Jab’s Builds! (Sword of Sodan! Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Jessica Jones! Chemistro! The Purple Man!)

Post by Ares »

Doctor Victor Von Doom. Accept no substitutes.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

I think Flash's Rogues follow a similar philosophy. Not about rape specifically, those books don't generally get that grim, but just that they kind of self-police one another to keep themselves from going too far. At least, certain runs (and the JLU cartoon) implied some kind of arrangement like that.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Yojimbo wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:35 am I think Flash's Rogues follow a similar philosophy. Not about rape specifically, those books don't generally get that grim, but just that they kind of self-police one another to keep themselves from going too far. At least, certain runs (and the JLU cartoon) implied some kind of arrangement like that.
This was actually the underlying concept behind a couple of storylines, pre-Flashpoint, where the “old school” Rogue’s led by Captain Cold basically went to war with the “new school” guys.

Captain Cold’s guys basically operated on a sort of Hollywood-ized Mafia Movie code of conduct: they didn’t target kids, they didn’t target family, they didn’t kill without good reason, and so on and so forth.

The “new school” guys were all Nineties Dark Age bloodgun thunderpunch grimdark grittyangst types. My favorite scene had one of them try to surprise attack Captain Cold. Snart quick draws, traps him in a block of ice, and then reminds everyone present that he’d been fighting a guy who can run at nearly lightspeed for longer than any other villain in the twin cities...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Kickback

Post by Jabroniville »

KICKBACK (Richard Yurocko)
Created By:
Mark McLaurin & Scott Benediel
First Appearance: Cage #2 (May 1992)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Corporation, Assassin Nation, The Untouchables
PL 7 (71)
STRENGTH
2/5 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+4, +9 Legs)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Assassin) 4 (+5)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Guns), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Super-Legs"
Enhanced Strength 3 (Flaws: Limited to Legs) [3]
"Kick Back in Time" Movement 1 (Time Travel 1- 3 Minutes in the Past) (2) -- [3]
  • AE: "Kick Forward in Time" Movement 1 (Time Travel 1- 3 Minutes in the Future) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Legs +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Guns +8 (+4-6 Ranged Damage, DC 19-21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Richard kills for money.
Responsibility (Troubled Women)- Richard has a past with a troubled woman, and so is sympathetic to women in danger.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 7 (71)

-A truly weird character, Kickback is allied with "The Untouchables", a group of super-villains (Tombstone & Nitro) working for Hardcore, then Luke Cage's Big Bad. When the group starts infighting, Kickback leaves with Hardcore, and joins up with The Corporation's Untouchables. His weird power includes Super-Strong Legs, and the ability to move forward or backwards in time by three minutes each. HOW he got these powers is not explained, but it's used in-story to showcase various characters being killed (like The Punisher, who was being included to shore up Cage's sales, as he was hugely-popular at the time), and Kickback going back in time to "fix" it. Eventually, he allies with Dakota North on a case (he's not particularly-evil or bloodthirsty for an assassin), but ends up being shot by her thanks to a mistake (he assumes that Hardcore shot her, and goes back in time to undo it- she is startled by him, and opens fire), then shot by THE PUNISHER for the same reason. He dies of his wounds, kind of looking like an idiot.

-Kickback is a simple Assassin build with a VERY cheap power that can actually be rather effective if you want to "fix" mistakes in-battle. His silly powers are probably why he was killed off.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:01 am Killgrave has an awesome name, but he's got nothing on DOOM.

Doom is not to be trifled with. Love that moment.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Here’s a page from one of the stories I was referencing; Chillblaine (the douche in yellow) was the abusive boyfriend and partner-in-crime of Golden Glider (Snart’s sister). Chillblaine has double-crossed and murdered Glider, running to the mob for protection from a vengeful Captain Cold. Cold intimidated the mob into backing down and murdered the hell out of Chillblaine.
Jabroniville

Contract

Post by Jabroniville »

CONTRACT (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
First Appearance: Cage #13 (April 1993)
Group Affiliations: The Corporation, Assassin Nation
PL 7 (99)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+5)
Deception 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Guns), Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Energy Rings"
Ring Blast 6 Linked to Snare 7 (33) -- [34]
  • AE: Force Field 3 (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Guns +7 (+4-6 Ranged Damage, DC 19-21)
Rings +7 (+6 Ranged Damage & +7 Ranged Affliction, DC 21 & 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4 (+7 Ring Field), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Contract kills for money.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 6 (99)

-Contract was an additional member of Assassin Nation, and the one with the least focus. He used little Energy Rings as shields and weapons (a Snare/Blast combination), and was presumed slain when the Corporation's headquarters was annihilated by Coldfire.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

While the insane murderous villains will always have a place (the stories they appear can be great as long as there's significant gaps between them) most of the villains I actually like are those that are not 'pure evil', they see themselves as professional criminals, they're not insane, they're not out to rule the world and though they may try to bluff their way out of a situation by threatening to murder civilians they would never actually do it. I also enjoy when they occasionally show a bit of heroism by helping out the established hero.

Yes Jab, I'm one of those who likes the Shocker and I think it's partly because he's this type of character.
Last edited by M4C8 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Re: Contract

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:23 am Image

You don't see a lot of men in comics rocking garter belts and hose these days. You do you, Contract. Live your best life.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:01 am Killgrave has an awesome name, but he's got nothing on DOOM.

You know, I'm going to be the weirdo here and say I don't actually like this. These kinds of "Because I'm BATMAN" moments feel unearned and arbitrary to me. I don't have any affection for Purple Man, or even interest in him, but if I did I'd say something like this cheapens him a lot more than it elevates Doom.
Ken

Re: Contract

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:29 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:23 am Image

You don't see a lot of men in comics rocking garter belts and hose these days. You do you, Contract. Live your best life.
I thought he was wearing trunks and boots over arse-less chaps.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Whatever he’s wearing, it’s the kind of dynamic, fashion-forward uniqueness that we need to see more of. It really compliments his balding-but-pony-tailed hairdo.
Jabroniville

Troubleshooter

Post by Jabroniville »

TROUBLESHOOTER I (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
First Appearance: Cage #13 (April 1993)
Group Affiliations: The Corporation, Assassin Nation
PL 7 (77)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+5)
Deception 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Guns), Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Generic Energy Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Guns +7 (+4-6 Ranged Damage, DC 19-21)
Energy Blast +7 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Troubleshooter kills for money.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 8 (77)

-Good LORD, there was absolutely zero thought put into this character. She looks generic (that's barely even a COSTUME), she has Generic Energy Blasts, she receives no real name, and she dies soon after her debut. Seriously, this build took maybe a minute to put together from using Contract's as a Template.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Nice, uh... shoulder-belt.
Jabroniville

Lionfang

Post by Jabroniville »

LIONFANG (Alejandro Cortez)
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Billy Graham
First Appearance: Luke Cage: Power Man #13 (Sept. 1973)
Role: One-Shot Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (144)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 3 (+6)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Animal Trainer) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Animal Empathy, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Helmet For Mind-Transfer" (Flaws: Removable) [61]
Comprehend (Humans) 2 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0 (4)
Variable 8 (Powers of Others) (56)
Electrical Blast 8 (16)
-- (76 points)

Sample Power-Set (Tiger)- 39 points
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Enhanced Stamina 2 (4)
Enhanced Agility 3 (6)
"Hitting Power" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
Protection 1 (1)
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) (5)
Speed 4 (32 mph) (4)
"Cold-Based Hunter" Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Cold) (2)
"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 (2)
Enhanced Advantages 8: All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Hold, Prone Fighting (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Tiger Strength +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4 (+7 Tiger Power), Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Activism)- Gary was an activist who turned to crime after realizing that peaceful protests accomplished nothing. Eventually, he "needs work" so he shifts mostly towards Greed.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 8 (144)

-Lionfang is CRAZY. He was, of course, a Professor who lost his funding, and was bound to Show Them All. Just another one-shot Luke Cage villain who got forgotten for decades by all but The Gru, Lionfang had built a device that allows him to gain powers and skills from anyone around him (he uses it to gain the powers of Big Cats), and give the ability to speak to his own trained animals, which is about the GREATEST INVENTION OF ALL TIME, so of course he failed quickly against Cage, and seemingly-died in the hero's arms after a nasty fall.

-He hadn't shown up for years, and was claimed to be killed by The Red Skull's personal "Scourge of the Underworld", but has turned up alive, being a crippled heroin dealer thanks to the fall against Cage.

-Talk about an expensive Jobber- Lionfang uses trained Big Cats as Minions or standard villains (depending on how tough the GM wants to make the fight), but I left that part unstatted (it'd be something like Minion 7 times five or six to add up to all the Big Cats, unless you House-Ruled it like the Summon power and double the Minions for each "Extra" 7 ranks). But his supreme Device is the bulk of his cost (seriously- why has nobody else thought to COPY that thing? It's basically the powers of David "Prodigy" Alleyne, but available for ANYONE), allowing a combo of Variable, Comprehend (communicating with Humans is kind of a Power to an Animal), and an Electrical Blast as well. Versatile and potentially quite powerful, but he's still only PL 8. In the adventure he appears in, he uses a Lion, a Lioness, a Tiger, a Jaguar and a Black Panther to do his bidding, giving them all the ability to speak English and Spanish.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.