Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
danelsan

Re: Jab's Builds! (Laura! F.A.N.G.! Darkstalkers- Demitri! Victor!)

Post by danelsan »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:
drkrash wrote:
Doctor Malsyn wrote:There's apparently a lot more fighting games out there then I was ever aware of. I've really only heard of MK and SF stuff, along with games based on popular anime.
When developing Fight!, I researched over 40 different *series* of fighting games, as well as many individual entries. My personal collection of fighting games is just shy of 200.
Lords amlighty, had no idea there could be that many games just in the fighting genre.
Yeah, it was just about the most popular genre for a while. So there are tons of shitty fighting games and plenty of gems hiding among them. It was basically the bread and butter of the Neo Geo system, for instance.

I don't recall if I played WW7 in an emulator, or if that collector friend of mine I mentioned before the Incident actually had the game. Financial circumstances have made it so he had to part with most of it, but he had a lot of obscure stuff in his collection, so I don't doubt Waku Waku 7 was among his games.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I'm hardly an expert, but it strikes me that fighting games are fairly simple mechanically, like platformers and kart racers, which probably contributes to the amount of "shovelware" in the genre.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Good point about mechanically similar. I suspect that there is a much bigger challenge in making them different yet all competitive.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That's why I'm specifically calling out the "shovelware" titles. The cheaply made, cheaply priced, released practically straight into the bargain bin, kind of crap "also rans" that you see in some genres.

Obviously the "big names" like Street Fighter and Tekken do a lot to innovate and grow the genre, while also trying to make themselves distinct from the herd. I'd say a fair number of "no name" fighters also try to do this... They just don't catch on with the public for whatever reason.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote:I'm hardly an expert, but it strikes me that fighting games are fairly simple mechanically, like platformers and kart racers, which probably contributes to the amount of "shovelware" in the genre.
Yeah, they seemed easy to make, but hard to make WELL. So god-awful garbage like Time Killers was produced along with the few good games. Primal Rage has one of the greatest game concepts of all time, but the game is piss-poor.

Even some of the most popular games, like Mortal Kombat, weren't that well-made or balanced. The lesser Neo*Geo games were often pretty weak and silly (World Heroes). Balance was a BITCH for the old games, too.

Never mind all of the weak licensed properties. They have their fans, but Double Dragon V, Justice League of America and TMNT Tournament Fighters were NOT elite fighting games.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Pretty much the only notable thing about Time Killers aside from the gore is the fact that Death himself is the boss! A pain in the butt to fight, as per most fighting game bosses, but his design leaves..much to be desired.
Image Just look at this guy!

It makes me want to build the cast of that game, honestly, just because of how pathetic they are.

The spirital sequel to that game, BloodStorm, was a bit more notable (but still not great), mostly because Johnny Cage's actor promoted it and got kicked off Mortal Kombat due to it. It also had a ton of secrets and hidden features! It had a lot of ideas that were cool, but badly executed. Unfortunately, the game was also super-90s in its style. The most notable thing is that you could cut the opponent in half, leaving them as a mostly-helpless torso for the rest of the round! You could also obtain the opponent's moves Megaman style. The only other fighting game that did that (besides ol' Shujinko in Mortal Kombat) was the obscure SNK fighter Voltage FIghter Gowkaiser, which seems to have been based on an anime OVA, or vice versa. That game had interesting character designs, at least.
Jabroniville

Samsquanch

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

SASQUATCH
First Appearance:
Darkstalkers (1994)
Game Appearances: Darkstalkers- All Games but Vampire Saviour 2
Home Country: Canada
Role: Goofy Fighter, Bestial Fighter, Freeze-Based Character
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+13)
Expertise (Survival) 8 (+9)
Intimidation 9 (+8)
Perception 7 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Big Snow) 10 (+12)

Advantages:
Fearless, Improved Critical (Big Cyclone), Improved Critical (Big Swing), Improved Critical (Big Typhoon), Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

"DarkStalker" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Bigfoot Physiology"
"Long Arms & Legs" Reach 1 [1]
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic Creature) [2]
Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+7) (Flaws: Limited to in Wintry Conditions) [1]
Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Flaws: Limited to Electronics, Limited to Crap-Ass Grainy Photos) [1]
Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended Hearing) [4]

"Special Moves"
"Big Snow" Blast 6 (Diminished Range -1, Reduced Defenses 1) Linked to Snare 5 (Flaws: Not Cumulative) (Diminished Range -1) (18) -- [23]
  • AE: "Big Blast" Damage 5 (Feats: Reach 2) (Inaccurate -1) (Reduced Defenses 1) Linked to Snare 5 (Flaws: Touch Range, Not Cumulative) (Inaccurate -1) (9)
  • AE: "Big Typhoon" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 7) (Flaws: Distracting 7) Linked to Affliction 7 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (11)
  • AE: "Big Towers" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Big Swing" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Big Cyclone- Spinning Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Special Moves +11 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Big Snow +12 (+5 Ranged Damage & Affliction, DC 20 & 15)
Big Blast +11 (+5 Damage & Affliction, DC 20 & 15)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +7 (+8 D.Roll), Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications: 
Motivation (Survival)- Sasquatch's people are threatened by the Makai war.
Addiction (Bananas)- Despite those CLEARLY not growing in the Canadian climate, all Bigfoot apparently love bananas.
Weakness (Predictability)- Sasquatch, like all Darkstalkers, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 8 + 13 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 20 (140)

-Another goofy, silly character, Sasquatch is the leader of a Canadian band of his kind, and uses a combination of physical attacks and Freezing. Oddly enough, despite being a SASQUATCH he's one of the shortest characters, instead being super-squat and wide. His cartoonish face is more "cute" than "savage", which can be a bit of a turn-off for people who want to play a MONSTER, but there's many other options for that kind of thing in this game. His people are kind and peaceful, but when pushed, their leader will show the other monsters that the Bigfoot aren't to be messed with.

Monster Basis: Sasquatch is naturally a huge part of the mythology of North America, though there are DOZENS of mythological "cryptids" like this found all over the world (the most famous are Bigfoot/Sasquatch and the Yeti)- part of the human experience is beliefs in hidden "Wild-Men", which could be part of racial memory of our hirsute ancestors, recognition of ancient skeletons, or the general fanciful nature of human imagination. Typically seen in the Pacific Northwest and the Canadian Rockies, similar animals are sometimes thought to exist in Florida (the Skunk Ape) and other regions. Though no real, actual evidence has ever surface for any of these creatures, "hunters" and other nutcases follow the tracks every time.

-Sasquatch is stronger than Demitri, but less strong than Victor- his Special Moves (all of which are called "Big _____") are quite varied physically (containing an Anti-Air, a Grab and a Standard attack), and also contain a few moves that temporarily freeze the opponent in addition to doing damage, much like Sub-Zero's moves in Mortal Kombat.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

The multiplication of fighting games in the 90s and early 00s was not just a matter of big-name quality material and forgettable shovelware. There were a LOT of fighting games that were excellent, but just weren't able to break through.

I think another comic book analogy works here: if you like the X-Men, you might like another comic book that had characters and themes like the X-Men. If that excites you, you might like lots of similar books. But you might also just say, "I have the X-Men; why do I need another team like them?"

When it comes to fighting games, I fit in the 1st category, because I'll gladly accept a derivative story or character design if the game has at least one clever design element, character, or story element.

As for Voltage Fighter, I never got to play the video game (when I had a chance to get it, it appeared to have aged very badly), but the anime it was based on (I'm pretty sure the game came first) was basically light hentai. There were whole conversations that were done from the angle of a close up panty shot. (Another one like it was Advanced V.G., a game about fighting waitresses that then sexually humiliated the losers.)

Even the memory of it now confirms why I don't bother watching anime anymore.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Good start Jab.

I really loved the American cartoon when I was 13, but even a year or two later as I rewatched a few episodes I had taped.....man even in that span of time it aged horribly.

Also Harry Sue

One thing I did like about the toon though was that one episode actually revealed Demetri was Dracula's nephew. That always stuck with me in an 'of course' kind of way, and it always sticks in my head canon
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

KorokoMystia wrote:The only other fighting game that did that (besides ol' Shujinko in Mortal Kombat) was the obscure SNK fighter Voltage FIghter Gowkaiser
The only other...if we ignore the actual Megaman games, Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters ;)
Jabroniville

Felicia

Post by Jabroniville »

FELICIA
First Appearance:
Darkstalkers (1994)
Game Appearances: Darkstalkers- All Games, Marvel (vs) Capcom 2, Namco X Capcom
Home Country: Unknown
Role: Catgirl, Miss Fanservice
PL 10 (157)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+16)
Athletics 10 (+15)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+15)
Expertise (Music) 7 (+11)
Intimidation 1 (+5)
Perception 7 (+8)
Persuasion 1 (+5, +7 Attractive)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Attractive, Evasion, Improved Critical (Rolling Scratch), Improved Critical (Scratches & Kicks) 2, Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Uncanny Dodge

"DarkStalker" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Catgirl Physiology"
"Wall Cling" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 2 (4 mph) [2]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Werekitty" Morph 1 (Kitty Form) (Feats: Metamorph) [6]

"Special Moves"
"Rolling Scratch" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (Flaws: Distracting 5) Linked to Affliction 5 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (8) -- [11]
  • AE: "Sand Splash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2) (Inaccurate -1) (3)
  • AE: "Hell Cat" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Various Scratches & Kicks" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +13 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Rolling Scratch +15 (+5 Damage & Affliction, DC 20 & 15)
Initiative +15

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications: 
Motivation (Becoming a Music Star)- Felicia wishes to become a pop star, which somehow involves fighting other monsters. She wishes for peaceful coexistence between Darkstalkers and humans, so I guess she has to beat them up or something.
Weakness (Predictability)- Felicia, like all Darkstalkers, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 12 + 13 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 19 (157)

-Felicia was instantly 13-year old Jab's favorite character when he first saw clips of her... and HOLY GOD is it clear why! I mean, there's Fanservice, and then there's THIS- basically a 100% nude chick with a teeny-weeny white line drawn over the bare minimum of her body to pass censorship laws. Sadly, as the years go by, I find it weirder and weirder that her freakin' hands and feet are so enormous- that is just TOTALLY not my fetish- so I find the character less hot. Plus, technically she has HAIRY NIPPLES, given that that "white line" is actually fur. Also, seeing someone nudied out THAT hard loses a bit of appeal once you're through the worst of puberty, I think. After a point, I found that either total nudity or a MODICUM of class was the best way to go. Or just dress like Selene. SHUT UP IT'S NOT A PERFECT THEORY.
-Unlike most Darkstalkers, Felicia isn't evil or an anti-hero. She's actually objectively GOOD- she wishes to unite humans & Darkstalkers, and so she travels the world in an attempt to become a musical sensation, thus "bridging the gap" between the two cultures.

Monster Basis: Felicia is a Catgirl, which isn't really a mythological creature the way the other characters are- myths about Cat-Transformations are extremely uncommon compared to stuff about Ghosts, Werewolves, Vampires, Sasquatch, etc. The stories aren't even as big a part of history as say, Frankenstein's Monster and other creatures from pop culture. She's just... there for Fanservice, really.

-Felicia is your trademark "Fast Attacker" character, as most of her moves (which are statted out generally the same) take advantage of her great movement speed, and involve a lot of rolling forwards and under things. She's a bit like Blanka in functionality, merged with the speed of a Cammy or a Chun-Li. A couple of them can hit more than once if you hit deep enough, one is a Grab, and another has good reach (the Sand Slash involves kicking what looks like blue energy at your opponent). She's basically the Darkstalkers version of a Scrapper/Animalistic Fighter character. Her Super Moves involve a lot of "Summons" sort of, as her Catgirl allies (of varying sizes) run in to help her out- I left that un-statted, as physically it's just an elite version of a Multiattack move.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Jab's Builds! (F.A.N.G.! Demitri! Victor! Sasquatch! Felicia!)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

...Never once heard the name "Darkstalkers" before, yet I instantly recognize Felicia. Welcome to the internet, it's for p- ...playing games online. Yep.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I think cat girls may be a Japanese thing

i mean maybe not for a basis in myth and legend, but def. a Japanese thing
Ken

Post by Ken »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:...Never once heard the name "Darkstalkers" before, yet I instantly recognize Felicia. Welcome to the internet, it's for p- ...playing games online. Yep.
Playing
On-line
Real
Nerds
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

also I'm a bit surprised Jab hasn't HNNNSKED over the Felecia easily beating a huge bodybuilder at arm wrestling

maybe it's just me