Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Genis-Vell! Phalanx! Wolverine!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:52 am HJ: oh yeah, I meant the Gargantuas. Wasn't there a kaiju Frankenstein, too?
oh yeah, the Gargantuas actually were created from his cells...at least in the Japanese version. The U.S. version just called them Gargantuas and acted like they were original creatures.

Frankenstein, from Frankenstein Conquers The World, was the result of the heart of the original Frankenstein creature get irradiated and growing into a new form or being eaten by a homeless child and essentially altering his genes (the movie isn't very clear...at least the U.S. version isn't) before fighting Baragon
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:52 am HJ: oh yeah, I meant the Gargantuas. Wasn't there a kaiju Frankenstein, too?
Yes, that’s why he’s on my list.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:08 am
Oh, I see him now!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:38 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:08 am
Oh, I see him now!
He's 20 meters tall, I'd hope you'd be able to see him!
Jabroniville

Matsu'o

Post by Jabroniville »

Note to self: Do not piss off Wolverine.

MATSU'O TSURAYABA
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Marc Silvestri
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-men #255 (Dec. 1989)
Role: Criminal Kingpin, Star-Crossed Lover (with Kwannon/Revanche)
Group Affiliations: The Hand, The Yakuza
PL 7 (97)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+5)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Yakuza Gangster) 7 (+9)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (Elite Hand Leader), Contacts, Equipment (Katana), Improved Critical (Sword), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Equipment:
"Katana" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Katana +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Greed & Power)- Like most criminals, Matsu'o's primary motivation is about personal wealth, respect and power.
Relationship (Kwannon)- Matsu'o was desperately in love with Kwannon, the primary assassin for a rival, Lord Nyoirin. Her death utterly broke him.
Enemy (Wolverine)- Note to villains everywhere: don't kill Wolverine's love interests.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (97)

-Matsu'o is leader of The Hand, and part of the ludicrously-complicated Psylocke/Revanche storyline (one of those things that is an absolute BLAST to explain to non-comic book fans, reflecting the weirdness of the medium)- he was the lover of Kwannon, a ninja working for the rival, Lord Nyorin. He accidentally killed Kwannon while trying to kill Nyorin, and the heartbroken Matsu'o went to Spiral, who combined her DNA and brain-patterns with those of a comatose Betsy Braddock (who'd fallen through the Siege Perilous), putting most of Betsy's psyche in Kwannon's Japanese body (and vice-versa), as Kwannon's mind was shattered beyond all repair.

-Matsu'o, apparently pretty shallow despite the efforts he went through to save his love, was more into the "Kwannon" body, and abandoned the "Betsy" body (now named Revanche) to Lord Nyorin. He then trained Betsy into being Psylocke, and made her the top assassin for The Mandarin (who was now inexplicably in the X-Men book). However, Betsy's mind took hold fully, and she eventually abandoned her employers for the X-Men, becoming the ultimate "Miss Fanservice" superhero of the 1990s.

-Matsu'o spent the '90s as a minor character, often showing up as a "behind-the-scenes" kind of guy. He aided the Fenris Twins in reviving Omega Red, and then had to deal with the return of Kwannon (in Betsy's old body). EVENTUALLY, after one of the most bizarre, confusing stories in comic book history, the truth was revealed behind his deception. He was forced to mercy-kill his old love as she was dying of the Legacy Virus- Psylocke refuses to kill him in turn; suggesting he become the man "Kwannon would have wanted".

-Matsu'o also became a Wolverine villain, and was used by a writer to murder Logan's bride-to-be Mariko Yoshida. This led to one of comics' best "Fitting Revenge" storylines, as Wolverine would slice off one part of Matsu'o's body with every passing year, on the anniversary of Mariko's death. By the end, Matsu'o was lacking an ear, nose, both hands, a gall bladder, and more. He was finally killed, but was immediately revived by The Hand, much to his chagrin- he wanted death more than a lifetime of waiting for Wolverine. When Logan prepares more punishment, Psylocke defends Matsu'o's honor, and engages in a brutal fight with her X-Men ally. Wolverine finally relents, allowing her to give Matsu'o the death he craved.

-All in all, he's more of a bizarre means to two ends than a major character on his own- aside from the "Kwannon" thing, he's not much different than any other crimeboss. What he HAS done, however, is change Psylocke forever (turning her from a purple-haired English Psychic into a Sexy Japanese Ninja Girl), and then killed Wolverine's "One True Love". It appears that various writers having worked on the character have done a number on him, as he's got a pretty back-and-forth kind of backstory.

-Matsu'o is a competent, but not otherworldly, martial artist, being very good with his hands and most weapons- at PL 7, he'd never stand a ghost of a chance against Wolverine, Psylocke, or any other elite, but he's decent enough to be dangerous to most Hand & Yakuza guys.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What made Matsu'o such an intresting character(at least to me) over other Wolverine baddies was the fact that he WAS a regular crimeboss that,while ultimately suffering from a fate worse than death IMHO,managed to do something only Sabertooth did(i'll note here that it was by Retcon,so shouldn't honestly count); Kill off a Wolverine love intrest and(Technically) live to brag about it......which got him into the vicious circle it did. ;)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’ve never been able to figure out why Matsu'o never became a red-smear on the Tokyo pavement courtesy of Captain Britain... Seems like Brian and Logan should have been taking turns beating the guy to a pulp.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:01 am I’ve never been able to figure out why Matsu'o never became a red-smear on the Tokyo pavement courtesy of Captain Britain... Seems like Brian and Logan should have been taking turns beating the guy to a pulp.
Considering what Brian did to the guy that blinded Betsy, it is sad that Brian never got in on the revenge either. I suppose it was:

A) The writers just didn't really consider it.

and

B) Betsy was comatose at the time, so in his own weird way, Matsuo helped bring her back from there, albeit in a different body.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’m kind of shaky on my knowledge of Marvel’s exact lineup titles in this period... Was Brian on the planet (or even in the Earth-616 dimension) when the whole thing went down?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:07 am I’m kind of shaky on my knowledge of Marvel’s exact lineup titles in this period... Was Brian on the planet (or even in the Earth-616 dimension) when the whole thing went down?
I'm not sure myself. It was the early 90s, so he might have been with Excalibur on any number of otherworldly adventures.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:10 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:07 am I’m kind of shaky on my knowledge of Marvel’s exact lineup titles in this period... Was Brian on the planet (or even in the Earth-616 dimension) when the whole thing went down?
I'm not sure myself. It was the early 90s, so he might have been with Excalibur on any number of otherworldly adventures.
Or this could have been in that odd period post-solo title and pre-Excalibur where he was off wandering the multiverse.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Odd- I think this is the most comments I've ever gotten revolving around Matsu'o. Like, that he gets more than ONE is a shocker. Usually I stat him up with the other Upstarts- possibly he was overwhelmed by all the greatness in that group.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:14 am
Or this could have been in that odd period post-solo title and pre-Excalibur where he was off wandering the multiverse.
Nope, at the time Brian was alive and on planet with the rest of Excalibur.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 am

Didn't he think she was dead along with the rest of the "outbackers" due to what happened in Dallas?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:01 am
Woodclaw wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 am

Didn't he think she was dead along with the rest of the "outbackers" due to what happened in Dallas?
I think so, but after the Shadow King defeat in 1991 (i.e. Claremont's last story) they were reunited and Brian had to deal with his sister's new looks and attitude.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)