Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Invisible Kid (Norg)

Post by Jabroniville »

INVISIBLE KID I (Lyle Norg)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: Action Comics #267 (Aug. 1960)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Ingested a Serum of his Own Creation
Eras: All Three
Relationships: Ghostly Alien Chick (original), Chemical King (Reboot), Gazelle (Threeboot)
Role: Sacrificial Buddy, Heart-Ring-Power Guy
PL 8 (149)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+11)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+13) -- (Flaws: Limited to Chemistry)
Expertise (Espionage) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Space Hero) 3 (+9)
Insight 5 (+8)
Investigation 6 (+9)
Perception 6 (+9)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 6 (+12)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Great Endurance, Fearless, Inventor, Leadership, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Ingested Invisibility Serum"
Concealment 6 (All Visual Senses, Hearing & Mental Detection) [12]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Rivalry (Brainiac-5)- In the Reboot continuity, they are scientific rivals. Lyle is more creative and inspiration-based, while Querl is more intelligent overall.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 17 (149)

Silver Age Invisible Kid:
-Among the Legionnaires, Invisible Kid I's had some of the biggest changes from version to version. Initially, he was among the more useless guys on the '60s team in terms of powers, which of course meant that he saved the day 7 out of 10 times using some variant on being invisible to save the day. And yes, he pre-dates Sue Storm by a fair bit of time as far as Silver Age Useless Invisible People go (and there was a Golden Ager or two as well). He used his "weakness" as an excuse to work out lots and get into super-good shape, and do lots of neat heroic stuff the powerful guys never seemed to get around to doing, and ended up leader for a short while, before ultimately being the second Legionnaire killed in duty- he was slain in battle with Validus in a 1974 comic. Then the "SW6" temporal clones came around, and so both he & Ferro Lad returned in a bit of nostalgia- Lyle became the leader of this "Offshoot Legion". In the meantime, a black Frenchman Invisible Kid had joined the team. Alas, Lyle's Serum could only be used on himself (and later, Jacques Foccart), so the other Legionnaires couldn't just drink the stuff, too. I'd think an entire team of guys with invisibility would be pretty kick-ass. Probably boring to read about, though.

Reboot Lyle:
-The Rebooted continuity saw a grimmer, spy-worthy Lyle, also a big-time inventor and rival of Brainiac-5 (in the prior continuity, the two were friends). Apparently he was gay there, via Word of God (not real in-story stuff). Threeboot Invisible Kid has shown up as well, but this time he's really just one of the pack, not really standing out too much. Then the Original group returned, so he was dead again.

Stats:
-With Concealment being one of the lowest-cost awesome powers in the game (it can be HUGELY advantageous to a higher-powered guy- which is why it's not so bad for someone like Lyle), and Super-Science being cheaper to come by these days, Lyle comes up as pretty cheap for a Skillmonkey, though he's much more expensive than most PL 8s. I'd recommend most GMs give the "Batman Guy" on a team a points-break for going a PL lower, in fact. This build kind of gives him the full Post-Zero Hour Reboot effect with all his science skills, otherwise he's a MUCH cheaper character in the other two continuities.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 24, 2022 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dream Girl! Star Boy! Colossal Boy! Mon-El! Shadow Lass!)

Post by catsi563 »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:02 am
Ares wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 pm Also you can't forget that any woman with skin colour outside the human norm in a science fiction or fantasy setting is bound by the genre itself to show as much of that skin as possible. See also: Starfire, Gamora, basically any Twi'lek in Star Wars, basically any Orion in Star Trek, and every single female character in the John Carter of Mars series.
Oddly enough, the first major Twi'lek character to get a recurring role in an on-screen Star Wars series was Hera from Star Wars: Rebels, and her outfit was a flightsuit that basically only ever left her face and her lekku / head tails exposed. Compared to the others on your list, she was positively puritanical.
I was LOOKING for a place to gush about that character...

But yeah, despite wearing standard-issue, body-covering pilot gear, I found Hera to be BY FAR the most attractive Twi'Lek in Star Wars. I dunno- a combination of that face (REALLY nice cgi model) with that stoic, serious-but-kind personality... girl was hotter than a hundred sexy Jabba Dancers. Hell, I liked her more than any of the generic cute girls they cast as SW heroines these days.
Ill go with that alright especially since I ADORe Vette the twilek companion from SWTOR who snarks off to the Warrior and others throughout the story and takes no guff from anyone and is cut as all get out on top of everything else
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Re: Invisible Kid (Norg)

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 am-The Rebooted continuity saw a grimmer, spy-worthy Lyle, also a big-time inventor and rival of Brainiac-5 (in the prior continuity, the two were friends). Apparently he was gay there, via Word of God (not real in-story stuff).
That element was also present in retellings of his and Chemical King's stories in the late 80s. It was implicit, not explicit, obviously. (I'm not by any means a Legion expert but I did follow the series for a time.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Star Boy! Colossal Boy! Mon-El! Shadow Lass! Tyroc!)

Post by Ares »

What kind of sucked about Invisible Kid was that his power was usually just vanilla invisibility (ie, can't be seen in the visible spectra of light), when even today we have a lot of ways that would render that much less useful (thermal sensors, motion detectors, etc.). In the future, you'd almost expect them to have sensors that would make invisibility almost trivial to overcome. Heck, even in comics set in the modern era, skintight suits that make you invisible aren't uncommon. He really needed some kind of upgrade that made him invisible across a wide range of detection, and then be enough of a spymaster that he could bypass the rest.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I'd recommend most GMs give the "Batman Guy" on a team a points-break for going a PL lower, in fact.
I have had a lot of success in running mixed groups where Player Characters were built at PL8/180PP, PL10/150PP, or PL12/120PP.

This gives you a mix of super-super skilled but nominally Street Level guys, standard superhero Avengers Level guys, and even the phenomenally powered but still untrained guys.

(As always, the GM should keep an eye out for any over-the-top min/max shenanigans and have a conversation with the players about the tone and style of game.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:33 pm I have had a lot of success in running mixed groups where Player Characters were built at PL8/180PP, PL10/150PP, or PL12/120PP.

This gives you a mix of super-super skilled but nominally Street Level guys, standard superhero Avengers Level guys, and even the phenomenally powered but still untrained guys.

(As always, the GM should keep an eye out for any over-the-top min/max shenanigans and have a conversation with the players about the tone and style of game.)
That's interesting to hear. When I last ran M&M, I thought about doing that, but I didn't have the courage to do so. Glad to hear it can work, though it still seems like you'd need a real balance of combat/non-combat to keep the PL 12 from running away with the fight scenes.

Fortunately/unfortunately for me (not sure which yet), the next supers game I run will likely be Champions rather than M&M.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It’s not something I would recommend universally; I’ve had a lot of experience GMing M&M and my player group (at the time) was well-known to me. I knew their quirks and preferences, they knew mine, and we spent the first session talking about what we wanted the campaign themes and tone to be.

It was unbalanced during combat scenes – the Batman-type heroes (PL8/180PP) were outclassed by the Rookie Superman-types (PL12/120PP) when squaring off with the heavyweight Supervillains. But the reverse was true during “skill challenges” and I always tried to include an equal mix of both.

I care more about balancing the story elements – giving each member of the ensemble some time to shine – than a pure mechanical balance. It’s actually a trick I learned from watching Star Trek. Captain Picard and Transporter Chief O’Brien are absolutely not “balanced” in terms of “power,” but Colm Meany still got some great episodes focused on him.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:33 pm
I'd recommend most GMs give the "Batman Guy" on a team a points-break for going a PL lower, in fact.
I have had a lot of success in running mixed groups where Player Characters were built at PL8/180PP, PL10/150PP, or PL12/120PP.

I tried something similar a long time ago, but my PL range was 7-9 and it worked decently.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Invisible Kid (Norg)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 am Image
I do like that the jacket's design and coloring is a clear nod to his classic costume. Invisible Kid's costumes seem to suffer more from being bland than they are strictly bad, though his original outfit wasn't good by any means. While Spidey proved an all black look with some white contrasts can work really well, a big "i" and a headband aren't quite as cool as a big spider and a full face mask. He and Brainiac 5 could likely benefit from a costume that did more closely resemble jumpsuits than spandex, the way their classic outfits kind of did.

As a spymaster type, it might actually be kind of interesting if he's got some special clothes he's treated with his invisibility formula that he can easily turn selectively invisible, maybe with it being multi-layered so that by making all but one layer invisible, it resembles a completely different outfit.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Invisible Kid (Foccart)

Post by Jabroniville »

INVISIBLE KID II (Jacques Foccart)
Created By:
Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen
First Appearance: The Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #1 (1982)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Ingested Lyle Norg's Serum
Eras: Original & Reboot (minor character)
Relationships: Infectious Lass
Role: World Leader, Heart-Ring-Power Guy
PL 8 (155)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 5 (+9)
Expertise (Politics) 9 (+11)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+8)
Vehicles 2 (+6)
Insight 5 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Leadership, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Ingested Invisibility Serum"
Concealment 6 (All Visual Senses, Hearing & Mental Detection) [12]

"Uncontrolled Mutations of Power"
Teleport 7 (Extras: Extended) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) Linked to Teleport 7 (Extras: Extended, Attack +0) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (28) -- [29]
AE: Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) Linked to Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (Extras: Attack +0) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) (2)

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Teleport Attack +9 (+7 Movement Attack, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications: 
Relationship (Infectious Lass)- Jacques has proved his bravery time and again- never moreso than when he married a woman whose specialty is CARRYING INFECTIOUS DISEASES.
Relationship (Danielle Foccart)- Jacques' desperate attempts to cure his sister led to the resurrection of Computo and his sister nearly dying.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 15 (155)

-The second Invisible Kid debuted on the original Legion team eight years after the first died, in a very neat story that took place over an entire Annual, and had Computo control Jacques' comatose sister into nearly wiping out the entire Legion. He's a French-speaking guy from the former Ivory Coast of Africa (Cote d'Ivoire), and he took the original Kid's formula to help out his sister, then got asked to join the team as their token black guy (Levitz HATED the previous one- Tyroc). He kind of putzed around, being known as "That black guy with the skunk stripe in his hair" (given when he first gazed upon Darkseid and was terrified), but ended up a freedom-fighter resistance leader in the "Five Years Later" era. Here, he was also married to Infectious Lass of the Legion of Substitute Heroes. And hell, you want bravery? Screw all the risk-taking all the OTHER Legionnaires go on- would YOU have regular sex with a woman named INFECTIOUS LASS?

-This run as a popular freedom fighter led to him becoming President of Earth, with Tyroc being his Vice-President. However, Earth was soon destroyed (in a disaster reminiscent of the death of Krypton), and he resigned in order to rejoin the Legion.

-In the Reboot Era, Jacques was reimagined as a childhood friend of Lyle Norg's, and had been forced to injest the Invisibility Serum, which rendered him undetectable by any means. This allowed him to work for EarthGov's Intelligence division. He did not appear in "Threeboot", but the Post-Infinite Crisis run featured him as a backgrounder, having erased the "Five Years Later" era from continuity.

-Invisible Kid II loses most of the first's skills, but gains a brief Teleporting power for a while. However, it was uncontrollable, and they quickly removed it, making him a fairly weak character for the majority of his career. Not a bad guy to have in a fight, especially for a smart player, but one of the weakest Legionnaires, and much less useful than Lyle Norg ended up being most of the time. He's frankly just better in non-combat roles.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 24, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Dream Girl! Star Boy! Colossal Boy! Mon-El! Shadow Lass!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 am Regarding Tyroc, as a little experiment I wanted to see if I could make his outfit look semi-decent with the least amount of changes, using the animated Legion pic of him as a guide.

I think it looks alright. Not great, but it'd fit in with the rest of the Reboot-Legion. I think if I could somehow make those discs on his chest have a more Kirby-esque look, it'd be better.

As for Tyroc himself, Sonic Powers with a lot of alternate effects are actually pretty cool, though rather than the stupid specific sound bit, just make hima more generic sonic expert.

His origin though . . . . see, THAT'S the kind of stuff that warrants legitimate outrage, because that was just horrible and offensive. Poor Tyroc is a guy in desperate need of a do-over.
Why not turn the disk's into mini-speakers?The way,he'd not only be able to keep PL 10 on both offense and defense,but look better in the bargain(a well drawn speaker system can do wonders for an image)....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Here, he was also married to Infectious Lass of the Legion of Substitute Heroes. And hell, you want bravery? Screw all the risk-taking all the OTHER Legionnaires go on- would YOU have regular sex with a woman named INFECTIOUS LASS?
What happens during Fleet Week in San Francisco stays in San Francisco.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

One thing I find interesting about the Legion is that even for today, it's got a huge proportion of female superhero characters. And most of them debuted in the *1960s*! Except, of course, most of them have soft, feminine, "Noncombatant" powers- Insubstantial, Precognition, Shadows, Telepathy, Duplication, etc. Hell, even Lightning Lass drops her dangerous superpower for a Noncombatant one.
Jabroniville

Computo (Foccart)

Post by Jabroniville »

COMPUTO II (Danielle Foccart)
Created By:
Various
Role: Minor-League Superhero
PL 8 (102)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 1 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)
Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Affliction 9 (Tech Skill of Creator; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Cumulative, Perception Range +2) (Flaws: Limited to Computers) (28) -- [29]
  • AE: "Computer Interface" Communication 3 (Computers) (12)
Equipment:
"Legion Gear"

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 11 (102)

-The Invisible Kid's little sister, Danielle joined the "SW6" Legion clones. Brainiac-5 was trying to cure her of a serious medical condition, and decided to just rivet a piece of an insane, monstrous Computo onto her... because what's the worst that could happen? This turned into a HUGE Annual-long story featuring the Legion fighting their own base, which was now fighting against them. Eventually, she was cured, and in the "Five Years Later" era became a Legacy Character, taking Computo's name and gaining powers as a result of Computo's possession of her. However, just as she came into her own as a Deputy Leader, she was turned into a nothing background character after the Reboot.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue May 24, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I think both her costume and powers were rather intresting.,i mean,think about it:If Danielle could turn the LOSH base against the entire team,think what else technological she could take over(Battlesuit,Gadgeteer and Android/Mechanical Construct heros would utterly fear her as a Villian and vis-versa.The look on Dr.Doom/Mr.Fantastic/Iron Man's face when it happens .....).I liked how her costume was a nice even color for most of it with just enough personal touches to make it stand out.

As an aside: I would've loved a love triangle between Computo 2,Dream Girl and Brainiac 5...... :D