Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Nemesis Kid! Lightning Lord! Tyr! Saturn Queen!)

Post by greycrusader »

I actually think JK Rowling may have borrowed that line from comics, not the other way 'round, because the first time I remember reading it was in the Wally West Flash book in the early 1990s,said about Dr. Alchemy, and YEARS before Harry Potter.

Of course, I'm of the belief JK Rowling borrowed a WHOLE lot more from Gaiman's Books of Magic,but if I'm correct, she got away with it and made dozens of millions (at least!), so there is that.

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken's referring to the Flash TV show, which cast the actor who played Draco Malfoy as Dr. Alchemy, who was wielding the Philosophers Stone.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:22 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:09 pm At least becoming a villain because you want revenge is a better motive than guys like Doctor Alchemy – dude invents a means to transmute anything into anything... and uses it to rob banks. Ahh, comics.
Draco Malfoy and the Philosopher's Stone. Ah, television and it's pop culture references.
Or pop culture and it’s Classics references. The oldest writing we have about the philospher’s Stone is from Zosimos of Panopolis c. 300 CE. He was clearly drawing on older sources, but none survive. (And no, contrary to what the Art Bell crowd will tell you, this doesn’t mean Atlantean Lizard-People.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Dev-Em

Post by Jabroniville »

DEV-EM
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & George Papp
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #287 (June 1961)
Home Planet: Krypton
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities (Under a Yellow Sun)
Eras: Original only
Role: Juvenile Delinquent, Flying Brick
PL 15 (293)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Juvenile Delinquent) 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 6 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Heat Vision/Freeze Breath) 2 (+10)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"More Powerful Than a Speeding Locomotive" Power-Lifting 7 (500,000 tons) [7]
"The Man of Steel" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 19) [21]
Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) [11]

"Heat Beam" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (45) -- [50]
  • AE: "Heat Vision" Blast 16 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (34)
  • AE: "Freeze Breath" Affliction 14 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (42)
  • AE: "Freeze Cone" Affliction 14 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Extra Condition) (42)
  • AE: "Ground Pound" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) (28)
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Affliction 14 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) Linked to Move Object 11 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (36)
"Faster Than a Speeding Bullet"
Flight 18 (500,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (36) -- [40]
  • Dynamic AE: Quickness 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: Speed 15 (64,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (16)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

Senses 22 (Extended Vision & Hearing 4, Analytical, Low-Light, Infra, Ultra & Microvision 4, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Ultra-Hearing) [22]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Heat Vision +10 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Heat Beam +15 Area (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Freeze Breath +11 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Freeze Cone/Ground Pound +14 Area (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +18 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +6

Complications:
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Kryptonite)- Dev-Em will lose all of his powers, and soon begin to die, if exposed to Kryptonite, the element of his dead homeworld.
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Red Sun Radiation)- Earth's Yellow Sun empowers Dev-Em- without it, he will soon lose his powers. Red Sun-based energies will do much more damage to him.
Power Loss (X-Ray Vision)- Kryptonian X-Ray Vision cannot penetrate lead.

Total: Abilities: 110 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 152 / Defenses: 9 (293)

-Dev-Em reminds me of the old joke about Superman's origins- "Krypton dies, killing Superman's parents and a few close relatives". See, Dev-Em is a Kryptonian punk-ass delinquent, who put himself into suspended animation when he heard Jor-El's warnings of Krypton being destroyed, and as such, survived to Superboy's time, revealing himself and pretending to be Kal-El for a little while (stirring up some Superdickery in the meantime). Like many one-off storylines, he showed up later (probably due to fan interest), travelling to the future and allying with the Legion a few times, having reformed. He even helps them out in The Great Darkness Saga.

-Post-Crisis, he was turned into a Daxamite (a mid-tier Who's Who bio says he was a Titanian who gave himself Kryptonian powers with mental powers... somehow), and was crazy. More modern times would use him as a villain in other Superman stories, and he once beat Superman and much of the Legion until Shrinking Violet did the "jump into the ear" trick and beat him. In Geoff Johns's Action Comics, he appears as a renegade Kryptonian being held prisoner for "murder and perversions", and is sentenced to the Phantom Zone.

-Dev-Em is a slightly more low-rent Superboy, generally having less experience (it's also mentioned in-story that he absorbed less yellow sunlight, and was thus never ablet to become as powerful), but those high stats mean he's still a tremendous threat. In one story, as an insane Daxamite (where his weaknesses & vulnerabilities would change slightly) he's MORE than a match for an adult Superman!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hey look, Giffen gains sole control over a character and makes him look like an idiot. :roll:

Thinking about Giffen and the Legion, I'm reminded of the Invasion! crossover that I believed Giffen was in charge of, back in the late 80's/early 90's. It really did feel like the Legion timeline was invading the modern Earth timeline, since the major aliens involved were the Dominators (the big Legion foes at the time), the Khunds (classic Legion foes), the Durlans (Chameleon Boy's people), the Daxamites, and a few other alien races like the Thanagarians.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:57 pm It really did feel like the Legion timeline was invading the modern Earth timeline, since the major aliens involved were the Dominators (the big Legion foes at the time), the Khunds (classic Legion foes), the Durlans (Chameleon Boy's people), the Daxamites, and a few other alien races like the Thanagarians.
<nod> Which is why I found an earlier comment about how we really haven't explored the universe of the Legion's time to be terribly, terribly ironic. On the other hand, they did pull in the villains of the previous modern day science fiction superheroes by having the Omega Men's Citadelians involved ... and killing off an absurd number of the Omegas.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There’s a difference between “Alien Empire X and Alien Empire Y are invading Earth. Again.” and exploring the universe.
Jabroniville

Heroes of Lallor

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HEROES OF LALLOR:
This group is from the early run of the Legion- a group of five teenage heroes from the dictatorship world of Lallor. More powerful than the Legionnaires of the time, they teamed with the Legion to overthrow Lallor's evil government, and the two teams parted as allies. They weren't used all that often (I mean, the book's core cast was ALREADY in the twenties), though Duplicate Boy had hooked up with Shrinking Violet, and Beast Boy soon died. I thought it was an interesting look at what OTHER super-heroes look like- it's rather odd that a single team of young adults are essentially instrumental to the proper functioning of the ENTIRE GALAXY. Think: they live in a world where superheroes are less common than they are in the mainstream DC Universe's timeline. It's WEIRD.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri May 04, 2018 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Evolvo Lad

Post by Jabroniville »

EVOLVO LAD (Sev Tcheru)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #324 (Sept. 1964)
Home Planet: Lallor
Origin of Powers: Parents Exposed to Atomic Radiation
Eras: Original, Reboot (member of Workforce)
Relationships: None
Role: Shapeshifter
PL 9 (99)
STRENGTH
2/7 STAMINA 3/7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8/10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2/8 AWARENESS 2/4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Evolutionary Forms"

"Evolved Form"
Enhanced Intelligence 6 [12]
Enhanced Awareness 2 [4]
Reduced Strength -2 [-4]
Enhanced Skills 10: Expertise (Science) 4 (+12), Technology 6 (+14) [5]
Enhanced Advantages 3: Beginner's Luck, Jack-of-All-Trades, Inventor [3]

"Devolved Form" Morph 1 (Feats: Metamorph) [6]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Enhanced Stamina 4 (8)
Enhanced Fighting 2 (4)
Reduced Intelligence -4 (-8)
Reduced Awareness -1 (-2)
Reduced Presence -3 (-6)
Enhanced Skills 12: Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5), Intimidation 8 (+7) (6)
Enhanced Advantages 8: All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improvised Weapon, Startle (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Devolved Form +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (+10 Devolved, DC 18-20), Toughness +3 (+7 Devolved), Fortitude +6, Will +4 (+6 Evolved)

Complications:
Responsibility (Lallor)- The Heroes of Lallor still defend their world after ousting it's dictatorship government.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 7 (99)

-Evolvo Lad has the curious and unique ability to switch between two other forms- a Cro-Magnon-like super-strong form, and a giant-brained "evolved" smart form. This allowed him to be both a Team Smart Guy AND a Team Powerhouse, and offers a unique set-up- two sets of powers, which could be an Array (and were, in my original build), but I ended up going with Metamorph, giving him quite a few options for being such a cheaply-bought character. Which is really why you have to watch Metamorph VERY carefully- much like Invisibility or Summon, it's one of the most easily-broken powers in the game.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Beast Boy (Lallorian)

Post by Jabroniville »

BEAST BOY I (Ilshu Nor)
Created By:
Eras: Original, Reboot (one-shot)
Role: Shapeshifter
PL 10 (163)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 11 (+13)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Tracking

Powers:
"Animal Shapeshifting"
Shapeshift (Assumed Forms' Powers) 8 (Flaws: Limited to Animals) [56]
Morph 3 (Animal Forms) [15]
Comprehend 2 (Speak To & Understand Animals) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Field Snare +9 Area (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Outcast)- Ilshu relates more to animals than people- he once leads a revolt on a jungle world against the humans who were picking on them.
Responsibility (Lallor)- The Heroes of Lallor still defend their world after ousting it's dictatorship government.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 75 / Defenses: 11 (163)

-Beast Boy (unrelated to Garfield Logan) was an Animal Shapeshifter, and died relatively quickly- only a year and a half after he'd debuted. He rejected Lallorian society and lived out in the woods of a Jungle Planet, setting off a rebellion of animals, but died saving the life of a young girl he'd befriended. As a Shapeshifter, he's pretty pricey, but they're a tough crowd with a lot of options in fights.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

One of the most hamfisted 'prejudice is wrong, mmkay?' stories I've ever even heard about.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Thinking about it, this Beast Boy being able to transform into alien animals (looking at the pictures) regularly would make him even more versatile than the Titans Beast Boy, right? (though apparently he has turned into alien animals, but only rarely)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:15 pm One of the most hamfisted 'prejudice is wrong, mmkay?' stories I've ever even heard about.
"Ham-fisted' was pretty much par for the course in the era, but it was a message worth spreading.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

If Beast Boy was a Kryptonian- Mongr-El?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Gas Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey, isn't this the current writer of Black Panther?

GAS GIRL (Tal Nahii)
Created By:
Eras: Original, Reboot (one-shot)
Role: Side Character
PL 10 (138)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Gaseous Forms"
Insubstantial 2 (Feats: Precise) [11]
Flight 2 (4 mph) [4]

"Carbon Monoxide" Suffocation 10 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) (44) -- [50]
  • AE: "Smoke" Concealment 3 (Visuals & Scent) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Attack, Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (19)
  • AE: "Sleep Gas" Affliction 10 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Cumulative) (34)
  • AE: "Hallucinogenic Gas" Affliction 10 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Random Acts) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable, Cumulative) (34)
  • AE: "Stinging Gas" Dazzle Visuals 10 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (24)
  • AE: "Corrosive Gas" Weaken Toughness 10 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) Linked to Damage 5 (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (38)
  • AE: "Invisible Gas" Concealment 4 (Visual Senses, Scent & Hearing) (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Field Snare +9 Area (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Impetuous)- Tal often gets into trouble by over-doing it or leaping into the fray.
Vulnerable (Certain Chemical Combinations)- While in Gas-Form, Tal is vulnerable to whatever combinations might interact with her current form's chemical make-up. If she is sprayed with oxygen while in Hydrogen Form, she will turn into water, for example.
Vulnerable (Wind, Certain Energy Types)- In gaseous form, Tal can be blown away or affected by certain types of energy (like lightning, sonic booms, or certain radioactive elements).

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 65 / Defenses: 12 (138)

-Gas Girl has the unique ability to take the forms of various Gases- I copied bits and pieces from my build of Vapor and some of the Elements of Doom to create her- she's a pretty good PL 10 competitor with some unique powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.