Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Circus of Crime! Chtylok! Millie the Model!)

Post by L-Space »

Samurai Shodown is one of those games that I loved, but was never able to play much. See no one I knew actually owned this game, but for whatever reason most hotels/motels I stayed in on vacations had a Samurai Shodown or NEO GEO SNK arcade machine and I would sink all my money on it.

At the time Galford was my favorite because (he was ninja and had a dog sidekick!!!), followed closely by the cool looking Haohmaru. I have a feeling if I played it nowadays my favorites would be a bit different though.
Formerly luketheduke86
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Circus of Crime! Chtylok! Millie the Model!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Samruai Shodown VI also had some..odd newcomers. Like, while there's the super fanservice-y crane maid and Bishonen Andrew Jackson, there's also a big goofy dude with a huge cannon, and some kind of wooden robot..thing. I still don't know how to describe Ochamaro Karakuri..though they're a really unique character for the series.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Chtylok! Millie the Model! Samurai Shodown!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Unfortunately, my new phone apparently has no “Select All” feature, making a full roster list impossible within a reasonable timeframe. But I’ll be getting to all of the playable characters from the 2D games.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Best I could do:

Full Roster:
Samurai Shodown 1:
Nakoruru- Adorable little nature lover.
Haohmaru- The Main Character.
Charlotte- French Fencer. Haughty, arrogant and wearing men's armor. Perfection.
Ukyo- Doomed Iaido practitioner.
Jubei- One-eyed Samurai with two-weapon style.
Galford- American ninja with doggie helper.
Hanzo- Best ninja.
Earthquake- Big fat highwayman.
Genan- Demonic murderer. Family man.
Wan-Fu- Would-be dictator.
Kyoshiro- Kabuki warrior.
Tam Tam- South American lunatic.
Kuoroko- Referee/scorer.
Amakusa- Demonic destroyer. Final Boss.

Samurai Shodown 2:
Sieger- German Warrior. Huge fist.
Genjuro- Most badass-looking swordsman ever.
Cham Cham- Catgirl.
Nicotine- Wise old monk.
Mizuki- Demonic female. Final boss.

Samurai Shodown 3:
Rimururu- Nakoruru's sister.
Basara- Possessed warrior.
Gaira- Giant using beads to fight.
Shizumaru- Possessed little boy.

Samurai Shodown 4:
Kazuki & Sogetsu- Ninja brothers. Fire & Ice.
Gaoh- Final Boss.

Samurai Shodown 5-6:
Kusaregedo- Giant monster.
Yunfei- Crouching Tiger guy.
Sugoroku- Nudist with cannon.
Mina- Archer.
Iroha- Meido.
Tokugawa- Future Shogun with shitloads of swords.
Andrew- Bishonen Andrew Jackson. Uses musket and bayonet.
Ocha-Maru- Living puppet.
Zankuro- Another Demonic Final Boss.

Plus tons of Sprite Clones in the end.
Jabroniville

Nakoruru

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

"Scourge of the Ainu, prepare to die."

NAKORURU
First Appearance:
Samurai Shodown (1993)
Game Appearances: Samurai Shodown I-VI, SS 2019, Samurai Shodown 64 & Warrior's Rage, SNK (vs) Capcom 1 & 2, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, King of Fighters XIV
Home Country: Northern Japan (the Ainu Tribes)
Weapon: Short Sword
Role: The Main Heroine, The Innocent Girl, Demon-Fighter, Cute Young Girl, Fragile Speedster
PL 9 (163)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Close Combat (Sword) 1 (+15)
Expertise (Ainu Maiden) 12 (+13)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+6)
Insight 6 (+10)
Perception 6 (+10)
Persuasion 5 (+9)
Ranged Combat (Mamahaha Dive) 6 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment 1 (Short Sword), Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Diving Slash), Improved Critical (Mamahaha Dive), Improved Critical (Rising Slash), Improved Critical (Falcon Leap), Improved Initiative 2, Minion 7 (Mamahaha), Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2

Samurai Shodown Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort (Super Move), Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Chosen Weapon), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Heavy Attack), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Shodown Fighter" Features 1: Adds Weapon Damage to Special Moves [1]
"Mamahaha Flight" Feature 1: May Reduce Mass Enough to Be Carried By Falcon [1]
"Ainu Maiden" Senses 2 (Detect Demonic Energy- Ranged) [2]

"Special Moves" (All Have Flaws: Requires Signature Weapon)
"Yatoro Poku/Kamui Mutsube- Spinning Leap From Falcon" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Fire & Slashing Damage) (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Source- Falcon Riding) Linked to Affliction 3 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (6) -- [11]
  • AE: "Kamui Ryuse- Cloak Whip" Deflect 5 (Extras: Reflect) (Flaws: Source- Cloak) (5)
  • AE: "Quadruple Cloak Whip" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 3 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (5)
  • AE: "Leyla Mutsube- Rising Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Annu Mutsube- Diving Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) & Enhanced Dodge 2 (3)
  • AE: "Mamahaha Dive" Blast 4 (Flaws: Source- Pet Falcon) (Reduced Defenses 2) (2)
Equipment:
"Short Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Short Sword +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Multiattack Moves +14 (+3 Damage & Affliction, DC 18 & 13)
Mamahaha Dive +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (+15 Diving Slash, DC 23-25), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +9

Complications:
Motivation (Fighting Evil)- Nakoruru has devoted her life to defeating evil forces and serving the kami of Japan.
Weakness (Predictability)- Nakoruru cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to her Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 20 + 12 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 15 (163)

-Nakoruru, while not as iconic to the series as Haohmaru, is arguably its "Main Hero", as she's usually the one most devoted to stopping the bad guy. Unlike the other Japanese characters, she is not ethnically Japanese- she is an Ainu, of the indigenous population of the Northern Japanese islands. They were usually left alone, but eventually Japan actively and intrusively settled Hokkaido (the northernmost large island of the nation), and the Ainu have been living on borrowed time ever since- subject to subtle discrimination (the only kind the Japanese ever engage in any longer) and barely able to keep their old culture alive, thanks to people marrying out of the culture or just hiding and/or forgetting the old ways. Basically, the same thing that happens to every ancient culture, except they already had all the diseases.

-Nakoruru, despite being Ainu, is your "Ideal Japanese Girl", being short, dark-haired and cute, and being very kind and shy. However, she is a fierce battler, engaging with those who have evil hearts. A maiden born into a family of the same (um, well, presumably ONE of them wasn't...), she has a pet hawk named Mamahaha who fights on her behalf as well, and she was critical to Haohmaru's defeat of the first game's Final Boss, Amakusa.

-In the second game, Nakoruru reunites with Haohmaru because the kami of nature have been sucked into the Makai (demon) World- she must defeat Mizuki, the new Final Boss. In the end, she sacrificed her life, becoming a spirit of nature herself- a kami. However, in Samurai Shodown III, she takes human form to fight the new demons, allying with her Suddenly-Introduced Sibling, Rimururu.

-Nakoruru's fighting style is a classic "Tick"-based style, devoted to making tons of tiny, quick attacks on the opponent, slowly wearing them down and then escaping counter-attack. This way, you eventually win the war of attrition. She has a lot of highly-mobile Specials which cross the screen in a low profile, as well as a Projectile Reflector, but in-game, you're expected to use a lot of throws to control the flow of battle. The tricky thing with replicating her in M&M tactics is that "controlling the battlefield", and her innate penalty at a distance (her reach is the shortest of almost all the characters in the serise), is that M&M doesn't really have the complexity to handle that kind of stuff- the latter of which would likely manifest as a penalty to hit, which is contrary to her "low-damage speedster" fighting style in M&M game terms- it'd make her REALLY weak overall if you left it that way. You're better off just keeping her high-accuracy, assuming that this is how the "tick-based" damage works- multiple slashes now count as "more likely to hit", in a way.

-Samurai Shodown features characters who have pets who engage in some attacks. Typically, they only sit behind their fighter, but these characters use Ranged Attacks using the animal, which lashes out, then returns to their spot. I write this up as a Blast, since that's effectively what it is- not really a proper "Minion", since you can't attack it back. She can also leap into her Falcon's claws, and be CARRIED by it across the stage! This is usually meant to lure the enemy into attacking, at which point you can dive out with a better-timed attack from his airborne position.

MAMAHAHA- Nakoruru's Falcon
Role:
Fastest Animal Around
PL 5 (62)- Minion Rank 7
Normal Version:
PL 2-3
STRENGTH -3 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 6 (+3)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+6)
Perception 10 (+10)

Advantages:
Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended, Ultra & Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Talons & Beak" Strength-Damage +4 [4]

Flight 8 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [8]

"Tiny Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (1 foot) [17]
(-2 Strength, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Natural Weapons +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness -1, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Birds cannot speak to humans, nor use their talons to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 12 (62)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I've always had a special place in my heart for my first Video Game Wifu here....Despite the fact her&my Princesses keep trying to kill each other's pets....

Play standpoint,she was durn good if you played the 'Stick-n-Move' game.Ancestor's help you if you got cornered with her,as she got gave BEATINGS to in my neighborhood arcade....

Oh yeah,almost forgot to ask;Is there a gang in Mega-City based on this Game?.....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

One interesting thing about Shodown is how it took until 2005 to add much Fanservice to the series. Before that, women mostly wore period clothing, albeit with some flourishes here and there.

As for the gangs... there might as well be :).
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I'm not sure if the Animal Buddies of this game would fit more as sidekicks or minions. All of them are even playable in 6.
L-Space

Re: Nakoruru

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 am -Nakoruru, while not as iconic to the series as Haohmaru, is arguably its "Main Hero", as she's usually the one most devoted to stopping the bad guy. Unlike the other Japanese characters, she is not ethnically Japanese- she is an Ainu, of the indigenous population of the Northern Japanese islands. They were usually left alone, but eventually Japan actively and intrusively settled Hokkaido (the northernmost large island of the nation), and the Ainu have been living on borrowed time ever since- subject to subtle discrimination (the only kind the Japanese ever engage in any longer) and barely able to keep their old culture alive, thanks to people marrying out of the culture or just hiding and/or forgetting the old ways. Basically, the same thing that happens to every ancient culture, except they already had all the diseases.

-Nakoruru, despite being Ainu, is your "Ideal Japanese Girl", being short, dark-haired and cute, and being very kind and shy. However, she is a fierce battler, engaging with those who have evil hearts. A maiden born into a family of the same (um, well, presumably ONE of them wasn't...), she has a pet hawk named Mamahaha who fights on her behalf as well, and she was critical to Haohmaru's defeat of the first game's Final Boss, Amakusa.
I'm surprised they had her be Ainu, since one: most of Japan like to pretend they don't exist, and second:they then made herlooks nothing like someone of Ainu descent.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:37 pm I'm not sure if the Animal Buddies of this game would fit more as sidekicks or minions. All of them are even playable in 6.
They, and the “do powers work without their weapons?”, thing, are HUGE parts of why I hesitated on this set for so long. I mean, the animals turning into energy is just a “Fireball” in game mechanics, but could be anything in M&M- Blast, Animal-based Strike, etc.

The other thing holding me back was the ENORMOUS roster, which spiraled out of control so much that this set might take as long to do as SF II did. The Sprite Clone guys add 8-9 names to things.
Jabroniville

Rimururu

Post by Jabroniville »

RIMURURU
First Appearance:
Samurai Shodown III (1995)
Game Appearances: Samurai Shodown III-VI, SS 2019, Samurai Shodown 64 & Warrior's Rage
Weapon: ... Floating... Ice... Crystal thingie? (aka Konril) & Knife
Role: Spin-Off Character (to Nakoruru), The Innocent Girl, Demon-Fighter, Cute Young Girl, Fragile Speedster
PL 8 (140)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 11 (+12)
Close Combat (Sword) 1 (+13)
Expertise (Ainu Maiden) 10 (+11)
Insight 6 (+9)
Perception 6 (+9)
Persuasion 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Konril Attacks) 4 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+7)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment 1 (Knife), Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Konril Attacks), Improved Critical (Freezing Grab), Improved Critical (Falcon Leap), Improved Initiative 2, Quick Drawn, Ranged Attack 2

Samurai Shodown Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort (Super Move), Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Chosen Weapon), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Heavy Attack), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:

"Special Moves"
"Konril Shira- Ice From Above" Blast 5 (Feats: Indirect- From Above) (Reduced Defenses 2, Diminished Range -2) (5) -- [10]
  • AE: "Konril Attacks" Blast 5 (Reduced Defenses 2, Diminished Range -2) (4)
  • AE: "Konrul Nonrul- Ice From Below" Blast 5 (Feats: Reach) (Reduced Defenses 2, Diminished Range -2) (5)
  • AE: "Rupu Tu Nu Tiu- Freezing Grab" Damage 5 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (5)
  • AE: "Kamui Shtokke- Ice Wall" Deflect 5 (Extras: Reflect) (Reduced Defenses 2, Diminished Range -2) (4)
  • AE: "Upon Wo- Ice Shards" Blast 3 (Extras: Multiattack) (Reduced Defenses 3, Diminished Range -1) (2)
Equipment:
"Knife" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Short Sword +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Freezing Grab +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Konril Attacks +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Fighting Evil)- Rimururu has devoted her life to defeating evil forces and serving the kami of Japan.
Relationship (Nakoruru)- Rimururu is devoted to her older sister, and is heartbroken by her death. She can still feel Nakoruru's presence, and meets her from time to time when she reappears in the land of the living.
Weakness (Predictability)- Rimururu cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to her Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 11 + 12 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 14 (140)

-Rimururu is the sister of Nakoruru, major character from the first couple games, and debuted in the third Samurai Shodown game. And, just showing how memorable random stuff from your childhood can be, I STILL RECALL reading the GamePro review of SSIII complaining about new characters, "like Nakoruru's useless sister, Rimururu".

-She also shows the series dropping further away from Standard-Issue Fantasy, by using a magical floating crystal as a weapon instead of, you know, a real blade. When Nakoruru dies and goes into the spirit world, her sister takes over as the primary Maiden defending the world. However, as Nako returns in EVERY GAME, this makes Rimu a very, very redundant character, simply adding another "Tiny Girl Fighter" to the game series. Fighters Generation shares this sentiment, pointing out "Fighting game fact #27: When one character in a 2D fighting game series gains a certain amount of popularity (in this case, Nakoruru), a "clone" eventually appears in a sequel, sharing many of the same attributes & appearance as the original character." That said, her fighting style is a fair bit different in the game.

-Rimururu fights similarly to her sister in M&M terms, at least, in that they're small, dextrous characters who specialize in slowly wearing down opponents and being hard to hit. Her tiny knife doesn't do much damage, but her "Konril" ice-thing that follows her around definitely does, acting as a fairly large, close-range projectile. This makes her one of the few Shodown characters who can do most of her special moves when disarmed, as the Konril is always floating directly behind her. It's more damaging than many Projectile attacks (the icicles, notably, are VERY BIG), though typically has a much shorter range. There's a few different variants, coming from above, below, the side, and even a Deflect and a Multiattack option.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Rimururu might be a bit redundant, but she's certainly unique by having the ice spirit thing with her. And MAN, that Arranged Soundtrack version of her theme from the third game: https://youtu.be/-O4WLICaXiE
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

awwwww yeaaaaaaaah boooooooy Samurai Showdown! Been waiting for this for a while.

I was OBSESSED with this game in 7th grade (well the second one) because as Jab said....the style! Hell some of those special moves (particularly Caffeine Nicotine's) looked awesome.
Jabroniville

Rera

Post by Jabroniville »

"I am nature's vengeance, and you will pay tenfold!"

RERA (aka Nakoruru)
First Appearance:
Samurai Shodown V (2003)
Game Appearances: Samurai Shodown V-VI
Weapon: Short Sword
Role: Dark Version (or Nakoruru)
PL 9 (138)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Close Combat (Sword) 1 (+14)
Expertise (Ainu Maiden) 12 (+13)
Insight 6 (+10)
Perception 6 (+10)
Persuasion 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment 1 (Short Sword), Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Kanto Shikite), Improved Critical (Imeru Shikite), Improved Critical (Rising Slash), Improved Critical (Falcon Leap), Improved Initiative 2, Minion 4 (Shikuruu), Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:

"Special Moves" (All Have Flaws: Requires Signature Weapon)
"Kamui Fumu Kesupu- Air Throw" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Turn) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Kanto Shikite- Upper Diagonal Rush" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Imeru Shikite- Lower Diagonal Rush" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Equipment:
"Short Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Short Sword +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +9

Complications:
Motivation (Finding Her Father)- The vicious Rera will have no mercy on any living thing that gets in her way.
Responsibility (Nakoruru's Personality)- Rera is much less aggressive in her regular state.
Weakness (Predictability)- Nakoruru cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to her Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 17 + 12 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 14 (138)

-Another cheap Sprite Clone, Rera is just Nakoruru with some trappings changed. She has somewhat of a basis in the story, however, as a "Dark Nakoruru" has been in conception since Samurai Shodown II. They were at least clever enough to switch up her pet, giving her an Evil Wolf ally (Galford's Poppy given a Clone treatment) instead of another Falcon.

-Rera's origin is that she is the aggressive, "empty", remorseless part of Nakoruru's personality, having awakened when she was knocked out and nearly killed by a vicious bear- she lashes out, promising to show no mercy on any living thing. She is brusque with people questioning her, announces she's not there to fight evil, and more- she just wants to find her missing father.
-Rera fights similarly to Nakoruru, but lacks the varied offense- she only has a handful of moves, and cannot ride a Falcon- she can ride the Wolf, but this has few effects other than being a launching point for some of her specials. She's less charismatic and more likely to use Power or All-Out Attack than Nakoruru, though.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Jubei

Post by Jabroniville »

YAGYU JUBEI
First Appearance:
Samurai Shodown I (1993)
Game Appearances: Samurai Shodown I-VI, SS 2019
Home Country: Japan
Weapon: Daisho (Katana & Wakizashi as Paired Weapons)
Role: The Veteran
PL 10 (154)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Samurai) 11 (+13)
Insight 4 (+8)
Perception 6 (+10)
Persuasion 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment 1 (Daisho), Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Overhead Slash), Improved Critical (Moonlight Reflection- Blast), Improved Critical (Multiattack), Improved Critical (Special Moves), Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:

"Special Moves" (Most Have Flaws: Requires Signature Weapon)
"Eight Aspects Explosive Blast" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 5 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (Inaccurate -1) (7) -- [10]
  • AE: "Standard SNK Sliding Blast" Blast 4 (Reduced Defenses 2) (1)
  • AE: "Doubled-Edged Silk Blade" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Instant Parry" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Missed Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Equipment:
"Daisho- Paired Katana & Wakizashi" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) (5)

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Daisho +14 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Multiattack +14 (+5 Damage & Affliction, DC 20 & 15)
Moonlight Reflection +13 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +16 (DC 26), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +9

Complications:
Motivation (Finding His Family)- Jubei's family disappeared many years ago.
Responsibility (The Shogunate)- The elder of his clan, and a respected samurai, Jubei must train many, including the son of the Shogun himself.
Weakness (Predictability)- Jubei cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 17 + 12 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 17 (154)

-Yagyu Jubei is an actual historical figure, a samurai that has appeared in numerous bits of fiction. The Samurai Shodown charater is an odd fit for the series, and one of the most "down-to-earth" designs, eschewing overly-fancy stuff, masks, wild hair, etc., for a very stoic "Guy in traditional gear with paired weapons" schtick. It makes him a good "basic" fighter, though he lacks the flash of Ukyo's blue hair or Haomaru's gigantic mane- a design like this is sort of what grounds the series, and allows for weird stuff like eight-foot-tall farting American Ninjas.

-Jubei was born the son of a poor samurai, but his skill caught the eye of a great one, who adopted him. Jubei eventually became leader of this Yagyu clan, and its secret Iga ninjas. One day, however, his family vanished without a trace- he has spent years searching for them, taking on the path of the "ronin" in search of personal enlightenment as well. His travels led him to easily defeat a young Haohmaru, inspiring him to show other strong warriors the power of his fighting style, Yagyu Shinkageryuu. In the first Shodown game, he's a simple agent of the government, sent to get rid of Amakusa. In a later one, he's training Tokugawa, the son of the Shogun, and has been sent to fetch him back after the leader's death.

-The real-life Yagyu Jubei Mitsuyoshi is one of those "historical figures" in Japanese history who's shrouded in myth and legend, because a lot of their lives were told posthumously. He is the son of the man who trained three Shoguns in the art of the sword, and is said to have developed into the mightiest of his clan's swordsmen, but was dismissed by the Shogun. The reasons vary- either Jubei's boldness/brashness, or his desire to embark on a "Warrior's Pilgrimage". He disappears from the historical record for twelve years, at which point he is reinstated by the Shogun, and becomes a trainer. Legend has it he only had one eye (said to have been lost during a sparring match against his father), though portraits show him with two. The unknown aspects of his life have led to a lot of romantic exaggeration, and he's a prototypical "Wandering Warrior" archetype in Japanese culture. Samurai Shodown's Jubei is only the most notable one to Westerners (though the main character of Ninja Scroll is apparnetly a direct homage as well), but there have been dozens of films based around his life.

-Jubei is a tricky one to figure out, as his backstory makes him out to be one of the best fighters ever, but he has little effect on the story of the games. An "Elder Statesman" type, he has experience, skill and tactics on his side. A big trait of the in-game character is to do an "Instant Parry" thing where he can immediately counterattack an enemy while parrying, doing instant damage. I figured this was best-used as a separate Special Move with a bonus to hit an opponent he parried last turn- something greatly benefitted by his +16 to Parry- one of the highest in the game. Gamers often compare him to Geese Howard, who has a very similar offensive output.

-His other moves are pretty simple- a Multiattack, a Blast (one of those traditional SNK "Sliding Blasts" that travel along the ground- they LOVE those), and generic "Hits Harder" kind of specials. A later game adds a different projectile, which in M&M has similar properties- it works like a smaller Blast, then he throws an additional Chi burst into it, creating a LARGER bolt of energy. Overall, Jubei is PL 8.5 with Blasts, PL 9.5 on offense, and PL 10 to Parry- a very capable, dangerous fighter.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.