Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nemesis Kid! Lightning Lord! Tyr! Saturn Queen!)

Post by Batgirl III »

I can’t wait to see him in the live action film!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:10 pm Yeah, I remember that relaunch.

Sometimes looking back is fun, because today is so much better! :D

? With your older builds--like the X-Men from 4 yrs ago--Do you ever update them when posting them forward today, owing to the character growing stronger (like Jean) or becoming more skilled in the use of their powers (like Ororo)?
I check over the builds from time to time, but for the most part, the characters are quite similar. Comics of the past several years barely even MENTION power-sets and tactics these days, and fights are more of a "backdrop" scene in random panels- you often don't even see what knocked a guy out! So statlines are hard to imagine changing over a short period of time.

However, what DOES change is the commentary. Characters like Rogue or even HAVOK end up with insanely huge histories by this point, and I do much more of that than my old, shorter "1-2 paragraphs" bios for major characters.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 pm
I think the "Fighting Game" builds have always been my favourites. (I'm still hoping to see the Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat reposts at some point, for the new characters. There's also two new SFV characters released, with another on the way.) I'm even willing to help researching the movesets for some of the more obscure games. (Something like KOF with its hundreds of characters is too much for me to handle though, sadly.) Like, there's all those ridiculously bad MK clones ( which could probably just use the Generic Kombatant template) like Kasumi NInja,Ultra Vortek, Bloodstorm (which is the one that had Johnny Cage's actor advertising for it) and Way of the Warrior, as well as the unreleased Tattoo Assasins. SHADOW: War of Succession is a particularly infamously horrible one. (They couldn't even be bothered to program the fatalities into the game!)
Also, I feel Bloody Roar never gets enough love, because it's a fighting game where the fighters transform into beast fighters, Altered Beast style!
Yeah, Fighting Game builds are always fun to research. A bit "same-y" in design, though, and many aren't interested in them, so I try to keep them sparse. Fighter's History is the next one on the docket for me. Way Of The Warrior has interested me ever since I saw Video Games Magazine do a huge article on all the characters and moves, since the game designers were clearly "two guys in a basement, filming their friends in fancy clothes". The "Do It Yourself"-ish nature of the thing but fascinated and amused me, because I could tell the results were terrible.
Jabroniville

Silver Slasher

Post by Jabroniville »

SILVER SLASHER (Ki-Lan)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Joe Staton
First Appearance: Superboy & The Legion of Super-Heroes #253 (July 1979)
Home Planet: Dryad
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities (maybe)
Eras: Original only
Role: Wolverine Knock-Off (the very first!!)
PL 9 (99)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+10)
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Space Villain) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Perception 2 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Smash

Powers:
"Metallic Body" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 5) [7]
"Spinning Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 8) (10) -- [11]
AE: "Metal Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split, Penetrating 4) (7)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The Legion of Super-Heroes)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 9 (99)

-Convinced that the Legion had destroyed her homeworld of Dryad, Silver Slasher joined the League of Super-Assassins, but kept up the villainy act even after the truth (a super-nova) was discovered. She and the rest of the League (sans Blok) joined The Legion of Super-Villains, and were apparently based off of the X-Men, in the same way that the Shi'ar Imperial Guard were based off of the Legion- it was an agreed-upon "crossover by proxy", in a sense, though as usual, Marvel's became much more famous and well-used over time. Slasher is, of course, based off of Wolverine, making her possibly a record-holder: THE VERY FIRST WOLVERINE RIP-OFF IN COMIC BOOK HISTORY.

-Slasher doesn't get up to much during An Eye For An Eye- she beats Dream Girl off-panel, and later gets hurt when Lightning Lass blows up a piloting console on the LSV's ship.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey look! The Tony Awards Nominations are out!! https://broadwaydirect.com/2018-tony-aw ... mpaign=280

And I'm actually surprised to see Frozen nominated for the big awards- Best Musical and Best Book (for Jennifer Lee). I mean, it's a pretty direct adaptation of the movie, and the Tonys don't just give "popularity" awards for no reason. So it must LEGITIMATELY have been good.

That said... it didn't get nominated for ANY Actor Awards. Which surprised me, as people were quite big on the girl playing Elsa.

Funny how all the big Musicals this year were adaptations of recent stuff. Mean Girls and Spongebob Squarepants of all things were the top-tier musicals leading the nominations.
Jabroniville

Titania

Post by Jabroniville »

TITANIA
Created By:
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Role: Powerhouse
PL 10 (96)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Space Villain) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 1 (+2)
Technology 2 (+2)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +3

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 7 (96)

-Titania is a rare case indeed- not only is she an example of Marvel & DC sharing the same name for characters with identical concepts (actually TWICE OVER, since Marvel had two super-strong Titanias), but she's an example of a super-strong character that's "all talk"- said to be of strength rivalling Ultra Boy or Mon-El, she's basically just a background nobody who can do some damage, but appears to fall like a house of cards every time she's hit by something- I seriously doubt Lightning Lass could one-shot Mon-El with a lightning bolt, for example. She's also successfully bound with chains after she's KO'd in the big fight. She's another Super-Assassin (based off of Thunderbird, though really both are just "strong people"), and has pretty simplistic stats given she's just really strong and that's it. She's stronger than she is tough because of her aforementioned vulnerability.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:32 pm -Titania is a rare case indeed- not only is she an example of Marvel & DC sharing the same name for characters with identical concepts (actually TWICE OVER, since Marvel had two super-strong Titanias),
And Erza Scarlet would kick all three of their asses without breaking a sweat.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Marvel also had a Silver Slasher, a male character, a few years before DC's SS. He did not spin, but was spiky all over.

What happened to Titania in that last pic? Was her hair all singed off by Lightning Lass?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

DC also has the actual Titania – as in the Queen of Faerie – as a character, mostly in books belonging to the Vertigo imprint.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:51 pm Marvel also had a Silver Slasher, a male character, a few years before DC's SS. He did not spin, but was spiky all over.

What happened to Titania in that last pic? Was her hair all singed off by Lightning Lass?
That's just a George Perez re-design. I don't thinks he even said anything in Legion of Three Worlds. Given the cast of hundreds (and that's just for the HEROES), I'm not surprised :).

So yeah, the reason I keep a list of "when I last did stuff" is because I sometimes like to re-post builds or make new commentary, and that lets me know how long ago some of them were. An "Every Five Years" rule seems to work well. Anything from then on seems to have much shorter bios than I like to write these days, or other nitpicky things I'd like to change, PLUS it's been long enough that I can get all-new comments from people over older subject matter.

This Legion set, for example, has been arguably the busiest I've seen my thread since I statted up the JLA & JSA a few years ago on Ronin Army- they were HUGELY popular, to the point where even a B.S.Legion of Super-Villains member will be the only posted build on an entire page of 15 comments. And that's after barely a five-year wait from the LAST time I posted the Legion (Laziness Alert: The builds are almost 100% unchanged since then. I totally cheated :)! Though by God, the commentary additions make them take just as long...).

Hrm, any thoughts for how I should post Disney Builds once I get to them again? I was thinking of going in the order the movies were released- it'd be an interesting history lesson. But when I did that for the Street Fighter guys, it led to big swaths of characters nobody really liked, while all the most popular names were crammed together quite strongly. My USUAL method is "Post a big name alongside 1-2 little names", to draw out the big-name builds of popular things. What do you all think?
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:27 pm Yeah, Fighting Game builds are always fun to research. A bit "same-y" in design, though, and many aren't interested in them, so I try to keep them sparse. Fighter's History is the next one on the docket for me. Way Of The Warrior has interested me ever since I saw Video Games Magazine do a huge article on all the characters and moves, since the game designers were clearly "two guys in a basement, filming their friends in fancy clothes". The "Do It Yourself"-ish nature of the thing but fascinated and amused me, because I could tell the results were terrible.
Yeah, Way of the Warrior is pretty amusing, and interesting in that it's one of Naughty Dog's early games before they hit it big with Crash Bandicoot and their later games. Plus it has a huge skeleton warrior with a giant hammer and a Mid-90s-CGI dragon as the bosses.
Jabroniville

Mist Master

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL- nice hair.

MIST MASTER (Yer Sti-Tuan)
Created By:
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Role: Magnetic Villain
PL 10 (123)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 1 (+3)
Expertise (Space Villain) 3 (+4)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Gaseous Forms"
Insubstantial 2 (Feats: Precise) [11]
Flight 2 (4 mph) [4]

"Carbon Monoxide" Suffocation 10 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) (44) -- [50]
  • AE: "Smoke" Concealment 3 (Visuals & Scent) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Attack, Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (19)
  • AE: "Sleep Gas" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Cumulative) (34)
  • AE: "Hallucinogenic Gas" Affliction 10 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Random Acts) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Cumulative) (34)
  • AE: "Stinging Gas" Dazzle Visuals 10 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (24)
  • AE: "Corrosive Gas" Weaken Toughness 10 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) Linked to Damage 5 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (38)
  • AE: "Invisible Gas" Concealment 4 (Visual Senses, Scent & Hearing) (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gas Effects +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 13 (123)

-Mist Master is basically an evil version of Gas Girl, and is a quasi-"Storm" character. The Legion of Super-Assassins really didn't keep to the "X-Men Parody" thing very strongly. Some fans think it's pretty clear, and there's a few links, but it's a lot more tenuous than the obvious Legion/Imperial Guard one.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Them’s Fightin’ Herds might be a fun change of pace when it comes to fighting game characters all feeling “same-y.” I mean, the heroes are a unicorn, a dragon, deer, a cow, a llama, and a sheep.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:51 pm Marvel also had a Silver Slasher, a male character, a few years before DC's SS. He did not spin, but was spiky all over.

You're thinking of Slasher, who is just named "Slasher", and is silver, but is not a SILVER Slasher.

Easy mistake to make. I couldn't even remember his full name :).
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:28 pm

You're thinking of Slasher, who is just named "Slasher", and is silver, but is not a SILVER Slasher.

Easy mistake to make. I couldn't even remember his full name :).
But, but, but...he wore a suit of silver, slashy spikes all over him....I can even tell you what book he was in....(walks away, head hung low)...