Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shadow Knight! Disney Builds! Snow White! The Evil Queen!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:25 pmWhen I was a kid, I remember seeing a Snow White animated thing on VHS that I cannot find any hide nor hair of on the internet at all. All I remember is that there was a dwarf who would say "I have a question!" a lot.
Do you remember what the dwarf looked like? It might be one of these two
Image Image
Hey,i've actually watched the first one(decent attempt at a 'file-n-go' method of Cashing in on it without getting Disney's Bloodhounds after you)! :D
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ken wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:46 pm
M4C8 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:45 pm We didn't have the Disney Snow White on VHS when I was a kid, we did however have a live action Snow White movie that my sister watched a lot, it featured Diana Rigg as the Evil Queen. From what little I remember the Dwarfs had names like 'Iddy' and 'Biddy' and the evil Queen aged to dust and exploded at the end :)
IMDB says that version was 1987. Iddy was played by Billy Barty, who I remember seeing in a LOT of things in the 70s.

Clips of it can be found on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZJPAXPkPWg
Yep, that's the one, all I can say is that it was 'weird' and leave it at that (Though not as weird as some of the other things my sister watched seemingly constantly such as 'The Water Babies')
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I remember a sequel film where Snow White hangs out with the "Dwarfelles", each of whom have magical powers. There was your token "Arrogant One" who of course came around in the end :).
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:27 pm I remember a sequel filmwhere Snow White hangs out with the "Dwarfelles", each of whom have magical powers. There was your token "Arrogant One" who of course came around in the end :).
Yeah, I saw it at the theater as well, but I don't think I've ever seen it on VHS or any other home video support.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

M4C8 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:45 pm We didn't have the Disney Snow White on VHS when I was a kid, we did however have a live action Snow White movie that my sister watched a lot, it featured Diana Rigg as the Evil Queen. From what little I remember the Dwarfs had names like 'Iddy' and 'Biddy' and the evil Queen aged to dust and exploded at the end :)
totes remember that. I think it was one of the Cannon Films fairy tales. They did a Princess and the Frog style movie as well and I think a Hansel and Gretel one with Cloris Leachman as the witch
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

M4C8 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:04 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:46 pm
IMDB says that version was 1987. Iddy was played by Billy Barty, who I remember seeing in a LOT of things in the 70s.

Clips of it can be found on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZJPAXPkPWg
Yep, that's the one, all I can say is that it was 'weird' and leave it at that (Though not as weird as some of the other things my sister watched seemingly constantly such as 'The Water Babies')

haha...I remember that one too
Jabroniville

Pinocchio

Post by Jabroniville »

PINOCCHIO (1940):
Written by:
Carlo Collodi (original serial), Aurelius Battaglia, William Cottrell, Otto Englander, Erdman Penner, Joseph Sabo, Ted Sears & Webb Smith

-Pinocchio was the second Disney film produced, and now one of the most iconic, though like most of the post-Snow White canon, it initially failed at the box office due to World War II, and only made it's money back through the "every seven years" re-releasing. Thematically, it's one of the darkest Disney movies (keep in mind this is still the era where cartoons are 99% slapstick and gags), containing several bits that are straight-up Nightmare Fuel Incarnate. I mean, it's one thing to have constant kidnappings, but TURNING YOUNG BOYS INTO DONKEYS AND SELLING THEM TO THE SALT MINES!?!? And the Coachman GETS AWAY WITH IT!! Lampwick's freaked-out horrified reaction to his transformation makes the whole thing- an absolutely iconic moment for many young children.

The book Pinocchio was written in the 1880s by Carlo Collodi, and was originally a set of serials before being compiled into a book. The work wasn't translated into English until after he died, but became by far his most popular book, and an iconic story for children everywhere- God knows every piece of science fiction with a sentient robot must rip it off in SOME way. The actual character in the serials was a bit of an asshole- a mischievous prick who immediately abandoned his father/carver and went off on his own, getting into all manner of scrapes. Disney, being Disney, shaved some of the sharp edges off of the character, making him more clueless and naive instead of outright jerk-ish.

"Pinocchio" is sort of a series of shorts designed around one central purpose- Pinocchio wants to be a real boy, but must "do right" first, and yet is constantly led astray by a series of con-men. First Honest John cons him, then Stromboli tries to force him to become a singing & dancing act (not a well-thought-out plan, really- he's gonna flat-out tell him he's a prisoner and that he'll eventually kill him? On his first night on the job?), then The Coachman promises a life of joy on Pleasure Island, only to reveal that it's a plot to gain workers for the Salt Mines. In the end, Pinocchio & Gepetto get swallowed up by Monstro The Whale and make their mistake. One of the most terrifying Disney movies, but still retains the classic "Everything will work out in the end if you BELIEVE enough" ending.

Gepetto comes across a bit easily-forgiving (he also gains a deep affection for the boy instantly, as is usual for Disney, though usually in a romantic sense), Pinocchio seems like a tool, and Jiminy seems a bit unfortunate to get that terrible position as the Conscience of an easily-led, Naiive child.

Reception:
The movie lost money at first, but is now considered one of the more artistically brilliant Disney films, with the Monstro sequence in particular being a huge one.

Cultural Impact:
Though Pinocchio is a well-known story, this remains by far the most well-known and iconic version. The strings of When You Wish Upon A Star are, TO THIS DAY, the official song of the Walt Disney Corporation, so you'll see it in front of every animated movie they produce. Beat THAT for a recurring cultural impact! When Ultron taunts the Avengers in the Age of Ultron trailer, he quotes Pinocchio directly, "There are no strings on me...". The villains from the picture have had basically zero impact, alas- they're a bit too short-lived and same-y, so they have little cultural cache of their own. Most people couldn't even name them- even *I* couldn't!

The story features in the most infamously lame ride in most versions of Fantasyland- a simple Dark Ride featuring some random scenes from the movie, no big scares, and a dull ending. I mean, I was in the middle of Tokyo goddamn Disneyland, with TWO-HOUR LINES almost immediately after park opening, and what did I see? A ten friggin' minute line-up for the damn Pinocchio ride. Its reputation for lameness EXTENDS ACROSS OCEANS!!! You won't find a Pinocchio Head Character in the parks, but the Blue Fairy has made the occasional appearance. The most recurring character in the whole thing is actually Jiminy Cricket, voiced by Cliff Edwards (who would have been known to audiences of the 1940s)- Cliff would voice the character for years, but was an alcoholic drug addict who spent most of his life in dire financial straights (when he died, his body was unclaimed and sold to a medical school- an actors union had to buy it back, though Disney attempted to as well). Jiminy (just called "The Talking Cricket" in the original tale) was largely the creation of Ward Kimball, who was going to leave the Disney studio after having all of his work cut from Snow White- Walt convinced him to stay by making him the sole guy in charge of Jiminy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

And then Filmation made their own Pinocchio movie, Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night, which is apparently pretty dark (but I haven't seen it), and of course DIsney sued over it, but lost because Disney only owns the rights to their version of the story.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Monstro terrified me as a child, and I never saw the movie! We had a record (LP) that had the story, and there was a booklet attached to the record jacket with images from the story.

We also had a story book with a non-Disney version. The cover had a multi-layered picture that looked 3-D.

And the insides were all photos of models/puppets. And again, Monstro terrified me. Basically, for years, any picture of a whale that took up most of a page would terrify me. I could read MOST of the encyclopedia article on whales (and did), but I couldn't read the first two pages. But my terror did turn into fascination (hence reading the encyclopedia article). I still have numerous books on the subject.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Heh. One thing I like about Pinocchio here is that scene where the boys are going to pleasure island and you get some great foreshadowing

The coach is pulled by donkeys and you can the sad expressions on their faces because they know they're pulling others to the same fate they're condemned to.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Oh yeah, and one point that Emperor of the Night has over the Disney version- Disney's version never had a villain that looked like THIS:
Voiced by James Earl Jones, no less!
Jabroniville

Pinocchio Villains

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

EVERY PINOCCHIO VILLAIN
Played by:
Various
Role: Elite Mooks
PL 4 (51)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Whatever Their Actual Job Is) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +3

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (51)

-Most of the Pinocchio villains are pretty much variations of the same "Con Man" character- Stromboli wants a tap-dancing slave to make money, Honest John just wants to sell him, and The Coachman wants to sell him to the Salt Mines. I don't imagine any of these guys are overly-tough, but since they get up to some nefarious activities, they can probably hold their own in a fight. These stats befit just about any "Con Man" character.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

It struck me as funny.

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Fantasia

Post by Jabroniville »

FANTASIA (1940):
-One of Walt's big "Doing It For The Art" pictures, Fantasia was high concept even for the new art form of Animated Film. Walt REALLY wanted to add some culture to the genre, and so did a series of shorts based around pieces of classical music- stuff so elaborate it needed entirely new sound systems placed into theatres. Many of the features are world-famous, especially The Sorcerer's Apprentice (in which Mickey Mouse himself appears, screwing up a spell and setting hundreds of walking brooms about making a huge mess) and Night of Bald Mountain, which contains some of Disney's darkest, most frightening work. The whole thing is really just a masterwork of music and imagery combined, and the kind of thing you pretty much never see anymore. Walt had intended it to bring culture to the masses, and to gain additional segments over the years, so that viewers never saw the same version twice- the disappointing box office, and World War II, put an end to those plans. A few segments planned for the film were later rescored and used elsewhere in anthology features like Melody Time.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-Due to World War II, the feature actually lost money, but it was hailed by critics then and now as a masterpiece. And time and re-releases have been kind to it- adjusted for inflation, it's the #22 most-successful movie of all time in the US. Some of the only stuff that's disliked is the REALLY obvious racism of the Centaurette portion (in which lovely, graceful, light-skinned centaurettes are attended by thick-lipped, gap-toothed black one with nappy hair and a DONKEY lower body). But Mickey in the Sorcerer Hat is one of his iconic looks, featuring in the famous Fantasmic! character-based shows that end every night at the Disneyland resort, Hollywood Studios in Florida, and Tokyo DisneySea. It even led to an infamously bad piece of scenery and Hollywood Studios, as a large, multi-part "Sorcerer's Hat" became the Park Landmark, shoved right in front of the beautiful recreation of Grauman's Chinese Theatre (which is SUPPOSED to be the HS landmark). This thing sat at an angle in front of the theatre for YEARS before Disney quietly and casually just took it down one month, never to return.

Chernabog himself is the other most famous sequence, and is one of the few Disney Villains rarely joked about (one short in the '90s featured him cowering in fear of Michael Eisner, however).

Fantasia's credibility and respectability led to it being one of the few films in the Animated Canon to get a theatrical sequel (of sorts), with Fantasia 2000 being a largely forgotten Post-Renaissance film.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Chernabog

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

CHERNABOG
Played by:
None Could Ever Portray Such a Fearsome Creature
Role: The Goddamned Devil, Super Evil God of Doom and Terror, Nightmare Fuel Incarnate
PL 14 (488)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Expertise (Magic) 13 (+17)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Insight 2 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+11, +21 Size)
Perception 5 (+10)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 5 (Pretty Much the Devil), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fascination (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Inspire, Last Stand, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Ritualist, Seize Initiative, Startle, Ultimate Toughness

Powers:
"Mountainous Size" Growth 20 (Str & Sta +20, +20 Mass, +10 Intimidation, -10 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -20 Stealth) -- (192 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [41]

Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
"Immortal God" Immortality 4 [8]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

Summon Devils 7 (Extras: 128 Minions +14, Horde, Active, Variable 2- Various Demons, Devils & Ghosts) [140]
"Summon Flames" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 1,000ft. Shapeable +6, Sustained +2) [108]
"Cast Shadows" Environment 9 (1 mile) (Visibility) [9]
Affliction 4 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Someone Who Has Nightmares For the Rest Of Their Freaking Lives) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Continuous +3) (Flaws: Limited to Children Who Saw This Goddamned Thing as Children) [16]

Fire Blast 16 (Feats: Extended Reach, Accurate 2) (35) -- [37]
  • AE: "Transform Minions" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Other Minion Type) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Summoned Minions) (12)
  • AE: "Giant Fists" Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (26)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Summon Flames +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Nightmares +4 Area (+4 Affliction, DC 14)
Flame Blast +12 (+16 Ranged Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +16, Fortitude +16, Will +12

Complications:
Involuntary Transformation (Bald Mountain)- Chernabog cannot withstand the morning church bells, nor daylight, and reverts into the form of Bald Mountain each morning.
Motivation (EEEEEEEEEVIL!!!)- Chernabog is possibly the incarnation of evil, and often punishes his minions for no reason other than to cause destruction.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 28 / Powers: 376 / Defenses: 31 (491)

-When I wrapped up the Disney Builds all those years ago, I saved the most epic one for last- CHERNABOG, the creature who was basically THE DEVIL. Disney took a part of old European mythology and adding some Hellish attributes to it in one of the greatest animated shorts of all time in Fantasia, Walt Disney's own "Doing it for the ART" film (back before Disney was entirely about profits). This thing was ASTONISHING, animated mostly by Vladimir Tytla (a classic animator considered one of the greatest of all time, animating Chernabog, Yen Sid, Dumbo and others), and seemingly possessing everything that could have possibly frightened children about the Devil. The giant bat wings, the freakish grin, the fact that you can't QUITE make out most of his form at any given time, plus the cruel abandon with which he transforms his own minions and casts them aside for his amusement.

-The narrator in Fantasia explicitly refers to the creature as The Devil, never naming him "Chernabog" on screen, but that's apparently what he is- an Eastern European folk villain of sorts.