Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Clubs

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

CLUBS (2 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
As long as creatures have had hands
Type of Damage: Various (nearly always Bludgeoning)
Typical Make: Various
Manner of Use: Picked up with two hands and swung/thrown
Variants on Design: Trashcans, Pipes, Clubs, Bricks, Lamps, Fire Hydrants, Steel Folding Chairs, TV Set, Tire Iron, Baseball Bat, Crowbar, Policeman's Batons, Chain (Makeshift weapons are Inaccurate)
Famous Wielders: Thugs on Gargoyles (it seemed every group had a guy with a chain or a trash can lid), Ukyo (Ranma 1/2 and her Giant Spatula), Black Tom Cassidy (Shillelaugh)

Stats: Strength-Damage +2 -- (2 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 7

Positives & Negatives:
+ Can pass for things- the "Old Sensei using a Cane" variant is common. Sports equipment is legal and might get a pass, though the police might still question a dude just walking around with a bat.

- Generally more fragile- hockey sticks are easily broken, and anything used as an Improvised Weapon breaks easily on first use.

-Sometimes writers will get creative, and the hero or thug will pick up something readily available (thugs in an alley find a trashcan, for example) and use THAT as a weapon. Though not originally designed for that purpose, it's nonetheless a pretty heavy, usually metal, object, and will hurt if it connects. Pretty basic and often unwieldly, but still worth something. Most of these things stat up the same way, since they're heavy, but usually not meant to be used as weapons. As a GM, one should only allow the players a couple shots with a trash can or lamp before it becomes useless and broken, so a constant "equipment"-type weapon should only be something like a Tire Iron or a Shillelaugh-type Club. Baseball Bats are awesome, too. Lots of thugs will have the "regular" thing like a club or baton, so go nuts with that one.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Terror! THUNDRA!!!! Polearms & Blades! Katanas!)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:06 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:43 pm Yeah, Steve Jackson is the guy if you want a good source-book or parody card game about whatever.

As for Barda, I think of her more as a 6'6"-6'9" Gina Carano . . . . . . . . I'll be in my bunk.
I AM TWISTING ALL OF YOU TO MY PERSONAL FETISHESSSSSSSSSSSSSS AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHH!!!!
Nah man, you've got an obsession with women who are going to treat you like crap and emasculate you. Barda is a complete bitch to people she doesn't like, but a total sweetheart to people she does like. Her and Scott are like the most adorable couple because she actually enjoys being a happy little homemaker and doing things like cuddling with her husband.

What you're looking more is Granny Goodness in Big Barda's body. And you're welcome for that mental image. :twisted:
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:06 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:43 pm Yeah, Steve Jackson is the guy if you want a good source-book or parody card game about whatever.

As for Barda, I think of her more as a 6'6"-6'9" Gina Carano . . . . . . . . I'll be in my bunk.
I AM TWISTING ALL OF YOU TO MY PERSONAL FETISHESSSSSSSSSSSSSS AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHH!!!!
Nah man, you've got an obsession with women who are going to treat you like crap and emasculate you. Barda is a complete bitch to people she doesn't like, but a total sweetheart to people she does like. Her and Scott are like the most adorable couple because she actually enjoys being a happy little homemaker and doing things like cuddling with her husband.

What you're looking more is Granny Goodness in Big Barda's body. And you're welcome for that mental image. :twisted:
I was referring to my obsession with tall warrior women, you JERK! *cries*
Jabroniville

Staffs

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

BO STAFF / QUARTERSTAFF (4 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Various places, Middle Ages
Type of Damage: Bludgeoning
Typical Make: A large wooden pole of varying lengths (generally 4-6 feet), sometimes with grips or tape in the centre or grip-pads.
Manner of Use: Held and swung or lunged with both hands.
Variants on Design: May be plastic or metal nowadays, varies from 4 feet to nearly 10, may have pads or blunt stones on the ends.
Famous Wielders: Donatello (TMNT), Darth Maul, Little John, Gabrielle (Xena's "companion"), Goku (DBZ)

Stats: Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Split) -- (4 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 6

Positives & Negatives:
+ Simple- at its heart, the weapon is just a big stick. There are better, more complex versions out there, but it's probably the easiest single weapon to replicate using your surroundings or everyday objects.
+ Mostly non-lethal- though blunt damage is still dangerous in real life, in comics you can just wail away on guys without permanently harming them.

- Fairly long, and can give you trouble in close situations, narrow passageways, and more. Not as bad as most polearms, though.

-Whether it's a Bo Staff or a Quarterstaff (basically the same thing, really- it's a STICK), the blunt-ended weapon isn't as popular as many others in fiction, but it appears nonetheless. Handy for non-lethal damage and fighting multiple opponents (thus ideal for super-heroes who don't want to be killing their foes, or explaining why a guy with Swords has never hit anyone with them), it's got hella-reach and Split, making it one of the best tactical weapons around. Use of the bo as a weapon was formed on the island of Okinawa because the invading Japanese disallowed weapons on the people, to better keep control. The Okinawans therefore used farming implements and junk as makeshift weapons.
Jabroniville

Nunchucks

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

NUNCHAKU / NUNCHUCKS (Pair) (3 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Okinawa
Typical Make: Two wooden or metal rods connected by a chain or rope in the middle, of varying lengths.
Manner of Use: Held by one end and flung in circular motions, wrapping up targets or striking with the blunt end.
Variants on Design: Octagonal or round rods, sometimes with additional raised portions. Varying lengths of rope or rod- some contain rope, cord or chain.
Famous Wielders: Michelangelo (TMNT), Bruce Lee, Panthro, Black Dynamite

Stats: Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Disarm, Split) -- (3 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 5

Positives & Negatives:
+ Relatively-concealable- It's just two sticks attached by a rope.
+ Mostly non-lethal- though blunt damage is still dangerous in real life, in comics you can just wail away on guys without permanently harming them.
+ Can be used to choke someone or tie them up as an improvised thing.

- Roped weapons can be more easily grappled.

-Popuarly known as "Nunchucks" because that's just way cooler, the Nunchaku are a pretty uncommon weapon most of the time, but look so damn cool (and were the token weapon of Michelangelo, the "Kid Focus" totally-radical cool guy character of the TMNT) that they usually get serious mention. They tend to bring the laughs if seen, though, given their origins to American culture, so be wary- your cool "Nunchuk Guy" might be derided as a lame '80s attempt at cool. Nunchucks are an effective defensive weapon as well, because of the rope in the middle allowing them to tie up bigger, badder weapons.

However, they're not a terribly-effective weapon in real life, as a standard club hits with MUCH more force (seriously- I still remember that Deadliest Warrior episode where a Yakuza guy tried to bring up the Nunchaku as an elite weapon, while his Mafia counterpart brought in a baseball bat, which of course hits SEVERAL times harder), and anything with a length of rope or chain on it is liable to get tied up. Few Japanese martial arts actually focused much on them (there's not even a "kata" for them in Okinawan Karate), and they are believed to mainly be a weapon of the aristocracy, not peasants or soldiers. Despite all this, Nunchaku are illegal in MANY countries, and were a big part of controversy when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turteles hit big, because kids were making cheap knock-offs and beating on each other with them. In the UK, Soul Calibre games were edited to remove a character's Nunchaku and replace them with a three-piece pole instead!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, nunchaku being censored was a thing in the UK for a while. For example, Mikey's nunchaku were pretty much completely edited out of the UK edits of the TMNT cartoon (called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles over here), which meant he did a lot less than he should have in fight scenes.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

To be fair to nunchaku, the "expert" in that Deadliest Warrior episode clearly did not know what the heck he was doing.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

yeah nunchakus strength is in the physics, your swinging a stick on the end of a chain or rope giving it far more momentum then a mere single stick would have. Baseball bat in the example is about the same length which is why It can hit as hard. But nunchaku are banned in multiple cities for a reason while baseball bats aren't, in the right hands theyre lethal capable of breaking bones with terrifying ease.

Bruce Lee is the true epitome of their use because that man did not fool around all theatrics aside, he knew and regularly trained with them and instructed his stuntmen he worked with on how they needed to be when he used them.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Flail

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

FLAIL (6 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Middle Ages (14th Century)
Type of Damage: Bludgeoning & Piercing
Typical Make: Wooden or metal handle with a heavy metal ball or rod attached by a chain or rope, sometimes spiked
Manner of Use: Held and swung with one or both hands.
Variants on Design: Various lengths and modifications on spikes. Some have MULTIPLE ball & chains attached (call it the "Mormon Flail")
Famous Wielders: Go-Go Ubari (Kill Bill)

Stats: Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach, Improved Disarm) (Extras: Penetrating 2) (Inaccurate -1) -- (6 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 8

Positives & Negatives:
+ Looks cool & unique. You immediately stand out in a crowd.

- Roped weapons can be more easily grappled. Trying to disarm someone stronger than you can give them the opportunity to take YOUR weapon away.
- Some larger flails require two hands. Ones that do not would likely be only Damage +2 and lack Penetrating.

-The flail is semi-popular in fiction, but in real life there appears to be little evidence of regular use. That's because its make is ludicriously complicated, hard to wield (tends to swing back and hit you in the face), and just plain inferior to weapons that see actual use (you're almost always just better off using a sword or spear). But still, it's pretty cool for something that was used as a threshing farm tool.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:29 am yeah nunchakus strength is in the physics, your swinging a stick on the end of a chain or rope giving it far more momentum then a mere single stick would have. Baseball bat in the example is about the same length which is why It can hit as hard. But nunchaku are banned in multiple cities for a reason while baseball bats aren't, in the right hands theyre lethal capable of breaking bones with terrifying ease.

Bruce Lee is the true epitome of their use because that man did not fool around all theatrics aside, he knew and regularly trained with them and instructed his stuntmen he worked with on how they needed to be when he used them.
Well yeah, it would still HURT- it's just sub-par compared to most actual weapons of war. Stuff with ropes and chains just aren't good for massed combat, and lack versatility.

Their primary advantage is hitting power in a concealable package - it's really hard to hide a baseball bat.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:44 am
catsi563 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:29 am yeah nunchakus strength is in the physics, your swinging a stick on the end of a chain or rope giving it far more momentum then a mere single stick would have. Baseball bat in the example is about the same length which is why It can hit as hard. But nunchaku are banned in multiple cities for a reason while baseball bats aren't, in the right hands theyre lethal capable of breaking bones with terrifying ease.

Well yeah, it would still HURT- it's just sub-par compared to most actual weapons of war. Stuff with ropes and chains just aren't good for massed combat, and lack versatility.

Their primary advantage is hitting power in a concealable package - it's really hard to hide a baseball bat.
Nominally Id agree But the nunchaku is the exception to the rule because its design is intended to swing in a compact arc while still maximizing rotation and momentum, Watch Lee swing those things he rarely extends and arm in the same way someone swinging a flail or morning star would. His swings are compact and efficient.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Nunchaku are flails; flails are nunchaku. They’re literally the exact same thing.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:16 am Nunchaku are flails; flails are nunchaku. They’re literally the exact same thing.
No dispute there Nunchaku were made from a farm tool designed to thresh crops.

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:50 pm To be fair to nunchaku, the "expert" in that Deadliest Warrior episode clearly did not know what the heck he was doing.
Well yeah, it's Deadliest Warrior. They've got about the same expertise as this guy:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Maces, etc.

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

WARHAMMER/MORNING STAR (3-7 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Middle Ages period, Europe
Typical Make: Wooden or metal long handle, with a massive stone/metal blunt intrument on top.
Manner of Use: Wielded two-handedly to bring downward onto the head or other vitals.
Variants on Design: Different sizes & shapes available, increasing in length. Morning Stars possess nails or spikes driven into the club end. Others have a hook on one side.
Famous Wielders: Video Game "Powerhouse" characters, Thor & Company, Steel (DC Comics), Triple-H (WWE), Sigmar (Warhammer World), Shao Khan

Stats: Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 5) (Inaccurate -1) -- (7 Equipment Points)
One-Handed Stats: Strength-Damage +3 -- (3 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 8

Positives & Negatives:
+ Useful as a tool, and one of the few melee weapons that can realistically cut through concrete in the real world.
+ As a blunt weapon, it's easier to explain as non-fatal.

- Fairly heavy, and usually used two-handed. One-handed versions allow for Shields to be worn, but do less damage and are not Penetrating.

-The War Hammer, usually a long-handled weapon, is pretty rare in some forms of fiction (particularly Fantasy), but very common in comic books, seeing as how it can be used by superheroes and not kill their opponents. In real life, a giant hammer would cause just as much grievous bodily harm as a sword would, but in comic-world, it's generally less bloody. The general purpose of a Warhammer back in the day was to hurt Knights and other heavily-armored opponents- it's one of the few weapons that can reliably injure an armored man, since it does blunt damage and doesn't have to cut through the metal like a sword would. Knights of the era were damn near invincible, especially for paltry metal weapons, so they invented a giant club that would stun the living crap out of anyone it hit, thus allowing the coup de grace.

-Similar are Maces (rounded clubs) and Morning Stars (spiked clubs). All were commonly used as Knightly weapons, alongside the Lance and Sword, since they were good both against Armor (the more advanced Armors were hard enough to block most weapons, and curved so sharp weapons tended to deflect) and horses (a sledgehammer to the leg? YIKES). A Maul is a longer hammer (resembling a modern sledgehammer).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.