Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shadow Lass! Tyroc! Invisible Kids! Ultra Boy!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:11 pm Can you bring up the yellow stripe past the belt, ending in the sun?
Maybe it could be designed to have the sun poking out from the stripe, as if it was rising.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:37 pm I like that take, only thing id do differently is either make the boots red, or part of the outfit and continue the stripe down beyond that though solid work
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:11 pm Can you bring up the yellow stripe past the belt, ending in the sun?
Sure thing.

I'd probably stick with the first one (I think the overall look and color balance works better), but neither of these are bad.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Shrinking Violet

Post by Jabroniville »

And she's supposed to be the SHY ONE!!!

SHRINKING VIOLET (Salu Digby, aka LeViathan, Virus, Atom Girl)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #276 (May 1961)
Home Planet: Imsk
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Eras: All Three
Relationships: Duplicate Boy (original), Sun Boy & Lightning Lass, Colossal Boy (crush, Post-Zero Hour)
Role: Shy Girl, Aggressive Girl
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Imskian Soldier) 4 (+5)
Perception 6 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+4)
Insight 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5, +25 Size)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Close Attack 4, Defensive Attack, Daze (Deception), Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Elusive Target, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Imskian Physiology"
Shrinking 20 (Feats: Atomic) [41]
(Strength -5, -2 Speed, +10 Defenses, +20 Stealth, -10 Intimidation)

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Small Size +12 (-4 Size, DC 11)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6
"Small Size" Dodge +18 (DC 28), Parry +18 (DC 28), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Shy)- True to her name, Vi is underconfident and shy.
Relationship (Various)- Dynamo Boy seems to be the most-recurring, but Sun Boy & Lightning Lass were close with her as well. In Reboot, she liked Colossal Boy.
Rivalry (Yera Allon)- Violet was unimpressed when Yera took her place for years.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 12 (140)

Silver Age Violet:
-Shrinking Violet's long been one of the more useless members of the Legion on the battlefield; especially in early continuity, when she was a mousy girl with no confidence, whose sole purpose in battle was to either distract people, or walk through force fields or bars and shut down machines. Later stories increased her usefulness considerably, often giving her semi-elite martial arts prowess, military training, and more- to the point where she gained the Emerald Eye of Ekron and became a major villainess (in the Reboot era), replaced crush Colossal Boy on his death and gaining his growing powers, as well as gaining some nasty "explode from the guy's body" powers as Atom Girl in the controversial Threeboot continuity. Even so, she's always been a minor Legionnaire.

-Violet joined the Legion alongside Sun Boy & Bouncing Boy, having applied earlier on but not quite making the cut. As shy as her namesake, she nonetheless proved her bravery, and began dating Duplicate Boy. After a point, she was kidnapped by Imsk-native radicals, and replaced with a Durlan named Yera, who kept up the facade and married Colossal Boy, who'd had a crush on Violet for years. Violet eventually returned, nursing a grudge against Yera (who had been duped into taking Vi's role), and becoming a much more serious combatant- the best female Legionnaire in hand-to-hand except for Dream Girl. She dumped Duplicate Boy for not attempting to rescue her after discovering Yera's duplicity, and briefly dated Sun Boy. It was implied in the "Five Years Later" era that she had possibly dated Lightning Lass as well! During a war between Imsk & Braal, she faced teammate Cosmic Boy (a Braalian) on the battlefield, but defended him from her allies- in his injured state, he lashed out and cost her an eye. She had it replaced, but kept the scar as a reminder.

-During this time, she got an "SW6" Clone, but this Violet didn't take up a new name, unlike many other Legionnaires (Inferno, etc.). In the Post-Infinite Crisis era, she retained her dislike of Yera (they had reconciled in the "Five Years Later" run), and her relationship with Lightning Lass was made canon, and they were a lesbian couple.

Violet's Powers:
-Shrinking Violet comes up as one of the cheapest Legionnaires possible, thanks to having a key weakness: she does NOT have the Normal Strength, Toughness & Movement that most "Shrinking Guys" (Atom, Ant-Man) have, and so is ultimately very weak & vulnerable, with a very cheap base power. Even amping her up to be a defensive GODDESS (just TRY hitting her in her smallest form- I dare you- with all those defensive Advantages- that's gotta be the biggest disparity between toughness and defensiveness ever), she barely makes PL 8. But this kinda befits her role on the Legion, where she's never a front-liner, and more often a spy & saboteur, sneaking behind enemy lines and messing with their devices and stuff. Annoyingly, she's one of the characters to get the MOST changes from place-to-place, meaning her stats can be hard to nail down- most examples of Violet drop the Close Attack 4 and make her a pretty weak fighter.

AND YOU WONDER WHY I LIKE GIANTESS STUFF?!?!!?

LeVIATHAN (Salu Digby, aka LeViathan, Virus, Atom Girl)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #276 (May 1961)
Home Planet: Imsk
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities, Emerald Eye or Ekron
Eras: All Three
Relationships: Duplicate Boy (original), Sun Boy & Lightning Lass, Colossal Boy (crush, Post-Zero Hour)
Role: Shy Girl, Aggressive Girl
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
1/12 STAMINA 2/13 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Imskian Soldier) 4 (+5)
Perception 6 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+4)
Insight 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5, +25 Size)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Daze (Deception), Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Elusive Target, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Imskian Physiology"
Shrinking (41) -- [42]
  • AE: Growth (36)
"Shrinking"
Shrinking 20 (Feats: Atomic) (41)
(Strength -5, -2 Speed, +10 Defenses, +20 Stealth, -10 Intimidation)

"Growth"
Growth 11 (Str & Sta +11, +11 Mass, +5 Intimidation, -5 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -11 Stealth) -- (42 feet) (22)
Growth +4 (+16 Mass, +8 Intimidation, +2 Speed, -16 Stealth) -- (96 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Boosts) (4)
"Giant Fists & Feet" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to When At Largest Size) (10)

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Small Size +8 (-4 Size, DC 11)
Full Size +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Giant Fists & Feet +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6
"Small Size" Dodge +18 (DC 28), Parry +18 (DC 28), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6
"Giant Size" Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +13, Fortitude +15, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Shy)- True to her name, Vi is underconfident and shy.
Relationship (Various)- Dynamo Boy seems to be the most-recurring, but Sun Boy & Lightning Lass were close with her as well. In Reboot, she liked Colossal Boy.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 12 (140)

Reboot Violet:
-Shrinking Violet joined the "Reboot" Legion as well, maintaining her old personality, but befriending the outgoing Kinetix. However, she soon got seduced by The Emerald Eye of Ekron and had her Dark Phoenix moment, after it gave her the confidence to become team leader. However, when she started granting the team their fondest wishes, the Eye arranged for Leviathan to have the "Heroic Death" he so desired- and a heartbroken Violet (who had a crush on him) forced the rest of the team to scour the universe searching for the means to resurrect him. Eventually, the power got too out of control, and the Eye took control of her. Once the day was saved, Violet discovered she had Leviathan's powers as well- she soon adopted the weird name LeViathan.

-In the "Threeboot" continuity, she is known as Atom Girl, and is a myth to all but the founding Legionnaires.

-As LeViathan, Violet only goes up one point in Powers, but as it's her Zero Hour self, loses a lot of fighting ability. Much more versatile, though, fitting in as a secondary Powerhouse.

-Her Atom Girl Threeboot variation included an Internal Attack (Damage 10- Penetrating), but she has to actually jump INSIDE the person first to make it work.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, jesus, I swear the Legion are drawing 5x the comments of ANY other set I've done since we've started Echoes! Looks like a perfect conflagration of timing, interest and nostalgia (since the characters are all but dead).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Say what you will about hot-headed Human Torches, cold hearted Killer Frosts, and so forth, but no one in comics has the personality-matches-powers trope locked down like Shrinking Violet.

I’d be shocked to learn that she wasn’t created name first, Powers next.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Invisible Kids! Ultra Boy! Sun Boy! Shrinking Violet!)

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm haha, jesus, I swear the Legion are drawing 5x the comments of ANY other set I've done since we've started Echoes! Looks like a perfect conflagration of timing, interest and nostalgia (since the characters are all but dead).
When they've been out of print or unreferenced as long as Captain Triumph, we can talk about them being dead.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm Image
I like the stripe, but, yeah, doesn’t seem quite “there” yet. Maybe bare arms and all-red gloves (or no gloves)?

Sun Boy’s always been a bit of a ladies man, maybe he could offer the ladies of the 30th Century a tour of the gun show?
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm haha, jesus, I swear the Legion are drawing 5x the comments of ANY other set I've done since we've started Echoes! Looks like a perfect conflagration of timing, interest and nostalgia (since the characters are all but dead).
I haven't piped in much myself because I've been having a busy week, but I think it makes sense. The Legion has always had a vocal (if tiny) fandom, and they're such a well-put together team of also-rans, never-weres, and total badasses. Plus all the various versions of them provide springboards for other topics.

It's difficult to tell with the all caps most comics use, but I think the "LeVIathan" thing was only used once or twice, most prominently when she took the name, just to emphasize the two letters she was keeping from "Shrinking Violet." I think she was just Leviathan after that. Otherwise, that would just be silly.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Heh, I'm already de-railing Jab's thread enough as is. I'll probably start posting up the Legion edits over the weekend at my Ares Edits thread, where I've got a lot of my stuff already. That way I'm not taking up anymore page time from Jab's Legion builds.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I keep thinking about how I'd handle some of the Legionnaires if I was writing a revived title, especially as it comes to a few of the members with redundant or seemingly superfluous abilities.

Blok: Aside from super-strength and durability, have him be more of an energy-reflector, which was the big guy's original power set (that got forgotten about).

Bouncing Boy: Have him absorb kinetic energy, gaining speed and toughness as he ricochets across surfaces.

Chameleon Boy: Go back to his original power-set, where his antenna would scan and record objects and living beings, allowing him to shape-shift into them, but with more limitations than in the modern era-set limits on Cham's ability to grow/shrink (nothing approaching Colossal Boy or Shrinking Violet's limits), no becoming intangible (though Reep would be allowed to assume a semi-liquid or particulate matter state, giving him the Permeate trait), no stretching, composite shapes, etc.; make it clear Chameleon is actually pretty exceptional in his ability to gain AND reduce his mass and dimensions, take on more esoteric forms, etc.-most Durlans would simply have the Morph (any object) power, though a few would specialize-Yera being able to duplicate Shrinking to a greater extent than others of her race, for example. I generally like the idea that even LSHers with strandard racial abilities should be exceptional in some ways, through training or natural aptitudes.

Invisible Kid: Just go with later-day depictions and have him be invisible to the whole EM spectrum, even radar and motion sensors.

Mon-El (and Daxamites in general): Do some hand-waving with already established "facts" about Daxamites-they absorb solar energy faster than Kryptonians (gaining powers even faster under a yellow sun), but play up that their "faster metabolisms" also exhaust their reserves much more quickly when deprived of direct exposure to yellow sunlight (normal Daxamites would start to weaken at night in a planetary atmosphere,and can even "use up" their powers by going all out in combat for too long). The serum which keeps Mon-El from the effects of lead poisoning would also reduce his overall power level, but let him retain his abilities longer than others of his race, not even losing them immediately under a red sun. Mon-El would be somewhat below Ultra Boy but able to use multiple powers at once, of course.

Shadow Lass and Sun Boy: In both cases, emphasize their respective abilities to neutralize or project/absorb electromagnetic radiation. Or go with what a few writers did with Tasmia and emphasize mystical elements-letting her create fields which cause others to feel isolated and frightened.

Tyroc: Make use of his sonic abilities to pull off semi-Flash type stunts, using vibration to render OTHER objects intangible, deflect attacks, inducing heat (by agitating molecules), creating pockets of vacuum by displacing air. And OBVIOUSLY a whole new background, cause the old one is god-awful, period the end.

Essentially, toning down Mon-El and using Superboy/Girl as little as possible would give many of the other members a chance to shine, justifying giving them more options for their powers.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Chemical King

Post by Jabroniville »

CHEMICAL KING (Condo Arlik)
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #371 (Aug. 1968)
Home Planet: Pthlon
Origin of Powers: Mutant
Eras: Original & Reboot (as a reporter)
Relationships: None (possibly The Invisible Kid)
Role: Sacrificial Buddy
PL 7 (92)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (History) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+9)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Chemical Reactions) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up

Powers:
"Speed Up & Slow Down Chemical Reactions"
"Oxidization" Blast 6 (Extras: Perception Range) (18) -- [21]
  • AE: "Rust & Rot" Blast 6 (Flaws: Limited to Rust or Rot-Vulnerable Objects Only -2) Linked to Weaken Toughness 6 (Extras: Ranged, Secondary Effect) (Flaws: Limited to Rust or Rot-Vulnerable Objects Only -2) (9)
  • AE: Nullify Energy-Based Powers 8 (Extras: Broad- Energy) (16)
  • AE: "Human Body Chemicals" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Flaws: Distracting) (16)
Equipment:
"Legion Gear"

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Ignite By Oxidation -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Rust & Rot +8 (+6 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 21 & 16)
Nullify +8 (+8 Nullify, DC 18)
Bodily Chemicals +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications: 
Responsibility (Uselessness of Powers)- Condo's powers aren't terribly useful in a fight, and so he has an inferiority complex.
Relationship (Lyle Norg- The Invisible Kid)- Owing his Legion membership to his one real friend, Condo is extremely devoted to Lyle, to the point where some have read romantic subplots into their relationship. He was devastated at Lyle's death.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 14 (92)

-Chemical King, next to Kid Psycho, is pretty easily the least-known and important member of the Pre-Reboot Legion of Super-Heroes, as given by his hard-to-define powers and limited appearances. His "debut" was actually in a story set in the LOSH's future, where his statue appeared among a list of their Honored Dead Legionnaires- his inclusion onto the main book's roster meant he was created LITERALLY JUST TO DIE- at the time, the "Adult Legion" stories were meant to be glimpses into the future.

-The writers at the time introduced him (going undercover in the Legion of Super-Villains), then put him right into the background, simply because it's impossible to write enough situations for a guy who can set some things on fire and make other things rust- he eventually was able to stun people by slowing their body chemistry down, which he stated COULD be used to kill them- but that was against the Legion Code. Granted, a Ranged Stun effect is still actually a pretty good weapon. And shockingly, he was around for NINE YEARS. My favourite bit is when he uses his powers to convince Element Lad that he'd executed Roxxas, the murderer of his entire race, because he knew that once Element Lad had carried out the execution, he would be horrified at his own actions. Thus- crisis averted!

-He got some use here and there, but the shy, introverted Chemical King was doomed, using his powers to save everyone from World War VII. Reboot Condo was basically just a newscaster, so we never really saw much of him again. The Post-Infinite Crisis Legion saw a "Chemical Kid" join the Legion Trainees, using a modification of the formula that gave Chemical King his powers.

-Not the easiest guy to stat, Condo features some minor powers at low-levels, just enough to make him a low-pointed PL 8 (as a young member of the YOUNG Legion, he is likely the least-powerful of a group of PL 8s or 9s). He just wasn't shown doing enough. He could stun people by using their body chemistry against them, set things on fire by hyper-oxidizing them, rust metals doing the same, and rot biological things like trees, plus affect energy powers like fire or radiation. This actually could make him useful from time-to-time, but he problematically needed JUST the right instance every time to use his powers properly.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Given the potential versatility of the character's stated power and the strong likelihood that he'd be an NPC in a Legion game even in an era where he's alive, I have to wonder if this is one time where a Variable is more appropriate than an Array.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Chemical King sounds like a case of one writer creating the guy, and the next writer not really knowing how to make use of said power. I'll admit, of the sciences I studied, chemistry was my least favorite, and I'd have needed to break out a science book to have any idea on how to make those powers useful.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:16 am Chemical King sounds like a case of one writer creating the guy, and the next writer not really knowing how to make use of said power. I'll admit, of the sciences I studied, chemistry was my least favorite, and I'd have needed to break out a science book to have any idea on how to make those powers useful.
I think its a case of creating an amazingly versatile and powerful superpower, but forgetting to make one that would be useful for fighting crime.

"Cures Cancer Lad" and "Summon Pure Drinking Water Lass" would be amazing benefits to society (if they existed) but they'd be lousy at stopping the Fatal Five's next scheme.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Ares wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:16 am Chemical King sounds like a case of one writer creating the guy, and the next writer not really knowing how to make use of said power. I'll admit, of the sciences I studied, chemistry was my least favorite, and I'd have needed to break out a science book to have any idea on how to make those powers useful.
Yeah...I'll just say that if a chemist was writing Legion at the time, there would be zero reason for any sort of inferiority complex.