Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Vargouille

Post by Jabroniville »

VARGOUILLE
Role:
Flying Head
PL 4 (52)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [2]
Flight 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [2]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (3 feet) [9]
(-1 Strength, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

"Bite" Damage 2 Linked to Weaken Strength 4 (Extras: Progressive +2) (14) -- [16]
  • AE: "Shriek" Affliction 4 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception) (Flaws: Limited to Once Per Creature Per Day) (4)
  • AE: "Vargouille's Kiss" Affliction 4 (Fort; Dazed/Disabled/Transformed to Vargouille) (Extras: Progressive +2) (Quirks: Takes Around a Day -2) (10)
Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Bite +4 (+2 Damage & +4 Weaken, DC 17 & 14)
Shriek +4 Area (+4 Affliction, DC 14)
Vargouille's Kiss +4 (+4 Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Vargouilles cannot speak, nor use their head-tentacles to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 7 (52)

-Vargouilles hail from the Hellish planes of the Abyss, and resemble winged gargoyle heads. They possess animalistic intelligence, and tend to attack anything that moves. Small but rather deadly, their "Kiss" can transform sentient beings into Vargouilles- a process that can be difficult to stop once started, but takes several days to transpire.

Jab's Notes: Vargouilles are a minor CR 2 threat, but sport a nasty "Kiss" attack that's DC 19 to overcome in D&D. I scaled it back a little, making these odd critters PL 4. I do like the art in the Monster Manual, however- the red, tentacled, winged demon-head thing is a great look, and would seem to fit a much more powerful creature.
Woodclaw

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Lamia! Basilisk! Exeggcutor! Vampires!)

Post by Woodclaw »

I think that the bigtrickof Vargouilles is actually into shock value. The monster itself might be just a low tier, but seeing the head of an NPC gre wings and detach will surely be something to remember.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
L-Space

Re: Exeggcutor

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:23 am EXEGGCUTOR
Role:
Zubat Hunters
Noble beasts
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:33 am Image

VARGOUILLE
Role:
Flying Head
These things always make me think about the flying heads you come across in the Castlevania games.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Girallon

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

GIRALLON
Role:
Four-Armed Gorillas, Beautiful Monstrosities
PL 8 (80)
Normal Version:
PL 6-7
STRENGTH 7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 10 (+8)
Perception 4 (+6)
Plus 4 ranks in any other Skill (Expertise: Perform is common)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Startle, Ultimate Strength Check

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Ape Strength & Long Arms" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]
Protection 1 [1]

"Four-Armed" Extra-Limbs 2 [2]
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Apes cannot speak to humans.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 11 (80)

Range: Tropical Jungles
Stereotypes: Powerful brutes- the most savage of the apes.
Colouring: White
Size: Up to 8.5 feet tall (400-1000 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Small troops (3-20)
Diet: Seeds, fruit, leaves, animals
Tactics: Attack all-out with powerful limbs and teeth.

-Girallons are members of the primate family, and are believed to be simple Gorillas warped by proximity to magic over the centuries. Growing much larger than normal Gorillas, they are snowy-white with dark blue or gray skin, and famously have four arms. Much more ornery and distrustful of outsiders than even other primates, Girallons tend to attack anything that comes into their territory, often consuming their prey after using hit & run tactics, making them very prone to death by violence. Few creatures attempt to tame them, but they have appeared as popular carnival creatures, being deadly and impressive, yet easier to care for than flying or flame-spewing beasts.

Jab's Notes: Among the most beautiful, insane creatures of the Monster Manual are the Girallons, who are my favorite type of D&D creature- the "Regular Animal With One Weird Thing". In this case, these mighty, white apes are FOUR-ARMED, and sport no fancy magical crap or anything else of the sort. They're just big, four-armed apes, and that's spectacular.
Shock

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Exeggcutor! Vampires! Girallon!)

Post by Shock »

Girallons are pulled (almost) directly from the White Apes of the John Carter of Mars books.
Jabroniville

Gibbering Mouthers

Post by Jabroniville »

GIBBERING MOUTHER (aka Wilder)
Role:
Bogeyman-Creature, Warning to Wizards
PL 6 (47+)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -4

Skills:
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab

Powers:
"Amorphous Shape"
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]
Extra Limbs 6 [6]
"Bite" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Bite +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Gibbering Mouthers cannot speak to humans, nor use their "limbs" to easily manipulate objects.
Responsibility (Mad)- Mouthers are no longer truly sentient beings, and are twisted by madness after losing their original lives.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 11 + Powers / Defenses: 11 (47)

Gibbering Mouthers Showcase Different Abilities:
"Gibbering" Affliction 3 (Will; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception, Reaction +3) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to One Per Target Per Day) [9]
"Blinding Spittle" Dazzle Visuals 6 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range) [12]
"Blood Drain" Weaken Stamina 6 [6]
"Ground Manipulation" Environment 1 (Impede Movement) [2]
"Acidic Touch" Damage 3 (Extras: Reaction +3) Linked to Weaken Toughness 1-6 (Extras: Reaction +3, Affects Objects) [18-42]
Regeneration 2-6 [2-6]
Features: Regrows Pieces [1]
Elongation 1-3 [1-3]

-The disgusting monstrosities known as Gibbering Mouthers are thought by some to be creatures from some chaotic plane, or Alchemy gone awry. The real truth is known to wizards the world over, and much more horrifying. Mouthers are actually the results of Mages who've failed their spells and Miscast one too many times- the tremendous magical energies coursing their their bodies warping them completely. Alchemists and Teleporters are thought to be more likely to be afflicted with this condition (Red Mages are typically incinerated), though it is known to all types of Magic. Proximity to Ley Lines or other magical fonts of power increase the likelihood of transformation, though the most common cause of such a creature is a Mage simply going too far past his or her limits, or attempting a spell too far outside their typical domains, and being destroyed by the powers they've unleashed.

-Mouthers appear to be rancid, fetid piles of flesh, famously containing numberous humanlike mouths, which moan, shout, shift and bite. The soul and identity of the Mage fuels the beast, and is known to feel utter torment the entire time the creature exists, which can be an endless amount of time.

-Obviously, such results are greatly feared by Mages everywhere- most have allies specifically intended to kill them should they ever transform into a Mouther, and most any intelligent wizard intentionally holds themselves back unless their lives are in peril, for magical power can overwhelm almost anyone, given the right circumstances.

Jab's Notes: One of the things a Magic-Hater like me created for both of my settings was the idea of "Wilders"- inhuman-looking, Uncanny Valley-created monsters that were the results of Magic Gone Awry- Wizards mutiliating themselves after their search for power got out of hand. This acted as an eternal "Bogeyman" hanging over the head of any Mage, who would be terrified of breaking their limits. It justifies the use of Magical Items through which to focus power, and prevents the old "Wave Your Hand And Break Your Limits" cliches in the genre. Or rather, it ALLOWS them, but at a tremendous risk- thus acting as a character-defining moment as well- great courage or great madness are required to surpass one's limits in this way.

-And of course, when looking through the Monster Manual, I see the Gibbering Mouther, which is fairly close, though less grossly-human-but-inhuman, than what I was thinking of. So I just merged them together. I also made them a tad more variable, giving them several alternate threats.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:24 am Girallons are pulled (almost) directly from the White Apes of the John Carter of Mars books.
Oh, they have Apes in that, too? I remember seeing four-armed Lizard People in Frank Cho's art from the series, but I know nothing about it beyond the tittalicious covers the comics always have.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

yeah, I think Gygax was a big fan of the Barsoom novels
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

is there a website out there for behind the scenes D&D stuff? It's really hard to find good information about these creatures.
Jabroniville

Gargoyles

Post by Jabroniville »

"The world of Castellia. Where superstition and the sword rule. It is a world of darkness; a world of fear. It is the age... of GARGOYLES."

GARGOYLE
Creature Type: Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid
Typical Adult Height: 4'5"'-8'6"
Birth Rate: 1 egg every several years
Lifespan: 0-2 years (Baby), 2-30 years (Child), 30-100 years (Adult), 100-200 years (Elder)
Nicknames: Gargs
Sexual Dimorphism: Size, mammaries (despite lack of milk production)
Skin Tones: Any color, generally non-human
Hair: Any human color (oddly enough)
Racial Mounts & Animals: None
Racial Weapons: Claws
Religion: Protector Spirits

Allies: None official (occasional human settlements)

Encounter Groups:
Small Group (2-10, 0-1 Garg-Beasts)
Gathering (10-20, 0-5 Garg-Beasts)
Clan (10-50, 0-10 Garg-Beasts)

PL Variants:
PL 6: Common
PL 7: Elite

-The powerful creatures known as Gargoyles are known to have spread across the entire world, gathering in "Clans" based entirely around defending their "rookery" homes. Most Clans have chosen a sacred spot, and defend it nearly to the death with an almost religious fervor. Occasionally, these areas are close to, or located directly on, settlements from other sentient beings. There is often awkwardness based around this, but generally Gargoyles do not wish ill on their neighbors, preferring to either be left alone, or to defend these neighbors as allies. Truces are often uneasy- the great strength of Gargoyles, in addition to their terrible weapons and frightening appearance, often breeds distrust in weaker peoples.

-Gargoyles themselves tend to have the same capacity for good or evil as any sentient being- some allow their defensive natures to create an aura of fear around them, lashing out at attackers both real and imagined. Others are fervent defenders of those who hate and fear them.

Jab's Notes: For MONTHS I've been wondering about what I was gonna do with the pretty generic Gargoyles in the Monster Manual, and what stats to give them. Then of course all at once I was like "DUUUUUUHHHHHHHH"- I've DONE all this work already! Yup, just tossed in Disney's Gargoyles into my Fantasy setting. Saves me the work, AND is way more interesting than the "maybe creatures of stone" thing I was gonna come up with.

GENERIC GARGOYLE TEMPLATE
Played By:
Various
Role: Cool-Looking Background Characters
PL 6 (75)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 2 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Warrior) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Airborne), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Gargoyle Wings" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (Quirks: Gliders) [3]
"Defenders of the Night" Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Long Tail" Extra Limb 1 [1]

"Piercing Claws"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Responsibility (The Clan)- Clans are Serious Business to Gargoyles. Mess with one, you mess with them all.
Prejudice (Monster)- Gargoyles are very frightening to human beings.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 10 (75)

-Typical Gargoyles are flying, bipedal creatures with digitigrade legs. Wing types vary- some appear like the skin flaps of Flying Squirrels, while others are full Batlike wings- they are almost always separate from the arms. Most Gargoyles are a little larger than a typical human, while some are squat, dwarflike creatures, and others are MUCH taller than human beings usually get. Muscle mass, obesity, and typical "beauty" vary, with some being quite comely, and others sporting pronounced muzzles or animalistic faces- including Pterosaur beaks or animal heads.

-Some Gargoyles have tails instead of legs (Slithering), while others are Aquatic (Immunity- Drowning; Environmental Adaptation & Swimming instead of Flight)- these ones tend to interact with Sea Elves, Locathah or Mer-People.

GARGOYLE BEAST
Role:
Dog-Like Creature
PL 5 (61)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Trip, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Strong Legs" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Healing At Night" Regeneration 4 (Flaws: Limited to During the Stone-Sleep) [2]
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Piercing Claws & Teeth"
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Distracting) [3]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bite +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Stone By Day)- All Gargoyles (and Gargoyle Beasts) are forced into a stone "hibernation" during the day- they will become unaware of their surroundings and immobile during this time, and are incredibly vulnerable. As a bonus, they appear to be harmless stone statues (which almost never go noticed by people as odd).
Prejudice (Monster)- Gargoyles are very frightening to human beings.
Disabled (Animal)- Gargoyle Beasts cannot speak, nor use his paws to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 9 (61)

-Gargoyle Beasts are dog-like creatures found alongside Gargoyle Clans- non-sentient, they are quadrupedal and cannot fly, but are subject to the same rules that Gargoyles are.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 am is there a website out there for behind the scenes D&D stuff? It's really hard to find good information about these creatures.
Ask and you shall receive.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:11 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 am is there a website out there for behind the scenes D&D stuff? It's really hard to find good information about these creatures.
Ask and you shall receive.
OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

Sadly, a lot of it's pretty minor (the author ain't as chatty/elaborate as I am), but some of this is great stuff.

PS: Anyone ever notice how many friggin' DOGS there are in the Monster Manual? I swear there's more Magical Dogs than there are any other type of creature. You've got Winter Wolves, Worgs, Hell Hounds, Barghests, Blink Dogs, Shadow Mastiffs and probably another couple. Damn things are REALLY tired in this set.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 am PS: Anyone ever notice how many friggin' DOGS there are in the Monster Manual? I swear there's more Magical Dogs than there are any other type of creature. You've got Winter Wolves, Worgs, Hell Hounds, Barghests, Blink Dogs, Shadow Mastiffs and probably another couple. Damn things are REALLY tired in this set.
Most of them tie directly to existing mythology and fantasy, so it's easy to see how they proliferated.

The winter wolf is tied into elements of Norse mythology and folklore, plus real-world arctic wolves and the concept of the Big Bad Wolf from fairy tales given its whole use of a breath weapon.

The worgs are taken directly from the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Who took heavy inspiration from Norse mythology.

The hell hounds come from folklore. They also turn up in, wait for it, Norse mythology as servants of the goddess Hel, notably the hellhound Garmr who was in part the basis for the use of Fenrir in the film Thor: Ragnarok.

The barghests come Northern English folklore where they're described as monstrous black dogs, but the term is also used for ghosts or household elves, hence the creation of a shapeshifting goblinesque creature.

The blink dogs are the main original creation.

The shadow mastiffs are based not-so-loosely off of the various other legends of black dogs outside of the barghest, found mostly in Northern European folklore, with strong ties to Norse mythology, and having about a dozen different names. They're known by the black shuck, yeth hound, chuch grim, gytrash, padfoot, and a few other names, and they were also famously in part the basis for Sirius Black's animagus form in Harry Potter.

In general, dogs are pretty influential to human society as a whole. They're one of the first creatures we domesticated, and they remain as a common part of our society even to this day both as companions and working animals.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 am PS: Anyone ever notice how many friggin' DOGS there are in the Monster Manual? I swear there's more Magical Dogs than there are any other type of creature. You've got Winter Wolves, Worgs, Hell Hounds, Barghests, Blink Dogs, Shadow Mastiffs and probably another couple. Damn things are REALLY tired in this set.
Most of them tie directly to existing mythology and fantasy, so it's easy to see how they proliferated.

The winter wolf is tied into elements of Norse mythology and folklore, plus real-world arctic wolves and the concept of the Big Bad Wolf from fairy tales given its whole use of a breath weapon.

The worgs are taken directly from the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Who took heavy inspiration from Norse mythology.

The hell hounds come from folklore. They also turn up in, wait for it, Norse mythology as servants of the goddess Hel, notably the hellhound Garmr who was in part the basis for the use of Fenrir in the film Thor: Ragnarok.

The barghests come Northern English folklore where they're described as monstrous black dogs, but the term is also used for ghosts or household elves, hence the creation of a shapeshifting goblinesque creature.

The blink dogs are the main original creation.

The shadow mastiffs are based not-so-loosely off of the various other legends of black dogs outside of the barghest, found mostly in Northern European folklore, with strong ties to Norse mythology, and having about a dozen different names. They're known by the black shuck, yeth hound, chuch grim, gytrash, padfoot, and a few other names, and they were also famously in part the basis for Sirius Black's animagus form in Harry Potter.

In general, dogs are pretty influential to human society as a whole. They're one of the first creatures we domesticated, and they remain as a common part of our society even to this day both as companions and working animals.
Dogs and wolves are common all over the world, which makes them easy to relate and to use as a base for many tales.

Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Vampires! Girallon! Gargoyles!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh yeah, the origins of the creatures are clear in some cases (though I was surprised at the Barghests, since I thought the Shadow Mastiffs were the most clear "Black Dog" analogy)- I'm just shocked they included ALL of them in the Monster Manual. It's like the four "Ethereal Ghosts" they use- the redundancy is weird.