World of Freedom 3.2 - Whatever Comes To Mind

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: World of Freedom 3.2 - Freedom Legion Members! And Enemies! The Old Guard!

Post by Davies »

Dr. Silverback

The 1980s were a time of wild experimentation by the mad scientists of the DNAscendant Project. Some of the most remarkable work done involved the creation of anthropomorphic animal species, intended to serve as a slave army by people who thought this was a better idea than cloning human soldiers or building a robot military, for whatever reason. "Whatever reason", in the case of Phillipe Moreau, was to demonstrate the validity of the theories of his ancestor, Henry Moreau, about whose island H.G. Wells wrote the eponymous novel. Ironically, it seems that this obsession had nothing to do with his actual ancestry, as the recently discovered diaries of Henry Moreau's only child, Juliet James née Moreau, reveal that he was not her biological father.

Be that as it may, the modern Moreau set up shop in Scotland, purchasing a variety of animals from poachers, and experimenting on them to create human-level intellects, humanoid hands, speech, and upright posture. His most significant success was the modification of a young gorilla into a more human-like form, and the awakening of an intellect almost equal to Moreau's own! In fact, it was an intellect considerably greater than Moreau's own, but that would not become apparent for a while, as the gorilla was still untutored, though he quickly learned to not overshine the Maker. That was The Law.

However, all this meddling in God's domain proved rather expensive, and the Labyrinth only provided just so much funding. Needing more, Moreau developed the ingenious and novel notion of sending his creations to rob banks in London. (It was at this point that the gorilla decided that not only was he smarter than the Maker, but also that was not really much of a boast.) They returned pursued by the London Watch, who prepared to do battle with the animal-men. And it was at this point that the gorilla decided to hell with The Law, knocked Moreau unconscious with one swift blow, and then ran out into the midst of the animal-men army with the news that the Maker had ordered them to surrender. So they did.

The United Kingdom's judicial system was left with a bit of a puzzle on their hands. The best witnesses to Moreau being the mastermind behind the crimes were all beings who had no legal status to testify. However, the young gorilla had made a number of friends among the members of the London Watch, who were friends themselves with some of the best lawyers in the country. Eventually, a legal ruling was made recognizing that the creations of Phillipe Moreau, or moreaus, for short, constituted a new sapient species which should enjoy all the protections and legal rights of human beings. Moreau was duly sent to jail, where he has remained for the last thirty years, as the Labyrinth viewed his level of failure as too pathetic to merit either rescue or execution.

Doctor Silverback, as he came to be known, continued his education at Cambridge, always quietly looking out for the rest of the animal-men. He published many papers in many disciplines, and made a great deal of money from his patents. Ultimately, as public opinion in the United Kingdom turned against his people (as it did against most minorities), he and the other leaders of the moreaus decided to transplant the colony to an island they purchased in the southern Pacific, ironically the same one occupied by Henry Moreau roughly a hundred years before. Silverback joined them for a time, but found that he missed human civilization. So he bid his people farewell, and traveled to America.

Over the next three decades, Doctor Silverback served as a frequent scientific and medical consultant to various groups of superheroes, most notably the Freedom League. Believing that he was in no way qualified to engage in crime-fighting, he always turned down offers of membership from these teams, but was also always willing to pitch in and lend a helping hand, or foot, during disasters. His charming sense of humor and joie de vivre made him very popular in the superhuman community.

When Doctor Simian made his debut in 1999, Silverback's heart broke a little. His research confirmed that the other gorilla had been "evolved" using techniques clearly derived from Moreau's work, and with as little care for the safety or comfort of the test subjects. Silverback attempted to contact Simian, hoping that he might be able to reform the criminal genius and bring him around to a more human-friendly attitude. This didn't go anywhere, but Simian treated his fellow uplift with politeness and courtesy, leaving Silverback with hope that things could change.

That came to an end in 2009, when Dr Simian, frustrated by the failures he'd endured with the Crime League, used a device of his own creation to "turn off" Silverback's enhanced intellect, reverting him to an animal mentality. He then posed as Silverback, returned to the island of the moreaus, and attempted to turn them into an army. Fortunately, the de-brained Silverback escaped from captivity and managed to stumble into the care of Daedelus, who restored his mind and then helped him to prevent the moreaus from launching an attack against Hong Kong. Silverback nearly murdered Simian when they came to blows.

Later, he would be horrified at what he'd done, but the anger at Dr. Simian has never gone away. Neither has his newfound fear of the possible consequences of his loss of intelligence. He has also begun to wonder about his lifespan -- he has already lived as long as a typical gorilla does, but doesn't seem to be dying of old age. Did Moreau also grant him a human's lifespan? It's not like the man will answer his questions.

With all this on his mind, he was somewhat distracted by yet another offer of membership from a team of superheroes, this time one that was just coming together. Initially, he was inclined to give Ray Gardner yet another polite refusal, but listening to the man talking about how this team would bring together people with decades of experience in hopes that they could use the weight of those years to guide younger superheroes resonated with him. Silverback had been doing the same thing for more than twenty years. Perhaps it was time for a change in the way that he did things.

And so he joined the Old Guard as their technological expert and official physician. In the process, he learned about Slipstream's condition. The morality of not telling the rest of the team about the situation bothers him, but he regards patient confidentiality as an important part of his professional ethics. For now, he's trying to give the Parousian the best covert medical care he can manage, and hopes to persuade him to settle down when the pain becomes unbearable. The possibility that he's looking at his own future disturbs him more than a bit ...

Dr. Silverback -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 6 | STA 6 | AGL 3 | DEX 4/1 | FGT 9/3 | INT 10/-4 | AWE 8/1 | PRE 4/-1
Powers: Goggles That Do Something (Senses 6 [analytical visual senses, infravision, microscopic vision 2, ultravision]; Removable), Large Ape (Feature [prehensile feet]; Permanent Innate Growth 4; Senses 2 [acute scent, low-light vision]), Super-Brains (Enhanced Advantages 8 [Eidetic Memory, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4], Enhanced Awareness 7; Enhanced Dexterity 3; Enhanced Fighting 6; Enhanced Intellect 14; Enhanced Presence 5)
Advantages: Agile Feint, Close Attack, Connected, Eidetic Memory, Improved Initiative 2, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4.
Skills: Acrobatics 10 (+13), Athletics 9 (+15), Expertise: Science 8 (+18), Insight 4 (+12), Perception 6 (+14), Persuasion 7 (+11), Technology 8 (+18), Treatment 6 (+16).
Offense: Initiative +11, Unarmed +10 (Close Damage 6).
Defense: Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 7, Toughness 6, Will 9/2.
Totals: Abilities 14 + Powers 101 + Advantages 5 + Skills 29 + Defenses 12 = 161 points
Complications: Responsibility--Motivation. Enemy (Dr. Simian). Prejudice (ape). Fear (losing his super-brains).
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I like the good Dr.! It's always nice to have a counterpoint to the "Evil Intelligent Ape-man" that spring up.....
Also neat that he reminds me of Beast from X-Men. :)
Shock

Post by Shock »

Davies wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 am
Goggles That Do Something
:D
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am Also neat that he reminds me of Beast from X-Men. :)
Exactly what I was going for, specifically aiming for a happy medium between insanely-fun-loving-Avengers Hank and very-solemn-Kelsey-Grammer Hank.
Shock wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am
Well, he's always wearing them in his pictures and they're never on his character sheet, Gadget Pool or no Gadget Pool. :lol:
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am I like the good Dr.! It's always nice to have a counterpoint to the "Evil Intelligent Ape-man" that spring up.....
Also neat that he reminds me of Beast from X-Men. :)
With so many ersatz of Grodds about, it’d be nice to have one of Solovar every now and then.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Archer

Bolt: You know, since I'm using an alias from the post-war era, maybe you should too. You could call yourself the Black Bowman.

Archer: ... or I could not, and you could never make a suggestion like that ever again.
The course of events by which the original outlaw hero of the Iron Age became a member of a group dedicated to the ideals of the Bronze Age is a bit dizzying even to him. A fugitive once again after the death of Harriet Wainwright and the exposure of certain activities at Project Freedom, Ethan Keller spent five and a half years in the underground and on the run. Not until months after the downfall of Jonathan Grant did he surface, contacting Ray Gardner under the misapprehension that the man was still Captain Thunder, in hopes of receiving some assistance in surrendering to the authorities in a way that wouldn't result in his immediate death.

Bolt and the Old Guard guaranteed his safety, and Keller was tried for his role in Wainwright's machinations. Testimony from a number of former and present members of Project Freedom confirmed that he had been at best a reluctant assistant to the Director, rather than the mastermind that the prosecution tried to portray. He was found not guilty of the most serious charges against him, and sentenced to community service for the lesser ones. Keller expected to end up in Project Freedom, but was informed that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to place someone with no superhuman abilities in that program. Instead, the judge took the unusual step of assigning him to Ray Gardner as his probation officer, to complete his community service as a member of his new team.
Archer: Tell me you didn't set this up somehow.

Bolt: I was as surprised as you were. <pause> I think Beaumont might have --

Archer: <nothing printable>
So Keller has picked up his bow once more, and started using some trick arrows that Doctor Silverback was nice enough to build for him. (Yes, a super-genius ape constructs his weaponry. No wonder Archer gets headaches from time to time.) Despite his frequently sour mood, he actually likes and respects his teammates, despite his ... somewhat adversarial relationship with Bolt. Keller knows that the other man won't violate his probation unless he actually does something extremely criminal, but he still finds it difficult to trust the man who is basically the embodiment of the notion that the era in which Keller flourished should never have happened at all. He also has an uncomfortable relationship with the current Bowman, whom he does his best to avoid, as well as the vigilante Lady Quarrel, who considers him a sell-out.

Nonetheless, he has to admit that he's doing what he loves again.

Archer -- PL 8

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 2 | AGL 4 | DEX 6 | FGT 9 | INT 1 | AWE 4 | PRE 2
Powers: Bow and Trick Arrows (Array: Ranged Damage 5, AP: Ranged Affliction 5 [Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated], AP: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 5 [Resisted by Fortitude; Visually Impaired, Visually Disabled, Visually Unaware], Limited to One Sense, AP: Ranged Affliction 5 [Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobile], Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees, AP: Cloud Area Ranged Concealment Attack 2 [normal sight]; Easily Removable)
Equipment: Sky Cycle (Size M, STR 4, Flight 6, Defense 10, Toughness 8) and 1 point of equipment as needed.
Advantages: Agile Feint, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 6, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (bow), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up.
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 8 (+10), Deception 8 (+10), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+9), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 8 (+10), Investigation 8 (+9), Perception 8 (+12), Ranged Combat: Bow 2 (+8), Sleight of Hand 6 (+12), Stealth 8 (+12), Technology 8 (+9), Vehicles 6 (+12).
Offense: Initiative +4, Unarmed +9 (Close Damage 2), Standard Arrow +11 (Ranged Damage 5, Crit 18-20), Taser Arrow +11 (Ranged Fortitude 5, Crit 18-20), Flashbang Arrow -- (Ranged Burst Area Fortitude 5), Net Arrow +11 (Ranged Affliction 5, Resisted by Dodge, Crit 18-20).
Defense: Parry 11, Dodge 12, Fortitude 7, Toughness 4/2, Will 8.
Totals: Abilities 58 + Powers 8 + Advantages 19 + Skills 47 + Defenses 19 = 151 points
Complications: Justice--Motivation. Reputation (killer). Rivalry (Bowman and Quarrel). Temper.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I bet Bolt&Calibur still try to talk him into using The Black Bowman handle from time to time......I would. :D
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:52 pm I bet Bolt&Calibur still try to talk him into using The Black Bowman handle from time to time......I would. :D
They're a bit better at picking up the "I'll quit this team and go to jail first" hints than you are.

Next up: A few of the Old Guard's villains, followed by a continuing examination of the fallout from the Master Mage's disappearance.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

So looking it over, the Old Guard are essentially the equivalent to both the JSA and the Outsiders?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:49 am So looking it over, the Old Guard are essentially the equivalent to both the JSA and the Outsiders?
More the former than the latter (but I can see the latter, now that you mention it) with more than a bit of the characters from the British TV series, New Tricks. Also, they're my way of addressing some of the problems I saw in the Silver Age Sentinels universe.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Alice, Queen of Hearts

There is a tendency, in the secret services of the United Kingdom, to keep trying the same thing over and over again. It's not so much that they don't learn from their mistakes as that they do, but in the process make new ones. This can be demonstrated by the way one branch of the services has been trying to recruit a certain vampire to do their bidding for more than a hundred years now, and it can also be demonstrated by the way another branch keeps fielding units of psychic spies. In the early seventies, this was known as Brigade Six. In the mid eighties, it was known as the Ghost Lions.

The youngest of the Ghost Lions was seventeen-year old Alice Kittering, who demonstrated remarkable talents with several of the normally distinct psychic powers. These were supplemented by extensive physical training, which she also took to like a duck to water. Where some of her colleagues were motivated by patriotism or greed, Alice was most driven by her enjoyment of being freed from the strictures of her dull, working class origins, and the opportunity to test her potentials to the limit. The fact that she saw way too much for a seventeen year old didn't bother her or her handlers.

And then it all came crashing down in 1987, when the program was exposed as being the private army of its head. Some of the operatives chose to surrender to the authorities. Not young Alice. No, she shot her way out, killing several of the police officers sent to arrest her, fleeing the country and disappearing into Europe's underworld. With her tradecraft and her powers, no one was going to find her unless she wanted them to. Clearly, the thing about not putting your trust in princes applied to prime ministers and lesser ministers as well. From that point on, Alice determined to follow only her own rules, not anyone else's.

She became one of the best paid and most effective assassins on the Continent, working for anyone and everyone, regardless of politics. She started going by the alias 'Queen of Hearts' after she decapitated a score of trade delegates in Holland on a job from Thule. While her missions didn't always go as smoothly as she would have liked, she never failed to complete her objective and make her exit. Things were going great -- no one could touch her.

And then she was hired to do a job in America, and that rotten bastard Slipstream thwarted her. Thwarted her. Thwarted her! She got away, like she always did, but the woman she'd been hired to kill was still sucking down air when all was said and done, and went on to testify against the people who were paying her. Alice did not get paid the back end of her fee. That would have been upsetting in and of itself, but someone had gotten in the way of her doing her job, and this made her just a tad bit unhappy.

So it was only natural for her to happily accept jobs that sent her up against Slipstream. (Discount? What's a discount?) She hoped that she would be able to put an end to the zippy weirdo, but not only did he evade her attempts to put an end to him, he kept preventing her from accomplishing her objectives, too. People were starting to talk about her in very uncomplimentary terms, saying that she'd lost her touch, or, worse, that she was voluntarily failing out of some perverse fascination with the bastard!

Finally, it happened. Alice was caught by the Freedom League in 1994, and unceremoniously packed off to jail. The British had the strongest claim on her, thanks to everything she'd done with the Ghost Lions, and so she was tried there, given multiple consecutive life sentences, and packed off to the United Kingdom's most secure anti-paranormal prison. Alice felt strangely calm about this. The fact that the authorities were pretending that they had to follow their own rules about someone like her suggested that someone thought she still might be useful. So she decided to wait.

She waited about twenty years. Then, sure enough, someone from one of the secret services came to offer her a job. She agreed to whatever they were offering, bided her time, and then made her escape. There was only one job that she was interested in doing. By this point, she no longer cared what happened to her as long as she could put an end to Slipstream. She found that he'd moved out of New York and down to Las Vegas, where it was fairly trivial to discover that his 'secret identity' was a teacher at UNLV. Alice began following her target in astral form, learning his routines, waiting to find the perfect moment to kill him.

She was watching when he agreed to join the Old Guard. She was watching when he met Doctor Silverback. And she was watching when the gorilla gave him the awful news. Alice exulted in the news that her nemesis was dying, and waited to see the despair she was sure she would witness on his face. Instead, she saw Slipstream take the news calmly, and talk about how he wanted to meet his end in battle rather than waiting peacefully for the end.

Something inside of Alice broke at that. If she killed him now -- and she couldn't just anonymously assassinate him, she needed him to know who was bringing him down -- she'd be giving him what he wanted, a heroic end to his story. But if she didn't act, he might die some other way, and then she'd be left with all this anger and nowhere to direct it. But -- but -- but -- butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut!

She returned to her body, stumbled to her feet, shambled out the door of her hiding place, and stared confusedly at the limousine parked outside the abandoned house. The window opened. "Hello, dear Alice. Are we having a bad day?" asked a familiar voice.

After a moment, Alice got in the limo.

Alice, Queen of Hearts -- PL 11

Abilities: STR 2 | STA 4 | AGL 4 | DEX 5 | FGT 11 | INT 1 | AWE 5 | PRE 2
Powers: Astral Projection (Remote Sensing 10 [visual, auditory, mental], Side Effect [body is defenseless and immobile]), Psychic Healing (Immunity 2 [aging, disease], Limited to half effect; Regeneration 2), Psychokinesis (Sustained Impervious Protection 7; Array: Perception Range Move Object 2, AP: Perception Range Damage 2), Telepathy (Mental Communication 2; Array: Concealment 10, Resistable by Will [DC 25], AP: Cumulative Mind Reading 5).
Equipment: Arsenal (Array: Ranged Multiattack Damage 5, AP: Ranged Burst Area Damage 5, AP: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 5 [Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; Impaired, Disabled, Unaware], AP: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction [Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated], AP: Ranged Damage 4, Accurate, AP: Strength-based Damage 1, Improved Critical) and 10 other points of equipment as needed.
Advantages: All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 6, Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Grabbing Finesse, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Jack of all Trades, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Seize Initiative, Startle, Tracking, Trance.
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Athletics 7 (+9), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise: Criminal 12 (+13), Insight 6 (+11), Intimidation 12 (+14), Perception 8 (+13), Ranged Combat: Guns 5 (+10), Sleight of Hand 8 (+13), Stealth 8 (+12), Technology 8 (+9), Vehicles 8 (+13).
Offense: Initiative +12, Unarmed +11 (Close Damage 2), Knife +11 (Close Damage 3, Crit 19-20), Assault Rifle +16 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 5), Heavy Pistol +18 (Ranged Damage 4), Mini-Grenade -- (Ranged Burst Area Damage 5), Flash-Bang --(Ranged Burst Area Affliction 5, Resisted by Dodge), Gas Grenade -- (Ranged Cloud Area Fortitude 5), Pyrokinesis -- (Perception Range Damage 2).
Defense: Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 7, Toughness 11/4, Will 15.
Totals: Abilities 68 + Powers 70 + Advantages 33 + Skills 48 + Defenses 20 = 239 points
Complications: Psychopathy--Motivation. Hatred (Slipstream). Enemy (British intelligence).

Next: Janus.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Shock wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 am
Ed. Zachary!
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Davies wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:57 pm Alice, Queen of Hearts
She returned to her body, stumbled to her feet, shambled out the door of her hiding place, and stared confusedly at the limousine parked outside the abandoned house. The window opened. "Hello, dear Alice. Are we having a bad day?" asked a familiar voice.
Mr. Infamy?
Davies

Post by Davies »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 pm
Davies wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:57 pm Alice, Queen of Hearts
Mr. Infamy?
Janus. Different vector of equally bad.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Davies wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:30 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:52 pm I bet Bolt&Calibur still try to talk him into using The Black Bowman handle from time to time......I would. :D
They're a bit better at picking up the "I'll quit this team and go to jail first" hints than you are.

Next up: A few of the Old Guard's villains, followed by a continuing examination of the fallout from the Master Mage's disappearance.
So between Project Freedom, the ramifications of the office of Master Mage being unoccupied, AND a certain code-name you used for a villain in the last few posts, are trying to you ruin the anticipation for ALL my upcoming official GR releases? LOL.

All my best.