Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Infinite Man

Post by Jabroniville »

THE INFINITE MAN (Jaxon Rugarth)
Created By:
Paul Levitz & James Sherman
First Appearance: Superboy & The Legion of Super-Heroes #233 (Nov. 1977)
Home Planet: Earth
Eras: Original Only
Role: Time-Travelling Villain

-The Infinite Man was created when he was a scientist working for Rond Vidar, and volunteered to be sent forward in time to prove one of Vidar's theories. Unfortunately, Something Goes Wrong, and the man's mind snapped from the strain of going through so many timelines and dimensions at once. Now drawing energy from the flowing of time itself, he changed his name and attacks Vidar. He plucks creatures from various timelines to fight the Legion, but Vidar manages to sabotage the "Hyper Time Drive", sending him back into an endless circle through time.

-He returns during the Crisis on Infinite Earths, where the power surge from that event draws him forth again. The White Witchs "Ass-Pull Magic" saves the day in this case, and Rugarth is de-powered and sent to Medicus One to heal his fractured mind. He reappeared when Brainiac 5 needed to stop the Time Trapper- Brainy re-energizes Rugarth, turning him back into the Infinite Man, who attacks the Time Trapper, and drags him into the timestream, where they still grapple at the Dawn of Time.

-An unstattable "whatever", the Infinite Man is "the incarnation of time" as an endless cycle. He can Time Travel, move people around time (typically, this is either a Time Travel Attack or a Summon effect), or just shoot energy beams.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Validus! C. Superman! Computo! Mordru! Universo!)

Post by Spectrum »

So a before the Beyonder Beyonder?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Spectrum wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 am So a before the Beyonder Beyonder?
The original Beyonder wae conceived as a sentient universe, and thus more powerful than any being in 616, since by extension even Eternity is just a part of this universe, along with Death, Infinity and Oblivion.

The Infinite Man is more like Marvel's Kronos, a guy who was sent into the timestream via accident and becamw essentially the embodiment of time.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 am
Spectrum wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 am So a before the Beyonder Beyonder?
The original Beyonder wae conceived as a sentient universe, and thus more powerful than any being in 616, since by extension even Eternity is just a part of this universe, along with Death, Infinity and Oblivion.

The Infinite Man is more like Marvel's Kronos, a guy who was sent into the timestream via accident and becamw essentially the embodiment of time.
He and the Beyonder do, however, pontificate similarly.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

In DC, a cosmic entity known as Kismet sort of fulfills the same role as Marvel’s Eternity.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The DC Universe also contains the Endless, who are probably closer to Marvel’s Eternity in raw power. Kismet is the living embodiment of the universe itself, but she’s only about as power as any of the Elders of the Universe... The Endless, on the other hand, are pretty much more powerful than anything.

(And they may also exist in the Marvel Universe... or at least Death does.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Stargrave, in his first appearance, punched Superboy out of the battle and was slinging around energy blasts on par with Wildfire. The “father of Brainiac 5” bit was the big end-of-issue reveal. Unfortunately in those days I bought my comics at the grocery store, so I never saw the second part.

The Charr Burrane version of Starfinger is “my” Starfinger, and I actually thought he was a pretty credible second-tier threat for the Legion. I mean, he’s basically a 30th century version of a Gotham crime boss. Complete with Sinister Sidekicks. Also I dig the star-cape.
Last edited by Jack of Spades on Thu May 10, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:16 am The Endless, on the other hand, are pretty much more powerful than anything.

(And they may also exist in the Marvel Universe... or at least Death does.)
In the Marvel Universe, they're the Friendless: Eternity, Enmity, Entropy, Epiphany, Expediency, Empathy, Eulogy. Or so Peter David says.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Peter David would know. He didn’t just write it, he was at the wedding.

(Also, I love how superheroes used to just wear a tuxedo over the top of their regular costume. Steve looks adorable.)
Jabroniville

The Time Trapper

Post by Jabroniville »

THE TIME TRAPPER (aka Ty. M. Master, Time Master)
Created By:
Robert Kanigher (Time Master), Edmont Hamilton (Time Trapper)
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #317 (Feb. 1964- Time Trapper), Wonder Woman #101 (Oct. 1958- Ty. M. Master)
Home Planet: xxxxxx
Eras: Original & Reboot
Role: Plot Hole Fixer/Creator
PL 17 (345)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 6 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 10 (+14)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 4 (+12)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+12)
Expertise (Space Traveller) 8 (+16)
Expertise (History) 16 (+24)
Insight 4 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 6 (+12)
Persuasion 3 (+8)
Technology 6 (+14)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10, Well-Informed, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Ageless Wonder"
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
"Time Goes On" Immortality 10 [20]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Movement 6 (Space Travel 3, Dimensional Travel 3) [12]

"Master of Time"
Immunity 2 (Effects of Time) [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Space) [2]
"Slow Enemies" Affliction 17 (Strength/Speed Rank; Dazed, Fatigued & Hindered/Stunned, Immobile & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Extras: Extra Condition +2, Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Selective) (Flaws: Instant Recovery) (114) -- [123]
  • AE: "Slow Enemy" Affliction 17 (Strength/Speed Rank; Dazed, Fatigued & Hindered/Stunned, Immobile & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Extras: Extra Condition +2, Perception Range +2, Selective) (Flaws: Instant Recovery) (97)
  • AE: Teleport 18 (Feats: Increased Mass 10- 25 tons) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (82)
  • AE: "Age People & Objects" Weaken Toughness 18 (Extras: Affects Objects, Progressive +2, Ranged) (90)
  • AE: "Speed Himself Up" Quickness 18 Linked to Speed 18 (500,000 mph) (36)
  • AE: "Time Portal" Movement 3 (Time Travel 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 10) (Extras: Portal +2) (22)
  • AE: "Send Through The Ages" Movement 3 (Time Travel 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 10) (Extras: Attack 17, Perception Range +2 on 17 ranks) (67)
  • AE: "Astral Form" Remote Sensing 20 (Visuals & Hearing) (Feats: Dynamic, Dimensional) (62)
  • AE: Mind Control 11 (44)
  • AE: Move Object 12 (24)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Send Through The Ages -- (+17 Perception Ranged Movement Attack, DC 27)
Age People & Objects +12 (+18 Ranged Weaken, DC 28)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +6, Fortitude +10, Will +12

Complications:
Enemy (The Legion of Super-Heroes)
Enemy (Mordru)
Motivation (Power)- Glorith wishes to rule the universe.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 64--32 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 186 / Defenses: 27 (345)

-UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I've been dreading this one. Even READING about him.

-So basically, this is what happens when you take someone like Kang the Conqueror and add in 90 different writers' ideas on what to do with a character, multiple editors trying to "fix" continuity, and then you F it all up with time travel. The Time Trapper is a Legion of Super-Heroes foe that was later attributed to being the same guy as a much earlier foe of Wonder Woman, which is why the other creators & First Appearances are up there. So yes, even THAT can't be simple with him.

-The Time Trapper is a robed warlord with a hidden face, hailing from the extremely distant future- his "Iron Curtain of Time" prevents even the Legion from going into their future, explaining why Time Travel only ever seems to work one way. In his first "Origin Story", he's revealed to be one of the Controllers, a fascist group that intended to make the universe more orderly- his threat is thought to be ended when he was mopped up by Darkseid and de-powered during The Great Darkness Saga. However, further wrinkles were added to his past, with possible origins having him be Cosmic Boy, Lori Morning, Superboy-Prime, the living embodiment of Entropy, or a sentient alternate timeline.

-When the MASSIVE problems for the Legion started up after the various "Crisis Retcons" circa 1986, chiefly the removal of Superboy from Kal-El's history, the Time Trapper was the ideal culprit to explain away why the Legion was still a thing. See, the Time Trapper forged an ALTERNATE TIMELINE in the past, and a Superboy living THERE was the one that the Legion teamed up with all those times! Easy, right? Never mind that the Crisis was intended to REMOVE all of these "Alternate Universes". Since Supergirl wasn't from the same timeline as Superboy, they had to create Laurel Gand to "replace" her in the stories- this same pocket universe also led to the creation of the Post-Crisis Supergirl (the "Matrix" of protoplasm). When the Time Trapper executed that Superboy, Brainiac 5 led a mission to kill him, against Legion regulations. The Infinite Man was used; his own time powers causing the Time Trapper to be sent with him into the Dawn of Time, leading to an eternal battle. During this battle, Duo Damsel's second body was killed, and Mon-El was rendered comatose.

-In "Five Years Later", the Trapper's essence was discovered in Mon-El's mind, but Mon-El then killed the Trapper in the pocket universe... which resulted in Mordru running unopposed, taking over much of the universe. Then Glorith, a one-off minion of the Trapper's from an earlier story, replaced the Trapper's place in history, and revealed that he'd actually engineered the creation of the Legion as a way to halt the rise of Mordru. Glorith eventually kills the Time Trapper, consuming him and replacing him entirely. He shows up again for whatever reason in Zero Hour, where he's killed by Parallax, but he reappears at the climax of the story, and is revealed to be... Cosmic Boy? Or Lori Morning. This kind of segues into the "Reboot" version of the Legion, where he remembers the past one, and points out that he's deliberately tried to separate Superman from the Legion many times, but has never succeeded. Even in modern stories, he appears, and he's made suggestions that the Batch SW6, "Reboot" and "Threeboot" Legions are all his creations. And then Geoff Johns revealed that he was SUPERBOY-PRIME, but SP bitches out and causes a fight, blowing up the Trapper and sending SP back to a recreated Earth-Prime. Brainiac 5 theorizes that the Trapper is in essence a "sentient timeline", and all of his various contradictory identities are the result of the flux of time itself.

-The nice thing about doing as many builds as I've done is that, when I hit a complicated build like this one... I can just change the titles and move some stuff around and copy an old build (in this case, Marvel's Kronos, the Cosmic Being who represents time) :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

My pet theory is that the Time Trapper is actually a gest cosmic entity that represents a universal concept, like the rest of the Endless. His “real name” begins with the letter E, which is why he doesn’t fit in with his siblings.

Embarrassment.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 am So many of these pictures have major nostalgia value for me, coming from old Who's Who collections.
Yeah, the pic for the Khunds is a big throwback, as I think my very first DC Comic was a Who's Who for the late "J", and early "K" characters. Leading to confusing the SHIT out of me with images of grey-haired Superman, mentions of Batman dying, and all sorts of stuff surrounding its Justice Society of America bio.

It did lead to a lifelong fandom of the Killer Moth, whose "green & purple outfit with orange-striped legs" I declared to be AMAZINGLY cool. Yes, really. Shut up.

I thought Kid Flash had one of the greatest costumes I'd ever seen (it still kicks ass), it made me know who Kid Devil was WAY before he became the Pet Character of Sean McKeever, and I thought Kamandi was REALLY stupid.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:50 am Stargrave, in his first appearance, punched Superboy out of the battle and was slinging around energy blasts on par with Wildfire. The “father of Brainiac 5” bit was the big end-of-issue reveal. Unfortunately in those days I bought my comics at the grocery store, so I never saw the second part.

The Charr Burrane version of Starfinger is “my” Starfinger, and I actually thought he was a pretty credible second-tier threat for the Legion. I mean, he’s basically a 30th century version of a Gotham crime boss. Complete with Sinister Sidekicks. Also I dig the star-cape.
What's funny about Stargrave is that I was literally about to post his "I got nothing; couldn't find a bio" build, when I realized I hadn't searched beyond Wikipedia, and found the stats indicating the "Punch Superboy off the planet" stuff, and a few other powers. So I just sighed and took about four minutes to give him a REAL build, leading to what you saw there :).
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Hoid wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:16 am In DC, a cosmic entity known as Kismet sort of fulfills the same role as Marvel’s Eternity.
And then you got this :P

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:16 am The DC Universe also contains the Endless, who are probably closer to Marvel’s Eternity in raw power. Kismet is the living embodiment of the universe itself, but she’s only about as power as any of the Elders of the Universe... The Endless, on the other hand, are pretty much more powerful than anything.
The problem with the Endless is that they might be more powerful than many other entities, but their own powers kind of limit them. Destiny is the most obvious case, his book and gardens represent any possible outcome of any conceivable action, yet he's not able to go against what is written in it except in really extraordinary circumstances. The general implication is that every Endless define one aspect of reality, but in doing so each one embodies also its opposite (i.e Destiny defines free will etc.) so their powers are actually self-limiting.
Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:16 am (And they may also exist in the Marvel Universe... or at least Death does.)
Totally non-canon, but I love it.

"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Those Super-Team Family covers are brilliant; I especially love how he’s actually managed to build up some narrative consistency over time with them (Beast Boy and Wolverine are related, Wildcat was Wolverine’s teacher, Punisher and Green Arrow are rivals, etc.)