Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Threnody! TESS-One! Terminus! Terror!)

Post by Goldar »

Wow, miss a week, miss a lot! :shock:

Great Rodak and Lugo Men, Jab! I think you got their essence correct and nice pics too. Power levels and powers right on target. Thanks!

Wow again, so many characters covered!

Ternak is a favorite from way back-to-back ish if FF was so good. He proved largely immune to Johnny's flame, making Johnny try his "White Heat Blast", before being doused in snow.

I also remember Thunderbolt Carver, who aged the more he ran at superspeed. I thought his visor was cool and an interesting offensive power. I always wondered if it was a natural power as it was only a visor and never stated to contain any type of power source.

Terminus seemed like such a mega-powerhouse during his debut-almost unstoppable! I loved seeing the JLA taking him on!

Toad, while not a favorite, I do like to read about, made moreso by his constantly changing look and power levels! You covered him so we'll here!

Can't wait to see all of the other "T's", especially our gal Thundra!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

So a guy from the middle ages who turns into a green monster who is kind of anti-hero with a complex about his lost love who was apparently a badass fighter.

Are you sure the thing this Schreck guy killed wasn't some kind of Scottish ogre?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

The Trump

Post by Jabroniville »

THE TRUMP (Carlton Sanders)
Created By:
Steven Grant & Geof Isherwood
First Appearance: Daredevil #203 (Feb. 1984)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (84)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 7
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Magician) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 1 (+4)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+3)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+9)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Daze (Deception), Equipment 2 (Magician's Gear- Handcuffs, Garrote, Razor Blades), Fascinate (Deception)

Powers:
"Magic Tricks" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
"Taser Stun-Tip" Affliction 6 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach 2) (8) -- (9 points)
  • AE: "Pellet Cane" Blast 3 (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Taser Tip +7 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Pellet Cane +7 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 9 (84)

-The Trump is a one-shot Daredevil foe who never appeared again in Matt's book- instead, Mark Gruenwald (who else?) used him in two different Captain America issues. He attempted to rob a Magic Show attended by Cap & Diamondback on their first date, but was confounded by Black Mamba's mental illusions (they'd apparently dated in the past- Mamba was unimpressed). Later, he was seen temporarily at an A.I.M. Weapons Expo, but didn't get up to much. His entire schtick is that he's a professional criminal and magician, using illusions and parlor trick to allow him to steal. That he hasn't appeared in current Marvel comics given the political tinge they've given EVERYTHING is a bit mystifying, actually. I mean, a guy named Trump who lies and steals? Damn thing writes itself!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:22 am So a guy from the middle ages who turns into a green monster who is kind of anti-hero with a complex about his lost love who was apparently a badass fighter.

Are you sure the thing this Schreck guy killed wasn't some kind of Scottish ogre?
layers
HalloweenJack

Re: The Trump

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 am That he hasn't appeared in current Marvel comics given the political tinge they've given EVERYTHING is a bit mystifying, actually. I mean, a guy named Trump who lies and steals? Damn thing writes itself!
Given how little he's appeared, they'd actually have to read comics to find out about him, and we know that ain't gonna happen.
Shock

Re: The Trump

Post by Shock »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 am That he hasn't appeared in current Marvel comics given the political tinge they've given EVERYTHING is a bit mystifying, actually. I mean, a guy named Trump who lies and steals? Damn thing writes itself!
Given how little he's appeared, they'd actually have to read comics to find out about him, and we know that ain't gonna happen.
Trump wasn't an unknown even way back in 1984, especially in the New York area. It's entirely possible this guy was based on him to begin with.
Jabroniville

Thundra

Post by Jabroniville »

Image ImageImage
ImageImage

The combined multiverse does not contain enough "HELL YEAH!" to describe this woman.

THUNDRA
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gerry Conway
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #129 (Dec. 1972)
Role: The Hottest of Hot Amazons, Man-Hater, Super-Feminist
Group Affiliations: The Femizons, The Grapplers, The Frightful Four, Roxxon Oil
PL 12 (178)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Femizon Warrior) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Technology) 5 (+7)
Intimidation 8 (+10)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Vehicles 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Queen of Femizonia), Chokehold, Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Chain) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Super-Amazon Physiology"
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
Leaping 3 (60 feet) [3]

"Super-Strength Feats" (AEs of Strength Damage) [3]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 10 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (13)
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Both He & Target Must Be Touching Ground) (11)
  • AE: "Sonic Slam" Affliction 11 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (11)
"Thundra's Chain" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted- Super-Strength Required) [4]
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Reach 3, Improved Disarm & Trip) (5 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Chain +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +9

Complications:
Responsibility (Femizonia)
Responsibility (Loves Arkon or The Thing)- Thundra was into Ben's power for a while, but she eventually hooked up with Lord Arkon on account of his sheer manliness. Seriously- they were fighting, then went all "wait, you respect me?" and started making out right then and there.
Obsession (Female Superiority)

Total: Abilities: 98 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 13 (178)

Thundra- Mrs. Jabroniville:
-Always liked Thundra. I mean, what's not to love? A giant, amazonian redhead who beats the snot out of men and brags about how useless they are. What is she, the living embodiment of everything I've ever wanted in a woman? The cool design (mixing sex appeal with ACTUAL muscle mass- unlike Wonder Woman- alongside a red single-strap outfit, long pants and a giant chain) adds to it to make a memorable Fantastic Four supporting character.

-Thundra debuted, announcing herself as the leader of the future society of (I swear to God) "Femizonia"- a world ruled by an elite council of super-tall, amazonian female overlords. Enhanced by elite training and genetic engineering,l she is her race's finest warrior, and is sent back to the Fantastic Four's time to fight The Thing. Her reasoning? He has been determined to be the strongest male of all time (their... history is imprecise), and so the misandrist Thundra must beat the snot out of him in order to prove the superiority of women to the evil males who rule the planet Machus, thus ending the war between Machus and Femizonia. Ben is naturally COMPLETELY dumbfounded by this entire thing, and so many laughs are had. She ends up getting roped into the Frightful Four's latest incarnation, but switched sides to the heroes, as she herself is not evil.

-The whole thing is of course a kind of gag on the then-nascent "Women's Lib" movement, as feminism was increasingly a subject in those times. And what better way to comment on it than by having a gigantic woman pound the daylights out of men while proclaiming their worthlessness? She reappeared a few more times, eventually falling in LOVE with the Ever-Lovin', Blue-Eyed Thing (who naturally only had eyes for Alicia Masters), and then it was revealed that she was also attempting to ensure that the male-dominated society of Machus never came into being. Subsequent appearances, often featuring her coming back from the future, get REALLY convoluted at times, as the history and appearance of Femizonia changes repeatedly (at one point, it's merged with Machus via dimensional interface).

Thundra Settles Down:
-Eventually, by the late '80s, she actually hooked up with the Machan leader, Arkon the Thunderer, in a goofy story that sees the West Coast Avengers & Fantastic Four gathered together on different sides of the Femizonia/Machus War, the two leaders begin a one-on-one contest for total victory... and get so turned on by their mutual strength that they basically stop fighting and hit second base in front of their massed armies. Everyone returns in equal parts amusement and confusion (especially poor Ben, who was all "I can only imagine what they're doin' right now..." and one of the women on the team is like "BENJAMIN J. GRIMM!!!" and points out the immediate proximity of the young children of Susan Richards and Julia Carpenter present- Ben quickly has to change gears. Like I said, it's a silly story.

-After hooking up with Arkon, Thundra largely vanishes from comics- she was a bit specifically-"Silver/Bronze Age" for the bad-ass, violent, "serious" world of the 1990s, who of course have characters that look even SILLIER today. You only see a couple of shots here and there (she and Arkon fall in the early moments of JLA/Avengers, for example). It wasn't until the modern generation of "Good Girl Artists" like Frank Cho came about that somebody went "Hey, does anyone remember that seven-foot tall, ultra-chesty, male-hating Super-Amazon?" and suddenly Thundra started APPEARING again! This time, comics were more willing to accept the somewhat-silly nature of her character, having fun with her casual misandry (she even helps She-Hulk & Valkyrie beat up the Red Hulk), and how serious she takes herself. In a bizarre twist, some Alternate Future Thundra showed up, boinked the Hulk, and gave birth to the 889th Hulk spin-off (Lyra), but that was more a means to an end.

Modern Thundra:
-Now, with Arkon largely-gone, Thundra still appears at random, spending an awful lot of time here considering that she actually RULES her own future time period. A snarkier, mouthier Thundra was found as part of the modern "Squadron Supreme" (now reimagined as a group of disparate characters from other worlds that were erased by the Crisis on Infinite Marvel Earths), packing a... completely-different personality than she's ever had before, using modern slang and acting kind of happy-go-lucky. But really, Thundra is awesome. Not only for the super-sexiness of a gigantic misandrist being out there, but because her whole concept is just SO comics. Like seriously, she's the super-strong future ruler of FEMIZONIA, a female-dominated world of giantesses, living in a world that's part Conan the Barbarian and part Warlord of Mars? And she totally disregards men as inferior, but finds herself attracted to THE THING, all because of his bravery and fighting spirit? She's basically She-Hulk with a stick up her butt, and that's rad. Thundra is the only non-Avenger on my "Avengers Dream Team", largely because she can play SO WELL off of any other character. She'd be condescending and rude to her male colleagues, but this wannabe "Power Sister" to other women on the squad, causing all sorts of conflict. It'd be hilarious.

Thundra- Super-Heavyweight:
-Thundra's a powerhouse akin to Ben Grimm, and stats out as such, but she's considerably better at fighting (Ben could NEVER manage to defeat her in all their fights), making her a PL 12 heavyweight. More than a PL 10 can handle, she's strong as hell, fast, a great fighter (MANY Advantages designed to alter all of her caps around), has a pretty good weapon (she's so strong that it doesn't boost her strength, but its range & Power Feats are a big help), and can take some heavy punishment. She's enough to go one-on-one with The Thing, Abomination or even the Hulk for a few rounds. You could argue she's only worth PL 11 stats... but that ignores the fact that I love her, so PL 12 she stays!

-Thundra lacks much in the way of interpersonal skills sadly, and most of her interactions with men consist of (*drool*...) punching them and insulting their gender, so no "Attractive" or any of that this time (including it before was just my own personal bias).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Marvel Comics is already filled to the brim with amoral, self-centered, egotists who let their childish petty emotional squabbling with their personal rivals stop them from doing what’s right... They’re still called “superheroes,” but nobodies quite sure why.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Thundra is fun. Something sorely lacking in much of modern comics.

In the interests of comic book science, I think we should get Frank Cho to do a 128-page prestige format one-shot where Thundra and Barda wrestle to determine who is the strongest warrior between Marvel and DC. Wonder Woman and She-Hulk can be their tag-team partners.

For science!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Spam

Re: Jab's Builds! (TESS-One! Terminus! Terror! THUNDRA!)

Post by Spam »

For some reason, I was expecting more pictures.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ben Grimm just might be the ultimate Kavorka Man, as TV Tropes describes it. Dude looks like a Brick Wall that walks like a man, and at various points he's had She-Hulk, Thundra, Tigra, similar women just swooning over him.

Thundra is a fun character, albeit one you need to play as being over the top with some depth to her, because those are the only thing keeping her from becoming one of Jab's Four Fatales parody toxic feminists. Basically the one of the main things that saves Thundra is that she's always displayed as being over the top and in the wrong, so it's more played for comedy than any serious social commentary.

I could completely see her on the Avengers as "that one character" who is the trouble maker type that Jab seems to love, and would have completely different dynamics within the group, annoying everyone for different reasons.

I am curious about Ben apparently never defeating her. I thought one of the reasons she obsessed about him before really getting to know him is that she couldn't beat him either.

She and Valkyrie wound up basically being the same character with different color hair and weapons, which I'm sure disappointed Jab to no end. Especially when Frank Cho insisted on drawing them in a book together.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spam wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:19 am For some reason, I was expecting more pictures.
The ones I commissioned would require too much editing :).

You can thank Goldar for the re-post. I was actually gonna stop with The Trump, but Goldar mentioning her made me go "well, I needed another name to fill out the day- why not?", instead of starting the next thing.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:28 am
Ares wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:22 am So a guy from the middle ages who turns into a green monster who is kind of anti-hero with a complex about his lost love who was apparently a badass fighter.

layers

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 am Marvel Comics is already filled to the brim with amoral, self-centered, egotists who let their childish petty emotional squabbling with their personal rivals stop them from doing what’s right... They’re still called “superheroes,” but nobodies quite sure why.
Hey now, that's only been true since BENDIS took over- before, their self-obsession and emotional problems are what made them doing the right thing all the more heroic :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

DESIGN DIARY X- GOOD TIMES WITH WEAPONS:

I did a set of Weapons for 2nd Edition, and I'd meant to do the same for 3rd Edition for a while now, so I'll just get right down to re-posting it now. I'll include stats for various weapons, and a bit of history and information on each one. Altogether, I'll set it up as follows:

Bladed Weapons (Knives, Swords, Sai & stuff)
Blunt Weapons (Brass Knuckles, Bo Staff, Clubs, Nunchucks, Hammers)
Axes (well, there's a few different kinds)
Polearms (Spears, Lances, Pikes, Halberds)
Bow & Arrow and Crossbows
Firearms
Unique Weapons (Basically everything else)
Modern Weapons (non-Gun based)
Armor & Shields
Mounted Combat- Notes & Possible Rules for combat on Horseback, Rhinoback, Elephant Howdahs, Chariots and whatever the hell

Many of these are pretty similar (even identical) to the main Equipment guides in the rulebooks- the standard weapons they have are usually pretty good.