Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Donphan! Celebi! Misdreavus!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Vileplume! Krenshar! Formians! Ettercap!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:29 am
Davies wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:46 am I suspect (no proof) that both these critters come from the very strange mind of Bruce Cordell, mostly because the only time Ethereal Filchers have ever been expanded upon was the introduction of the Temporal Filcher in the Psionics Handbook.
Cool! Was he mainly about that book and concept? I don't really know any of the personalities behind D&D, save Gary Gygax himself.

Looking through the Monster Manuals is a fascinating thing, because you often find strange things like this- random, odd-looking throwaways that mean nothing to the setting (the Filcher & Marauder). Huge, two-page bios for a thing that never mattered (Tojanida & Formian). Miniature bios for things that are super-famous and legendary (Owlbears, The Tarrasque). Small bits on things that get expanded upon elsewhere (Mind Flayers, Aboleths). It's actually hard to get a handle on "What's important to the game" just from reading these. The only stuff you REALLY get a sense for are the importance of Dragons, Demons & Devils, all of whom get a huge amount of space.
In my day job I translate RPG stuff and I had the chance to see some originals from both Monte Cook and Bruce Cordell ... those guys are nuts.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
L-Space

Re: Ethereal Marauder

Post by L-Space »

Just going to skip over the Fecal Ooze post... :?
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 am Image
This thing looks almost exactly like "graboids" from the Tremor sequels :lol:.
Formerly luketheduke86
Woodclaw

Re: Ethereal Marauder

Post by Woodclaw »

L-Space wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:52 pm Just going to skip over the Fecal Ooze post... :?
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 am Image
This thing looks almost exactly like "graboids" from the Tremor sequels :lol:.
I think that was a likely inspiration.

Jabroniville

Lamia

Post by Jabroniville »

LAMIA
Creature Type: Altered Humanoid, Beast-Kin, Tauric
Typical Adult Height: 5'6"-6'8"
Birth Rate: 1 infant once a year
Lifespan: 0-10 (Cub), 11-59 (Adult), 60-80 (Elder)
Nicknames: None
Sexual Dimorphism: As humans- lighter builds, mammaries, less body hair
Skin Tones: Pink to darker brown
Hair: Tawny fur on leonine parts; brown or black on humanoid heads.
Racial Mounts: None
Racial Weapons: Daggers
Religion: None

-Lamias exist in desert-like conditions, and resemble Centaurs with leonine lower bodies. The species is very sexually dimorphic, though females are by far the most commonly seen, so most assume the race is female-only. They have humanoid upper bodies, but sport sharp teeth, wild temperaments, and a proclivity for nudity that marks them as distinctly uncivilized. Most are roaming monsters who attack weak targets, taking special pleasure in killing and eating sentient beings- few are ever seen in groups. This solitary nature means that many tribes believe the creatures are singular, and refer to "The Lamia", while others have sparked various fables and stories about the creatures' origins and true nature- many believe them to be the cause of infants who die suddenly, or all manner of calamity.

-Lamia are similar to Beast-Kin, but have a different origin- they are the descendants of women who were cursed by divine beings for various transgressions, such as having affairs with married Gods, cannibalism, or killing children. These women were transformed into vicious, insane monsters who know only torment, and were thus forced to attack people until they were some day killed.

-Because of this origin, Lamias typically do not do well with each other- mating between Lamias is rare, and the act itself is so violent that typically only the female survives, justifying thoughts that Lamias are only female.

Jab's Notes: Lamia are actually pretty decent in D&D, sporting CR 6 and some Magical Abilities, though the game puts zero focus on them- they're pretty much just "filler" in Monster Manuals. I find the idea of anything with the lower body of a LION fighting using daggers to be pretty silly, but that's D&D for you. In D&D, they're physically quite weak, but have a LOT of toughness (9 Hit Dice), and some good magical stuff.

-Lamia are a creation of Greek Mythology, and was the name for a singular creature- a woman who had a tryst with Zeus, and was punished by a jealous Hera with the deaths of her children, and an eternal sleeplessness. Insane with rage, she became a child-devouring monster, and eventually a "bogeyman" whose name was used to scare naughty children. The tale is rather vague, with serpentine, goat-bodied or comely Lamias being common- many paintings are of innocent-looking lithe seductresses. D&D's Leonine Lamia is the only one I can find of that type- the vast majority of images are of things closer to D&D's Yuan-Ti or snake-bodied women in general. Lamiae are used to explain Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, or used as a general insult to "meddlesome busibodies" who muck things up in society (oh man is that ever relevant today).

ImageImage

LAMIA
Role:
Monster
PL 7 (113)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 6 (+11)
Expertise (Survival) 9 (+10)
Intimidation 9 (+7 Size)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment (Superfluous Daggers), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Wisdom Drain" Weaken Awareness 6 (6) -- [7]
  • AE: "Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Tawny Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+9) (Flaws: Limited to Grasslands & Brown Areas) [1]
"Spell-Like Abilities" Illusion 6 (Visuals & Hearing) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws & Teeth +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Daggers +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Wisdom Drain +7 (+6 Weaken, DC 16)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Eating Sentient Beings)- Lamia appear to take particular delight in killing and eating sentient beings.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 13 (113)

-Lamia are very dangerous fighters, able to go toe-to-toe with almost any sentient creature, so long as they aren't masters of their style. The Illusions provide an extra level of danger, as does the fact that their strikes can render individuals more stupid and gullible with each successful hit. In combat, Lamia are savage fighters, usually using Illusions to lure their victims into a disarmed state (lovely maidens are a common motif), then tearing at them with mighty claws. Some use daggers, though such things are superfluous to anything with the body of a lion- it is merely a stylistic choice, as the carnage blades render is considered quite beautiful by some.
Jabroniville

Lammasu

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

LAMMASU
Role:
Guardian Figure
PL 10 (137)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+6)
Insight 10 (+13)
Intimidation 5 (+11 Size)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 8 (+1 Size)

Advantages:
Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (5) -- [6]
  • AE: Speed 3 (16 mph) (3)
"Tawny Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+9) (Flaws: Limited to Grasslands & Brown Areas) [1]
"Large Size" Growth 7 (Str & Sta +7, +7 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -7 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [15]

"Magic Circle Against Evil" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (24) -- [26]
  • AE: "Invisibility" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) (2)
  • AE: "Dimension Door" Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Magic Circle +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +9, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Doing Good)- Lammasu are ardent defenders of good against evil beings.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 18 (137)

-Lammasu are powerful beings created by noble Gods to act as guardians for good beings. Though most are under the direct command of divine beings, others are allowed to traverse the world under their own power, fighting evil as they see fit. They have the bodies of powerful lions or bulls, giant wings, and humanlike faces. Many noble kingdoms of old boasted of Lammasu defenders, though these have largely disappeared from the world, implying either the sinfulness of modern people, or the necessary joining of these beings for a bigger goal.

-Lammasu are very powerful on their own, and many also learn spells, typically based around White Magic.

Jab's Notes: The famous Lammasu-themed gates of Babylon are in some of the world's biggest museums, and are ancient wonders... which makes it kind of sad that every time I see them, I'm like "Oh, these guys have one, too", because of course New York, London & Paris all have these rare wonders, making them seem way more mundane to me than they should be :). They appear little in mythology that we know of, but were guardian figures to ancient people- D&D includes them in a minor role.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Ettercap! Elementals! Filchers! Lamia!)

Post by Jabroniville »

The "L" section is rather odd to me- three distinct, different, sentient animalistic beings, all of whom are nonetheless pretty redundant-feeling in the D&D world :). Lamia, Lammasu & Lillends don't seem like they get a lot of play.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

In mythology there really are a lot of monsters which are just 'random mash-up of human and animal parts'. I have to say that I like best in fantasy RPG's those monsters which are more original creations, things like the Aboleth or the Chuul.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Gamebook wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:48 pm In mythology there really are a lot of monsters which are just 'random mash-up of human and animal parts'. I have to say that I like best in fantasy RPG's those monsters which are more original creations, things like the Aboleth or the Chuul.
I think that animal parts are a lot less random than one might think. Adding a human head was a way to make certain creatures relatable and to imply a high degree of intelligence.

Personally, I'm often weirded out by some of the most random monsters around -- like the yrthak from the 3.x or the flumph -- they're extremely hit or miss.
Things like the aboleth works because they look like they have some kind of ecology -- however twisted -- but many other moster seem to be just a super-random collection of traits.

Jabroniville

Lillend

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

LILLEND
Role:
Guardian Figure
PL 9 (120)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Art) 8 (+12)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+6, +8 Size)
Perception 7 (+10)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+7, +3 Size)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Languages (Many)

Powers:
"Otherworldly Traits" Immunity 7 (Starvation & Thirst, Fire Damage) [7]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
"Large Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Comprehend 2 (Speak to & Understand Animals) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Protecting Art & Wilderness)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 16 (120)

-Lillends are powerful winged creatures who resemble human or elven females above the waist, and rainbow-hued serpents below. They are artistic wonders who hail from another plane of existence, and are thus rarely encountered on Castellia. Typically, they guard only great song and art- viciously-attacking any beings who bring harm to museums, places of entertainment, and other places of artistic endeavor. When they spend time on the material plane, they typically inhabit unspoiled wilderness, which is one of the only times they can be seen gathered in groups.

-Lillends are reasonably-powerful melee fighters, but also typically know magical spells.

Jab's Notes: Lillends are pretty cool-looking, but a minor part of D&D. The "Pathfinder" game actually sets them up as divine Celestial beings.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Lillends are on my list of "potential oracles" creatures that I use to either nudge the party or mark when the shit hits the fan.

Jabroniville

Barghest

Post by Jabroniville »

BARGHEST
Role:
Otherworldly Hunters
PL 6 (100)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Lupine Form" Morph 1 [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Feed" Protection 2 (Flaws: Source- Feeding on Dead Bodies) [1]

"Charm Person" Mind Control 4 (16) -- [18]
  • AE: Illusion (Vision & Hearing) 5 (15)
  • AE: Healing 6 (Flaws: Source- Dead Bodies, Limited to Self) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Charm Person -- (+4 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Cautious)- Barghests rarely attack unless their numbers overwhelm those of their foes.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 8 (100)

-Barghests are Goblin-like beings that exist on a plane not our own, and can transform into vaguely-lupine shapes, with evil faces atop wolf-like frames. As they age, their skin turns from pink to blue. Vicious, but not especially brave, they typically attack in numbers, focusing their greatest numbers against the smallest number of foes.

Jab's Notes: Barghests are... odd. Kind of a low-level "Filler" creature for when you get sick of fighting ACTUAL Goblins. The name actually comes from the mythology of Northern England, where "Black Dogs" were a big Cryptid/legend that is a death omen.
Jabroniville

Troglodytes

Post by Jabroniville »

TROGLODYTES:
Typical Adult Height: 4'6"-5'6"
Birth Rate: 5-20 infants once every four months
Lifespan: 0-13 (Child), 14-20 (Young Adult), 20-80 (Adult), 81-100 (Elder)
Nicknames: None
Sexual Dimorphism: None.
Skin Tones: Usually mottled greys and browns.
Hair: None (feature large scales)
Racial Mounts: Struthiomimus, Gallimimus
Racial Weapons: Spears, Javelins, Throwing Axes
Religion: Hunter Gods

Allies: Kobolds, Lizardmen, Dragons

Encounter Groups:
Solo (1)
Group (2-12, plus 0-4 Mounts)
Bands (4-35 plus 0-5 Elites, 0-20 Mounts, 0-15 Animals, 0-50 Kobolds, 0-2 Heavies, 0-1 Monster)
Tribe (15-75, plus 3-30 Elites, 5-45 Mounts, 0-45 Animals, 0-100 Kobolds, 0-5 Heavies, 0-2 Monsters)

PL Variants:
PL 0-2: Weaker Specimens
PL 4: Common Troglodyte
PL 5: Elites

-Troglodytes, or "Trogs", are known to be a subspecies of Skink, stouter and stronger than the typical specimen, but still diminished from the larger Saurus. They are most distinctive for their signature "musk" scents, as well as a proclivity towards consuming sentient beings.

Jab's Notes: I wasn't even gonna include these things, as they're entirely redundant, but I figure the musk and carnivorous aspects can be used to make them a "subspecies" of Skink, known only to certain areas.

TROGLODYTE
Role:
Reptilian Mooks
PL 4 (57)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 6 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+2)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment 3, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Powers:
"Cold-Blooded" Immunity 1 (Heat) [1]
"Reptilian Senses" Senses 2 (Acute Scent, Infravision) [2]

"Aquatic Physiology"
Swimming 2 (2 mph) [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]

"Musk" Affliction 2 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Area- Scent Perception, Reaction +3) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to Once Per Target Per Day) [6]

Equipment:
"Javelin" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Ranged 2) Linked to Weaken Stamina or Strength 2 (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2) (12)
"Spear" Strength-Damage +2 (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Javelin +5 (+3 Damage & Weaken, DC 18 & 12)
Spear +5 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Musk +2 Area (+2 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +0

Complications:
Weakness (Cold)- As cold-blooded reptiles, Skinks are very prone to temperature change, and will not survive for long in winter habitats. Similarly, they will take additional afflictions from any Cold-based attack.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 4 (57)

-Troglodytes are slightly stronger than baseline Skinks. Their musk is a notable trait, but not overly powerful.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:42 am The "L" section is rather odd to me- three distinct, different, sentient animalistic beings, all of whom are nonetheless pretty redundant-feeling in the D&D world :). Lamia, Lammasu & Lillends don't seem like they get a lot of play.
Going on 15 years of gaming, I'm pretty sure I've come across a Lamia once and never faced/seen the other 2 in a campaign.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Belker

Post by Jabroniville »

BELKER
Role:
Air Elementals
PL 7 (81)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+8 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Startle

Powers:
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
Flight 3 (16 mph) [6]
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

"Smoke Claws" Damage 6 (Extras: Penetrating, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (18) -- [19]
  • AE: "Smoke Form" Insubstantial 3 (15)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Smoke Claws +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 9 (81)

-Belkers are little-understood Air Elementals possessing a rudimentary intelligence and a shy disposition that means they are rarely seen by others. Comprised of smoke-like material, they shift in shape and color quite frequently. They attack by transforming into a smoke cloud, enveloping victims, and solidifying parts of the smoke inside the bodies of victims, tearing at them with "Smoke Claws".

Jab's Notes: I thought these things were undead. I guess they're just... undead-LOOKING. Which means they're probably there to fool players into thinking Holy/Light stuff will work on them.
Jabroniville

Basilisk

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

BASILISK
Role:
Reptilian Monsters
PL 7 (96)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Eight-Legged" Extra Limbs 4 [4]

"Petrifying Gaze" Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed, Hindered & Impaired/Stunned, Defenseless & Disabled/Transformed to Stone & Unaware) (Extras: Extra Condition +3, Perception-Ranged +2, Continuous +3) [45]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Petrifying Gaze -- (+5 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 9 (96)

-Basilisks are infamous, frightening creatures- draconic-looking reptiles that lurk in hidden burrows and tunnels, and possess a gaze that may turn things to solid stone. Though this is a permanent affliction, the creatures are rarely-seen by humans, as they typically assault small prey, freezing them with their Gaze attack and then consuming the stone (which they are able to digest). Basilisks are prized as defenders for those able to afford them- they are relatively easy to keep, but difficult to capture, and must be trained to not turn their Gaze attack on their owners. Typically, someone will simply leave the creatures in a lair they never themselves visit, leading the care of these creatures with expendable minions.

-Basilisks superficially resemble some Dragons, but are actually lizards mutated by proximity to magic. Their relative stealth and ability to go weeks without eating has left them more widespread and successful than most Magical Beasts.

Jab's Notes: Basilisks are part of Medieval European Mythology, and are said to be serpents that possess a deadly venom that can kill anything. Very closely related to tales of the Cockatrice, they were modified by D&D into eight-legged reptiles with a Medusa-like stare. At only CR 5, Basilisks aren't major threats (the save DC is only 13- a first-level character can save 50% of the time!), but D&D has a lot of Permanent effects like this, meaning it's expensive to cure those afflicted. My own version is a PL 6 fighter with PL 7 defenses and a PL 5 Gaze attack.