Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Havok! Legion of Super-Heroes! Chameleon Boy!)

Post by Jabroniville »

OMG, this bit on Glen Keane's stuff being at the Disney Museum! Totally wish I could go there! So many cool tidbits of information in this (I actually didn't make the Bil/Glen Keane connection; and the reasoning behind the Beast's appearance is fantastic): http://micechat.com/189288-walt-disney- ... len-keane/
a buffalo head because there is a sadness to the way they look, the crest of a gorilla because their brows express so much emotion, the muzzle of a boar, the mane of a lion so he is soft if Belle hugs him, twisted horns, cow ears to make him seem friendlier, and human eyes since there is a prince trapped inside of Beast and his eyes are the window to his soul.
This is why some are masters, and some are dabblers, folks.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:57 am The moon's mass is 7.35 x 10^22 kg, which is very roughly 81,000,000,000,000,000,000 US tons... and Earth's moon is on the small side as celestial bodies go. Probably easiest just to hand-wave planet-moving shenanigans as a Plot Device and leave it be.
Plus, I mean, it's in SPACE! There's no gravity in space, so they probably weight less, right? PHYSICS!!!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The fear instilled in him by Cruella de Vil gave him a reason to believe that she was real; he emphasized that a child only needs a little reason to believe and they will be hooked.
The class Disney films — live action and animated —are masters at getting this sort of “buy in” from the audience. We want to suspend our disbelief and escape into their world, we just need a little help from the filmmaker to do so. Almost all Disney films give us just enough of a sense of normalcy before they spring the fantastic on us, we don’t start out in Wonderland... We’re in a pleasant meadow being bored by our big sister, then we spot a rabbit in a waistcoat, and then we’re down the rabbit hole.

Too many bad films and stories forget this. They rush into getting us into the “good stuff” that they neglect the set-up. Compare and contrast the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory with the abysmal Johnny Depp Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The newer film neglects to establish the normalcy and rushed into the fantastic. We don’t suspend our disbelief.

There’s a lesson to be learned here for Game Masters, I think.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:57 am The moon's mass is 7.35 x 10^22 kg, which is very roughly 81,000,000,000,000,000,000 US tons... and Earth's moon is on the small side as celestial bodies go. Probably easiest just to hand-wave planet-moving shenanigans as a Plot Device and leave it be.
Plus, I mean, it's in SPACE! There's no gravity in space, so they probably weight less, right? PHYSICS!!!
That’s why explosions in space operas are so loud. No pesky atmosphere to get in the way of the sound waves!
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 am
That’s why explosions in space operas are so loud. No pesky atmosphere to get in the way of the sound waves!
Honestly, you'd only really need 83 lifting strength, which would give you around 1 x 10^23 tons, around sixteen times the mass of the Earth, to move basically any solid celestial object. Beyond that you'd be dealing with objects that would not be counted as solid in any real way, such as gas giants and stars. A considerable portion of that could be in an array keyed off of strength damage.

The exponential progression's really useful sometimes.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Well when you look at the physics of it......WTF... Batgirl's back?
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Hey, Batgirl III is back! Welcome back!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

You’re forgetting about extrasolar planets, several of which are thought to be terrestrial (a.k.a., solid rock) and are several times the mass of the Earth. Of course, even if those real world exoplanets turn out to be gaseous, in the universes of comic books there most definitely are solid objects bigger than the Earth... or even the Sun.
Ken

Re: Superboy

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:34 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:05 pm SUPERBOY (Clark Kent, aka Kal-El) J
PL 15 (335)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

"More Powerful Than a Speeding Locomotive" Power-Lifting 7 (500,000 tons) [7]

"Heat Beam" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (45) -- [50]
  • AE: "Heat Vision" Blast 16 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (34)
  • AE: "Freeze Breath" Affliction 14 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (42)
  • AE: "Freeze Cone" Affliction 14 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Extra Condition) (42)
  • AE: "Ground Pound" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) (28)
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) Linked to Move Object 11 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (36)
"Faster Than a Speeding Bullet"
Flight 18 (500,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (37) -- [41]
  • Dynamic AE: Quickness 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: Speed 15 (64,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (16)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
One might also add AE: "Planetoid-lifting Strength": Power Lifting 45 (45)

That way one, with Extra-Effort, could get into Moon-sized lifting. I'd suggest power stunting off of his Sensory powers when he has to drag several planets around.
81,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons comes in at a STR 72.

A base lifting STR of 25 plus the 45 power lifting I suggested would be a total of 70. That makes it close enough that Extra Effort.

I said one might add. Not should.

There's nothing wrong with hand waving it. But since Jab's build was left the points so that they were that close, I thought it deserved a mention.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Ferro Lad

Post by Jabroniville »

FERRO LAD (Andrew Nolan, aka Ferro)
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #346 (July 1966)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Mutation
Eras: Original & Reboot
Relationships: None
Role: Sacrificial Buddy, Powerhouse, Ugly Hero
PL 10 (124)
STRENGTH
2/11 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Iron Body" (Action -1) [-1]
Enhanced Strength 9 [18]
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 15) [23]
Features 2: Increased Mass 2 [2]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Iron Body +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5 (+13 Iron Form, +8 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Shame (Deformity)- Andrew Nolan always wears a mask, to hide his facial deformity.
Relationship (Douglas Nolan)- Andrew has a twin brother with the same abilities and deformity.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 11 (124)

Ferro Lad- The Legion's Sacrifice:
-Ferro Lad is one of those little hints that the Legion series, in spite of it's goofiness, was a little more serious than many other books at the time. Where else could a team book actually have a character DIE in one of his first missions? This was pretty much brand new stuff for comics at the time (I mean, a SUPER-HERO... DYING?), and was done very well, showing Ferro Lad knock out Superboy himself and fly a bomb into the heart of a Sun-Eater, sacrificing his life to save the entire universe. This gave the goofy-named kid in the terrible costume (I mean... "Fe" on the front? At least the Metal Men had COOL symbols to use) a lifelong credibility he would never have gained otherwise, and he became a Legion legend for it. And he coulda been black, but Mort Weisinger (who I would bet money is a racist) forced Shooter to change it, saying "We'd lose our distribution in the South." Ah, THE SOUTH. And because Shooter couldn't do what he wanted with the guy, he chose him for his "Someone should die in this story" situation.

-Ferro Lad thus stuck out as a great sacrifice and a true hero- his fellow recruits were Princess Projectra, Karate Kid & Nemesis Kid- the latter of which turned out to be evil. It was very soon into his run that he died, and he would be referred to a great deal afterwards. He was "brought back" in a manner of speaking near the end of the first continuity as one of the "SW6" clones. Since the clone was created very shortly before Ferro Lad's death, this was in essence a resurrection of the same character (now called "Ferro"), but the book ended not to long afterwards.

Reboot:
-The Post-Zero Hour team featured a "Dorky Younger Guy" type Ferro, which I thought was a rather brilliant move. His death was a legendary moment in LOSH history, but if you've got an all-new continuity to play with, why NOT break out one of the old toys that went un-used? I mean, you're not gonna replicate the exact same story anyways, right? And that he was mostly known for DYING means you can constantly have his death hanging over the book. And it's kinda neat to give people a look at a guy who never really got his chance to be a regular character.

-In this version, Ferro was the son of a 20th Century actress who'd abandoned her children for their grotesque facial deformities. An unscrupulous scientist raised them, but Andrew left for the Legion (who were in the past at the time), becoming one of their early members. He befriended Karate Kid and was fused to his helmet for a while. He did not appear in the Threeboot continuity, nor did he return for the revival of the Silver Age group (since he was, rather famously, dead in that version).

Stats:
-Ferro Lad's a decent little character, but lacks both raw power and accuracy, and is so a PL 9 on offense, PL 10 on defense. He was always one of the weaker Legionnaires when he was kicking around, and only KOed a weakened Superboy once. He's still very strong and quite hard to hurt, but he's not scaring any serious villains. this build probably better reflects the Reboot version, since the original one died fairly soon into his run.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 24, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Re: Superboy

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:05 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:34 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:05 pm SUPERBOY (Clark Kent, aka Kal-El) J
PL 15 (335)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

"More Powerful Than a Speeding Locomotive" Power-Lifting 7 (500,000 tons) [7]

"Heat Beam" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (45) -- [50]
  • AE: "Heat Vision" Blast 16 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (34)
  • AE: "Freeze Breath" Affliction 14 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (42)
  • AE: "Freeze Cone" Affliction 14 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Extra Condition) (42)
  • AE: "Ground Pound" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) (28)
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) Linked to Move Object 11 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (36)
"Faster Than a Speeding Bullet"
Flight 18 (500,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (37) -- [41]
  • Dynamic AE: Quickness 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: Speed 15 (64,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (16)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
One might also add AE: "Planetoid-lifting Strength": Power Lifting 45 (45)

That way one, with Extra-Effort, could get into Moon-sized lifting. I'd suggest power stunting off of his Sensory powers when he has to drag several planets around.
81,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons comes in at a STR 72.

A base lifting STR of 25 plus the 45 power lifting I suggested would be a total of 70. That makes it close enough that Extra Effort.

I said one might add. Not should.

There's nothing wrong with hand waving it. But since Jab's build was left the points so that they were that close, I thought it deserved a mention.
I love the math and seeing the Strength needed level 72!

Was Mon-El said to be as strong as Superboy, Supergirl or Superman? Did Mon-El ever do those planet-moving feats? What about Supergirl?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Mon El never did that I recall though he was pretty well up there as a Daxamite

Also the superboy above is sitting at a solid 43 strength wise if you count his Flight as additional strength since hes adding the flight as thrust and momentum which is allowable under the rules in space.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:23 pm You’re forgetting about extrasolar planets, several of which are thought to be terrestrial (a.k.a., solid rock) and are several times the mass of the Earth. Of course, even if those real world exoplanets turn out to be gaseous, in the universes of comic books there most definitely are solid objects bigger than the Earth... or even the Sun.
I already accounted for that. The largest rocky exoplanet I could find on a quick Google is around fourteen times the mass of the Earth. I accounted for that with the given rank of 83, given that the Earth would have a mass of rank 78-79, since that covers the largest known exoplanets.

Of course, if you wanted to make it really fun and ridiculous, you could figure out for instance the volume of the known universe, and the density of the heaviest known substance, to figure out how much strength someone like Superman would need to lift a universe-sized object made of the stuff. We know that osmium for instance, the densest metal, comes in at 22.5 tons per cubic metre. We also know that the observable universe has a volume of 3.58x10^80 cubic metres.

Running the numbers, that gives us approximately 8.055x10^81 metric tons. We can figure that out pretty easily. With an approximate STR 269, you could lift an object of 1.25x10^82 metric tons, which is more than enough to cover basically any object in comic-books. Certainly it would cover all mass in the known universe many, many times over.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Well we know he has a key made of solid Dwarf star alloy that weights several millions of tons for the Fortress main gates.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

So... what’s Kismet’s Strength bonus / Grapple check? I want to build a Superman that can suplex the universe!