Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Scholars, Wilderness Scouts, Borgs, Glitter Boys)

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am It’s been a while since I read it; I remember finding the setting rich, the background full of neat hooks, and of course who doesn’t love the concept — dinosaurs are inherently awesome! — but the mechanics of the game were off putting in how “meta-textual” they tried to be. Maybe that was just the overly florid language too many of Monte Cook’s post-WOTC products have, maybe I was just in a grumpy mood the week I read it.

Absolutely gorgeous artwork though. One of the prettiest books I’ve read in all my years in the hobby.
Well, the Cypher system tend to be a bit heavy on the meta-text, but I think it's actually one of its strengths. One of the ideas behind it was to create a system that got rid of most of the fluff and provided a solid skeleton that the players could decorate (just like M&M). Unfortunately this seeped a bit too much into the single setting books.
Still, if you ever want to try it, I've GMed it for quite a while.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Giant Robots, Scholars, Wilderness Scouts, Borgs)

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:03 am A reminder that I statted out all the Dino-Riders, and have hoarded a near-complete collection of the toys (goddamn Pachyrhinosaurus...) :).
You should really take a look at Shanna Germain's Predation setting. It's literally a 200 pages long love letter to Dino-Riders. ;)
Damn, I never heard of that one. Finding info online seems to be tricky, too. So it's guys in the past, harnessing stuff to dinosaurs? ... yeah, I can see the resemblance. It's subtle, but it's there :).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There’s not a lot of direct similarities, Dino Riders is all about human-aliens fighting bug-aliens (very space opera, just not in space) and Predation is more of a post-apocalyptic survival (although technically it’s PRE-apocalypse).

There’s definitely some “spiritual cousins” vibe going on. The dinosaurs are basically as scientifically accurate as can be for the time in which the show/game was written, themes of technology versus nature or technology and nature, heroes forming close bonds with a specific animal... I’d say anyone who enjoys one would like the other.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:58 pm There’s not a lot of direct similarities, Dino Riders is all about human-aliens fighting bug-aliens (very space opera, just not in space) and Predation is more of a post-apocalyptic survival (although technically it’s PRE-apocalypse).

There’s definitely some “spiritual cousins” vibe going on. The dinosaurs are basically as scientifically accurate as can be for the time in which the show/game was written, themes of technology versus nature or technology and nature, heroes forming close bonds with a specific animal... I’d say anyone who enjoys one would like the other.
Yep. Apocalypse is coming, how do we survive: let's go back in time?

Actually, that's pretty damn clever.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:30 pm Yep. Apocalypse is coming, how do we survive: let's go back in time?

Actually, that's pretty damn clever.
Except the Apocalypse is still coming, it’s just a different one. Everyone in the setting knows that the mass extinction event that ended the dinosaurs’ epoch is coming... and now with their time travel shut down, there’s bugger all they can do about it.

Ingenious.
marcoasalazarm

Post by marcoasalazarm »

I always thought that it borrowed some (but not everything -- the dino companions-with-optional-blasters thing is definitely "Dino Riders") from "Terra Nova".
Jabroniville

Cyber-Doc

Post by Jabroniville »

CYBER-DOC O.C.C.
Role:
Rebel Doctors, "Chop Shop" Artists
PL 6 (78)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Survival/Streetwise) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Technology 8 (+12)
Treatment 6 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 8 (Gear), Ranged Attack 2

Equipment:
"Plastic Man Armor" Protection 5 (5)
"Assorted Gear" (10)
"Wilk's Laser Pistol" Blast 7 (14)
"Automatic Rifle" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
"Vibro-Knife" Strength-Damage +5 (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Vibro-Knife +5 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Wilk's Laser Pistol +5 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Rifle +5 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Saving Lives)- Body Fixers heal because they see life as important.
Prejudice (Inhuman-Lovers)- Body Fixers will practice medicine without a license on those the Coalition despises, such as aliens or mages.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (78)

-Compared to the illegal abortion clinics of 1960s America right there in the Main Rulebook, Cyber-Docs are illegal CYBERNETIC doctors. In a good bit of versimillitude in the setting, these guys are used to explain away all of the illegal things like Juicers, Crazies, Non-Coalition Borgs, etc. Many bits of fluff in the books speak of "Body-Chop-Shops", where this unethical docs cut up the bodies of their patients, replacing them with unholy abominations. Alternatively, PCs can be basically what a Body Fixer is, but with cybernetics, too.

-Cyber-Docs actually have WAY fewer skills than Fixers, but are noticeably better with technology.
Jabroniville

Juicer

Post by Jabroniville »

So... Rifts-y...

JUICER O.C.C.
Role:
Steroid Punkers (I hate punkers), Action Junkies, Mercenaries
PL 9 (127)
STRENGTH
3/6 STAMINA 3/6 AGILITY 3/6
FIGHTING 8/10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Mercenary) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+8)
Technology 5 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Juicer Gear), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Juicer Bio-Comp System"
Enhanced Strength, Stamina & Agility 3 [18]
Enhanced Fighting 2 [4]
Enhanced Advantages 8: Diehard, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge [8]

"Elite Athletes"
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Regeneration 2 [2]

"Saving Throws"
Enhanced Fortitude 1 [1]
Enhanced Will 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Psionics) [1]

Equipment:
"Juicer Gear"
"Juicer Assassin's Plate" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 5) (7)
"Mercenary Gear" Assorted Stuff 5 (5)
"Vibro Blade" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (8)

"JA-11 Juicer Assassin's Energy Rifle" Blast 10 (Feats: Range) (Extras: Multiattack) (31) -- (32)
  • AE: "S.D.C. Bullet" Blast 4 (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Vibro-Knife +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
SDC Bullet +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Energy Rifle +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +4 (+8 Juicer), Will +5 (+7 vs. Psionics)

Complications:
Responsibility (Early Death)- Juicers must engage in the dangerous "Detoxification" process or die- a Juicer's lifespan is between five and seven years after they join the O.C.C., with no exceptions.
Addiction (Action)- Juicers are touchy, nervous and exciteable. They crave action, danger and adventure. Some have tossed themselves off of buildings for kicks.
Responsibility (Cannot Sleep)- Juicers cannot sleep without sedatives or tranquilizers.
Responsibilty (Owes Money)- Becoming a Juicer costs a pretty penny, and most people who take the process are quite poor. This means they usually owe money to someone.
Power Loss (Juicer Abilities)- If a Juicer Detoxes, they will not only lose all their Powers, but drop BELOW their baseline stats on occasion! They will also look ten years older than normal. Most Juicers crave the lifestyle, and many become suicidal or addicted to other drugs instead.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 6 (127)

Juicers- Iconic Rifts Class:
-Nothing says Rifts to me like the goddamn Juicers. They just say SO MUCH about this world, the mentality of the creators, and the kind of world they wanted to build, that one of the iconic Character Classes is made up of Action Junkies who think that a six-year lifespan is preferable to life as a normal person. It means that Rifts Earth is a violent, dangerous place, and someone would rather doom themselves to an early death than be a victim. Or it just draws psychopaths who don't care about the quick death. Or it tells the sad story about people who wish to gain temporary power, then try to "Detox" and survive like a normal person, never QUITE being able to afford it.

-The world of the Juicers is pretty much an illegal one- most "proper" civilizations ban the process, so they typically have to go to "Chop-Shops" and illegal Cyber-Docs for the process. Or they pay their way in through a feudal state's armed forces.

"Last Call":
-If a Juicer doesn't detox and become normal (a huge possibility; few Juicers ever manage it), they are doomed to die 5 years and several months after undergoing the process. It can either be rather painless and sudden (Juicer Uprising features a short paragraph about a guy's buddy just keeling over like he had no idea it was coming one day), while others are doomed to heacaches and other such maladies. Naturally, there are charts for both the number of months you have left over five years, and whether or not you'll suffer any symptoms.

Detox:
-Juicers may choose to undergo "Detox" at some point. This involves removing their cybernetic harness and the chemicals, and going through the horribly-painful detoxification process. As action, strength and the drugs themselves are highly addictive, this is fraught with peril- most Juicers are complete wreckes as a result, and many commit suicide or die chasing other drug highs. And once you DO detox, your stats are even lower than they'd been BEFOREHAND.

Juicer Stats:
-The Juicers pack a huge boost to S.D.C. & Hit Points in Rifts, which is hilarious given how useless those things are unless everyone's fighting with baseline melee weapons (which nobody ever is, unless you're in a specific location that takes away all your gear). Normal "Men-At-Arms" combat classes will have 20-50 S.D.C., but Juicers add 1D4x100, which makes them about four times tougher and stronger than any normal human. They're more or less the equivalent of one of Disney's Gargoyles (leaning towards Goliath or Hudson over Brooklyn & Lexington). Descriptions in the books indicate that a Juicer can easily snap the neck of a human being with one punch; even one high on strength-boosting chemicals like "Crash". The Physical Prowess also goes up, making them very agile, and their Speed is enhanced to far beyond human capacity (doing the math, they can probably hit around 75 mph if they absolutely roll the best possible 2D4). This effectively makes them a class of mini-Spider-Men.

-Juicers use pretty basic gear (even a little weaker than the MDC Armor of most other classes- I figure that for Toughness +8, though it looks weird here, since it's barely providing a boost to the Juicer's toughness), but are REALLY hard to hit- they get "Automatic Dodge" as a Class Feature, which is one of the "God Stats" of the game. Similarly, they also gain an extra attack, which I reflect by good close combat skills and accuracy with their firearms (since M&M has only one Action-Per-Turn, no matter what).

-I was going for a PL 8 "Basic" Juicer, but the high force of damage from their Energy Rifles made me give up and just make him a PL 9 P.C. type. Juicers typically don't have a lot of smarts or interpersonal skills- they're action-junkie fighters, and this build reflects that.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Wilderness Scouts, Borgs, Glitter Boys, Juicers)

Post by Jabroniville »

JUICER UPRISING (1996):
-The first Rifts World Book devoted entirely to one Class (the Cyber-Knights would be the only one to get another, many years later), this was written by C.J. Carella, who actually manages to have enough stuff left in that Kevin Siembieda doesn't get full credits- a rare achievement! Carella is apparently considered the top-tier author of this universe in retrospect, but flamed out quickly under much secrecy. I have no idea what happened, but can probably guess, given the acrimonious ways others have left Palladium.

The book is essentially a love letter to everyone's favorite Suicidal Action Junkies- it not only details Detox, the last years of a Juicer's life, the culture that's spread up around them, the gang life, Juicer-only establishments and the things Juicers love and respect (a series of books about a pre-Rifts Juicer named Julian Amici are said to be very popular), but it includes a ton of NEW Juicer-themed classes! Naturally, these are scattered all over the book. Some are pretty standard "minor modifications" to the base class. Others are ungodly examples of "Power Creep", blatantly superior to regular Juicers in every way.

There's also a big backstory about the "Juicer Uprising" that actually springs up in one of those Mercenary Towns scattered around Rifts Earth- Juicers congregate around an area over promises of a "cure" to their early doom- lifelong Juicer enhancements! But as the harsh truth comes out (it's a fraud meant to lure in Juicers for another dark process), frustration over Coalition interference in everyone's lives turns everything into a hotbed of rebellion! Not only are there thousands of Juicers present, but anti-Coalition forces join the battle as well- Crazies, Borgs, D-Bees, etc.!

Generally speaking, the book makes playing a Juicer out to be great fun, and a bit nihilistic (since you're mostly doomed to either a life of misery or an early grave). This is right in the middle of Vince Martin's run as "Official Artist", meaning there are Sketchpad Characters all over the place, and even multiple drawings of certain classes, to better showcase their armor, organizations, and more. His distinctive "rounded body armor with spikes" are touching nearly every pic, with just enough left unique to make each class a BIT of a stand-out.

The art is really phenomenal in some cases, however- Martin knocks it out of the goddamn PARK with the Dragon Juicers, creating some of the most "metal" designs in the series. The Splugorth Juicer is classic "Nineties Rifts Excess" with mountains of spikes on a nearly-nude body. The Titan Juicers look pretty cool, too- like the "Strong Guys" you see in every 1990s Marvel Super-Team. The "Valkyri" Juicer team features an awesome band that includes a girl in the Mega-Juicer armor (though I think she's supposed to be the band leader- a regular Juicer), two elven Juicers (the race of the two Hyperion Juicers on the team is not mentioned), and a GIGANTIC female Titan Juicer, looking something like eleven feet tall. That... doesn't suck.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Also: Juicer Chainsaw.

‘Nuff said.
proditor

Post by proditor »

Please tell me you're doing Dragon Juicers...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

proditor wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm Please tell me you're doing Dragon Juicers...
I'm doing the whole lot of them :).
Jabroniville

Hyperion Juicer

Post by Jabroniville »

HYPERION JUICER O.C.C.
Role:
Speedsters, Action Junkies, Mercenaries
PL 9 (131)
STRENGTH
3/4 STAMINA 3/4 AGILITY 3/7
FIGHTING 8/11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Expertise (Mercenary) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+8)
Technology 5 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Juicer Gear), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Juicer Bio-Comp System"
Enhanced Strength & Stamina 1 [4]
Enhanced Agility 3 [6]
Enhanced Fighting 3 [6]
Enhanced Advantages 10: Diehard, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative 3, Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge [10]

"Elite Athletes"
Speed 6 (120 mph) [6]
Leaping 3 (60 feet) [3]
Regeneration 2 [2]
"Mega-Damage Kick" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Saving Throws"
Enhanced Fortitude 1 [1]
Enhanced Will 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Psionics) [1]

Equipment:
"Juicer Gear"
"Juicer Assassin's Plate" Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 5) (8)
"Mercenary Gear" Assorted Stuff 5 (5)
"Vibro Blade" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (8)

"JA-11 Juicer Assassin's Energy Rifle" Blast 10 (Feats: Range) (Extras: Multiattack) (31) -- (32)
  • AE: "S.D.C. Bullet" Blast 4 (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+4 Damage, DC 21)
Vibro-Knife/Kick +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
SDC Bullet +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Energy Rifle +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +4 (+6 Juicer), Will +5 (+7 vs. Psionics)

Complications:
Responsibility (Early Death)- Juicers must engage in the dangerous "Detoxification" process or die- a Juicer's lifespan is between five and seven years after they join the O.C.C., with no exceptions.
Addiction (Action)- Juicers are touchy, nervous and exciteable. They crave action, danger and adventure. Some have tossed themselves off of buildings for kicks.
Responsibility (Cannot Sleep)- Juicers cannot sleep without sedatives or tranquilizers.
Responsibilty (Owes Money)- Becoming a Juicer costs a pretty penny, and most people who take the process are quite poor. This means they usually owe money to someone.
Power Loss (Juicer Abilities)- If a Juicer Detoxes, they will not only lose all their Powers, but drop BELOW their baseline stats on occasion! They will also look ten years older than normal. Most Juicers crave the lifestyle, and many become suicidal or addicted to other drugs instead.
Responsibility (Jumpy)- Hyperion Juicers are notorious for spazzing out frequently, reacting violently to any sort of surprise or shock, or otherwise lashing out.
Vulnerable (Juicer Gluttony)- Only one full meal a day would be fatal to a Hyperion Juicer- they must eat much more than normal in order to function properly.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 6 (131)

-Hyperion Juicers are one of the more obvious "types" to make- take a class known for speed and agility, and ramp it up a notch. They're actually pretty well balanced compared to normal Juicers, being a fair bit stronger and less tough in exchange for greater speed. Though I actually had to beef them up a notch, making them better defensively and even quicker on Initiative than the actual class. It's actually a bit odd to see how this plays out in Rifts, as their heightened speed only really manifests with higher agility and running speed (which, math-wise, can be ramped up a fair bit).
proditor

Post by proditor »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 pm
proditor wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm Please tell me you're doing Dragon Juicers...
I'm doing the whole lot of them :).
And this is one of many reasons that I want to be you when I grow up. :D
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:30 pm Also: Juicer Chainsaw.

‘Nuff said.
I love how that weapon is just INSANELY powerful, too. Like double what any other Vibro-Blade does. That CJ Carella, man... even TV Tropes calls out how much Power Creep he threw into the setting :).

It is weird how focused Rifts is on gunfighting, though. Almost NOBODY does any damage in hand-to-hand. Even Dragons are only doing 2D6. Juicers, said to be terrifyingly fast and strong, can't hurt anyone in the setting unarmed.