Heroes in the City of Tomorrow (IC)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hero4hire

Heroes in the City of Tomorrow (IC)

Post by Hero4hire »

New Troy, Metropolis

The News is abuzz with word of Superman (along with the rest of the Justice League) currently fending off another World Threatening Menace. With the Man of Steel busy; Metropolis PD barely can keep up with the sudden, but predictable spike in crime across the city. It seems that when there is no threat of the Big Red S coming to save the day; the bad guys will play.

But there are others in the Big Apricot that patrol the City Streets and Skyline, doing what they can to protect the innocent...

Amidst the Dark Night Sky, almost invisibly, a Black Hovercraft lands upon a garish building marked STAR Labs.Image

OOC
Deux es machina: During your various “patrols” your heroes each spot and follows the craft or otherwise sees it land on the roof of STAR Labs.
It came from over the Harbor waters and STAR Labs is located across from Centennial Park.
Please include something in your intro post that will give the “viewers” a feel for your character's personality. :)
Psistrike

Re: Heroes in the City of Tomorrow (IC)

Post by Psistrike »

Chill
"Woo!" Chill glided along her ice slide, using her snowboard to pull off some simple flips and going into loops to cover her boredom. Patrol so far today had been too easy, a purse snatcher here, a thwarted car jacking there, but nothing major so far. Heading towards Centennial Park to take a break and help clean up the place, she just felt something was off about today. It was night and crime seemed slow despite Superman out of town with the Justice League dealing with a major threat. If only she wasn't still a probationary member, she might have gotten to help out. As she neared the park, she took a glance over towards STAR Labs, it seemed to have trouble at least twice a week of one sort or another. Which is when she spotted, just barely, a dark silhouette against the night sky moving towards and then lowering down onto STAR Labs roof.

"Shoot, if no major crime happened today I was going to buy a lottery ticket. Figures the odds are against that. Oh well, time to have some fun and teach some idiots a lesson that Superman isn't the only hero in Metropolis" With a mischievous grin she headed towards STAR Labs, going higher and higher so she could slide down a long ramp towards the roof. "This is going to be awesome."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Narg-Ul looked out of the old soup can that he had been using as his "house" of late. He'd managed to find a sheltered nook, about 4 metres off the ground, where two buildings met, where he could set it up with little chance of being disturbed.

He looked towards the S.T.A.R.* building. He liked to peek that way. He hoped someday someone might do something with size-changing research that might help his condition. That's when he saw the black hovercraft. It looked advanced compared to most of this backwards planet's technology. He understood that meant bad people.

(Well, if he's not here, I suppose I'd better look into it.)0o. Narg-Ul thought.

And with that, he flew off, as fast as a Speeding Bullet.

* - Science and Technology Advanced Reasearch
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Cu Roi

Post by Cu Roi »

"Well, that's certainly not normal." Ninkyo thinks to himself as he watches the hovercraft approach S.T.A.R Labs. Sure, this was still only his first week on the superhero scene and Metropolis seemed to attract its own brand of bizarre, but he was fairly certain giant, near-invisible spaceships were not par for the course.

"Especially when the Man of Steel isn't in town."

He focuses for an instant, allowing the power of the Cloud tattoo on his back to wash over him before bounding off towards S.T.A.R Labs. This seemed somewhat out of his league, considering he focused largely on street crime rather than the megalomaniacs and world-ending threats Superman seemed to deal with regularly. Still, the Man of Steel wasn't here and he was. They were big shoes to fill, but he couldn't rightfully call himself Ninkyo if he didn't step up to the task of protecting Metropolis when Superman wasn't around.

"Be the man you know you can be, not the man you were." He mutters quietly to himself as he begins scaling the building. Hopefully this would be over soon; his daughter had a tendency to skip out on her homework and just play videogames or stay over at her friend's house when he was busy.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Thunderbolt
Hero Points: One.
Conditions: None.

He had spent most of the evening crouched on a low warehouse overlooking Hob's bay. Birch had been monitoring a developing situation, Kord Industries had donated some advanced medical imaging devices to Blüdhaven General, so treatment patients wouldn't need to be re-directed to Gotham City. Normally a charitable donation would not have caught Birch's attention, yet while investigating the Gazzo family's involvement in a high tech arms distribution ring, he learned that some of Don Gazzo's soldiers had taken a side job, involving Kord Industries.

Now what was really curious, is what a bunch of thugs like Gazzo's soldiers would want with medical imaging technology. So here he was, shivering on a roof in the Suicide Slums, as a cold wind from the bay carried the voices of the workers unloading the Gazzo's shipment. Thirteen armed men, in various degrees of readiness, Franklin Gazzo, while not present, did have his second overseeing the operation. Luisa De Gaetano, she had a deadly reputation, a cold, calculating woman. Opportunistic, which is what Birch was beginning to suspect about Frankie, specifically that this entire operation may be off the books, and under the Don's nose.

He watched as they loaded up the vehicle, he could stop the transfer, but he was determined to figure out who wanted the imaging equipment, and more specifically, why. He turned, drew his grapnel and fired a line to a higher vantage point, it would take him to the on ramp for the bypass which would lead the convoy to the north and east, through downtown. With the Imaging monocle, he was able to pinpoint the vehicle and stay ahead of them, of course he was above most of the traffic, moving roof to roof. Three vehicles, two sedans and an unmarked cube van, considering the hour it was lonely traffic, Birch was thankful for the exercise though, it was working the blood through his cramped muscles, one of the reasons he hated long stakeouts.

About forty minutes later, the small group of vehicles turned off the bypass, heading south and east, towards the financial district. Still unsure of their location Birch followed, his grapnel line allowing him to stay unobserved, and is vantage allowing him to anticipate the vehicles route. That was until an unexpected downdraft caused him to drop thirty feet in an instant, the street screamed up at him, he recovered in free fall, spun his hips, brought the jumpline around and landed on lower building.

"The hell?!" He muttered under his breath as he rolled through the impact, he lay for a moment, catching his breath as he watched a large black hover vehicle track towards the STAR labs central building. He looked, watched De Gaetano's sedan slowly following the Gazzo shipment and cursed under his breath. He knew the big blue was out of town, and a stealth capable craft on an intercept for STAR Labs was never a good thing.

After a quick course correction, Birch began to move towards the STAR labs complex, he crossed the compounds perimeter, staying to the smaller, outlying buildings. Picking his course, patiently, until he was at the main building, located on the west side of the building, he sprinted across the overhead walkway, concealing himself in the shadow of the buttresses that reinforced the buildings curved exterior.

This had better be worth it, he thought to himself, I'm giving up three days of surveillance and stakeouts on that Kord heist. Dammit!
Last edited by ZenGypsy on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chogokin

Post by Chogokin »

Grease Monkey had been fizzing with excitement all evening, literally turning cartwheels at odd moments. "At last!" he thought to himself. "It's all coming together!" He was referring to an elaborate suit of power armor he had been assembling, which he had already mentally tagged as his "Monkey Suit." Each piece of the armor was based on one of his own patented inventions, from the Gyro-Dynamic Hydroboost servos, to the formula of the alloy carapace, to the Heterodyning Multi-Phasic Induction Capacitors powering the affair. It had taken months to design the suit, incorporating all of his work into one synergistic whole, and weeks to assemble the pieces, working in his spacious penthouse suite in New Troy.

Finally, it was ready. He reached out and grabbed a lit stogie from an ashtray on a workbench nearby. Breathing in deeply, letting the rush of nicotine dissolve his anxiety, he walked around his suit, giving it one last visual inspection. Scratching his flank idly, he grabbed a leather aviator's cap and strapped it on, then stepped into the open carapace of the armor. He extended his fingers and toes into the gauntlets and boots of the armor, locked the carapace down and into place, then hit the power button. Nothing.

With growls and grimaces of frustration, he climbed back out of the armor, grabbed a monkey wrench off the bench, and pounded the back plate over the capacitor coils. After a few judicious whacks, the coils reseated themselves, and the armor lurched as the circuits activated. Grease Monkey bared his fangs and roared victoriously at the suit for a moment, then recovered his composure and climbed back inside. Now the suit was responding to his motions, systems coming online as he went through his activation checklist.

Lurching erect, Grease Monkey hit a switch, opening the skylight of his apartment. His boosted musculature propelled him up into the night sky, to land gracefully on the roof. He paused a moment, looking out at the city lights. He had looked down at the city before, of course, from the windows of skyscrapers, helicopters, airplanes. That sight was glorious, but he had always felt like a stranger staring into something beautiful, but foreign. Now, however, he knew that he could move freely through that environment. His armor gave him that power. He wondered, for a moment, if this was how a gorilla felt in the wild. Is this what it felt like to be... home?

Before he could pursue that thought, a motion distracted him. For all the technological wonders of his suit, it was his native animal eyesight that allowed him to spot the strange black craft landing atop S.T.A.R. Labs. "Speaking of home, S.T.A.R. Labs practically is my home! I'd better make sure they're okay!" So saying, he flung himself out into the neon-lit chasm of the Avenue of Tomorrow, swinglines propelling him into the heart of the city.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

From lofty perches the majesty that is the Metropolis skyline at night can be appreciated.

From here you can make out notable buildings such as the Daily Planet and Lexcorp.

Of more note is the Craft, hovering idle mere feet over the rooftop of STAR Labs. Looking more like a flying tank than hover vehicle.

A reinforced security door to access the building is hanging wide open. The panel next to it splayed open and hacked. It also seems you are not the only curious do-gooder as other colorfully clad individuals show up as you do.

OOC:

If you were using Stealth roll it now. Everyone also roll me a Notice.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Chill
Before going down the ramp towards the roof, she decided to take a look around for any kind of trouble or others who might have been drawn here by the hovercraft. With the increase in superheroes in Metropolis, she didn't want to end up crashing into someone who comes flying, swinging, or leaping towards the roof.

OOC: Perception check: _: 1D20+6 = [3]+6 = 9 And once again I prove CoyoteCode hates me. :P
Chogokin

Post by Chogokin »

Grease Monkey

Perception Check: _: 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Thunderbolt

Birch noted the ice ramp, sliding in from an office building across the plaza, luckily the heroine hadn't yet climbed to an altitude where she would be noticed by any of the hover tank's position atop the main STAR Labs building. He was unsure of who the young woman was, but she didn't seem to be operating in the same covert manner that the vehicle and it's occupants seemed to be. He swung to her position, "Watch the altitude hero, these guys look professional, probably have some lookouts aboard the vehicle, lookout on the roof, while their teams goes in." He paused, used the tension on his de-cel jumpline to balance on her ice slide, "Media's been calling me Thunderbolt, I was going to approach via the buttresses on the west side of the building." He shrugged, pointed to a large armored form swinging towards the building, "Looks like we may not be the only heroes out tonight." He flashed a cocky smile, took a couple steps and began to swing back towards the shadows of the curved buttress on the STAR labs building. "Good to see peeps picking up on the slack while the Big Blue is out of town."
OOC: First, a notice check to identify the other figures vectoring towards the STAR Labs building. Notice Check: 1D20+10 = [20]+10 = 30 Wow! As Chill is fairly obvious, ie. follow the Ice Slide, I will approach her first. Also, going to assume I see Primate Change, a large bulky power armored individual moving by swinglines, like myself. Secondly, a Stealth check to keep my approach towards Chill from being in view of the hover-tank and any crew that would be in the cockpit. I am *NOT* approaching Chill from the shadows, as I don't want to spend the initial scene in a block of ice! Stealth check, primarily to keep cover between myself and the vessel itself.: 1D20+10 = [18]+10 = 28.
Cu Roi

Post by Cu Roi »

NInkyo steps over the edge of the rooftop just in time to see the new arrivals. Unsure of whether or not they are friendly, he steps behind some cover and activates the Moon Tattoo to conceal himself, at least until he can confirm that they are also on the side of law and order. Once the Moon Tattoo finishes activating, he walks back towards the others to hear what the others are saying and inspect the craft.

OOC: 19 on Stealth, and 23 on Notice.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote:Narg-Ul looked out of the old soup can that he had been using as his "house" of late. He'd managed to find a sheltered nook, about 4 metres off the ground, where two buildings met, where he could set it up with little chance of being disturbed.

He looked towards the S.T.A.R.* building. He liked to peek that way. He hoped someday someone might do something with size-changing research that might help his condition. That's when he saw the black hovercraft. It looked advanced compared to most of this backwards planet's technology. He understood that meant bad people.

(Well, if he's not here, I suppose I'd better look into it.)0o. Narg-Ul thought.

And with that, he flew off, as fast as a Speeding Bullet.

* - Science and Technology Advanced Reasearch

Stealth check (not so much trying as just being tiny) : 1D20+20 = [16]+20 = 36
Perception Check : 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Chill
Barely keeping in a little "eep" at being spotted by someone up there, Chill tried to remain cool and calm. "Uhm, please don't sneak up on people like that, next time the person might think you are a threat and could end up attacking you. And yes, I should be more stealthy, been told that many times by my teachers, especially Batman. But it is so dark out, I thought a lone figure high enough on a ramp of ice wouldn't stand out. Guess I need to finally figure out that trick on how to change the color and transparency of my ice. And I'm called Chill, probationary member of the Justice League. Which is why I'm stuck here instead of helping out with the huge menace. Nice to meet you, Thunderbolt. And yeah, without Supes in town petty crooks have tried to take advantage of the situation. Though strangely enough all day it was just minor stuff like car jacking, purse snatchers, muggings, no big time group or supervillains until now."
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Thunderbolt

As he swung back to cover on the west side of the building, he checked over his shoulder to ensure that Chill was following. "A reservist huh? Good, I'll give you the lead when the Science Police and MCPD show up once we take these jack-holes down. The hover vehicle crossed my path while I was investigating an unrelated matter. Down draft nearly made me street pizza, which means it uses turbines or some such for lift." He pointed up towards the black vehicle hovering ominously above the STAR Labs building. "I figure when we make the approach, you freeze the turbines solid, like an AC on a hot summer day, it'll lurch and land on the roof. Me, I'll pop out from behind cover, and take down their lookouts, then once we secure the extraction team we make our way inside the building and secure the retrieval team."

He looked over, noted that the large armored form was on an intercept course for them, and adjusted his own trajectory. He threw a thumb towards the new guy, "'nother hero inbound, he with you?"
Chogokin

Post by Chogokin »

Grease Monkey

The large, armored form in question hurtles through space toward the S.T.A.R. Labs building, dipping below the rooftop before a line rockets out, attaching itself to the tip of one of the dark towers protruding from the top of the roof. With a heave, the being sails over the roof, rolling as it lands to bleed off some momentum before springing to its feet. As it stands, it reveals itself to be, of all things, a gorilla wearing power armor. He takes a last puff on the stub of a cigar, before dropping it and grinding it out on the rooftop.

OOC: Grease Monkey will attempt to observe the hover tank, and see if his knowledge of Engineering and Technology tell him anything interesting. If there's time. Engineering, Technology: 1D20+11 = [20]+11 = 31
1D20+11 = [12]+11 = 23