Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Lady Deathstrike! The Reavers! Omega Red! Bloodscream!)

Post by greycrusader »

Good Lord, but Bloodscream (1990s EXTREEEME!!! much) looked absolutely ridiculous in those pics, more like a caricature of the WB cartoon Tasmanian Devil than a four-color comic book monster-it crossed the line from frightening to utterly stupid. Meanwhile, his partner Roughhouse was just this big, hairy guy in a cheap brown suit.

I remember the whole Storm/Yukio thing...was a little too young to pick up on the sexual innuendo of it all, but remember thinking it was just WILDLY out of character. I know Claremont gained a bit of a rep for writing some sexual fantasy stuff into his stories, and while there's nothing wrong with a little author-indulgence (of various kinds) in small does, totally derailing a very popular hero/villain for it just seemed way too much.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Roughouse

Post by Jabroniville »

ROUGHOUSE
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Buscema
First Appearance: Wolverine #4 (Feb. 1989)
Role: Classic '90s Villain, Powerhouse, Honorable Villain
PL 9 (119)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Asgard) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 9 (+10)
Perception 1 (+2)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Great Endurance, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Asgardian Physiology"
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]
Features 1: Increased Mass [1]
Immortality 17 (30 seconds) (Flaws: Limited to Weapons Forged By Man) [17]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude +12, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Despite being Asgard-born, Roughouse is just a simple mercenary, out for cash. He did the bidding of General Coy in Madripoor, but was fired for his repeated failures against Wolverine.
Enemy (Wolverine)
Responsibility (Honor)- Roughouse believes that human life has value, and has a certain sense of honor. Why he works for a dictator and tries to kill Logan is anyone's guess.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 10 (119)

-Roughouse is Bloodscream's buddy, and often appeared with him as a duo (maybe their Arching License against Wolverine was a "Paired" one? Though I guess Sabretooth called "dibs" on that years ago, and they were just renegade members of the Guild). He was a bit more honorable, and was actually shown to be a Part-Asgardian sent down to Earth for some reason in an interesting twist (Claremont seems to dig the Asgard stuff a lot for a guy who never actually got a Thor run). Not that bad as far as "Generic Big Lug" villains go.

-Roughouse has gotten very little characterization over the years- it's been implied that his long hair and beard are meant to cover up scars inflicted by his abusive father. The duo first encountered Logan while working for General Coy (Karma's uncle) in Madripoor, and fight "Patch" during their mission to assassinate Tyger Tiger, and become recurring foes. An annoyed Coy eventually "sells" Roughouse to the Nazi scientist Geist, where he's driven mad by a chemical concoction and sent after Wolvie again- Logan actually helps him once he figures out what's going on, and Roughouse stays with a "Sister Salvation" to help her rebuilt her mission, as she helped him overcome the problems the drugs had inflicted upon him.

-Years later, he & Bloodscream would be partnered up again, but he'd eventually split off as Bloodscream became more cannibalistic- Roughouse was often shown to have a personal code of honor, and would have rejected such things.

-Roughouse has the same Immortality to Metal-Forged Weapons that his partner does, making him a bit more dangerous a threat. He's a pretty standard PL 10 Powerhouse build, though, akin to a dumber Mister Hyde.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I see alot of Violator in Bloodscream....or versy vicey
Davies

Post by Davies »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:21 pm I see alot of Violator in Bloodscream....or versy vicey
The latter, given that Violator didn't appear until 1992. Meanwhile, I'm inclined to wonder whether this, as well as Lumley's Wamphyri, might have been an inspiration for some of the abilities of the Tzimisce vampires of Vampire the Masquerade.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

Re: Roughouse

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:18 pmResponsibility (Honor)- Roughouse believes that human life has value, and has a certain sense of honor. Why he works for a dictator and tries to kill Logan is anyone's guess.
A question that has been asked about many better men than he.

Well, not the kill Logan part, the answer to that is obvious.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'd personally love to see a face-turned Roughhouse take on Mister Hyde just to see what'd happen(especially if you add Old Man Logan in there trying to break 'em up)....:D
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Davies wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:24 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:21 pm I see alot of Violator in Bloodscream....or versy vicey
The latter, given that Violator didn't appear until 1992. Meanwhile, I'm inclined to wonder whether this, as well as Lumley's Wamphyri, might have been an inspiration for some of the abilities of the Tzimisce vampires of Vampire the Masquerade.
aha...i hadn't thought of that
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Has anyone ever seen Roughhouse and Brian Blessed in the same room as each other? Hmmm....
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Albert

Post by Jabroniville »

ALBERT
Created By:
Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri
First Appearance: Wolverine #37 (1991)
Role: Robot Duplicate
Group Affiliations: The Reavers
PL 8 (153)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+10)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Expertise (History) 8 (+14)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 8 (+14)

Advantages: 
Eidetic Memory, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Android Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
"Interface With Computers" Communication (Electronic) 2 [8]
"Computer Brain" Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [3]
"Robo-Legs" Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Senses 14 (Low-Light Vision, Extended Vision 5, Infravision, Acute Scent, Extended Scent 4, Tracking 2) [14]
"Scan on the Psi-Spectrum" Senses 5 (Mental Detection- Ranged 3, Acute) [5]

"Wolverine-Esque Claws" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Split, Penetrating 4) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerably (Magnetic, Electrical Attacks)- Being made of metal, Albert will take more damage from magnetic and electrical effects.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 80 / Defenses: 9 (153)

-You can tell Wolverine was becoming a bigger and bigger hit because they invented a regular character who looked just like him, and had the same powers, and starred in THE SAME BOOK. Despite me remembering them REALLY strongly, they probably didn't appear in that many comics- they just so happened to occupy space in the Wolverine title when my friend Robbie (who got me into comics) was gushing about it, and so I saw them constantly.

-Albert was pretty much usually seen hanging around with Elsie-Dee and being an excuse for Marc Silvestri to draw his favourite thing- guys with lots of stuff hanging off of them. He was originally called "Dummy", and was just a mindless automaton created by Donald Pierce and sent after Wolverine. However, he gained sentience from Elsie-Dee, immediately becoming her companion. He attempted to spare her from self-destruction by attacking Wolverine himself, but he was badly defeated, barely able to recover. Both characters decided to spare Logan when they saw his nobility, often aiding him from then on. They have pretty much vanished over the years, though- without Hama or Silvestri around to care about them, they don't get any use.

-He wasn't that much of a fighter, despite being a Robo-Logan, but he had all the bonuses that Elsie did, plus more powerful Senses and the Claws, making him pretty dangerous anyways.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Elsie-Dee

Post by Jabroniville »

And yes, that dialogue got old after a point.

ELSIE-DEE
Created By:
Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri
First Appearance: Wolverine #37 (1991)
Role: Kid Sidekick
Group Affiliations: The Reavers
PL 8 (68)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+10)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Eidetic Memory, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Android Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
"Interface With Computers" Communication (Electronic) 2 [8]
"Computer Brain" Quickness 6 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [3]
"Robo-Legs" Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Vulnerably (Magnetic, Electrical Attacks)- Being made of metal, Elsie-Dee will take more damage from magnetic and electrical effects.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 8 (68)

-Elsie-Dee was a character that bugged me back in the day- reading my friend Robbie's Wolverine comics, it was the big Hama arc featuring a tiny girl android (who had Elmuh Fudd Syndwome regarding her inability to pronounce "R"s correctly) and a Wolverine Android named Albert. Nowadays, knowing that Hama is the genius behind G.I. Joe and its comic series, I might have to take another look. But in any case, Elsie & Albert had a lot of adventures as background characters (though I recall her interacting with the real Wolverine very little), and eventually just kind of petered-out.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:50 pm Good Lord, but Bloodscream (1990s EXTREEEME!!! much) looked absolutely ridiculous in those pics, more like a caricature of the WB cartoon Tasmanian Devil than a four-color comic book monster-it crossed the line from frightening to utterly stupid. Meanwhile, his partner Roughhouse was just this big, hairy guy in a cheap brown suit.
Yeah, agreed. As a kid, I thought Bloodscream looked REALLY dumb.
I remember the whole Storm/Yukio thing...was a little too young to pick up on the sexual innuendo of it all, but remember thinking it was just WILDLY out of character. I know Claremont gained a bit of a rep for writing some sexual fantasy stuff into his stories, and while there's nothing wrong with a little author-indulgence (of various kinds) in small does, totally derailing a very popular hero/villain for it just seemed way too much.

All my best.
Artist Paul Ryan later confessed that the mohawk was just a REALLY ill-advised move, and is too funny and weird in retrospect. Making Storm look so "punk rock" felt off, and her personality never quite seemed to gel with it. The modern-day mohawked look, with the longer hair in the back, and a more glamorous outfit, REALLY worked a hell of a lot better.

But back then, it was pretty clear Claremont just liked that style- Rachel Summers, Rogue, Storm, Yukio and more were all sporting similar looks after a point, and his artists were pretty much along for the ride. It REALLY dates this era of the team.

Full credit for keeping Storm de-powered for as long as he did, though. How many writers would do that TODAY?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Honestly,i was never a fan of Albert,Elsie-Dee and "Puppy"(HTD).They just to be an excuse to bring Spiral into a time-travel thing with Wolverine(although it DID lead directly into the "Mariko dies" storyline,so it wasn't all bad)....
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:22 am
Has anyone ever seen Roughhouse and Brian Blessed in the same room as each other? Hmmm....
[raise hand]
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

John Wraith

Post by Jabroniville »

JOHN WRAITH (aka Kestrel)
Created By:
Larry Hama & Mark Texiera
First Appearance: Wolverine #60 (Sept. 1992)
Role: Supporting Character, Transport
Group Affiliation: Team X, The Weapon X Program
PL 8 (152)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+3)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+7)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Military Gear, Explosives- Precise), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Phase-Jumping"
Teleport 14 (Feats: Subtle, Increased Mass 5, Change Direction & Velocity) (Extras: Extended Range, Easy) [63]
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Explosives +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Trust No One)- John's house is a veritable death maze of booby traps- his time as part of Weapon X means he trusts nobody.
Secret (Everything)- John has a tendency to not let even his closest friends know he has an ability or skill until he absolutely needs to.
Responsibility (Morals)- John does not relish killing the way teammates like Sabretooth did, and only does so if he has to.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 10 (152)

-I always forget that Larry Hama wrote Wolverine for friggin' years back in the early '90s- I identity him so much with G.I. Joe, and am unfamiliar enough with his other work, that this uber-gritty '90s stuff is just easily-forgettable to me. Another wrinkle in Wolverine's gigantic history, John Wraith comes in as a Teleporter who was part of the Weapon X program- he had a tendency to use explosives in unique and interesting ways (as Hama was a Combat Engineer during the Vietnam War, I imagine he had some know-how in this regard), and habitually hid his capabilities from even his teammates unless it was absolutely necessary.

-He was a member of Logan's Team X as well, being riveted onto the backstory that introduced Maverick and Omega Red. His schtick was that he was a teleporter, but very paranoid- he refused to use his powers in front of others unless it was absolutey necessary.

-John reappeared in Logan's life upon discovering an issue with their "Age Supression" stuff (after a teammate named Mastodon disintegrated), and hung with his crew for a bit, getting involved with other guys like Maverick until he was nearly killed by Sabretooth. He showed up later as a preacher, and has to fight a Demon-Possessed "Hellverine"- he makes a good go of it, but he's slashed to death by Logan's claws, and can only watch helplessly as his parishioners are burned to death by the Demon. Because there is no job in the world as crappy as "Supporting Character in Wolverine".

-Like most Teleportation-themed guys, John is extremely expensive on points, but he's way out of his league against actual metahuman competition. He's great with shaped charges (able to set things up to blow in one specific direction- I threw Precise onto his explosives for this purpose), but his biggest tactic is to Teleport out of danger at the last second, usually bringing his teammates with him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

When I first read the original Hama run, I was ready to swear that Wraith was one of the coolest characters ever. Right now, he's still pretty damn interesting, but not as much.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)