Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Kaboomerang

Post by Jabroniville »

KABOOMERANG (Real Name Unknown)
Role:
Blaster
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise) 3 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 4 (Exploding Boomerangs- Multiattack Blast 6- Diminished Range), Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Low-Level Telekinesis"
Enhanced Advantages 7: Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Boomerangs) 2, Ranged Attack 4 [7]
Blast +0 (Feats: Homing 2, Ricochet 2) (Flaws: Requires Existing Ranged Attack) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Boomerangs +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Outrun)- They had a minor snafu at first because she was possessed while they were together the first time, but they've been taking it slow since then. Much to her chagrin.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 12 (105)

-Kaboomerang is emblematic of Kirkmanian Comic Book Writing- basically a name combined with a cool costume, then thrown out there in the background to do whatever. He was pretty much a "Generic Cocky Hero" in Guarding the Globe, which is why I thought it was neat that they did this thing where he revealed a schoolboy-ish crush on his teammate Outrun, and a thing where they slept together while she was possessed. He reveals that this was actually his FIRST TIME, which shocks her (given his natural confidence), and that their relationship was now spoiled by this, but to his credit immediately points out how absurd it is he'd whine about that when she was WAY more badly victimized than he was.

-The two are subsequently seen on a date, taking things slow (as per his wishes)... which is entertaining, because Outrun is ready to jump his bones, while he's all like "No, let's not RUSH things", which is usually either the opposite way in most forms of fiction, or because the guy is a frightened teenager or something, not a grown man. Kaboomerang fights against Robot at first, but upon realizing that he's creating a utopia, he switches sides, leaving Outrun behind.

-Kaboomerang throws (duh) exploding boomerangs, but it turns out pretty quickly that he's using low-grade Telekinesis to accurately "place" them. That said, he's never really that effective in battle, just kind of tossing this low-grade explosives into super-durable bad guys. He manages to survive the whole Invincible series upon his debut, though, so there's that.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Monster Girl! Dinosaurus! Conquest! Allen the Alien!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:30 pm Huh. I forgot that Allen started out pink and gradually morphed into orange over the course of the series.

Allen generally seemed like a good guy constantly caught in a tough situation, having to make real leadership decisions where he had to put the good of his people over the good of other people. It seemed very genuine to me.

His girlfriend tho . . . Allen sort of struck me as the guy who came from a very conservative background who found his first superhot girlfriend who sexed the Hell out of him, and basically has such a stressful job that their home life consists entirely about sex. I know a lot of guys would think that's the perfect set up: go to a job you like, come home, have mindless sex until you can't move, share a meal, go back to work. But she seemed like the kind of crazy you'd want to avoid. Her species whole idea of child raising is to just . . . not, I guess. They never really went into how their kids were raised. She mostly came off as the kind of girlfriend you'd hate for your friend to have.
Yeah, it was established later on that their people had no time for child-care. Honestly, the subplot with her brother having dated Eve was really minor (99% of it happened off-panel), and painted him out to be an idiot, though she insisted they were "IN LOVE" and were really good together. Of course, him acting like a dingus to Mark when they met (when Mark was trying to be an adult about it) painted them both in a bad light. In the end, neither were really characters.

Kirkman sure did have a thing for couples that did nothing but bone, though, didn't they? Mark & Eve had a bunch of sex-related problems (he was "too sensitive" when he lost his powers temporarily; he was afraid to touch her when he was having guilt/shame issues post-Anissa), Allen and his girl were constantly boning, and of course NOLAN & DEBBIE, who had a running gag over almost the entire series that the second they were alone, they'd be pawing each other. Which is cute in an older married couple, but made them come off like horny teenagers.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

One thing I find a bit funny reading the first Trades of Invincible is that they make it fairly clear that Viltrumites have Super-Speed, as they can do some "Flash-type" stuff, at a lower level. But it's done in a way where it's all "do mundane things quickly" (like Mark moving in his stuff to his & William's dorm; or Nolan dressing himself & Debbie when Mark arrives home early), and not only never once gets used in a fight that we can see (unless you count Nolan wiping out the original Guardians of the Globe), but gets largely ignored after a couple of Trades.

I wonder if Kirkman either forgot about that aspect of their powers, deliberately played it down, or what? It might have made them seem too over-powered... but it's KIRKMAN AND THE VILTRUMITES- they were basically O.P. straight away.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Guess who just got a completed commission based on Wicked! Well, I've had them before, but this is the first one that could pass our Board Rules that TYRANT, Ares, makes us use so I don't flood this with eye-melting materials :P.

SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD....
Ken

Re: Clare Voyant

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:03 am Image

CLARE VOYANT (Real Name Unknown)
Are her eyes supposed to be wonky and not not line-up? Or did the artist forget to angle them?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Her head's supposed to be at a tilt, I believe, but the hair doesn't really make that clear. It's Todd Nauck art too, as far as I can tell. All his women had weird, mutant head shapes. And it's a group shot REALLY zoomed in, so it's likely he just screwed up and didn't notice because it was small enough.
Jabroniville

Outrun

Post by Jabroniville »

OUTRUN (Real Name Unknown)
Role:
Background Character, Speedster
PL 8 (112)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Super-Speed"
Speed 12 (8,000 mph) [12]
Quickness 5 [5]
Enhanced Advantages 12 (All-Out Attack, Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 3, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Takedown 2) [12]
Enhanced Dodge 4 [4]
Enhanced Fighting 5 [10]

"Super-Speed Tricks"
"Rapid Area Attack" Strength-Based Damage 2 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst 4, Selective 4) (10) -- [11]
  • AE: "Attack Barrage" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 6) (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Super-Speed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Rapid Attack +6 Area (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Attack Barrage +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +15

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+12 Super-Speed) (DC 22), Parry +7 (+12 Super-Speed) (DC 22), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Kaboomerang)- He wants to take things slow. She doesn't.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 12 (112)

-Outrun is pretty simplistic, and one of THREE blonde women on the Guardians of the Globe. She's just the team speedster, and a bit of a fun-loving sort. However, a story arc sees a Body Possessing minion of Set take control of her, turning her into a complete skank that sleeps with several of the men on her team. When Best Tiger figures out the truth, Outrun is FURIOUS with her colleagues (especially since Shapesmith doesn't realize he's done anything wrong, and Bulletproof is all "hey, women throw themselves at me all the time; how was I to know?"), but Kaboomerang confesses to having real feelings for her, and so they continue forth in a relationship that ultimately goes nowhere because the book is cancelled, and he later joins Robot's army while she does not. She is seen in the future with a mostly-bald head and a little sprig of hair on top, like a Rugrats character.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Anissa

Post by Jabroniville »

0_0

ANISSA
Role:
Dominating Woman, Token Female, Totally Not My Exact Fetish Shut Up
PL 13 (182)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+9)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Viltrumite Physiology"
"Flying Brick"
Flight 12 (8,000 mph) [24]
"That Super-Speed Stuff They Eventually Started Ignoring" Quickness 2 [2]

"Flies In Space"
Immunity 3 (Heat, Cold, Pressure) [3]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [2]

"Hard To Kill"
Immunity 4 (Aging, Suffocation, Radiation, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +15, Fortitude +16, Will +8

Complications: 
Relationship (Mark)- Anissa, desiring to repopulate her race only via strong males, decided that Mark would be that male. His displeasure with her choice was noted, and ignored- she simply tore his clothes off, beat him up, and raped him. She spent weeks taunting him afterwards ("Missed you..."), but eventually came to realize how awful her actions truly were, and tried to apologize.
Relationship (Husband, Marky)- Anissa eventually settles down with a human male, being changed by his life for her, the way all the Viltrumites were changed by their stay on Earth. She adores her son Marky, and her new daughter.
Responsibility (The Viltrumite Empire)- Anissa was loyal to Thragg, but turned on him when his deceptions were revealed.
Responsibility (Viltrumite Rage)- All Viltrumites get angry very quickly, and restraining themselves in times of anger is extremely difficult.
Weakness (High-Level Sonics)- Viltrumites require inner-ear stability in order to fly, and can be incapacitated by certain degrees of sonic pulses.

Total: Abilities: 104 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 13 (182)

Anissa- Named Backgrounder:
-Anissa was the first time the Viltrumites sent another agent to Earth- the only FEMALE Viltrumite then seen, she popped by in order to check up on Mark's progress. She fed him a pack of info about how they would be IDEAL masters of Earth, and would TOTALLY be great for humanity, before they stripped Earth of its resources, the way humanity was going to do anyways. But her lack of tact and charisma held back matters (for starters, she introduced herself to Mark by threatening to kill his mother if he did not fly off with her, because she was worried that civilians would notice her unearthly attire)- something she more or less confessed to be a weakness of their race (she's also the one who finally notes that all Viltrumites are inherently savage, aggressive people who anger easily).

-Anissa is later seen fighting Allen the Alien, who throws the fight when he realizes that Omni-Man is imprisoned in the same vessel from which she departed- in a fine character moment, she responds to the strengthened Allen's fist with a "What the HELL, Unopan? My fourth husband never hit me THAT hard!", implying this woman had... issues. She survives the Viltrumite War and joins Thragg's plan to repopulate their species on Earth, but... well, she's a miserable shrew who kind of hates everybody. She moans to Thragg (paraphrasing: "Surely you realize what you're asking of me is different from what you're asking of the others"), and there's a funny scene of her grimacing horribly at two mooks who are attempting to hit on her while she's sexily dressed at an urban park.

Anissa & Snu-Snu:
-Ultimately, Anissa, who respects only strength and violence, chooses her mate: Mark. Of course, he's with Eve and refuses... so she attacks him. He reluctantly responds by fighting back, but she only licks her lips, revealing that he DOES know what she likes sexually after all! And then she smacks the shit out of him, tears his clothes to pieces, holds him down, and rapes him into a crater that her thrusts make in the Earth. She suggests she'll do it again, taunts Mark later ("missed you"), and leaves him an emotional wreck, even taunting him when he attacks her ("I don't think you realize just how much I'm ENJOYING this."). It was was an extremely graphic scene in a comic known more for violence than sex, a realistic depiction of the after-effects of rape (Mark doesn't want to touch Eve for a while), an huge shock to the senses compared to what you'd expect from Invincible, and totally not my exact fetish.

Anissa Is Rewritten:
-However, despite this very interesting (and not at all sexy) turn of events, Kirkman shrinks back from the story arc. Sure, there's a long stretch where Mark refuses to touch Eve in bed, feeling ashamed of himself. He finally tearfully confesses what happened to Eve, and takes a while to recover. But then he flies off to Talescria, goes through a time-skip, and when he returns to Earth, Anissa's suddenly a completely different person, married to a nice, normal human. And then everyone around him is like "Oh no, Anissa is TOTALLY DIFFERENT now, and you should just let bygones be bygones." Even his own father basically says that she's changed, and she indicates to her own husband that her actions were wrong. It's a very... Kirkman-ish way of dealing with it. Instead of hitting the conflict head-on, he kind of side-steps it and resolves it off-panel because he doesn't feel like writing the story any longer.

-Anissa's relationship with her husband is pretty funny- she REALLY likes saying "horseshit", and when he complains, she says "to call something the shit of an animal is a glorious thing", and points out how much she loves humanity for coming up with it. She and her husband now raise her son (MARKY!), and she joins the fight against Thragg's army. And before we can see any MORE resolution to her thing with Mark (or even get confronted over his SON being birthed from the rape), she is killed in battle by a Ragnar. Bleeding out, she apologizes to Atom Eve for what happened, and dies, leaving Mark to deal with their son in the next issues.

Anissa's Difficult-To-Assess Might:
-Anissa is a tricky character to stat out, because while Conquest is treated like he's the biggest deal of the rank-and-file Viltrumites, he DIES fighting Mark. TWICE! Meanwhile, Anissa, who's never given much verbal credibility in the comic, is strong enough to one-shot gigantic monsters the size of yachts, and hold down Mark and take him against his will. I mean (and I apologize for this image ahead of time), it's theoretically possible that the might Conquest could have held down Mark and raped him successfully, but it implies a REALLY high level of power, considering how strong Mark's gotten by that point (he was PL 12 at least 40 issues beforehand!). The fact that she powers through his punches, and pretty effortlessly holds him down and rapes him, implies that she's a LOT mightier than he is, and at least near the level of Conquest or Omni-Man. The only indication we ever get that she's not one of the top-tier Viltrumites is when she's pretty casually killed by Ragnars in The End Of All Things.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dinosaurus! Conquest! Allen the Alien! Anissa!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

*MOANZ*
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dinosaurus! Conquest! Allen the Alien! Anissa!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

she even looks like my goth ex from college i mention sometimes.
Jabroniville

Kregg

Post by Jabroniville »

GENERAL KREGG
Role:
The #2 Villain, The Ladies' Man
PL 13 (180)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+9)
Perception 5 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Interpose, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Viltrumite Physiology"
"Flying Brick"
Flight 12 (8,000 mph) [24]
"That Super-Speed Stuff They Eventually Started Ignoring" Quickness 2 [2]

"Flies In Space"
Immunity 3 (Heat, Cold, Pressure) [3]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [2]

"Hard To Kill"
Immunity 4 (Aging, Suffocation, Radiation, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2]
Regeneration 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +15, Fortitude +15, Will +8

Complications: 
Relationship (Wives)- Kregg dutifully followed Thragg's orders and began taking human lovers, in order to repopulate their empire. Unexpectedly, however, Kregg found himself falling for each and every one of them! Changed by the human emotions of love, caring and empathy, he became a defender of humanity (even secretly aiding people during a Flaxan invasion).
Responsibility (The Viltrumite Empire)- Kregg is one of the most loyal of Thragg's men.
Responsibility (Viltrumite Rage)- All Viltrumites get angry very quickly, and restraining themselves in times of anger is extremely difficult.
Weakness (High-Level Sonics)- Viltrumites require inner-ear stability in order to fly, and can be incapacitated by certain degrees of sonic pulses.

Total: Abilities: 106 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 11 (180)

-General Kregg, like the black Viltrumite, the knife-haired Viltrumite, Conquest, and Anissa, managed to last through the entire series, largely because he was DISTINCTIVE. The whole race of Viltrumites was primarily made up of dark-haired men with mustaches, so as you might imagine, it was hard to stand out. Kregg thankfully managed a metallic eyepatch, rendering him easy to make out in a crowd. Books and courses on writing recommend little things like this for supporting characters, as a visual "key" is of vast importance, and identifies the character to the audience very quickly.

-Kregg doesn't actually get up to much, plot-wise- he's the one who puts Mark in charge of taking over Earth ("We do not blame you for your father's failure"), but is usually just seen behind Grand Regent Thragg, doing whatever the boss does. However, when he starts repopulating their race (with MANY different women!), he begins to be changed by the love the women feel for him- within only a few months, he's doing super-heroic stuff in secret (against Thragg's exact orders), and finally turns on the boss when it's revealed that Nolan & Mark are the true heirs to their Empire. Kregg actually lives the whole series through!

-Kregg is slightly more elite than normal, and manages to survive scraps that end some pretty high-end characters, so I'm marking him as PL 13- one higher than the "standard" Viltrumite.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Ragnars

Post by Jabroniville »

RAGNAR
Role:
Unstoppable Beasts
PL 14 (126)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Intimidation 10 (+7)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack 3, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 4, Power Attack

Powers:
"Unkillable"
Immunity 20 (Bludgeoning Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [10]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 18) (Flaws: Limited to Bludgeoning Damage) [10]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +8 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 5) [14]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Claws & Teeth +12 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +15 (+17 vs. Bludgeoning, +9 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Killing)- Ragnar appear to have no purpose other than to slaughter.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 6 (126)

-Ragnar are a VERY strange addition to Invincible. I mean, they're basically unthinking, slavering, unkillable monsters that are found on a random planet as part of Omni-Man's plot to deal with the Viltrumite Empire... and then they don't even matter in the war. They get thrown into the mix by the Space Racer, kill a few Backgrounders, and that's it. And yet they suddenly score DEATH AFTER DEATH at the end of the series, as suddenly they're thrown around on leashes by Grand Regent Thragg (which looks hilariously silly in the art)- they nearly kill him during his fight against Battle Beast, but his opponent honorably evens the odds himself, and Thragg captures the creatures and throws them into combat with others. They even kill a major character in the end!

-Ragnar aren't even characters, but are powerful beyond measure- Nolan himself is terrified of their power and unkillability. They are seen slicing through Conquest's head and tearing off his hand in the past (though this is due to the temporary weakness imbued by the "Scourge Virus"), but by the end of the series, they're still slaughtering PL 14 characters in casual combat.

-It's the damndest thing, though- I was ready to stat them up as PL 15 monsters, with +20 Toughness and +18 Damage-dealing... but then I re-read the scene where they're involved in the fight between Battle Beast and Grand Regent Thragg- they easily slice through Thragg, but the former Viltrumite leader grapples with three of them... and then Battle Beast just starts ANNIHILATING THEM, one-shotting three freaking Ragnar by himself, before some Thraxan Mantis-People fly in on skimmers and start LASER-BLASTING THEM. It's absolutely insane, because this suddenly makes them ridiculously vulnerable. So when they start wiping out important Viltrumite characters later, it looks like a weird contrast. Just how durable ARE they?

-Ultimately, talking with some others, I realized that the "early showings" typically involved them facing down Viltrumites... who are non-versatile attackers. Their blunt fists (even in the "swimming motion" they use to pierce through people's bodies) fail to injure Ragnars at all. This, to me, indicates that they are partiall-immune to Bludgeoning Damage, whereas other damage typically does much worse.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Best Tiger

Post by Jabroniville »

BEST TIGER (Real Name Unknown)
Role:
Best Hero Ever
PL 10 (176)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 10 (+13)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Streetwise) 8 (+10)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+10)
Perception 11 (+16)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Pistols), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Pistols) 4, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Luck, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 9, Takedown, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Blindsight"
Remote Sensing (Vision) 2 [4]
Senses 5 (Detect Weakness, Ranged, Acute, Analytical) [5]
Senses 6 (Analytical Hearing 2, Mental Sense- Ranged & Analytical) [6]
"Great Shot" Blast +0 (Feats: Ricochet 3, Homing 3) (Flaws: Source- Firearms) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Knives +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Pistols +15 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +10

Complications:
Disabled (Blind)- Best Tiger wears a blindfold, not because he is blind, but because "MORE CHALLENGE."

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 32 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 15 (176)

-Of all the Guardians of the Globe, the Kirkman/Hester team seemed to have by far the most fun with Best Tiger. Introduced as an inscrutable Chinese warrior with broken English, who almost never gave his motivations, the writers just ended up Power Geeking him again and again until you basically accepted that he was the most awesome guy ever. It helps that, like Gruenwald's Captain America, all of his victims were mere Jobbers and Mooks- so his impressive "Good Showings" don't end up humiliating established characters or anyone who's supposed to be good.

-Examples: When a teammate assumes that he's blind and uses mystical blindsight, Best Tiger rebuffs him- "MORE CHALLENGE." He's clearly annoyed by simple tasks, and seems to relish the most difficult assignments (though he NEVER smiles- he just says stuff like "Finally- difficult challenge"). He can pinpoint the exact location Slaying Mantis needs to strike to bring down an entire prison on top of a bad guy. He is able to find out that Outrun is being possessed by a villainess because he can hear the goddamn whistling of the wind down her armpits, because Outrun shaved in a different direction than the villain does! When rebuffed over the unlikelihood of this, he simple responds "Name not Good Tiger. BEST TIGER."

-And of course there's that issue where a mind-controlling villain Insomniac "takes control" of him, forcing him to kill the entire Guardians of the Globe one after another, using elaborate plans he's already invented- he climbs inside Yeti to stab at his vulnerable innards, teleports Brit to another dimension, shoots out Pegasus' wings, and more, only struggling with El Chupacabra, because they're more evenly matched physically, and he's tired enough. The gleeful villain greets Best Tiger, who's entered his prison cell... and reveals he's faked out the entire thing, making the villain "see" what he wanted to see. Then, when Insomniac suggests that there's no way the hero could figure out what part of his brain controls his psionic powers, Best Tiger agrees "Indeed. Until you opened mind to BEST TIGER." Then he ricochets a bullet around the room until it ends up under Insomniac's chin, firing into his brain.

-Sadly, Best Tiger rarely shows up in Invincible, simply appearing as a grimacing guy with a blindfold it most battle scenes. Hell, he's even seen DEFEATED more than once, lying down beside his teammates after a "Big Deal" villain shows up. He manages to survive everything, but never matters to the plot after Invincible #110 or so.

-Best Tiger is a tricky one to stat- he's clearly got Super-Hearing, some form of ESP (he's sort of able to "piggyback" along Insomniac's signal to figure out his location), Weakness Detection (Karnak-style), and the ability to use any guns like a "Ricochet/Homing" weapon (at one point, he taunts a villain with "left hand", walks away, then ricochets a bullet around until it in fact penetrates the guy's left hand). He's one of the few PL 10 Guardians of the Globe.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Chupacabra

Post by Jabroniville »

EL CHUPACABRA (Francisco Vasquez)
Role:
Alcoholic Hero
PL 8 (108)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Current Events) 3 (+4)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Investigation 6 (+7)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+7)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 1, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Claws +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications: 
Addiction (Alcohol)- Francisco CRAVES alcohol- it has ruined his life, lost him his marriage, and left him suicidal for a time. He confesses to his sponsor (the super-villain Titan) that "I craved it. Like an ANIMAL."
Guilt (Cast Iron's Death)- Cast Iron died saving El Chupacabra's life, when the suicidal hero was willing to let War Woman kill him.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 12 (108)

-El Chupacabra was an interesting side-story in Guarding the Globe- he was a degenerate alcoholic, drinking his misery away after his wife had left him. Cecil felt he'd owed Chupacabra, and put him on the Guardians of the Globe, much to the chagrin of Brit. Brit repeatedly derided the recruit, and was disgusted when Chupacabra showed up to missions drunk, and got his teammate Cast Iron killed (he wished to die, but Cast Iron leapt in the way of War Woman's axe). Booted from the team, Chupacabra does a heroic return in the end, getting to rejoin.

-Chupacabra gets Cast Iron's family arrested (he was the only hero in a family of criminals), but falls off the wagon at a superhero wedding- he confesses to his sponsor (who turns out to be the crime-boss, TITAN!) that he craved liquor too much- he didn't even fall into addiction- he just LOVED IT too much to stay away. Titan finally beats him up and figures out that FRANCISCO is not an alcoholic- EL CHUPACABRA is. The stresses of that part of his life lead him to drink, and so he attends AA-style meetings with other super-people, crossing the hero/villain divide.

-Chupacabra stands out as being easily the COOLEST-LOOKING of the Guardians of the Globe- that costume is just terrific- scary-looking while still looking super-heroic, dark without being grim, and has colors in just the right places. It's probably a bitch to draw, but I like it.

-Chupacabra is a strictly Street-Level hero, being incapable of hurting anyone in Cast Iron's family- he just doesn't have the hitting power to do it. He is clever and athletic, however, which lets him fight lower-end characters.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Set

Post by Jabroniville »

SET
Role:
Big Bad

-Set has a really cool design, and is the Big Bad of the first Guarding the Globe Limited Series. He gathers an army of super-villains (including Mr. Liu, Titan and Octoboss) in order to take down the Guardians, then wrecks the city of Paris. However, the Guardians manage to knock off his face-mask, which causes his Mind Control powers to run wild. This makes him MUCH more dangerous, but is apparently against the rules set by his father- he willingly leaves the battlefield. He returns later to face his brother Thoth in battle, aiding the Guardians against him. They apparently have a relationship based around this kind of competition- though Brit hates Set and everything he stands for, he agrees to a temporary alliance.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 17, 2022 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.