Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Sudowoodo! Sunflora! Donphan!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Girallon! Gargoyles! Golems! Genies!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, they're really just "Spirits" of different sorts- numerous and disparate. Ifrit are generally evil ones, and take up the role "Oni" do in Japanese folklore. And in most cases, Europeans attempted to cram all of them into certain classifications (Ifrit = Genies, Oni = Ogres), even when they didn't fit.
kreuzritter

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Vampires! Girallon! Gargoyles! Golems!)

Post by kreuzritter »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:27 pm
kreuzritter wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:07 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 am I never understood why the Iron Golem has a poisonus breath.
engine exhaust
This is actually the best explanation I've ever heard about it.
this is a hobby fuelled by beer, pretzels, chinese take out and assort sweets and soft drinks, where monsters can be born from dime store grab bags or a cube of jello rolling onto the map, to say nothing of the inevitably of gamers who enjoy cheap puns

the silly explanation is often the one that makes the most sense
Jabroniville

Achairai

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

ACHAIRAI
Role:
Lethal Predator, "WTF?" Creature
PL 7 (60)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Intimidation 7 (+6 Size)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+5, +3 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
Senses 3 (Low-Light & Extended Vision, Acute Scent) [3]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Beak & Claws" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Natural Weapons +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Achairai cannot use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 8 (60)

-The strong, tall Achairai are among the more bizarre predators many people have every seen. Appearing to be, and behaving like, unintelligent monstrous birds (albeit with four legs and tiny wings), they are actually possessing of a rudimentary intelligence and have a limited ability to speak. Not native to this dimension, the creatures share a plane with the Demons & Devils of the Abyss, but may make their home on Castellia just as well. More successful than most Demons, largely because they appear to most like any other dangerous predator (rather than a Demon that would inspire any number of heroic crusaders against them), they can become quite a nuisance, but they are intelligent enough to avoid humanoid settlements.

-Extremely fast, the Achairai can run down most of their targets, and lash out with lethal claws and a deadly beak. They rarely scheme, and generally work to be left alone, though solitary or defenseless travellers are easy targets.

Jab's Notes: These things are apparently considered among the silliest of D&D monsters, though "four-legged bird" is hardly the weirdest thing even in that particular Monster Manual. The most peculiar thing about them to me is the fact that they are intelligent, talking animals, which is one of those weird D&D things where a LOT of stuff is made very smart, seemingly to provide a bigger challenge and be more characterful than a book of dumb animals. Since I LIKE dumb animals, I nearly scaled them back to non-sentient, but I instead met them halfway, making a somewhat-clever, but still kind of dumb, animalistic monster. Still from the Abyss, though, because that's just weird enough to work. And most birds (especially parrots) act like they're from Hell anyways. I kinda liked the idea of a Demonic creature tricking people into thinking it's just an animal, because it otherwise looks normal.
Batgirl III

Re: Castellia- A Fantasy Setting (Gargoyles! Golems! Genies! Achairai!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Most of the truly outrageous monsters in D&D's long history can actually be traced back to historical sources, medieval bestiaries were very popular for about a millennium and were sort of a weird melange of natural history text book, theological lecture, and fairy tale. They also treated wholly fictional creatures, like unicorns and catoblepas, with as much seriousness as bears and lions.

Remember the oh-so-silly Flail Snail? Totally historically accurate The Decretals of Gregory IX, c. 1300, has one:

How about a hair giant with a dolphin's tail?

The medieval ancestor of Dr. Horrible's infamous Bad Horse?

Although, it is without any doubt in mind mind that the Decretum Gratiani Bartolomeo de Brescia, c. 1340 CE, that contains the single greatest weird-as-hell monster of all time. Gentlemen, I give you, the flying green rabbit penis!

I swear to god, my SCA Barony once got a request by someone to have this thing as a charge on there Award of Arms. He was dead serious. (And we rejected it.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Man I wish *I* could ride a gigantic green rabbit peni--- wait.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, I've done a lot of looking at stuff like that as part of not only this thread, but Art History and just falling down Wiki-holes in general. The famous Unicorn Tapestries and the like. Never mind all the mythological creatures turned into entire races in D&D (Medusa, Pegasus, Lamia, Minotaur, Hydra, Chimera, etc.).

It took YEARS before mythology, cryptozoology and biology were all sort of separated into what they are today. Who knows how many charlatans made bank selling narwhal tusks as "Unicorn Horns".
Jabroniville

Azer

Post by Jabroniville »

AZER
Role:
Elite Dwarf

Powers:
Burning Aura 3 [12]
Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) [10]

-Sacred among much of Dwarfkind, the Azers are regular Dwarves who have succeeded in a pilgrimage to the Elemental Plane of Fire. Master forgers, they greatly respect those who have braved the perilous journey, and attained the great mastery of fire that allows one's entire body to be wreathed in flames. This is accomplished through complex alchemy that requires numerous ingredients, as well as magic from the Genies that inhabit that Plane. These permanently-burning Dwarves gain the greatest of admiration, and take leaderly roles in Dwarf society, often being treated as religious icons or sages, and their forging skills are legendary. As they are typically chaste (barring female Azers, which are rare), never mind the risks of the Plane of Fire (Efreeti and Fire Elementals being the most notorious enemies there), few risk the journey.

Jab's Notes: Azers are simply "Dwarves from the Plane of Fire" in D&D, but I thought that was kind of boring, so I made them the "Upper Tier" of Dwarves- those who brave some perilous journey that allows them to become creatures of fire. To me, this would be greatly-respected in a culture that worships the forge. It kind of has some religious significance, never mind the bravery aspects of it.
Woodclaw

Re: Azer

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:39 am Image

AZER
Role:
Elite Dwarf

Powers:
Burning Aura 3 [12]
Immunity 10 (Fire Effects) [10]

-Sacred among much of Dwarfkind, the Azers are regular Dwarves who have succeeded in a pilgrimage to the Elemental Plane of Fire. Master forgers, they greatly respect those who have braved the perilous journey, and attained the great mastery of fire that allows one's entire body to be wreathed in flames. This is accomplished through complex alchemy that requires numerous ingredients, as well as magic from the Genies that inhabit that Plane. These permanently-burning Dwarves gain the greatest of admiration, and take leaderly roles in Dwarf society, often being treated as religious icons or sages, and their forging skills are legendary. As they are typically chaste (barring female Azers, which are rare), never mind the risks of the Plane of Fire (Efreeti and Fire Elementals being the most notorious enemies there), few risk the journey.

Jab's Notes: Azers are simply "Dwarves from the Plane of Fire" in D&D, but I thought that was kind of boring, so I made them the "Upper Tier" of Dwarves- those who brave some perilous journey that allows them to become creatures of fire. To me, this would be greatly-respected in a culture that worships the forge. It kind of has some religious significance, never mind the bravery aspects of it.
In some of my games I applied the same logic backwards, having the Azers being the "root" of the dwarves: elemental beings that had to adapt to the Material Plane after some kind of catastrophe kicked them out of their homeland.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Aranea

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

ARANEA
Role:
Nightmare Fuel, Shapechangers
PL 8 (135)
Normal Version:
PL 7-8
STRENGTH 4/7 STAMINA 4/7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+11)
Close Combat (Bite) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+4)
Expertise (Craft Webs) 7 (+3)
Intimidation 9 (+9)
Perception 8 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+9)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 3, Startle

Powers:
"Arachnid Physiology"
"Arachnid Senses" Senses 1 (Radius Sight) [1]
"Tremorsense" Senses 4 (Ranged Touch- Accurate 2 & Extended) [4]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Chitinous Exoskeleton" Protection 3 [3]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]
Extra Limbs 4 [4]
Burrowing 2 [2]

"Spider-Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) & Affliction 4 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Paralyzed) (Extras: Progressive +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) (29) -- [31]
  • AE: "Irritating Hairs" Dazzle Visuals 4 (8)
  • AE: "Webbing" Snare 8 (Flaws: Touch Range) (16)
"Shapeshifter"
Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (6) -- [7]
  • AE: Morph 1 (Humanoid Spider) (Feats: Metamorph) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Large Size +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Bite +10 (+5 Damage, +6 Weaken & +4 Affliction, DC 20, 16 & 14)
Large-Sized Bite +10 (+8 Damage, +6 Weaken & +4 Affliction, DC 23, 16 & 14)
Web +8 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +15

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +0

Complications:
Secret (Identity)- Aranea are not eager to have anyone else figure out what they are- they attempt to be thought of as non-sentient, Gigantic Spiders.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 5 (135)

-Those "In The Know" about the origins of Castellia's various creatures warn amateurs about assuming that every strange creature is "the creation of a Wizard that escaped and produced a surviving population". This truthfully has only happened nine or ten times (most famously, the Displacer Beast is an example). However, some unfortunates in one particular part of the world know that such things CAN be possible, particularly in the case of the Aranea. Created by an offshoot of the same cult that produced the Ettercap, the Aranea were an attempt to forge a new kind of Spider- glorious shapeshifters to give glory to a Spider God. Through alchemy, brain-melding and other forms of mutation, these cultists forged intelligent, shapeshifting spiders they called Aranea.

-The experiment was, of course, incredibly successful. The might of a large Spider, combined with shapeshifting and a cunning intelligence, made them perfect predators, and they swiftly slew their creators and banded together for protection and scheming. The current population of Aranea is small, but is likely to grow, as they are a brand-new species, in their first decade of existence. Few who've witnessed them expect this to end well for anybody.

-Aranea are as intelligent as human beings, and many have begun learning Magic, in order to enhance their threat.

Jab's Notes: I just can't even with D&D sometimes. A race of Shapeshifting SPIDERS? In addition to all the OTHER Shapeshifters just in the first Monster Manual? It's nutty. So I figured I'd throw out the old "Wild Population From Someone's Experiments" cliche, but twist it around by having it be in the first years, so that we can see the effects of it on local ecology. Apparently it can typically only turn into a single type of humanoid, so it's not quite like a Mimic, but still.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Funny Aranea are pretty old D&D monsters, I believe they originated in some Mystara supplement and they definetely pre-date driders.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Araena first appeared in the modules X1 The Isle of Dread and X2 Castle Amber in 1981, for the BECMI edition of D&D.

Driders show up first in the AD&D1e module Queen of the Demonweb Pits (1980), beating the shapeshifting spiders to print by a full year.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:33 pm The Araena first appeared in the modules X1 The Isle of Dread and X2 Castle Amber in 1981, for the BECMI edition of D&D.

Driders show up first in the AD&D1e module Queen of the Demonweb Pits (1980), beating the shapeshifting spiders to print by a full year.
I thought Isle of Dread came first.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Nope, Q1 came out in October 1980; X1 was bundled with every copy of the Expert Set in ‘81, then sold stand alone starting in ‘83.

Since a lot of people bought the Expert Set before they bought stand alone modules and/or since Q1 was such a high level adventure, many people remember Isle as coming first because it joined their collection first.
Jabroniville

Arrowhawks

Post by Jabroniville »

ARROWHAWK- JUVENILE
Role:
Swarming Predators
PL 4 (80)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 12
Normal Version:
PL 2-3
STRENGTH -1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+5)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 12 (+6 Size)
Perception 9 (+9)

Advantages:
Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended, Ultra & Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +4 [4]

Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
Immunity 11 (Acid & Electrical Damage, Poison) [11]
"Electric Ray" Damage 4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) [8]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Natural Weapons +5 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Electric Ray +4 Area (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +0, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Arrowhawks cannot use their talons to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 13 (80)

ARROWHAWK- ADULT
Role:
Elite
PL 7 (99)- Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 15
Normal Version:
PL 5-6
STRENGTH 2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 7 (+6)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+8)
Intimidation 14 (+7 Size)
Perception 9 (+9)

Advantages:
Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +3 [3]

"Electric Ray" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) [14]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Natural Weapons +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Electric Ray +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Arrowhawks cannot use their talons to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 11 (99)

ARROWHAWK- ELDER
Role:
Elite
PL 9 (119)
Normal Version:
PL 7-8
STRENGTH 5 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 7 (+6)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+9)
Intimidation 14 (+8 Size)
Perception 9 (+9)

Advantages:
Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 2, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +3 [3]
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

"Electric Ray" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Natural Weapons +9 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Electric Ray +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 12 (119)

-Arrowhawks are powerful creatures native to the Elemental Plane of Air, though many flocks find their way to Castellia, where they can torment large areas, effectively taken the role occupied by Asshole Birds (Spearow & Fearow) in areas those birds do not inhabit. Unlike those creatures, though, Arrowhawks are quite intelligent, and can speak. Bizarre beings, they have four wings- one on each side, allowing them to twist and turn, moving with impossible, sinuous grace as only a Multiplanar Air Being can. They can fly upside-down as well as right-side up, sporting eyes on each side of their beak, as well as twin tongues, making it hard to see where the "upper" body really is.

-Extremely dangerous and usually quite selfish and cruel, Arrowhawks are not quite "evil" so much as Animalistic- they kill whatever they can catch, regardless of whether or not those creatures are sentient. They are legendarily territorial, and smart enough to plan ambushes or avoid slaughter- most Rangers are wise to charge heavy fees for Arrowhawk Hunting.

Jab's Notes: Another one with a fairly big bio- three separate builds!- but no major role to play. Like a lot of random creatures I found dull, they're Extraplanar Beings, which I'm noticing is a bit of a thing with D&D- throwing the weirder, less-important stuff onto the Planes so that players don't feel obligated to use them... or just to justify them being part of their world, I guess. Once again, they're ultra-smart, lethal beings, hitting CR 3-8, which is a solid spread for lower-end parties of adventurers. I think they'd be okay as weird magical things if you go to the Plane of Air (though... why would you? Genie Hunting?), or the occasional threat, but the Spearows or Giant Eagles are far better for that level of threat, in my opinion.
Jabroniville

Hags

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

HAG
Role:
Nightmare Fuel, Monstrous Female
PL 8 (97)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Magic) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Hideous)- Hags are hideous even compared to other creatures.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 7 (97)

-Hags are creatures of myth and legend- rare enough that most people never see them, and think they only exist in rumor. Most are simply known by a single name, like "Black Annis" or "Old Bessie"- said to inhabit one particular region. Some fancy them as magical Witch-like beings, while others assume they are immensely strong, savage killers. Tales of their origins abound, with no two being exactly the same. Most are thought to consume children, attack trespassers, or otherwise act like hermits.

-The truth about Hags is that they are actually females of various sentient races that have been warped by magic, much like the Gibbering Mouthers. It is believed that various sorceresses, if overstretching their magical might, casting spells beyond their measure, or, most terrifyingly, they give up their normal appearance and sanity entirely, deliberately becoming monstrous crones. They trade physical beauty for personal might.

-Hags come in various forms, and are either solitary or in trios called "Coveys", typically with one Hag of each type. Here, they scheme, tell tales, or barter artifacts or information. Hags are powerful and dangerous, but secretive- preferring to not have Adventurers come by on a regular basis. Many also know additional forms of magic, having remembered some of the spells from their past life.

Jab's Notes: Hags are a peculiarity in D&D, typically fitting the "Black Annis" cryptozoological creatures of withered old cannibals who hide out in the woods.

Hag Types:

SEA HAG- PL 8 (112): "The Evil Eye" Weaken Stamina 5 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day), "Aquatic" Swimming 2, Immunity (Drowning), Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic [15]
-Sea Hags are the most hideous and wretched of Hags- their stench is legendary. They lair in coves and beaches, hoping to find victims along the water's edge. They are typically created either from Aquatic races or Blue Mages who've spent time near water. Coastlines are large enough that these are the second most-common kind of Hag.

ANNIS- PL 9 (113): ST +1, STA +1, "Change Self" Morph 3 (Adult Forms) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) [16]
-Annises are the strongest of Hags, and are typically blue or dark green. They are typically created from female Mages who desire tremendous physical strength or toughness.

GREEN HAG- PL 8 (112): "Weakness" Weaken Stamina 5 (Extras: Progressive +2) [15]
-Green Hags are twisted creatures that typically dwell in forests, are the most commonly-seen Hag, and are the most likely one to focus on magic.

NIGHT HAG- PL 9 (128): ST +1, STA +1, "Demon Fever" Weaken Stamina 5 (Extras: Progressive +2), "Change Self" Morph 3 (Adult Forms) (Flaws: Unreliable- 5/day) [31]
-Night Hags are the most dangerous kind of Hag, sporting otherworldly powers and deep blue/violet skin. They are typically created when female Mages seek too much power from beyond the Material Plane, making alliances with dark forces- failure is punished by transformation into one of these fell, Unholy creatures. Night Hags may also create more Hags- by suckling humanoid children over a period of months, slowly transforming them into Night Hags as well.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.