J-Mart Fantasy: Closed for remodeling

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Thorpocalypse

Re: J-Mart Fantasy: Weekend Build Dump - NPCs, PCs, Setting info, etc...

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Yojimbo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:40 pm This is awesome stuff. Digging the gothic setting and the Assassin's Creed stuff especially. Are you planning on doing more with your Fantasy Wakanda (my D&D setting has a version, too because of course you need one) - I'd love to see more of that.
You betcha. Well, planning on it anyway. Right now, I'm trying to spam out a few builds for each of my settings and then I plan on going back and adding more stuff to each of them. My Zaganda setting definitely needs more related creatures, a royal family, a Dora Milaje homage and other such goodness. I also need to add Ananzi, Bast and the gorilla god (whose name escapes me at the moment and I don't feel like looking it up while I type this ;)) to my deities list, too.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

148 - Brogg (Orc War Chieftain)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Yap all ya want, meat...yeah, get it all out...them's gonna be your last words, anyway... - Brogg

BROGG
PL8

OPL: 8; DPL: 8; HP: 1
Archetype: War Chieftain
Height: 6-8
Weight: 300
Eyes: Red
Hair: Black
Skin: Green
Race: Orc
Alignment: Villain - Chaotic
Base of Operations: Orcwood
Affiliations: Brogg's Tribe

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Athletics 4 (+8), Deception (+0), Expertise [Survival] 5 (+5), Expertise [Tactics] 6 (+6), Insight (+2), Intimidation 8 (+8) [Startle], Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion (+0), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 5 (+6), Stealth 2 (+4)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Benefit (1) (Status – Orc War Captain), Close Attack (3), Equipment (4), Great Endurance, Improved Initiative (1), Inspire (2), Languages (1) (Common, Goblin, Base: Orc), Startle, Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Orc Senses: Senses 3 (Darkvision, Scent [Acute]); 3 pts
Gutspiller: 7 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-2 pts), Feature 1 (Magical); 6 pts
Enchanted Greataxe Strike: Slashing Strength-based Damage 4 (Extra: Breaking, Dangerous, Smashing); 7 pts

EQUIPMENT:
[(20 pts)
Low Grade Plate Mail: Protection 4; 4 pts
Medium Shield: +2 Dodge, +2 Parry; 4 pts
Throwing Spear: Ranged Piercing Damage 3, Dangerous; 7 pts
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +8 [Unarmed +4; Gutspiller +8, Critical 19-20; Knife +5, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +1
Throwing +6 [Throwing Spear +3, Critical 19-20]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 (+7 with Shield) [DC15/17] Parry +6 (+8 with Shield) [DC16/18]
Toughness +8, Fortitude +7, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Reputation: Orc have been seen as foul creatures for ages, and that's being nice.
Temper: Orcs are generally foul-tempered, which makes it difficult for them to remain organized as well as causing them to make rash, and often inadvisable, decisions.
Vulnerable: Orcs prefer the dark. They are vulnerable to light based effects and should be considered impaired when operating in bright light for extended periods.

Abilities 36 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 16 + Powers 9 + Defenses 10 = 87 / 87

Comments: So one of the things I decided to do more of in this fantasy run is add more NPC type characters to the list in case I get the gumption up to run another fantasy game in the game room or something.

So this is Brogg, and legendary Orc War Captain. Haven’t thought about his backstory much, but he’s well known and feared in the Lothos region.
Thorpocalypse

149 - Tharzok (Warchief)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

All these beings with their lies and schemes. So sad. I deal in the truth. And that truth, has been, is, and will always be WAR. - Tharzok

THARZOK
PL8

Archetype: Warlord
Height: 6-5
Weight: 280
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Skin: Red
Race: Hobgoblin
Base of Operations: Mobile
Affiliations: Tharzok's Clan

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 7, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+6), Deception 1 (+5), Expertise [Military] 7 (+8), Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation 3 (+7), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion (+4), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, Benefit (1) (Status – Hobgoblin Warlord), Close Attack (2), Defensive Roll (1), Equipment (4), Improved Initiative (1), Inspire (2), Languages (1) (Common, 1 other, Base: Goblin), Leadership, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (4), Takedown (2)

POWERS:
Goblinoid Senses: Senses 1 (Low Light Vision); 1 pt
Tharzok's Sword: 12 pts Traits, Easily Removable (-4 pts), Feature 1 (Magical); 9 pts
Magic Longsword Strike: Slashing Strength-based Damage 4 (Extra: Breaking, Dangerous, Penetrating 5, Smashing); 12 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(20 pts)
Chain Mail: Protection 3; 3 pts
Medium Shield: +2 Dodge, +2 Parry; 4 pts
Dagger: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Dangerous; 2 pts
Javelin: Ranged Piercing Damage 3, Dangerous; 7 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +9 [Unarmed +3; Tharzok Sword +7, Critical 19-20; Dagger +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +7 [Javelin +3, Critical 19-20]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 (+9 with Shield) [DC17/19] Parry +7 (+9 with Shield) [DC17/19]
Toughness +7 (+6 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Tharzok wants be known as the greatest Hogoblin warlord of all.
Rivalry: There are some other Hobgoblin warriors that are all trying to become the leader of their race and none seem to be fond of the others.

Abilities 52 + Skills 11 (22 ranks) + Advantages 21 + Powers 10 + Defenses 13 = 107 / 107

Comments: Tharzok is one of the most dangerous Hobgoblin Warlords in the realms. He’s got a large cadre of elite Hobgoblins at his disposal and he lives for battle and conquest.
Thorpocalypse

Jatar

Post by Thorpocalypse »

For years I looked down on those trading card game geeks from my tower high atop RPG veteran's mountain. But after I had kids and they started playing Bakugon, Pokemon and other things and like a good dad, I played a bit with them. I didn't really get into it, but I got tired of losing because of what I maintain were made up rules, I started taking them more seriously. I still don't care much for the other TCGs, but when my oldest got into Magic, I started to dig it.

I first started playing Magic the Gathering right about the time the Tarkir block started with the Khans of Tarkir. Tarkir was a plane with a mongolian theme mixed in with Dragons. I was hooked immediately. Eventually, my son bailed on it because he had a falling out with his friend that was really into, but I have since become an addict. I will never be good at it, but I will always love to play and I am have become a huge of the lore, as its easy to tell with the way my fantasy setting has been influenced by it.

I went into this rambling because this setting that I am doing an homage to is the one that really started it all for me. I need to tweak the lore a bit so expect some changes but for now, here is...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JATAR

Jatar is a land of the dragons and warlords known the Khans who control the 5 Clans of Jatar. For many years, the Clans had been fighting a war against the dragons for their own survival, hoping to gain some advantage in the struggle. Elemental storms that gave birth to the dragons raged, birthing more dragons and eventually their numbers grew to where it seemed that the clans would be wiped out.

The elder dragon Ugin, whose magic, the transmutation of energy into matter, was responsible for the elemental dragon storms, valued the Clans and gifted them with concealment magic to help them hide from the from the depredations of the dragons. This kept a savage balance in the land. But that changed when Ugin encountered and fought the evil elder dragon Nicol Bolas, who had tracked the spirit dragon to his home land of Jatar. The two immortals waged a titanic battle, leaving Ugin nearly dead. Bolas dug deep into Ugin's mind for information about the Eldrazi and their prison. His purpose accomplished, Bolas departed, leaving the grievously wounded Ugin to die. However, although physically dead, the dragon's spirit had not departed, and found its way into the mind of the sorcerer Sarkhan Vol. Sarkhan was plagued by Ugin's whispers in his head, years after the dragon’s death. During Ugin’s incapacitation, the elemental storms ceased, allowing the Clans to gain a significant advantage in their battles with the dragons.

Sarkhan was drawn back to his homeland of Tarkir by the whisperings of Ugin's spirit in his head. While there, he was able to use a shard of a hedron containing Ugin's life force to create the Crucible of the Spirit Dragon to save Ugin and thereby alter the fate of the entire plane. With Ugin’s return, the dragon storms returned, draconic numbers grew and soon, the tide of the war turned yet again.

But with Sarkhan and Ugin’s urging, the 5 Khans and 5 Dragonlords met to discuss an end to the centuries long war and an alliance was forged. The Khans and Dragonlords have taken joint leadership of the clans: The Dromoka Houses, led by Dragonlord Dromoka and Khan Anafenza the Foremost; The Ojutai Way, led by Dragonlord Ojutai and Khan Narset, Enlightened Master; The Silumgar Brood, led by Dragonlord Silumgar and Khan Sidisi, The Brood Tyrant; The Kolaghan Horde, led by Dragonlord Kolaghan and Khan Zurgo Helmsmasher; and The Atarka Frontier, led by Dragonlord Atarka and Khan Surrak Dragonclaw.

Over time, the clans have come to embody the predominant aspects of their draconic masters, and they represent these strengths with draconic symbols. Now instead of fighting between Clans and dragons, the new dragon and Khan led clans have focused their ire on each other. The deserts and the forests are often rife with bloodshed and plagued by war. The clans are seemingly constantly locked in battle for control of immense fortunes and vast kingdoms of the land.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCs:

NPCs:

Ankle Shanker (Goblin Hordechief) with her Elites

The Dromoka Houses:

Dragonlord Dromoka
Khan Ananfenza the Foremost

Archetypes:

Races:

Creatures:

Bat (Gurmag Swiftwing)
Zombies (Minotaur)
Zombies (Rotting Mastodon)
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

150, 151 - Ankle Shanker (with her Elite)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ankle Shanker no lead clan because she woman goblin? Ankle Shanker show them. Ankle Shanker be best hordechief of all. - Ankle Shanker

ANKLE SHANKER
PL8

Archetype: Warrior
Height: 3-7
Weight: 67
Eyes: Red
Hair: Red
Skin: Green
Race: Goblin
Base of Operations: Mobile
Affiliations: Ankle Shanker's Gang

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 0, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 1 (+7), Athletics 3 (+3), Deception (+2), Expertise [Tactics] 8 (+9), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation 3 (+5/+3), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 4 (+9), Sleight of Hand 2 (+6), Stealth 1 (+7/+11)

ADVANTAGES: Animal Empathy, Combat Leader*, Defensive Strike* (1), Equipment (1), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (2), Inspire (1), Languages (1) (Common, 1 other, Base: Goblin), Move-by Action, Ranged Attack (2), Seize Initiative, Sweeping Strike*, Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Goblin Size: Shrinking 4 (-1 Str, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation, Speed -1, -1 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 9 pts
Shifty: Speed 1 (4 [2] mph/60 [30] fpr); 1 pt
Goblinoid Senses: Senses 1 (Low-light Vision); 1 pt
Ankle Shank!: Slashing Dexterity-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Multiattack 2, Tripping, Flaw: Easily Removable [requires short blade]); 5 pts
Vial Smasher: 11 pts Traits, Flaw: Easily Removable (-4 pts), Unreliable (5 uses); 4 pts
Dragonfire Vials: Ranged Fire Damage 5, Feature 1 (Magical); 11 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Leather Armor: Protection 1; 1 pt
Short Sword: Slashing Dexterity or Strength-Based Damage 2, Dangerous; 4 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +14
Close Attack +10 [Unarmed +0; Short Sword +5, Critical 19-20; Ankle Shank! +5, Critical 18-20, Multiattack
Ranged Attack +5
Throwing +9 [Dragonfire Vials +5]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +3 (+3 without Defensive Roll, +0 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Ankle Shanker wants to prove herself to be worthy of becoming Hordechief when she returns to Jatar.
Rivalry: There were several members of the Kolaghan horde that felt she couldn't lead as a goblin woman. She hasn't forgotten the slights.
Underestimated: Many people underestimate Ankle Shanker due to her size and unorthodox style. That's usually a grave mistake.

Abilities 54 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Advantages 15 + Powers 9 + Defenses 11 = 104 / 104

Comments: I bet you though I would lead off builds from my dragon and khan led setting with a dragon or khan, huh? Curveball down the middle! :lol:

We're starting off with a goblin NPC from there instead. My Ankle Shanker is based on the MTG card of the same name from the Tarkir block. As a card, she was fun, but nothing you could use in a top tier deck. But from a lore standpoint, she got a bit of characterization in the Magic Story on their site that they do for each block and I became a fan.

So I took her base and ran with it for a mostly original take. My Ankle Shanker was cast out from her clan in Jatar because she wanted to be the leader and they were not having it. So she traveled to Gilthorian, bouncing around she wound up working with some hobgoblins under the leadership of Tharzok. He took a liking to her and taught her how to lead warriors. After a while, she left and took over a goblin clan, trainer her own elite group of goblin warriors and became the scourge of the untamed lands just outside of the King’s Patrol.

She should be fun as hell to play. Nigh unhittable and with the ability make sure her squad gets the jump on the heroes, she will be a tough out for my PCs.

Here are elites. I envision her having 6-8 with her at all times.
GOBLINS (ANKLE SHAKER’S BRIGADE)
PL5

OPL: 5; DPL: 5; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 0, STAMINA 1, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT -1, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 3 (+3), Deception 3 (+2), Expertise [Survival] 4 (+3), Expertis [Tactics] 5 (+4), Insight (-1/-3), Intimidation (-1), Perception 3 (+3), Persuasion (-1), Ranged Combat [Bow] 4 (+5), Stealth (+2/+4)

ADVANTAGES: Close Attack (2), Equipment (2), Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (Common, 1 other, Base: Goblin), Move-by Action, Teamwork

POWERS:
Goblin Size: Shrinking 4 (-1 Str, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation, Speed -1, -1 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 9 pts
Shifty: Speed 1 (4 [2] mph/60 [30] fpr); 1 pt
Goblinoid Senses: Senses 1 (Low-light Vision); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10 pts)
Crappy Leather Armor: Protection 1; 1 pt
Crappy Wooden Shield: +1 Dodge, +1 Parry; 2 pts
Arsenal: (5 pts)
Short Sword: Slashing Dexterity or Strength-Based Damage 2, Dangerous; 4 pts
Shortbow: Ranged Piercing Damage 2; 1 pt

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +7 [Unarmed -1; Short Sword +3, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +1
Bow +5 [Shortbow +2]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 (+8 with Shield) [DC17/18] Parry +7 (+8 with Shield) [DC17/18]
Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +2

COMPLICATIONS:
Chicken: Goblins are cowardly creatures, likely to flee quickly if the tide of the battle turns against them.

Abilities 18 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Powers 11 + Defenses 5 = 54 / 54

Comments: Ankle Shanker has trained up a group of goblins that are very effective in combat, especially in small groups, so here’s my take on them.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

152 - Bat (Gurmag Swifting)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Anything a falcon can do, a bat can do in pitch darkness. - Urdnan the Wanderer

BAT (GURMAG SWIFTWING)
PL3

OPL: 3; DPL: 3; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH -1, STAMINA 1, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 3, INTELLECT -4, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -3

SKILLS: Acrobatics (+3/+7), Athletics (-1), Deception (-3), Insight (+1), Intimidation (-3/-4), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion (-3), Stealth (+3/+7)

ADVANTAGES: Favored Environment (Flying), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Initiative (1)

POWERS:
Big Bat Size: Shrinking 4 (-1 Str, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation, Speed -1 (1 mpr/15 fpr), -1 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 9 pts
Bat Wings: Flight 2 (8 mph/120 ft pr; Flaw: Winged), Enhanced Skills 2 (Acrobatics 4 ranks, Flaw: Limited to when flying); 3 pts
Bite: Piercing Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Grabbing, Linked [Weaken]), Weaken Stamina 1 (Extra: Concentration, Linked [Damage], Flaw: Grab-based); 2 pts
Echolocation: Senses 4 (Normal Hearing [Accurate, Extended], Ultra-Hearing); 4 pts
Haste: Features 2 (Can act in same round if Summoned as minion); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +5 [Unarmed -1; Bite Damage/Weaken +0/+1]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 [DC15] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +2

COMPLICATIONS:
Blind as a…: Bats are notoriously near-sighted and rely on their other senses to perceive the world around them.
Disability: Gurmag Swiftwings cannot speak, nor use their claws or wings to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable: Bats do not like the cold.

Abilities 2 + Skills 2 (4 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 20 + Defenses 3 = 30 / 30

Comments: The Gurmag Swiftwing, a giant bat from the Gurmag swamps in the Sultai territory of Tarkir, was a great little card in the Tarkir limited (draft/sealed) format. It was able to get out quick and knock a couple life points off a foe to put them on their heels.

I love bats overall, and think they are extremely misunderstood. And yes, I know I’ve said many time that HATE rats and mice, but for some reason, I like the flying ones. Except when they fly out of the eaves on my house when I’m not expecting it, like one did a few years ago. THEN, I hate them, too. ;)

But overall, they are very misunderstood, mostly due to their old connection to vampires, I suppose. But I can tell you that when I did have a couple of bats hanging around my old house in Missouri, I had a lot fewer flying bugs and spiders around the house. I’ll take that trade any day. If they poop outside, that is. Guano is a NASTY clean up in your attic.
Thorpocalypse

153 - Rotting Mastodon

Post by Thorpocalypse »

It is believed that Mastodons became extinct long ago and the foul forces of the Gurmag Swamp sometimes animate the decaying remains of those the met their fate ages ago. The Silumgar happily exploit such creatures but consider them inferior to their own necromantic creations.

ROTTING MASTODON
PL7

OPL: 6; DPL: 7; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 8, STAMINA --, AGILITY -2, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 2, INTELLECT -4, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE -4

SKILLS: Athletics (+8), Deception (-3), Insight (+0), Intimidation (-4/-1), Perception (+0), Persuasion (-3), Stealth (-2/-8)

ADVANTAGES: Close Attack (2), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Interpose

POWERS:
Mastodon Size: Growth 6 (+6 Str, +6 Sta, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth, +3 Intimidation, Speed +0, +6 Mass, Reach [5 ft]; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 13 pts
Undead Immunity: Immunity 35 (Fortitude Effects, Necrotic Damage [Flaw: Limited to half effect]); 33 pts
Thick Hide: Protection 13, Impervious Toughness 7; 20 pts
Pachyderm Senses: Senses 2 (Normal Hearing [Extended], Scent [Acute]); 2 pts
Tusks: Piercing Strength-based Damage 0 (Extra: Dangerous); 1 pt
Trunk: Extra Limbs 1 (Trunk), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Fast Grab, Improved Grab), Reach (5 ft [10 ft total]; Extra to Unarmed); 4 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative -2
Close Attack +4 [Unarmed +8; Tusks +8, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge -2 [DC8] Parry +0 [DC10]
Toughness +13 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude Immune, Will +2

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Rotting Mastodons cannot speak and cannot use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.
Disability: Rotting Mastodons are nearsighted. Their visual Perception check range is 5 ft instead of 10 ft.
Vulnerable: Rotting Mastodons are vulnerable to radiant damage.

Abilities -22 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 73 + Defenses 6 = 60 / 60

Comments: Zombie Mastodons…just another reason to love being a geek.

If you don't think I'm not going to have a bunch of zombies or wights riding into battle on these if I run a game, you're sadly mistaken. 8-)
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

154 - Zombie (Undead Minotaur)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

The work that went into creating this magnificent specimen. Horrific, deadly, well-balanced. Not all necromancers do elegant work like this. - Lestin, Necromancer

ZOMBIE (MINOTAUR)
PL6

OPL: 6; DPL: 6; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 5, STAMINA --, AGILITY -1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 2, INTELLECT --, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE -4

SKILLS: Athletics (+5), Insight (+0), Perception (+0), Stealth (-1)

ADVANTAGES: Close Attack (2), Equipment (1), Favored Environment (Labyrinths/mazes), Languages (1) (Common, Sultai, Base: Minotaur)

POWERS:
Minotaur Size: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass; Extra: Innate); 5 pts
Minotaur Senses: Senses 8 (Normal Hearing [Extended], Darkvision, Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended], Direction Sense); 8 pts
Gore: Piercing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous, Flaw: Limited to when charging); 2 pts
Tough Hide: Protection 9, Impervious Toughness 3; 12 pts
Undead Immunity: Immunity 35 (Fortitude Effects, Necrotic Damage [Flaw: Limited to half effect]); 33 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Battleaxe: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Reach [5 ft]; 4 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative -1
Close Attack +4 [Unarmed +5; Gore +7, Critical 19-20; Battleaxe +8, Critical 19-21]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge +0 [DC10] Parry +2 [DC12]
Toughness +9 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude Immune, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS:
Reputation: Minotaurs are well-known for being quite savage, temperamental and often cannibalistic.
Temper: Minotaurs are known for their towering rages that often cause them to act erratically.
Vulnerable: Zombies are vulnerable to radiant damage.

Abilities -16 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 60 + Defenses 1 = 50 / 50

Comments: This zombie minotaur is based on the Undead Minotaur card art from MTG, but it has the feel of something the Simulgar would create so I’m posting it during this run. Could be used pretty much anywhere in Gloriant, though, zombies are everywhere. They are most prevalent in Wolfenstrahd, Sekumnkhet and Jatar, though.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodclaw

Re: J-Mart Fantasy: Weekend Build Dump - NPCs, PCs, Setting info, etc...

Post by Woodclaw »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:42 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm I can smell the 5th Edition material all over this thread :P

Kudos to you Thorp for not butchering any Italian name with these last posts.
No doubt. I am plucking heavily from that and the Magic the Gathering lore for things right now just because I am really pleased with where Wizards is going with both of those properties at the moment. I keep toying with the idea of starting a 5E thread, but haven't really taken the time to think about to convert superheroes over and not just do my own takes on fantasy stuff. I'll keep kicking it around, maybe I'll jump on it soon.

And I am really glad I did OK with the Italian names. If I keep doing more stuff, call me out if I screw something up. Same with anyone familiar with any if the settings I'm doing based on other cultures. I'd like to be as accurate as possible on things because I know how frustrating it can when it seems like people don't take your culture seriously. And I certainly do try to respect all culture, I just tend to be...um, well, stupid, sometimes and it doesn't always come off that way. Although I guess I'm far from the only one that has had that happen. ;)
Well, a lot of professional writers don't seem to share your concerns.
Also if I really want to be extremely nitpicky and annoying the surname "Di Fiori" while absolutely viable is a teensy bit odd. In Italian preposition are a bit odd because they are only singular and must be joined with articles to be used for plurals, so since Fiori (Flowers) is plural the surname should read "Dei Fiori" o "Di Fiore". Still, "Di Fiori" isn't completely unreasonable and there are a few instances of people with this kind of singular/plural dycothomy, especially in northen Italy.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:14 pm For years I looked down on those trading card game geeks from my tower high atop RPG veteran's mountain. But after I had kids and they started playing Bakugon, Pokemon and other things and like a good dad, I played a bit with them. I didn't really get into it, but I got tired of losing because of what I maintain were made up rules, I started taking them more seriously. I still don't care much for the other TCGs, but when my oldest got into Magic, I started to dig it.

I first started playing Magic the Gathering right about the time the Tarkir block started with the Khans of Tarkir. Tarkir was a plane with a mongolian theme mixed in with Dragons. I was hooked immediately. Eventually, my son bailed on it because he had a falling out with his friend that was really into, but I have since become an addict. I will never be good at it, but I will always love to play and I am have become a huge of the lore, as its easy to tell with the way my fantasy setting has been influenced by it.
Being a former Magic player, I bailed out of before 8th Edition came out, I have to say that I really suffered through the existing detachment between the lore and the actual play element of the game. Starting with dear old Dominaria, the Magic settings had a great amount of lore behind it, but it rarely if even came through in the game, which is kind of ironic. Magic has been the flagship CCG for two decades now and it's one of the few that doesn't include any mechanic that rewards thematic playstyle. Every other CCG I can think of either rewards thematic decks or discourage including non-thematic card.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Thorpocalypse

155 - Dragonlord Dromoka

Post by Thorpocalypse »

The dragonlord Dromoka is, in equal measure, a merciful and imperious leader. An ancient and powerful dragon, she has earned every inch of the territory she commands. Dromoka is closely involved in the affairs of her clan. She frequently roams their territory, communicating with her draconic and human underlings. If she finds the state of an aerie to be satisfactory, she flies on. Should she find weakness, however, she does not stand for it. If possible, she will attempt to rectify the situation; if not, she will summarily devour the weak link. Either way, when she departs, the clan will be better equipped for survival.

DRAGONLORD DROMOKA
PL14

OPL: 14; DPL: 14; HP: 1

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 13, STAMINA 13, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 5, AWARENESS 7, PRESENCE 7

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+15), Deception (+7), Expertise [Dromoka Lore] 10 (+15), Insight 4 (+11), Intimidation 3 (+10/+16), Perception 5 (+12), Persuasion 5 (+12) [Fascinate], Ranged Combat [Blast] 10 (+12), Stealth 7 (+13/+1)

ADVANTAGES: Fascinate (1) (Persuasion), Diehard, Fearless, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Languages (1) (Common, 1 other, Base: Draconic), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Elder Dragon Size: Growth 12 (+12 Str, +12 Sta, -6 Dodge/Parry, -12 Stealth, +6 Intimidation, Speed +1, +12 Mass, Reach 3 [15 ft]; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 25 pts
Dragon Senses: Senses 10 (Normal Vision [Extended], Normal Hearing [Extended], Darkvision, Ultrahearing [Extended], Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended, Tracking]); 10 pts
Elder Dragon Traits: Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds), Immunity 12 (Acid Damage, Aging, Environmental Cold, Environmental Heat, Disease, Sleep, Poison [Flaw: Limited to half effect], Drowning [Flaw: Limited to half effect), Movement 2 (Sure-Footed 2 [Reduce penalty by 2 ranks]); 12 pts
Dragon Scales: Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 13; 17 pts
Dragon Speed: Speed 1 (4 [8] mph/ 60 [120] fpr); 1 pts
Dragon Wings: Flight 5 (60 mph/900 fpr; Flaw: Wings); 5 pts
Frightful Presence: Burst Area Affliction 10 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed and Impaired, 2nd: Stunned and Compelled [to flee], Extra: Burst Area x2 [60 ft radius], Extra Condition, Flaw: Limited to two degrees, Sense-Dependent [Visual], Limited [Once opponent has made a successful resistance check they cannot be affected by power again that day]); 10 pts
Natural Weapons: 26 pt Array; 28 pts
Tail Swipe: Burst Area Bludgeoning Damage 13 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius]); 26 pts
Claw/Claw/Bite: Multiattack Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Dangerous, Split, Variable Descriptor [Piercing/Slashing]); 1 pt
Sunfire Bite: Piercing Strength-based Damage 2 (Extra: Secondary Effect [Heat Damage 15], Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt

Elder Dragon Abilities: 84 pt Array; 86 pts
Beam of Sunfire: Line Area Heat Energy Damage 14 (Extra: Line Area x3 [120 ft line], Linked [Affliction]), Line Area Affliction 14 (Resisted by Fortitude; Visually Impaired, 2nd: Visually Disabled, 3rd: Visually Unaware, Extra: Line Area x2 [120 ft line], Linked [Damage]); 84 pts
Cone of Sunfire: Cone Area Heat Energy Damage 14 (Extra: Cone Area x2 [120 ft cone], Linked [Affliction]), Cone Area Affliction 14 (Light; Resisted by Fortitude; Visually Impaired, 2nd: Visually Disabled, 3rd: Visually Unaware, Extra: Cone Area x2 [120 ft cone], Linked [Damage]); 1 pt
Healing Light: Cone Area Healing 14 (Extra: Cone Area x2 [120 ft cone], Stabilize); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +13 [Unarmed +13; Claws/Bite +15, Critical 19-20, Multiattack; Acid Bite +15]
Ranged Attack +2
Blast +12
Special Attack [Cone of Light +14, Cone Area; Beam of Light +14, Line Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +9 [DC19] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +17 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +13, Will +11

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Greed and territoriality. Even at birth, dragons know their place in the world and that's to get as much as they can and carve out a territory to defend against others who want everything they've gotten.
Power Loss: A Dragon must wait 1-2 rounds (GM rolls 1-10 [2 rounds], 11-20 [1 round]) before using their breath weapon or Acid Bite again.
Responsibility: To the Dromoka Clan.

Abilities 84 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Powers 194 + Defenses 16 = 325 / 325

Comments: I'm not going to post all the Dragonlords and Khans anytime soon, but I figure I should at least get started while I am starting to fill in the setting. I'm kicking them off with the leaders of the Dromoka clan, Dromoka herself and then Anafenza the Foremost. As a build, she's amongst the top tier of my dragon builds, including the ancients of all the dragon types and the other dragonlords. I am considering taking all the dragonlords up to PL15, but I'd like to at least do a test with some of the other dragons before I do so. I think this scary enough.

Dromoka and her brood emerged from Ugin's dragon tempests covered with tough scales that protect them from most clan weapons and magic. They were drawn to Jatar's hot and sunlit deserts.

After Ugin was saved by Sarkhan Vol, the brood thrived. The brood were often at odds with Abzan over their "necromantic" ways, seeing their summoning of the spirits of the ancestors as an affront to nature and life, and thus massacred them until they came to an accord thanks to Sarkhan and Ugin's influence. Under the Elder Dragonlord Dromoka the Abzan name was discontinued, and the group became known as the Dromoka Houses. The Dromoka are a true community, dragons and desert survivors bound together by their common allegiance to their devoted dragonlord and khan. Dromoka and Anafenza have the best dragonlord/khan relationship amongst all the clans of Jatar. The dragon scalelords foster trust among their subjects, while the other clans must spend their time quelling rebellion. Dragons sit on the top of extended families that are organized meritocratically, offering everyone a place. The dragons even offer distinguished humanoids their scales as protection.

Dromoka herself travels between the various aeries, inspecting them for weakness. If possible, she will attempt to rectify the situation; if not, she will summarily devour the weak link.
Thorpocalypse

156 - Anafenza the Foremost

Post by Thorpocalypse »

We do not pile the skulls of our enemies, nor make them into ornaments. We grind them into dust. We leave nothing for their families to weep over, nothing for their descendants to honor. - Anafenza, the Foremost

ANAFENZA THE FOREMOST
PL10

OPL: 10; DPL: 10; HP: 1
Archetype: Khan of the Dromoka Houses
Height: 5-8
Weight: 135
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Red
Skin: Fair
Race: Human
Alignment: Hero - Lawful
Base of Operations: Mer-Ek Fortress
Affiliations: Dromoka Clan

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 12, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS: Athletics 5 (+7), Deception (+5), Expertise [Business] 3 (+5), Expertise [Jatar Lore] 5 (+7), Expertise [Military] 10 (+12), Insight 6 (+10) [Assessment], Intimidation (+5), Perception 5 (+9) [Tracking], Persuasion 4 (+9), Ranged Combat [Bow] 2 (+9), Stealth (+2), Vehicles 4 (+6)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Benefit (6) (Status, Wealth, Resources 6 – Khan of the Dromoka Houses), Close Attack (2), Combat Leader*, Defensive Roll (1), Equipment (4), Fearless, Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (2 others, Base: Common), Leadership, Ranged Attack (4), Takedown (2), Tracking

POWERS:
Tactical Inspiration: Enhanced Advantages 7 (Luck [Inspiration] 5, Inspire 2 [+1 to attacks/checks, +1 to active defenses], Flaw: Check Required [Expertise: Tactics, DC15]); 4 pts
Exile the Fallen: Reaction Perception Ranged Teleport 1 (60 ft/2 miles; Extra: Attack [Resisted by Will], Reaction [to opponent suffering the incapacitated/dying conditions], Flaw: Affects Others Only, Extended only, Limited [to incapacitated/dying opponents]); 5 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(20 pts)
Dromoka Scale: Protection 3; 3 pts
Longsword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Dangerous; 4 pts
Longbow: Ranged Piercing Damage 3; 6 pts
Vehicle: (6 pts)
Ibex Drawn Chariot: Size - M, Strength - 3, Speed - 1, Def - 6, Tough - 6; 6 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +14 [Unarmed +2; Longsword +5, Critical 19-20; Knife +3, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +7
Bow +9 [Longbow +3]
Special Attack [Exile the Fallen Teleport Attack +9, Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +7 (+6 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Anafenza sees the Mardu and Sultai clans as the greatest threats to the prosperity of her people.
Responsibility: To the Abzan houses.

Abilities 68 + Skills 22 (44 ranks) + Advantages 26 + Powers 9 + Defenses 18 = 143 / 143

Build Comments: Anafenza the Foremost is your basic “respected leader” archetype as the Khan of the Dromoka Houses of Jatar. She’s no Surrak or Zurgo in combat, but she’s good enough to hold her own against them and any other high level foes. Her Tactical Inspiration is a work in progress. This is the 3rd run I've taken at it and I think this is will do. Although I am not going to try to mimic many of the Magic the Gathering mechanics like I did at first, I did love her ability to get rid of enemies that have fallen in combat, so I did try to mimic that one.

As a character, Anafenza rides into battle atop a heavy chariot pulled by her two prized ibex. Known as the Foremost, she directs battle from the front lines, her soldiers always able to see her leading the charge, and her elite guard of aven warriors always at her side. She wages war not to conquer, but to maintain the trade routes that allow her clan to function, and to protect her people and her land. She and Dragonlord Dromoka have come to an understanding over the years and the two of them work very well together in leading their clan, working to foster loyalty amongst their people and dragon broods making them formidable adversaries for the other clans.

Anafenza has developed an enmity towards the Kolaghan and Silumgar clans due to the problems they have caused all along the Dromoka trade routes.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Vandalay

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I need to flesh this out a lot more but again, I'm just trying to get the posts up and then I will refine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VANDALAY

A tumultuous island country of wild mana, unstable weather, and floating terrain, Vandalay is a land of incomparable natural beauty and danger. The land is wracked by volatile seismic movements known as “the Roil.” Violent shifts in the landscape make life precarious, unpredictable, and full of adventure. Rivers cascade down from above the skyline. It makes settlements very scarce and only few outposts of civilization are present.

Craggy peaks lurch to crush those who would scale their heights. Lush forests and murky swamps grow over upturned ruins hiding ancient secrets.
The Trap-riddled ruins can be found all across the island. Mysterious glyphs hint at truths long forgotten. Unspeakable monsters lurk in the quiet of these hidden monuments of a forgotten past. The ruins still emanate power, and explorers will undergo great peril to reap their rewards.

Another geographical feature to be noted are the large, floating polyhedron-shaped stones called hedrons that litter the landscape. For a long while, nobody was sure what they were but their gravity-defying existence hinted at the strange properties of gravity and mana on the island. These ancient, rune-carved monoliths are strewn across Vandalay. Up to a mile long, some of these stones drift in the sky; others are buried in the ground, some whole, some broken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCs:

NPCs:

Archetypes:

Races:

Kor

Creatures:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

157 - Kor

Post by Thorpocalypse »

The Kor of Vandalay live a sparce and nomadic existence. They travel mercilessly light, carrying with them only the essentials, valuing the portability of individual skill and strength of character over more "static" virtues. Despite their constant motion, the Kor revere locations in a deep sense. They travel in small bands along one of several pilgrimage routes, visiting dozens of sacred sites across Vandalay. Each pilgrimage circuit takes decades, and many are lost to Zendikar's dangers along the way.

KOR
PL4

OPL: 4; DPL: 4; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 1 (+4), Athletics 4 (+6), Deception (+0), Expertise [Nature] 5 (+5), Expertise [Survival] 5 (+5), Insight 1 (+2), Intimidation (+0), Perception (+1), Persuasion (+0), Stealth 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Equipment (2), Fighting Climb*, Ranged Attack (2)

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
(10 pts)
Climber's Kit: Feature 1 (+2 Athletic checks tp climb); 1 pt
Short Sword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 2, Dangerous; 3 pts
Sling: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Ranged Damage 1, Flaw: Dimished Range (10/25/50); 3 pts; 2 wr

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +4 [Unarmed +2; Dagger +3, Critical 19-20; Shortsword +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +5 [Sling +1]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 [DC15] Parry +4 [DC14]
Toughness +2 (+2 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +2

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: The Kor are nomadic race, but they are very attuned to the land and will always protect theirs.

Abilities 30 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 0 + Defenses 5 = 49 / 49

Comments: The Kor are a humanoid race from the plane of Zendikar in the MTG setting. I’m putting them on my Zendikar expy, Vandalay, in the land of Gloriant. They are pretty close to humans overall, but they are experts in the wilderness and are gifted climbers due to their nomadic nature in the constantly shifting landscape of the land.

The biggest difference is the tentacle thingys that the males of the species have on their chins. I mainly built them as a race so I can build a couple of NPCs of their race that I have in mind for my setting.
Thorpocalypse

Konstantinopolis

Post by Thorpocalypse »

OK, kids. Today's word is ecumenopolis...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KONSTANTINOPOLIS

Konstantinopolis' vast cityscape is a patchwork of grand halls, decrepit slums, and ancient ruins, with layer upon layer of stonework—and guild maneuverings.

Of the countries’ countless civic centers, one looms large above all others: the City of Konstantinopolis, a metropolis so vast that its name has long since become synonymous with the entire domain. It is here, amid the mazes of streets and towering Gothic spires, that Konstantinopolis' guilds vie for power.

Each of the ten guilds has dramatically different cultural identities and functions. The military guild of Boros believes righteousness is fire, shining with the light of justice. The dragon-led Izzet fuses elemental magic and technology, making its members the undisputed masters of innovation.

The exclusive members of Selesnya honor selflessness, nurturing, and spiritual congregation—while outsiders see them as brainwashed nature cultists. The death-worshiping Golgari guild controls a vast undead army and labor force in the city's underbelly. Secretive House Dimir fuels ghost stories of necromancer advisors, phantasmal assassins, and black horrors slithering in the sewers.

Orzhov is a rigid hierarchy of pomp and ritual, slaves to deals and coin. Gruul is the guild of beggars, gangs, and raiding parties, all driven by base urges and instinct.

The Azorius Senate are the primary lawmakers on Konstantinopolis, in contrast to the demon-led Rakdos, who delight in thrill-killing and pleasure-seeking. Amid all this politics and chaos, the researchers of the Simic Combine work industriously to maintain nature, even modifying it to survive.

The power of each guild had been kept in check by an ancient agreement known as the Guildpact. But as this agreement dissolves, conflict once again flares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCs:

Dathan Caspian (Human War Mage)

NPCs:

Archetypes:

Races:

Creatures:
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Zombie (Gravehounds)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Still waiting on last Resident Evil residual checks...

ZOMBIE (GRAVEHOUND)
PL4

OPL: 4; DPL: 4; HP: 0

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA --, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY -1, FIGHTING 2, INTELLECT --, AWARENESS 0, PRESENCE -4

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+5), Stealth 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Improved Trip

POWERS:
Undead Body: Protection 3; 3 pts
Canine Movement: Speed 2 (8 mph/120 fpr), Leaping 1 (15 ft); 3 pts
Canine Senses: Senses 8 (Darkvision, Normal Hearing [Extended], Ultrahearing, Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended, Tracking]); 8 pts
Bite: Piercing Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Secondary Effect); 4 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +4 [Unarmed +2; Bite +3]
Ranged Attack -1

DEFENSES:
Dodge +3 [DC13] Parry +4 [DC14]
Toughness +3, Fortitude Immune, Will +0

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Gravehounds cannot speak nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Vulnerable: Gravehounds are vulnerable to radiant damage.

Abilities -14 + Skills 3 (6 ranks) + Advantages 1 + Powers 51 + Defenses 1 = 42 / 42

Comments: Some undead things for the Gloriant setting. Gravehounds are zombie dogs, similar to what we’ve all seen in Resident Evil. Unlike (most) human zombies, they are fast, so they present a different challenge.
Last edited by Thorpocalypse on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:14 am, edited 4 times in total.