Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Donphan! Celebi! Misdreavus!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Bodak

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

BODAK
Role:
Undead Monster
PL 8 (86)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Undead" Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]
"Death Gaze" Weaken Stamina 5 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) [15]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerable (Holy Attacks, Light Magic)
Vulnerable (Sunlight)
Responsibility (Flashback)- Bodaks still recall bits and pieces of their past lives, and have a 5% chance every encounter of freezing and being unable to act for one round, then taking a -2 penalty on all acts for the rest of the encounter.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 2--1 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 10 (86)

-Bodaks are the undead remnants of those who've died at the hands of absolute evil- their faces are twisted by madness, leaving them uncannily separate from other sentient life. Like most Undead, they are either under the control of another being, or out to kill anyone they can find.

Jab's Notes: These guys are most notable to me for their appearance as alien "Greys" in the 3e Monster Manual. Other versions, however, look nothing like this- it just seems like another Generic Undead, albeit at a much higher base level than most such creatures.
catsi563

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Elementals! Filchers! Lamia! Basilisk!)

Post by catsi563 »

In D20 Modern that's what Bodaks are actually. Undead Grey Aliens
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Elementals! Filchers! Lamia! Basilisk!)

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:26 am In D20 Modern that's what Bodaks are actually. Undead Grey Aliens
Oh neat- I missed that. The Wiki bios for some of these things are pretty scattered.
Jabroniville

Blink Dog

Post by Jabroniville »

BLINK DOG
Role:
Teleporting Animal
PL 4 (50)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+2)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (9 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Blink" Teleport 4 (Feats: Change Direction) (9) -- [10]
  • AE: "Dimension Door" Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Natural Weapons +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dogs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Owner)- Domestic dogs are intensely loyal to their masters, and will fight to the death to protect them.
Weakness- Dogs are utterly incapable of lying. Their entire body reflects their current mood. Just watch them if you notice your lamp is broken, and you will know who did it.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 5 (50)

-Blink Dogs are dogs that have been altered by magical powers, transforming them into teleporting creatures. This is believed to be the result of years of experimentation by Summoners and other Mages. The creatures, a bit more intelligent than regular canines, are adept hunters and hard to catch, which makes their pups extra valuable on the black market.

Jab's Notes: Quite possibly the most boring thing in the Monster Manual, a Blink Dog is only CR 2, and is a... human-level intellect in a teleporting dog's body.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Exeggcutor

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

EXEGGCUTOR
Role:
Zubat Hunters
PL 7 (79)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+1, +2 Size)
Perception 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Senses 4 (Mental Detection- Ranged 2, Acute, Accurate) [6]
"Large Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Immunity 2 (Confusion Effects) [2]

"Psyshock" Blast 7 (Extras: Will Damage, Perception-Ranged) (21) -- [24]
  • AE: "Poison Powder" Weaken Strength 4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (12)
  • AE: "Solar Beam" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Quirks: Cannot Attack in the Round Before) (13)
  • AE: "Telepathy" Communication (Mental) 1 (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Psyshock -- (+7 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Poison Powder +4 Area (+4 Weaken, DC 14)
Solar Beam +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Vulnerable (Fire, Ice & Poison Damage)- Being plant-based gives Exeggcutor many weaknesses.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 10 (79)

-The bizzare egg-creatures known as Exeggcutors are actually carefully-raised eggs from various animals, infused with Violet Magic and forged with mighty trees, creating psionic beings of great strength. They are bred by humans, Elves and other beings to act as hunters for nuisance animals like Zubats and others- their mental detection abilities letting them find the stealthy creatures and allow their handlers to target them. The Alchemical means by which these beings are created makes them highly-valued and very expensive to buy, which explains the rarity of such a useful being. In some parts of the world, the creatures possess an extremely long neck.

Jab's Notes: I don't know anybody who ever played an Exeggcutor, but they were pretty high-strength at first, being Half-Psychic. This was countered by a tremendous number of weaknesses to common things like Poison & Fire, however. They were found only in the Safari Zone in the first game, and are among the dumbest-looking creatures in the first game. The "clutch of eggs" look of Exeggcute is perfectly fine as a "first-level Pokemon", but trying to make a walking palm tree full of eggs into a bad-ass fighter just wasn't gonna take, y'know?

-Exeggcutor appears quite a lot as an antagonist's Pokemon in the anime series, being ugly and believable enough as a threat that it makes a solid "villain", though they're often controlled by good-aligned characters. And it's actually Mr. Ishihara's favorite Pokemon- the creator and manager of the entire franchise considers it his finest creation.
MacynSnow

Re: Blink Dog

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:43 am Image

BLINK DOG
Role:
Teleporting Animal
PL 4 (50)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+2)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (9 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Blink" Teleport 4 (Feats: Change Direction) (9) -- [10]
  • AE: "Dimension Door" Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Natural Weapons +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dogs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Owner)- Domestic dogs are intensely loyal to their masters, and will fight to the death to protect them.
Weakness- Dogs are utterly incapable of lying. Their entire body reflects their current mood. Just watch them if you notice your lamp is broken, and you will know who did it.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 5 (50)

-Blink Dogs are dogs that have been altered by magical powers, transforming them into teleporting creatures. This is believed to be the result of years of experimentation by Summoners and other Mages. The creatures, a bit more intelligent than regular canines, are adept hunters and hard to catch, which makes their pubs extra valuable on the black market.

Jab's Notes: Quite possibly the most boring thing in the Monster Manual, a Blink Dog is only CR 2, and is a... human-level intellect in a teleporting dog's body.
Hey,you leave my Andy Griffith Ranger's Dog alone!

In all seriousness,i had a Human Ranger in 3e have one as a animal companion(i even named him Red after that Blake Shelton song),heck i even managed t breed him with a female Hellhound in heat to make a new breed of dog......
catsi563

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Filchers! Lamia! Basilisk! Exeggcutor!)

Post by catsi563 »

just curious but a -3 in Int for a blinkdog? should they be at a least 1-3 since they are described as Human level intelligent and in fact very smart?
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

If blink dogs have a positive intelligence, couldn't they be possible of lying?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:33 pm If blink dogs have a positive intelligence, couldn't they be possible of lying?
I'm not sure I understand what do you mean.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:40 pm just curious but a -3 in Int for a blinkdog? should they be at a least 1-3 since they are described as Human level intelligent and in fact very smart?
It's not a direct conversion. I think D&D's weird thing with making all kinds of sentient, talking animals is kinda dumb, so several Castellian versions are of regular animal intelligence or slightly better. I think Pegasi or something else are supposed to be smart, too.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:33 pm If blink dogs have a positive intelligence, couldn't they be possible of lying?
They're still dogs- they wear emotions on their sleeves :).
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Woodclaw wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:52 pm
Why do I have a suspicion that I'm about to fall into a trap?

I'm suggesting that the closer something comes to human, rather than animal, intelligence- the more likely they will have the ability, and the desire, to lie.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:14 pm
They're still dogs- they wear emotions on their sleeves :).
They have sleeves?
Last edited by Ken on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:37 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:52 pm
Why do I have a suspicion that I'm about to fall into a trap?

I'm suggesting that the closer something comes to human, rather than animal, intelligence- the more likely they will have the ability, and the desire, to lie.
Okay that's all I wanted to know.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Vampires

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

VAMPIRE
Role:
Scary Monster
PL 8 (161)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+9)
Deception 4 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (History) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Nobility) 4 (+5)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 7 (+10)
Perception 6 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Animal Empathy, Chokehold, Close Attack 2, Daze (Intimidation), Fascinate (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Hold, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Seize Initiative, Startle, Tracking

Powers:
"Undead Monster" Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 6 [6]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrowth) [9]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]

"Animal Shifting" Shapeshift 2 (Flaws: Limited to Bats, Dogs, Rats, Mist) [14]
"The Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage +0 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to 1 Rank Per Minute) Linked to Affliction 6 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Vampire) (Extras: Cumulative, Progressive +2) (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to Drained Victims) [14]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Vampire's Bite +8 (+8 Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 23 & 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (Sunlight, Holy Water)- Either will cause the equivalent of Damage 10, and is not able to be Regenerated.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Vampires must succeed in a Will Check against the wielder's Presence, or else suffer from Affliction 10 (Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed).
Disabled (Flowing Water)- Vampires cannot willingly cross flowing water (streams, rivers, etc.), and must be carried across.
Disabled (Garlic)- Vampires will not willing pass doors covered with garlic, and the stuff itself is noxious poison to them.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 78 / Defenses: 2 (161)

-Vampires are uncommon in most parts of the world, thanks to a great number of Questers that would love to go hunting for them. However, a large portion of the Eastern lands of Castellia (blocking Marsellia and Gallea from the other Human-controlled lands in the crescent-shaped continent) is covered with the Kingdoms of the Vampires. These immortal, powerful beings were able to play political games, hide from Undead Hunters, and form massive armies to protect themselves from interlopers, and eventually became the sole Upper-Class of this part of the world. They vary greatly in power, allies and sanity, with some being deranged monsters that hunt lone travellers, while others are intelligent, savvy manipulators, able to easily move into legitimate Human courts.

Jab's Notes: I haven't really thought a lot about my campaign's Vampires, so I just threw together all the cliched powers into one build. I would fully expect any skilled Vampire Lord to have a SWACK of magical powers, whereas more Animalistic types would lose Intellect and Awareness. A Vampire's Army would likely resemble a Necromancer's, with hordes of Zombies and Skeletons, including some from varied species. And yes, I threw out all that Level Drain shit. Let Wights be special for once :).

VAMPIRE SPAWN: ST -1, Protection -1, INT -1, AWA -2, PRE -2, Close Attack -2 [-15]
-When deciding to "spawn" victims, Vampires sometimes choose to create weaker Vampire Spawn instead of pure Vampires- these creatures are more bestial, and provide less potential competition in the future.
Jab's Notes: Vampire Spawn are a bit weird, in that they have their own slot as a kind of Monster in the Monster Manual, yet "Vampire" is a Template instead. I decided to just make them "worse vampires", representing the types you'll see in some movies, where they're almost more animal than sentient being.