Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Demogorgon

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

DEMOGORGON
Role:
Elder Evil, Arch-Fiend
PL 15 (368)
STRENGTH
15 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 7 PRESENCE 6

Skills:
Deception 8 (+14)
Expertise (Demon) 12 (+20)
Expertise (Magic) 12 (+20)
Expertise (History) 6 (+14)
Insight 4 (+11)
Intimidation 10 (+20 Size)
Perception 8 (+15)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Artificer, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Benefit 6 (Demon Lord), Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Elder Demon Physiology"
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
"Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 4 (Extras: Area, Selective) [24]
Comprehend 3 (Understand, Speak & Read Languages) [6]
Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2]
Features 1: All Attacks Have "Evil" Descriptor [1]

Growth 9 (Str & Sta +9, +9 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -9 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [19]
Senses 4 (Magical Awareness- Acute, Analytical, Ranged 4) [8]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
Regeneration 12 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [13]
Impervious Toughness 13 [13]
Remote Senses 10 (Vision) (Flaws: Limited to Through The Eyes of Followers & Afflicted Chaotic Types) [10]

"Two Heads"
Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]
Enhanced Advantages 2: Second Chance (Mind Control, Perception Checks) [2]

"Four Tentacles"
Extra Limbs 2 [2]
Elongation 2 (Flaws: Limited to Limbs) [1]

"Foment Chaos" Affliction 16 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Chaotic) (Extras: Cumulative, Progressive +2) (64) -- [70]
  • AE: "Hethrediah's Gaze" Mind Control 14 (56)
  • AE: "Flesh Eater" Weaken Abilities 16 (Extras: Broad, Simultaneous) Linked to Healing 8 (Flaws: Limited to Self, Limited to Damage Done) (52)
  • AE: "Aameul's Glare" Blast 18 (Feats: Accurate, Variable 2- Any Energy, Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (53)
    "Red Magic"
  • AE: "Demonic Eruption" Blast 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (56)
  • AE: "Disintegration" Blast 15 Linked to Weaken Toughness 15 (Extras: Ranged) (60)
    "Violet Magic"
  • AE: "Wall of Madness" Affliction 12 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Chaotic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (36)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Hethrediah's Gaze -- (+14 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Foment Chaos +13 (+16 Affliction, DC 26)
Flesh Eater +13 (+16 Weaken, DC 26)
Aamuel's Glare +12 (+18 Ranged Damage, DC 33)
Disintegration +10 (+15 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 30 & 25)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +16 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +12

Complications:
Vulnerable (Holy Attacks)
Responsibility (Multiple Personalities)- Demogorgon relentlessly shifts between the mind of a schemer, and the mind of a chaotic, mad being. He is unpredictable, vicious and can rarely effect a plan for long.

Total: Abilities: 106 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 194 / Defenses: 14 (368)

-Among the most terrifying beings in existence is Demogorgon, the Arch-Fiend who rules one of the layers of The Abyss. Resembling a bipedal, two-headed baboon with tentacles for arms, his is a vision of sheer madness. As a God of sorts, he represents Chaos, Evil and Bloodshed. Demogorgon was once two beings- the left head was the Balor known as Aaameul, who incited a rebellion against the Queen of Chaos and slew her. The right head was Hethrediah, who was created from the Queen's corpse, absorbing Aameul and fusing the two together in a chaotic, unfocused engine of destruction. Other Archfiends live in great fear of Demogorgon's focus- praying that he cannot pay attention to anything for long.

Jab's Notes: Demogorgon is probably the most distinctive and iconic of D&D's Greater Demons/Archfiends, many of whom have some pretty inventive backstories. I'd argue that they're really D&D's best "Original Characters". But really, a two-headed, tentacled Baboon God? That's pretty sweet. At PL 15, he is something most parties, which top out at PL 12, could never face- only Elder Dragons, Linnorms and the like would stand much of a chance without tremendous numbers on their sides.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Pit Fiend! Balor! Klurichir! Demogorgon!)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Nice Demogorgon, Jab. He is definitely one of D&Ds most iconic creations. I see him as more of the main demonic bad guy of their world more so than Asmodeus, who is generally depicted as the top dog. He's more cunning than Demogorgon, but from a pure "oh shit" standpoint, no one else compares.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

yeah Demogorgon was the first true Big bad outside of Tiamat that I ever faced in any campaign and was the first ever defeated when we went to epic levels.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Nalfeshnee! Marilith! Pit Fiend!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Oops- forgot to reply to this. I hadn't seen most of those pics. Some are a bit unsuitable (a bit TOO nipply with the Succubus), but I can add others.
scc

Post by scc »

As crazy as the Demogorgan design is I do love it. It is definitely one of D&D's best characters.
Jabroniville

Tunnelmouth Dweller

Post by Jabroniville »

TUNNELMOUTH DWELLER
Role:
Imaginary Cave
PL 9 (83)
Normal Version:
PL 7-8
STRENGTH 7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+5)
Intimidation 10 (+9 Size)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 9 (+9 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Initiative 3, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, "Echolocation"- Accurate Hearing 2) [4]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
"Large Limbs" Reach 1 [1]
Burrowing 5 [5]
"Predatory Bite" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Immunity 6 (Fire Damage, Heat) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Bite +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Tunnelmouth Dwellers cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 6 (83)

Era: Fantasy Realms
Range: Mountains, Plains
Stereotypes: Evil.
Colouring: Reddish-brown or dark brown.
Size: Up to 10 feet long (2-3000 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Almost always solitary.
Diet: Cave or treasure-hunting creatures.
Tactics: Lure creatures into its maw, then snap down the jaws.

-Tunnelmouth Dwellers are (thankfully) rare predators that specialize in widening their already-huge mouths enough that they resemble an open cave, thus tricking various creatures (usually bats, den-seeking predators or treasure-hunting Questers) into entering its maw and becoming a meal. Certain clever Tunnelmouths have learned to place shining objects in their throats, all the better to lure greedy sentients. Through this odd level of sustenance, it can maintain itself on only a few meals per year. The creatures' skin are of great use in creating Bags of Holding, and any other device that needs to stretch.

Jab's Notes:
Brought to my attention by scc a few months back, these guys have an interesting, silly concept- pretending to be caves so that people will walk in. It has a "Swallow Whole" mechanic that really doesn't work in M&M, but I left in a "bite". It's PL 8.5 offensively, PL 9 defensively- adventurers can take it out, but it's tougher than your average predator.
scc

Post by scc »

Nice Tunnelmouth Dweller. I do like some of D&D's goofier creatures. This one has a cool look. Well at least I think so.

The swallow whole mechanic is a pain to convert over. I did so with some of my conversions but I was never happy with the end result. Don't like the mechanic in D&D either. It is not really a power or ability. Everyone could do it technically with a much smaller creature. Grant you creatures in D&D do it creatures two sizes smaller but still.
Jabroniville

Ahuizotl

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

AHUIZOTL
Role:
Weird Killer
PL 7 (115)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+11)
Deception 11 (+13)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 7 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Daze (Deception), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Tail Hand"
Extra Limb 1 [1]
Reach 1 [1]
"Blinding Strike" Dazzle Visuals 6 (Extras: Linked to Unarmed Damage, Continuous +3, Cumulative) (Flaws: Limited to Critical Hits -2) [18]

Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
"Voice Mimicry" Features 1: May Imitate Voices Perfectly [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Blinding Strike +8 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Eating Things)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 16 (115)

-Ahuizotl are intelligent, aquatic creatures that mimic human speech, luring sentient beings towards their underwater hiding places, at which point they drag their victims beneath the waters and drown them. They are often classified as Abominations, but appear to be weasels, monkeys or dogs afflicted with magical energy from Ley Lines or other sources, which gives them a fifth limb- a tail ending in a four-fingered "hand". They are said to take special joy out of consuming fingernails, teeth and eyes.

Jab's Notes: Given the Aztec-sounding name, I assumed this for a real mythical creature, and sure enough, it's on Wikipedia. I was just fascinated by this thing, as it looked like an evil weasel with a hand on the end of its long tail. They have one of those "Always Works" powers that I degraded to something that requires a save- Critical Hits with their Grab or Bite blind a victim permanently.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

scc wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:30 pm Nice Tunnelmouth Dweller. I do like some of D&D's goofier creatures. This one has a cool look. Well at least I think so.

The swallow whole mechanic is a pain to convert over. I did so with some of my conversions but I was never happy with the end result. Don't like the mechanic in D&D either. It is not really a power or ability. Everyone could do it technically with a much smaller creature. Grant you creatures in D&D do it creatures two sizes smaller but still.
yeah, the mechanic kind of sucks (literally). And it's annoying. And they have to repeat it, word-for-word, in EVERY SWALLOWING CREATURE'S BIO. And it doesn't make any sense ("muscular action closes the hole" so no one else can get out? You can CUT YOURSELF OUT OF A CREATURE'S BELLY and it does almost nothing to the animal). I just dislike the whole thing.
Jabroniville

Manotaurs

Post by Jabroniville »

MANOTAUR
Role:
Bizzare Creature
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (68)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Horns) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+3)
Intimidation 8 (+6, +7 Size)
Perception 8 (+9)
Stealth 5 (+3 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Axe), Improved Grab, Startle

Equipment:
"Axe" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach) (4)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
"Gore!" Strength-Damage +2 (Flaws: Limited to While Charging) [1]
"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Horns +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +2

Complications:
Temper- Manotaur Bulls often fly into an uncontrollable rage when provoked, acting foolishly and recklessly.
Prejudice (Antifae)- Manotaurs are known to be slayers of Elves & Faerie creatures- both would generally attack Manotaurs on sight, or make a point of hunting them down.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 9 (68)

-A "Manotaur" is a strange combination of Minotaur and Centaur- they resemble slightly more man-like Minotaurs on top, but with the lower bodies of a full-grown bull. They consume meat, particularly relishing in the flesh of elves and fairies. They do not appear "naturally" the way other creatures have- they were created by a Fae-hating wizard who wished to combine the savagery and strength of Gallea's Minotaurs with the speed of Frankia's Centaurs. The few Manotaurs now seen are the remainders of this herd, and their descendants- most Fae or forest creatures would attack a Manotaur on sight, and they do not gather in large groups often, so their are few left. They are known for making homes in dense forests, which they guard jealously, often refusing entry to other sentients- their complex, mazelike pathways are known only to them.

Jab's Notes: These things are peculiar beasts that scc showed me from one of those sites that collects old D&D Monster Manuals. It has little place in my world, but I figured I'd give it a token reason for existence (A Wizard Did It). I kept the fact that it hunts Fae creatures.
scc

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Demogorgon! Ahuizotl! Manotaur!)

Post by scc »

I was hoping for this. ;)
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Demogorgon! Ahuizotl! Manotaur!)

Post by Jabroniville »

scc wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 pm Image

I was hoping for this. ;)
Hah, poor Bruiser Mastino.

How f'd up is the wrestling business when that's not even the biggest wrestling-based embarrassment in his OWN IMMEDIATE FAMILY? YO BABY YO BABY YO!!!!
Jabroniville

Century Worm

Post by Jabroniville »

A multi-segmented worm with a rolled-up "hood" and the ability to squirt out wriggly white things. Nope, nothing weird about this one.

CENTURY WORM
Role:
Huge Vermin
PL 11 (154)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 14 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -4

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (48 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
"Tremorsense" Senses 4 (Accurate Ranged Touch 2) [4]
"Huge Size" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Keening" Dazzle Hearing 10 (Extras: Area- Audio Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range) [20]
"Sticky Surfaces" Snare 10 (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Touch Range) Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Progressive +2, Reaction +3) (Flaws: Limited to Ensnared Victims) [80]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Snare +10 (+10 Affliction & +6 Weaken, DC 20 & 16)
Keening +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Will --

Complications:
Motivation (Eating Things)

Total: Abilities: 0 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 133 / Defenses: 18 (154)

-Century Worms are said to represent the uncaring, chaotic nature of the natural world. Magical vermin, these enormous, multi-segmented slugs seek to devour every living creature in their paths, weakening their victims with blood-sucking maggot progeny that constantly spill out of their disgusting, pulsating frames. Drained victims are implanted with larvae, which fester for ten years, after which, they convert the victim into another Century Worm, which gains size every year until they hit the century mark, at which point they attain full growth.

Jab's Notes: Another beast from the "Fiend Folio", these disgusting, multi-segmented penile creatures are Challenge Rating 19, which is REALLY rare for the "Vermin" type- D&D tended to toss creatures of all CRs into those books, regardless of "Type", leading to odd situations like this. I exchanged the "Swallow Whole" mechanic (a D&D trait which doesn't convert well into M&M- it's supposed to be automatic with a successful Grapple check, which would be a mess in M&M stats) for a Reaction-Aura Snare that entraps victims. With an astonishing 40 Hit Dice, these things are primarily dangerous because of the attrition they can bring to the festivities- I went for a huge +14 Toughness Save.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Ahuizotl! Manotaur! Century Worm!)

Post by Jabroniville »

heh- a forum post from 2005 about the Century Worm and the, uh, FAIL inherent in the design: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... ntury-Worm
scc

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Ahuizotl! Manotaur! Century Worm!)

Post by scc »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 am heh- a forum post from 2005 about the Century Worm and the, uh, FAIL inherent in the design: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... ntury-Worm
This is hilarious. I like the one guy's response 'I thought WotC was trying to be "edgy" by having a primordial phallic monster or something.'