Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Giant Robots, Scholars, Wilderness Scouts)

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha, holy shit- Kevin Siembieda's response to Bill Coffin and others taking him down: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?11 ... ost2366680

I like how one guy actually calls out the exact same issues I had with his Federation of Magic essay:
In your magic article in Federation of Magic, you explicitly compare anyone who doesn't agree with your vision of magic and play style to be a chest thumping monkey. You then go on to say you don't play RPGs anymore and that even you don't use the Palladium ruleset as printed.

I used to be a loyal Palladium customer. But that Federation of Magic essay made me feel as if the "family" that I invested so much time in didn't really care.
I'm actually oddly happy that somebody other than me noticed that weird rant and caught the "thumping his chest" remark as something specifically bizarre about it. Along with KS's infamous style of "You're NOT PLAYING THIS RIGHT!!!!" rant.

Huh- Wayne Breaux Jr. has a DeviantArt page. His anatomy is still buggered in a lot of points, and the number of Faves he gets is pretty small for a published artist, but he's definitely improved since his Rifts days. His White Queen & Dark Phoenix aren't bad. Most of the other stuff is pretty ugly, though.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

A short history of Palladium's lawsuits, as well as a very detailed list of past & present Palladium workers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showt ... id=3547622

Kevin Long's plagiarism of anime designs is new to me, but makes sense. You can find some side-by-side comparisons on some sites, and while it's not EXACT, it's pretty clear he's referencing pretty hard.

It wouldn't bother me so much- a big part of these games is emulation of other genres and shows, of course. Except... this is the company that crawls up the ass of anyone who even THINKS about posting conversions online! Who the frig is that concerned about their IPs & Copywrite Law when THAT is going unremarked upon?
Skaramine

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Giant Robots, Scholars, Wilderness Scouts, Borgs)

Post by Skaramine »

The Headhunter was my basis for my world's "Captain America/Wonder Woman" Armada.

The Headhunter, as played by 1992 Playmate Amanda Hope. (Later changed to Amanda T. Kirk. And yes, the T stands for Tiberia.)

BGIII - the Reading Rambo song was so glorious. LOL!

Jab, loving your take on Rifts.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:26 pm Haha, holy shit- Kevin Siembieda's response to Bill Coffin and others taking him down: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?11 ... ost2366680

I like how one guy actually calls out the exact same issues I had with his Federation of Magic essay:
In your magic article in Federation of Magic, you explicitly compare anyone who doesn't agree with your vision of magic and play style to be a chest thumping monkey. You then go on to say you don't play RPGs anymore and that even you don't use the Palladium ruleset as printed.

I used to be a loyal Palladium customer. But that Federation of Magic essay made me feel as if the "family" that I invested so much time in didn't really care.
I'm actually oddly happy that somebody other than me noticed that weird rant and caught the "thumping his chest" remark as something specifically bizarre about it. Along with KS's infamous style of "You're NOT PLAYING THIS RIGHT!!!!" rant.

Huh- Wayne Breaux Jr. has a DeviantArt page. His anatomy is still buggered in a lot of points, and the number of Faves he gets is pretty small for a published artist, but he's definitely improved since his Rifts days. His White Queen & Dark Phoenix aren't bad. Most of the other stuff is pretty ugly, though.
Going on a diatribe about an annoying customer via message boards or social media is understandable, if slightly unprofessional. Doing it in a PUBLISHED BOOK with your BRAND NAME on the cover is not only VERY unprofessional, it's a toxic business practice.

Huh. Suddenly Marvel's recent troubles make more sense: they're taking plays from the Kevin Siembieda of accepting no responsibility, making poor business decisions, attacking whomever they can, and calling the fans various derogatory things.

But hey, surely their new Robotech Kickstarter will get the fans back on Kevin's si. . . . oh . . . oooohhhhhhh.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ever since I was a teen, I’ve joked that if I win $100 million in the lottery, I’m gonna take $5 million of it and buy Palladium outright.

Then announce a new edition of the game. No backwards compatibility at all. Scored earth. Scrap everything but the fluff. Get modern artists to redo some of the classics, but in color. Hire someone like Sean K. Reynolds or Robin Laws to rebuild the mechanics from the ground up.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:50 pm Ever since I was a teen, I’ve joked that if I win $100 million in the lottery, I’m gonna take $5 million of it and buy Palladium outright.
Lesser known law of capitalism: you can't buy what no one is selling. I find it very easy to believe that Mr. Siembieda would tell you where to shove your offer. Or just as likely try to con you into joining the company as a silent partner.

Now, if he's joined the choir invisible, you'd have a much easier time acquiring it from his heirs/creditors.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The company has been plagued by financial troubles, off and on, since almost Day One. Most famously the embezzlement by Steve Sheiring, but it’s always been a bit rocky... and we are talking about my idle “if I win the lottery” daydreaming. Not a serious business plan.

I also daydream about owning a 35’ catamaran and spending my winters sailing to the Hawaiian islands. But I’m not actually packing a suitcase.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ill admit to investing in palladium as one of my idle fantasies as well. Wouldn't scorch the earth as much but id definitely push for an update and some clean up of the printing and distribution.

Also the much lauded and demanded rifts movie would get its green light from some Hollywood studio, and I press for a Rifts style MMO using WOW or SWTOR engines
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’d like to see a RIFTS miniature wargame, personally, something along the same lines as Konflict 47/Bolt Action where the focus is on a platoon vs. platoon level of conflict. Say, 20-ish Dead Boys, a few Dog Boys and a couple of SAMAS versus a Glitter Boy, a dozen Headhunters, and a Dragon Hatchling.

But, my real dream is to find out who currently holds the rights to Dino Riders and turn that into a roleplaying game and miniatures wargame.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm I’d like to see a RIFTS miniature wargame, personally, something along the same lines as Konflict 47/Bolt Action where the focus is on a platoon vs. platoon level of conflict. Say, 20-ish Dead Boys, a few Dog Boys and a couple of SAMAS versus a Glitter Boy, a dozen Headhunters, and a Dragon Hatchling.

But, my real dream is to find out who currently holds the rights to Dino Riders and turn that into a roleplaying game and miniatures wargame.
Apparently Tyco, the company that created Dino-Riders, was bought out by Mattel, so they're you're best bet.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Well, just as soon as the Lottery Commissioners send me the check...
proditor

Post by proditor »

Has anyone taken a look at the Savage Worlds: Rifts stuff?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I have, albeit lightly. I own the three core books, and from what I've read it's pretty good so far. I need to give it a more detailed read through soon.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:38 pm The company has been plagued by financial troubles, off and on, since almost Day One. Most famously the embezzlement by Steve Sheiring, but it’s always been a bit rocky... and we are talking about my idle “if I win the lottery” daydreaming. Not a serious business plan.

I also daydream about owning a 35’ catamaran and spending my winters sailing to the Hawaiian islands. But I’m not actually packing a suitcase.
When I buy DC Comics away from Warner Brothers, you're on the short list of people I want to head up the Bat-Universe department.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

proditor wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:45 pm Has anyone taken a look at the Savage Worlds: Rifts stuff?
I own the first book. It’s definitely a superior game to the original.