy Lawless as the Bride-because who are you going to call if you have to put a beat down on sword wielding yakuza thugs and a psycho school-girl with a meteor hammer-Xena the Warrior Princess or Mia Wallace? Besides,the "Flawless One" is among the few non-fat/non-musclebound actresses to utterly bedazzle this humble commentator.
Sadly, being cast as Xena probably marked her as a "B-Movie Actress" for life, especially in the 1990s. Typically actors didn't move from TV to movies that often.
PS: Jab, you're dead right about how hard it is to simulate the type of weapon wielded by Gogo Yubari, because I recently designed and submitted an "official" GR bad guy with just such a trademark spiked ball-and-chain. Basically tacking on a slew of enhanced combat advantages to the weapon, but restricting them to users with high STR, AGL, and FGH traits. The M&M mechanics just don't work so well for hand-to-hand combat with "reach" weapons that do more than cause damage.
Yeah, a "Reach" weapon is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE advantage in a real-life fight, effectively keeping you permanently out of range. It's why guys with longer arms are deadly in boxing, too. Hard to replicate in M&M without just doing what I did with Sagat- because he's so tall and powerful, I just gave him a higher Attack & Defense value, to reflect how he can hit without being struck in return.

I think a more "realistic" way to depict ranged weaponry like that is to actually give DEFENSIVE bonuses as well- boosts to Parry to reflect how you can't just slash Gogo with a sword, because that Meteor Hammer controls the distance between the two of you.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:32 am Yeah, a "Reach" weapon is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE advantage in a real-life fight, effectively keeping you permanently out of range. It's why guys with longer arms are deadly in boxing, too. Hard to replicate in M&M without just doing what I did with Sagat- because he's so tall and powerful, I just gave him a higher Attack & Defense value, to reflect how he can hit without being struck in return.

I think a more "realistic" way to depict ranged weaponry like that is to actually give DEFENSIVE bonuses as well- boosts to Parry to reflect how you can't just slash Gogo with a sword, because that Meteor Hammer controls the distance between the two of you.
For characters that make a big deal of actively using some special quality of the weapon, such as reach, weight, or flexibility to gain advantage in fights, I often give them powers to reflect it (depending on the how it is portrayed, the power can be in the weapon or in the character with the limitation that they need the weapon).

For instance, Reaction Weaken Fighting limited to "against me" works well for weapons that make it harder to fight you in close quarters, effectively reducing foes' attack and defense. Move Object linked to Damage can be useful for things like a Meteor Hammer, specially in a setting like that where characters don't have any significant movement powers and being launched even a little bit away can mean the need to spend Extra Effort or an additional action to reach the enemy
Jabroniville

Budd

Post by Jabroniville »

BUDD (Sidewinder)
Played by:
Michael Madsen
Role: Crafty Villain, Drunken Loser
Group Affiliations: The Deadly Viper Assassination Squad
PL 9 (125)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 8 (+10)
Expertise (Assassin) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Bouncer) 4 (+6)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+7)
Stealth 6 (+9)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 3 (Sword +3, Shotgun, "Rock Salt" Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated- Ranged, Diminished Range), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Shotgun), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 2, Languages 1 (A Few), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 7, Takedown

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Shotgun +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Rock Salt +12 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (The Bride)- Budd hates The Bride for breaking his brother's heart.
Responsibility (Criminal)- "That woman deserves her revenge... and we deserve to die." Budd is honest with himself and Bill about their guilt and crimes. Then he adds "but then again, so does she."
Relationship (Bill)- Budd was once close with Bill, though they've had a falling out. Budd is furious enough with The Bride for breaking Bill's heart that he gives her an especially cruel fate.
Addiction (Alcohol)
Reputation (Failure)- Budd now works as a bouncer in a seedy strip joint.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (125)

-Budd is the stand-out of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad- while the other four are these elite, careful, dignified killers, Budd is a buffoonish, drunken lout who lives in a trailer and works as a bouncer in a strip club. He's also the only member of the team who does no fighting- he gives the impression of being a useless loser. Which makes it a neat touch that he's the only character in the films to score a solo win over The Bride- while the others are these brave, deadly fighters who face their huntress in swordfights and duels and crap, Budd is CRAFTY. When he knows The Bride is coming, he simply waits for her to bust into his trailer, shoots her in the cans with a shotgun full of rock salt, sedates her while she's in agony, and then buries her alive.

-Budd is Bill's younger brother, and is generally a failure (he lies to Bill that he hocked a Hattori Hanzo sword for $250). He and Bill have had a falling out, but he nonetheless hates The Bride for breaking Bill's heart- this is why he gives her the especially agonizing, surefire death of live burial. And of course, she is COMPLETLEY screwed with no way out, except for the fact that we now get to see a flashback that shows exactly how she gained the ability to get out of this exact situation. Budd plans on selling her new Hattori Hanzo blade to Elle Driver, but she poisons him with a literal black mamba, furious and disappointed that an "alkie piece of shit" like him could kill the best fighter she ever met. Budd himself dies in agony.

-I have no idea who Michael Madsen is. I got nothing. He was in the Free Willy movies, though, so that's something. Actually, his acting career looks all over the map, appearing in respected Tarantino flicks (Mr. Blonde in Resevoir Dogs), kiddie movies, and schlock like the Species stuff. His post-2000 stuff is almost 100% B-movie-looking junk I've never heard of- I have no idea what any of this is.

-Budd is hard to assess, given he looks like a drunken lout and isn't seen fighting. But he's as clever as they come- he eschews careful duels and just SHOOTS THE BITCH, which is way more effective than anyone else's tactics. Hell, he's more effective than O-Ren Ishii's entire army.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:32 amYeah, I... really didn't find her THAT attractive, either. I go for unconventional beauty myself (Leelee Sobieski is one of my all-timers, and I was WAY more into Molly Holly in the WWF than the augmented blonde brigade of Trish Stratus & Torrie Wilson), but watching Kill Bill and seeing guys just fall all over how beautiful the comatose Bride was felt... off, somehow. I don't know anybody who's really into her aside from Tarantino (who called her "the thinking man's sex symbol", whatever that means). I mean, she's good-looking, but "Great Beauty" she ain't.

I think some of the appeal was definitely for her breasts, which were pretty great in the nude roles she did (when she was a fair bit younger). It was the '90s, after all- the "Gwyneth Paltrow/Natalie Portman" look hadn't been ordained form on high just yet.
Uma Thurman always puzzled me. The media acted like she was the Hottest Thing, whereas in my opinion at the time, she'd have been rated "Average, Maybe Slightly Better" in your typical high school. She wasn't making up the ground through spectacular acting, either. My theory was (and remains) that she had some serious skills relevant to the Casting Couch that everyone knew about back then but are shocked and appalled to discover in the last few months.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:32 amYeah, a "Reach" weapon is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE advantage in a real-life fight, effectively keeping you permanently out of range. It's why guys with longer arms are deadly in boxing, too. Hard to replicate in M&M without just doing what I did with Sagat- because he's so tall and powerful, I just gave him a higher Attack & Defense value, to reflect how he can hit without being struck in return.

... yes and no? Especially in choreographed movie fights, and therefore in the fictional setting, this is definitely the case, but in real life... now, I agree with you 100% if we're talking about spears, longswords, polearms, etc. Those are fantastic defensive weapons, but part of the reason for this is that a good user is just as capable (or nearly as capable) of an in-close fight as they are at their extreme range, because the end of their weapon is under their direct control, the middle range portions of their weapon are useful in the fight, etc. Meteor hammers, rope darts, and the like are EXTREMELY RISKY weapons against a good opponent, because while they are absurdly effective at the limits of their range, a failure to control range perfectly puts you at a crippling disadvantage. A weapon that is only good when the fight is going your way, and suddenly useless when it is not? ... I hope you have a backup, is what I'm saying.

The boxing thing is particularly interesting to me, because I am a short, stocky boxer. The way modern professional boxing has evolved, arm length is king, so the taller, skinnier guy has a great advantage. This is largely because one of the two classic boxing strategies is now considered the only one, and the other one has largely been retired. Primarily to preserve the careers of the boxers, because it's brutal. See, as an in-boxer, length of arm is almost irrelevant to me, because my goal is to close past an out-boxer's effective range and start taking it out of them with heavy shots. Arm length doesn't add much in the way of depth to an out-boxer's effective range, and once I'm inside that, an inch or two doesn't matter. It's effectively like a sword fighter passing the tip of a spear, only in this case the guy with the longer range isn't as good in close.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

BriarThrone wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:00 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:32 amYeah, I... really didn't find her THAT attractive, either. I go for unconventional beauty myself (Leelee Sobieski is one of my all-timers, and I was WAY more into Molly Holly in the WWF than the augmented blonde brigade of Trish Stratus & Torrie Wilson), but watching Kill Bill and seeing guys just fall all over how beautiful the comatose Bride was felt... off, somehow. I don't know anybody who's really into her aside from Tarantino (who called her "the thinking man's sex symbol", whatever that means). I mean, she's good-looking, but "Great Beauty" she ain't.

Uma Thurman always puzzled me. The media acted like she was the Hottest Thing, whereas in my opinion at the time, she'd have been rated "Average, Maybe Slightly Better" in your typical high school. She wasn't making up the ground through spectacular acting, either. My theory was (and remains) that she had some serious skills relevant to the Casting Couch that everyone knew about back then but are shocked and appalled to discover in the last few months.
If I look back to Thurman's first big movies ... well she never really got any good major role (Batman & Ribon people, remember). My guess is that a lot of her appeal came from the fact that she was so unapologetic about her looks. She stood out by being very unconventional in her appearence. In a way it's kind of the same deal there was with Humprey Bogart, he wasn't a particular good-looking man, but he stood out by being so unapologetic himself.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ken

Post by Ken »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:21 pm
BriarThrone wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:00 pm

If I look back to Thurman's first big movies ... well she never really got any good major role (Batman & Robin people, remember). My guess is that a lot of her appeal came from the fact that she was so unapologetic about her looks. She stood out by being very unconventional in her appearence. In a way it's kind of the same deal there was with Humprey Bogart, he wasn't a particular good-looking man, but he stood out by being so unapologetic himself.
I think my Dad put it best when he said she her appearance was striking without being beautiful.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dino-Riders! Kill Bill! The Bride! Gogo! O-Ren Ishii!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

I always liked Budd. Just the way he delivered his lines, his look, etc

Pretty much inferred by the story, but I always head-canon he and Vernita went through with the attack on Bea at the chapel, but were then disgusted by what they had done and decided that was the time they should get out....which also leads to his falling out with Bill

Budd in particular I always felt like he decided he was going to do penance for what he had done, so that's why he lives in the trailer, got deliberately out of shape compared to his prime, works in the bar, and doesn't tear Larry the strip club owner's head off whenever he dresses him down. He takes it because he feels like he deserves it, which he more or less flat out says when he talks to Bill

but he also recognizes Bea is just as bad if not worse than he and the rest are and has no qualms with killing her when she comes for him. Hell, if I gotta choose between me and you I choose me ya know?

plus the man was Kilowogg once and that counts for something ya poozer
Ken

Post by Ken »

In college, I had a friend who was big into the Society for Creative Anachronism. He was 6'6", he grew to 6'7" later, and his arms were similarly longer than the average. His "swords" (actually padded rattan clubs) were the maximum length the SCA allowed. He was a nightmare as a fighter because, well, people would still be closing in on him, and BAM!

He ended up "king" (read "champion fighter") of the middle kingdom, I think, three times.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

on the subject of looks, I tend to stand by Jab on it all. I was another guy who was smitten with Molly Holly....blonde, brunette, long, short, the woman was gorgeous. I saw her live a few times and was flat out stunned when I caught a look at her up close. She was gorgeous and her match with Victoria actually got a pretty damn good ovation after they finished.

I also wasn't overly impressed by Torrie Wilson, though I can see where she has her admirers.

That said Trish Stratus is a goddess and a miracle and I want you to acknowledge it.

As for Uma.....she's an odd one to me. She's not unattractive, but she's not my cup of tea. Though there are times when I thought she looked rather good (My Super Ex-Girlfriend...oddly enough when she had the brunette wig on) and then pretty bad (Batman and Robin....no amount of Mae West vamping made me ever think she was Poison Ivy)

Now my nephew on the other hand.....he fell in love with her from the moment we watched Kill Bill together for the first time. He just flipped over her, which I think part of it was her badassery.

Leads me to an odd tangent but....Zoe Bell, who did Thurman's stunts and was also Lucy Lawless's stunt double on Xena

The first time I remember seeing her in anything was in Death Proof, and when I first saw her I thought she was unattractive.......but as the movie went on I found myself thinking she was getting cuter. By the end where she survives a near death experience and then leans in the car window and asks "So you wanna go get this guy?" I found myself going "Wow...she got HOT". And I'm not alone in that. My wife thought the same thing to when she first saw the movie and the first time we ever watched it together we both brought it up as it as we talked about it.

One of my theories is that being a stunt woman, being in a position where she was in danger and doing stunts put her in her natural comfort zone and sort of gave her a glow that she may not have had just doing dialogue where she may be more uncomfortable

Another is that she has such an attractive personality/attitude that it gradually starts to shine out, like that scene in The Hateful Eight where she's showing the people around the little inn....I just thought she was cute as hell in that.
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh yeah, meteor hammers and junk are better Hollywood weapons than real-life ones. It's just a general thing about range.
Jabroniville

Elle Driver

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

These sequences involve their own Tarantinian dialogue of explanation and scene-setting. Budd has an extended monologue in which he offers The Bride the choice of Mace and a flashlight, and the details of his speech allow us to visualize horrors worse than any we could possibly see. Later, Elle Driver produces a black mamba snake, and in a sublime touch, reads from a Web page that describes the snake's deadly powers.
-Roger Ebert's review of "Kill Bill: Volume 2"

ELLE DRIVER (California Mountain Snake)
Played by:
Darryl Hannah
Role: Conniving Villain
Group Affiliations: The Deadly Viper Assassination Squad
PL 9 (140)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills: 
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Assassin) 8 (+11)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Investigation 5 (+9)
Perception 5 (+9)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+7)
Stealth 6 (+11)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Equipment 2 (Sword +3), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Languages 1 (A Few), Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 3, Takedown

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (The Bride)- Elle HATES the former Black Mamba- she won Bill's heart, and had the respect of their mutual trainer, Pai Mei. Mamba was everything Driver wanted to be.
Responsibility (Fighter's Pride)- Driver nonetheless respected Black Mamba greatly- she was deeply regretful than a loser like Budd apparently killed "the greatest fighter I ever met".
Relationship (Bill)- Elle loves Bill, and wanted him for years.
Disabled (One Eye)- Elle made a foolish mistake by antagonizing her teacher Pai Mei, and had one of her eyes plucked out as a lesson. This doesn't appear to affect her fighting skills at all, but if someone ELSE knew that technique...

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (140)

-Elle Driver appears briefly in the first film, whistling a catchy ditty as she prepares to execute the comatose Bridge, before a phone call from Bill says her hand ("You don't owe her SHIT!" she proclaims). Probably the most purely evil of the D.V.A.s, she hates the former Black Mamba in particular for being better than her, and for winning Bill's love- something she longed to have. A former government agent investigating Bill, she fell in love with him and joined his group. Vengeful when Black Mamba reappears, she hunts down her opponent, only to be mortified when the loser Budd gets the job done instead of her. Mortified that "a worthless alkie piece of shit" like him "killed the greatest fighter I've ever met", Elle executes him via a cruelly-ironic method- sneaking an ACTUAL black mamba into a briefcase full of money (for her Hattori Hanzo sword), then coldly watching as he dies from the venom, explaining in detail the nature of the snake's venom to the dying villain.

-When Black Mamba returns, it's a lethal struggle within Budd's trailer- a close-range, vicious battle full of slamming each other into stuff. Driver is bitter over all of Mamba's successes- winning Bill's love, and gaining the respect and admiration of Pai Mei, the man who trained them both. Driver received the same horrible training that the Mamba did... but was a failure. Pai Mei plucked out one of her eyeballs when she called him an "old fool", leaving her disabled for years. Her fate is deliciously ironic- Pai Mei taught his favorite student the same technique! Elle's opponent thus plucks out Elle's last remaining eye, leaving her wailing in helpless agony in the trailer, squishing the eye between her toes ("it ends in a squishy way that would be unsettling in another kind of movie, but here all the action is so ironically heightened that we may cringe and laugh at the same time."- Roger Ebert).

-She has the most esoteric name of the D.V.A.s- California Mountain Snakes are not dangerous to humans, being non-venomous (ironically, the only two characters she kills on-screen in the franchise are killed via poison & venom). However, they ARE immune to venom, making her an ideal opponent for a black mamba.

-Driver was played expertly by Darryl Hannah, who was not really a well-regarded actress in her time- she spent the '80s being a "Miss Fanservice" type who was in a few roles (most notably Splash) before having the nerve to turn too old to play "The Hot Girl", and vanishing. Before Kill Bill came out, she was actually playing a stripper in a B-movie Dancing At The Blue Iguana, which was actually a Hollywood feature starring some semi-famous actresses (Jennifer Tilly & Sandra Oh in particular), but was mostly Fap-Bait and was hardly a good career turn for anyone (the main character was played by Charlotte Ayana, who was a Miss Fanservice type who went nowhere). Kill Bill was really Hannah's peak of credibility. Which is too bad, because she was AWESOME in this movie- conniving, bitchy and manipulative.

-Elle is more or less like Vernita- sneaky, dangerous and nasty. In a more even fight lacking many sneak attacks, she proves to be The Bride's near-equal, and more or less fails a "Bluff" in combat and loses her last remaining eye.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

loved Bea and Elle's last little conversation in their confrontation as well
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Man I love Kill Bill, probably my favorite of Tarantino movie.
Formerly luketheduke86
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I dunno I thought Darryl did great in Roxxanne. She was cute bit not mind blowingly so for me at anyrate.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ken

Post by Ken »

I thought Daryl Hannah did well enough in Clan of the Cave Bear that she passed her knowledge on how to act like you're being taken, from behind, by force, that she must have passed that knowledge on to Jeanne Tripplehorn for Basic Instinct.