Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (THUNDRA!!!! Swords! Katanas! Nunchucks! Axes!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

And then there's ones like this:

At this point you may as well just remove the scythe part and use it as a spear.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Ares wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:02 pm Yeah, the only scythes I've ever seen that looked semi-plausible were the sci-fi ones where the blade is made of energy.
The problems with a scythe are based in the advantages of a large blade. A large blade lets you sweep out large sections of hurt, which is great stuff. But for a 90 degree blade scythe to use that large section of hurt, it has to be either thrust (trivial to deal with, since there's only one way to do it) or pulled back (have to get the bade behind them first and not have them kill you while you do so). And when swung, the weapon might as well be a heavier and worse-balanced pole-pick or pole-axe.
An energy blade would mitigate the heaviness and balance, but it still wouldn't get any real benefit from the blade length unless you had a swivel emitter. Like Gundam Deathscythe, actually.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Grass, as you may have heard, is not known for wearing heavy armor, using shields, or really putting up much of a fight. It doesn’t even run away very fast. Hell, grass will usually lose a fight with a cow. Its true! Scientists have proved it!
Someone clearly has not heard of the dreaded Bamboo, thats some badass grass. grows taller then some trees and is used to make Shinai or rattan sticks with. :P
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Nunya B wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:29 pm Like Gundam Deathscythe, actually.
That and a few Mega Man X weapons were what I was thinking about.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Bullwhip

Post by Jabroniville »

BULLWHIP (6 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Middle Ages Farming implement
Type of Damage: Bludgeoning, Slashing
Typical Make: Long twined rope, ended in multiple loose strings
Manner of Use: Held with one hand, and cracked in under or overhand motion, extending the end to a sonic-boom inducing crack.
Variants on Design: Various sizes and shapes available, some minor whips for horses, others are incredibly long.
Famous Wielders: Indiana Jones, El Hombre, Catwoman, Devo

Stats: Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Reach 4, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip) -- (6 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 4

Positives & Negatives:
+ Can roll up into a pretty small circle.
+ Improved Disarm & Trip stack with the Advantage, should the character have them.
+ Can Choke or grapple at range.
+ LOUD- the Bullwhip actually creates a crack that is a miniature sonic boom. This can startle people, or even intimidate them, despite the relative non-lethality of the weapon.

- Extremely difficult to use without proper training- may have a "Practice Required" caveat to use anywhere near effecively.
- Can be easily grappled or Disarmed should a stronger man be grappled with it.
- LOUD. Can't really be used stealthily, unless you're choking someone with it.

-Bullwhips are somewhat common, considering their lack of utility as a weapon in real life- it CAN be used as a weapon, but against proper fighters with real weapons? It'd get grappled immediately. It's horrendously impractical, and very difficult to hit a moving target. They get used a lot in fiction partially because they're non-fatal (even in real-life they mostly cause nasty welts and scars- it's even difficult to kill someone ON PURPOSE with them!) and look cool. Also, the slinky seductress gets some "S&M" points for using one.

-Whips don't add anything to your Strength bonus, but they have assorted Advantages, and one of the best ranges available. Many comic book characters can use them effectively. In M&M, most weapons are viable since it's a Damage/Accuracy trade-off: in something like D&D, the Whip is usually a total crap weapon by comparison.
Jabroniville

Kusarigama

Post by Jabroniville »

KUSARIGAMA (5 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Japan
Typical Make: Weighted end and sickle blade attached by chain
Manner of Use: Used two-handed with weighted end grappling, and slicing with bladed end.
Variants on Design: Various lengths of chain
Famous Wielders: Probably some anime or video game dudes I'm forgetting.

Stats: Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split, Reach, Improved Disarm) -- (5 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 6

Positives & Negatives:
+ In comics, can easily be used to Multiattack.

- Extremely difficult to use without training.
- Easy to disarm or grapple the user with their own weapon.

-A little-seen and fairly esoteric weapon, the Kusarigama is that Sickle/Chain thingie seen in a few Japan-based stories. You don't see too many of them (I'm pretty sure just Ninja Jobbers do it), but it's pretty cool and unique nonetheless. In Lone Wolf and Cub, Ogami Itto figures a dude has one in secret (the blade rockets out of the chamber), because he's too confident in his chances against a Samurai/Ronin, despite being armed with a "mere stick"- "What else could it be but a kusarigama?", I believe he says.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

A guy on YouTube made himself a kusarigama lightsaber. It is awesome and if I ever play in another Star Wars game, I am going to beg, plead, and bribe my GM into letting me have one.

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:28 pm A guy on YouTube made himself a kusarigama lightsaber. It is awesome and if I ever play in another Star Wars game, I am going to beg, plead, and bribe my GM into letting me have one.

OMG, I wish I had picked the Jedi class in the game I'm in, I would SO beg for this. I picked the Scoundrel path, though, so I could be Lando Lite. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Boomerangs

Post by Jabroniville »

BOOMERANG (9 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Australia (10,000 years ago)
Typical Make: Wooden shape, bent at an angle
Manner of Use: Thrown overhand into a spinning arc.
Variants on Design: Various sizes and shapes available, including X and W-shaped ones (variants like the Chakram known- a circular metal ring).
Famous Wielders: Crocodile Dundee, Captain Boomerang, Boomerang (Marvel), Boomslang (Serpent Society), Xena (Chakram version), Batman (Batarangs)

Stats: Blast 4 (Feats: Homing, Ricochet) (Diminished Range -1) -- (9 Equipment Points)
Maximum Damage: 4

Positives & Negatives:

- Extremely difficult to use without training.
- Somewhat Strength-Based. Someone who is very weak or has lowered Strength will likely lose some points of damage. In reality, the weapon is probably Ranged Strength-Based Damage.

-Boomerangs are ludicrously common in comic-books, seeing as how they're not really an effective weapon of war, but look cool visually. Since they only do 4 points of Damage, they're not THAT effective, but Homing & Ricochet were tailor-made for this kind of weapon (note: Hunting boomerangs were typically not made to return), which can be used to nail someone even if you miss the first time around. I don't care for the "Boomerang-users Feint a lot" explanation from the rulebooks. Extreme users and Gadgeteers from the comics not only have Multiattack, but likely multiple ranks of Ricochet for being able bounce them around. For Xena's Chakram (which bounces around and hits everybody), it does less damage (+3), but has Area- 30ft. Shapeable, costing 9 Equipment Points. The longest Boomerang shot in history is over 1,000 feet long (to mimic that, you'd have to add a few ranks of Extended Range), though accuracy tends to go to hell at that range. In general, this is one of those Weapons that can entirely vary in cost based off of the skill level of the user: Range, Ricochet ranks and more can vary.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Dagnabbit. Had I known boomerangs were actually going to show up, I'd have saved my "Batarangs Are Under Powered" meme for today.
Jabroniville

Shuriken

Post by Jabroniville »

SHURIKEN (3 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Japan
Type of Damage: Slashing, Piercing
Typical Make: Sharp metallic objects, generally in star or dart shape
Manner of Use: Thrown overhand or like a dart.
Variants on Design: Technically any metal throwing object counts.
Famous Wielders: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (well... the toys), Elektra, Bullseye, The Hand

Stats: Blast 2 (Diminished Range -1) -- (3 Equipment Points)

Positives & Negatives:
+ Very concealable, and could be nearly any shape (but most people use stars, cuz that's cooler)
+ Distracting and stealthy- generally a good first attack, as it still hides your position.

- Incapable of damaging heavily-armored opponents.
- Somewhat Strength-Based. Someone who is very weak or has lowered Strength will likely lose some points of damage. In reality, the weapon is probably Ranged Strength-Based Damage.

-Shuriken (or "Throwing Stars") became a giant cliche in the 1980s when the whole "Ninja" thing hit it big, and they're still used today, generally as an opening salvo from a ninja opponent. Often thrown Multiattack-style, they were actually not meant to be lethal implements in the old days- just a distraction (or as a caltrops to cut someone's feet as they chased you). You were to throw them at pursuers to give yourself an extra few seconds to escape capture, not fire a metal blade into someone and kill them. I mean, tiny little metal stars would hurt like a BITCH, but generally can't kill you. They might be coated in some kind of poison, as well.

-I've seen a FEW instances of Shuriken-based death in the comics, but generally only to Jobbers (or Bullseye's victims- and he can do it with PAPER CLIPS, so there's already some suspension of disbelief there). The damage content is thus rather low, even for fictionalized versions.
Jabroniville

Bolas

Post by Jabroniville »

BOLAS (6 ep)
Place/Time of Origin:
Pre-Columbian South America
Type of Damage: None (Snare)
Typical Make: Two Heavy weights, attached by a rope
Manner of Use: Thrown like a lasso
Variants on Design: Technically any snared thing counts
Famous Wielders: Zorro (I think), Batman, Gauchos

Stats: Snare 4 (Flaws: Unreliable- 5 Uses) (Diminished Range -2) -- (6 Equipment Points)

Positives & Negatives:
+ Relatively small and easy to carry multiples.

- You pretty much have to go get them when you throw them.
- Doesn’t really do any damage, unless the guy gets hurt while falling.

-Bolas get seen a lot since they’re another non-fatal attack, and were used rarely in war by the Inca people. Gauchos (Hispanic Cowboys, sorta) used them like Lassos to snare cattle. Pretty handy for Street-Level Heroes to get rid of a henchman or two without having to attack them. Sometimes TOO effective, as guys get KO’d when they hit the floor. This happened routinely on Batman: The Animated Series, with guys slamming down chin-first when ensnared- I find it unlikely that a grown man can be knocked out so easily by a trip, but that's why they're Mooks.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That’s also why he’s the Batman.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

One of my favorite little changes from 2e to 3e is that minions suffer the worst degree of any successful attack, not just damaging ones. So they get completely taken out of a fight when Batman throws a bola at them and they fall over for the same reason they get completely taken out of a fight when he sweeps the leg and they fall over.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

this was one of my wait a minutes when deadliest warrior did the ninja versus spartan episode. they basically said the guy would just throw the shuriken as is which would do nothing to a bronze armored tank like a spartan.

the reality is the ninja used shuriken as jab said as a distraction yes but also as an assassination weapon by dosing them with blowfish toxin or similar poisons. the thing didn't kill you the nasty crap they smear on you however stops your heart.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories