Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: Jab's Builds! (Emerald Empress! Mano! Tharok! Persuader! Validus!)

Post by Davies »

I hate to say it, but I actually don't think you went far enough, and that his Pre-Crisis version should probably have Immunity 80 (Toughness), Limited to Half Effect.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

This would be my version of Doomsday if i had control of that universe.Instead of the origin we got,Darkseid had cloned the infant(Perfectly plausible,as he's done it in the past),creating 2 supermonsters,Validus and Doomsday.He then sends the first after the Legion and sends the second back in time to Krypton, knowing that they'll experiment on him and wipe out any trace of his involvment.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

In a recent issue of Scooby-Doo Team-Up (which is a series that I found surprisingly charming and well written) they played up Validus as having "the psyche of an infant", hence making him kind of semi-sympathetic innocent monster, rather than an unthinking killing machine. I have to say that I kind of dig that angle.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 pm I hate to say it, but I actually don't think you went far enough, and that his Pre-Crisis version should probably have Immunity 80 (Toughness), Limited to Half Effect.
Toughness +27 is higher than almost any number I've ever given for a "recurring" character and not a Cosmic Being. I felt like that was enough :).
Ken

Re: Validus

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:18 pm ImageImage
One of these is the scariest creature I've ever seen on these boards....
Last edited by Ken on Sun May 06, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
scc

Post by scc »

Nice to see the Pre-Crisis version of Validus. I always liked his design for some reason. Though you don't see it much he was able to fly and had some sort of mental static that made him immune to telepathy but not mind control. . Not sure about other mental effects.

*Just noticed he had space travel. I saw him fly within a planet's atmosphere as well.
Jabroniville

Mordecai

Post by Jabroniville »

"My idea with Mordecai was to make him a self-pitying brute. He viewed himself as a victim of all sort of cruelties while at the same time feeling no sympathy for the victims of the violence and death he was dealing, which he always felt was justified. He longed for the attentions of an attractive female, hence his attempt to turn Gossamer into his own little bird in a gilded cage in "Legionnaires #3". He seemed to see himself as the tortured hero in kind of a “Beauty and the Beast” story, though Gossamer somehow proved quite impervious to his charms."
-Tom Bierbaum

MORDECAI
Created By:
Mary & Tom Bierbaum & Chris Sprouse
First Appearance: Legionnaires #2 (May 1993)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Experimentation by The Dominators
Eras: Original Only
Role: Dumb Monster
PL 11 (97)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 16 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Intimidation 14 (+11, +14 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
Power-Lifting 4 (25,000 tons) [4]
Impervious Toughness 15 [15]
Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +16 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +4

Complications: 
Relationship (Gossamer)- Mordecai falls for the pretty Ayla Ranzz at first sight.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 19 (97)

-Mordecai is the replacement for Validus on the new Fatal Five. He was an experiment created by the Dominators when they had taken over the Earth, and he's ALSO a slow-witted behemoth. He was living in the sewers beneath Metropolis when he was discovered by Leviathan & Gossamer (Light Lass), kidnapping the latter and doing the "King Kong" thing where he falls in love with her. She is rescued by the Legion, but the Fatal Five runs off with Mordecai as their new powerhouse.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I think they fouled up Mordecai,as they tried to keep him a classic villian but give him a Victimization complex....
Jabroniville

Flare

Post by Jabroniville »

FLARE (Ray Sah)
Created By:
Paul Levitz & Greg LaRoque
First Appearance: Legion of Super-Heroes #24 (July 1986)
Home Planet: Rimbor
Role: Flying Blaster
PL 9 (132)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Thief) 9 (+9)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 4 (+9)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Fire Generation"
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Fire Blast 9 (Feats: Split) [19]
Fire Aura 5 [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blasts +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Fire Aura +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Greed)- Ray has been a thief for as long as she can remember, and has had to find a way on her own.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 11 (132)

-Ray Sah was a mutant on Rimbor (Ultra Boy's crime-ridden world), who used her powers to help her steal, since she was abandoned as an orphan. Initially, she was just a thief in the Legion's book, but the Bierbaums included her as part of the new Fatal Five when the Emerald Empress went out looking for recruits. She lost, and has basically vanished, despite having a pretty good "Fire Chick" design. Being a smoking black girl in a bikini-costume helps.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Alyways loved Validus as a bad guy, from the unique look to the fact that he was just about the only villain allowed to be legit stronger than Pre-Crisis Superboy. And not just stronger, so overwhelmingly strong that you needed multiple Kryptonian-class powerhouses to even hurt him. And that design is just awesome.

It was so weird seeing Validus Post-Crisis, where he was portrayed as MUCH weaker, to the point where a giant Violet and Ferro once KOed him with a double shot. Seemed like they missed the entire point of the character.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ares wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:32 am Alyways loved Validus as a bad guy, from the unique look to the fact that he was just about the only villain allowed to be legit stronger than Pre-Crisis Superboy. And not just stronger, so overwhelmingly strong that you needed multiple Kryptonian-class powerhouses to even hurt him. And that design is just awesome.

It was so weird seeing Validus Post-Crisis, where he was portrayed as MUCH weaker, to the point where a giant Violet and Ferro once KOed him with a double shot. Seemed like they missed the entire point of the character.
Quite true. I think in the original DC RPG, Validus had a strength of like 58, off the chart, whereas Superman hit the top of the chart at 50, Mon-El 48 and Ultraboy 44.

Validus' telepathy is called mental lightning and is sometimes shown as looking like it.

Definitely would take multiple high level Legionnaires to defeat him.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

original WEG Dc Superman was a 25 strength Doomsday a 27

Top end was 28-30+ range being the ralm of Cosmic Entities like the anti-monitor and the like.

Vlidus is listed as strength 19

Ultraboys listed around 21 and Mon-Els a safe bet for about the same listing 21
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Caress

Post by Jabroniville »

CARESS (Chi Tsan)
Created By:
Paul Levitz & Greg LaRoque
First Appearance: Legion of Super-Heroes #25 (Aug. 1986)
Home Planet: Rimbor
Role: Assassin
PL 9 (133)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Space Assassin) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Hide in Plain Sight, Ranged Attack 4, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Acid Touch" Damage 5 (Extras: Secondary Effect) Linked to Weaken Toughness 6 (Extras: Affects Objects) [22]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Acid Touch +12 (+5 Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 20 & 16)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Greed)- Caress kills for money.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 8 (133)

-Caress was an assassin who left Earth in search of challenges, and had herself genetically modified by Khund science so that she could exude acid from her fingertips. This drew the attention of the Emerald Empress, and so she joined her new Fatal Five. She was defeated by the Legion of Super-Heroes, and has mostly disappeared since then.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

catsi563 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:56 am original WEG Dc Superman was a 25 strength Doomsday a 27

Top end was 28-30+ range being the ralm of Cosmic Entities like the anti-monitor and the like.

Vlidus is listed as strength 19

Ultraboys listed around 21 and Mon-Els a safe bet for about the same listing 21
The 1992 Legion of Superhero Sourcebook (which has frickin LOBO on the cover, ugh) was set during the 5 Years Later/SW6 Era, and has:
  • Lar and Laurel Gand's strength both at 23
  • Pocket Universe Superboy at 25
  • Ultraboy at 22
Their Who's Who books released between 1992 and 1993 lists:
  • Big Barda with a 11
  • Captain Atom with a 22
  • Captain Marvel with a 20
  • Darkseid with a 22
  • The Daxamite people as having an average 26 Str
  • Despero with a 20
  • Dev-Em (Daxamite version) as a 27 normally, but due to lead poisoning was reduced to a 24
  • Etrigan the Demon as a 10
  • Kalibak as a 21
  • Kent Shakespeare with an 11
  • Laurel with a 23
  • Lobo with a 16
  • Martian Manhunter with an 18
  • Nightgirl with a 20
  • Orion with a 22
  • Power Girl's normal Str as a 22
  • Superman with a 25
  • Timber Wolf's base form with an 18
  • Ultraboy with a 24
  • Wonder Woman with a 16
Which just goes to show that, much as I love the old Mayfair DC Heroes RPG in terms of a playable game, it's write-ups were very wonky. Captain Atom is stronger than Captain Marvel, who is that much weaker than Superman? Timber Wolf is stronger than Wonder Woman, who is almost 9 ranks below Superman? Ultraboy is stronger than Mon-El?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Mentalla

Post by Jabroniville »

MENTALLA (Deyla Castil)
Created By:
Paul Levitz & Steve Lightle
First Appearance: Legion of Super-Heroes #14 (Sept. 1985)
Home Planet: Titan (Moon of Saturn)
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Eras: Original only
Role: "The Mole", Tragic Heroine
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 6 (+9)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack

Powers:
"Titanian Physiology"
"Telepathy" Mental Communication 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area) Linked to Mind-Reading 8 (Feats: Subtle, Sensory Link) (Extras: Effortless) (46) -- [56]
  • Mind Control 7 (Feats: Dynamic, Mental Link, Subtle 2) (Extras: Insidious) (39)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Stun" Affliction 7 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Blast" Blast 8 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle) (Extras: Perception Range, Will Save) (25)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telelocation" Senses 5 (Mental Detection- Extended 4) (Feats: Dynamic) (6)
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion (Visuals) 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Selective) (Flaws: Phantasms) (19)
"Mental Shield" Enhanced Will Save 4 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Mental Attacks) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mind-Reading -- (+11 Perception-Ranged Reading, DC 21)
Mind Control/Mental Stun -- (+7 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Mental Blast -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Joining the Legion of Super-Heroes)- Mentalla so desires to join the Legion, that she's willing to do almost anything. Even infiltrate the Fatal Five.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 8 (117)

-Mentalla is yet another female Titanian, and sought to gain Legion membership. As Saturn Girl was then off the team to raise her child, she felt this was the best opportunity- however, she was stunned when they chose the more versatile Tellus instead, and the Legion told her that her powers were redundant and "unnecessary" in those circumstances. She was referred to the Legion Academy, however, as she'd gotten to the final round of eliminations. The disappointed Mentalla had no love for this idea, however, as she'd ALREADY been in training for years- she decided to make like Bouncing Boy, and impress everyone enough to gain membership.

-Unwisely, she chose to infiltrate the new Fatal Five. Faking embitterment over her rejection, she tricked the villains into accepting her. However, when it appeared that Legionnaires would be immediately killed, she showed her hand, and the Empress brutally murdered her. Her psychic "deathcry" carried for several light years, bringing agony even to Saturn Girl, who was on a different planet, but she managed to stall the Empress and lead the Legion reinforcements to the battlefield, saving the day.

-Mentalla's powers were well below those of Saturn Girl, Saturn Queen or Esper Lass, but allow her to use small, subtle tricks, like getting someone to press a button without realizing it, or making them think she'd moved when she hadn't. So basically, less power; more subtlety. Her combat training was extremely lacking, however- she avoided pitched battles wherever she could, and didn't last long once engaged.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.