Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab's Builds! (Brer Rabbit! Ichabod Crane! Mr. Toad! Cinderella!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:52 pm oh and Tinkerbell is such a stereotypical ghetto chick. I mean. I mean watch her movements and head bobbing where you can almost hear her saying "Oh no you didn't just try to get your claws in MY man."
Heh, and then there's the version from "Peter Pan Goes Wrong" (the BBC full showing of it unfortunately absent from Youtube, probably because they're now doing it on tour).

Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Fairy Guide

Post by Jabroniville »

How to Fairy:
* Fairies are born from a baby's first laugh- they simply appear carried on the winds as young-looking adults in front of a gathering of their fellows. Their "Talent" is discovered at their birth ceremony.

* Every Fairy is born with an inborn "Talent" that's with them for life, and they train at just that one thing, even if it's a totally limited, useless ability (some Fairies are limited to serving food as their sole talent, while others are elementalists). Basically, they're Communists.

* Only the girls are called "Fairies"- apparently males are "Sparrow Men". This only gets mentioned in a single 22-minute short in the film series, several of which feature "Fairy Gary", in charge of the Dust Talents (unrelated to Gary Fairy, one of the side characters in Leisure Suit Larry- one of the "bad endings" is you revealing your penis to him- since that's an in-game option for every situation- and getting married).

* Fairies appear to age, but only slightly. Only one, Dewey the Keeper Fairy, appears to be older than early-middle-age or have wrinkles- they just appear a bit stately (Clarion) or chubby (Fairy Mary) otherwise.

* Fairies' jobs are to change the seasons on the "Mainland" (Earth, though maybe just the part that's England), via weird stuff like painting the ladybugs, painting flowers, melting snow (or adding it), etc. They only WANT humans to believe in all that "turning of the planet" stuff.

* Fairies fly using their wings, but only with the right amount of Pixie Dust, which is given to them each day by a "Dust Keeper" Fairy. If they run out, they're unable to fly. If their wings are wet (or are damaged), they cannot fly, making flight during rain impossible. Some other powers are also impossible without Pixie Dust.

* They can "sprinkle" Pixie Dust onto other creatures and objects, allowing them to fly as well. Curiously, even full-sized humans are not limited by the "wet" thing, nor do they need wings to fly, whereas the MUCH tinier fairies do. This is never explained, even though it makes no sense.

* Winter Fairies cannot cross into the non-winter lands, and vice-versa, lest their wings break. Except in the first movie, where they TOTALLY DO, and for great lengths of time. Early Installment Weirdness affects everyone, folks.

* Animals are largely sentient and friendly, though cannot talk. Frogs, mice, squirrels, marmots, lynxes, birds & all arthropods can understand speech just fine, and have emotional reactions to things. All animals do this, except for predators like hawks, who are giant assholes and try to kill & eat Fairies all the time. Oddly, owls are totally cool.

* The Pixie Dust Tree & the Changing Of The Seasons are all super-important- they're threatened a lot of the time, too. Naturally, if the Tree dies, the Fairies lose their flight. Last time they F'd up the Seasonal Change, it was the Ice Age.

Differences Between the Books and the Movies:

* The books are set after Peter Pan, with Tinker Bell having left the Lost Boys' home and come back to Pixie Hollow, heartbroken over Peter inviting "The Wendy" to stay with them. The movies are PREQUELS, taking place in the distant past.

* In the books, Pixie Dust comes from grinding up the molted feathers of Mother Dove, who gained magical powers in the ancient destruction of Never Land. Every year, there is a "molt", where her feathers come off and give this year's supply. Mother Dove is seen as a messianic figure and deeply respected and beloved thanks to her powers and her sincerity, kindness and charisma. No such character exists in the movies- Pixie Dust comes from "Blue Dust", which is created every once in a while by a magical stone- the Blue Dust replicates Pixie Dust.
* Fairies can die of disbelief in the books, and some do so in the first one- Prilla's job is to go to the Mainland and convince children that Fairies are real. None of this is ever mentioned in the movies.

* The books feature Rani and Prilla as major, major characters, especially Prilla. Neither exists in the movies at all. The main light-talent Fairy is Fira, and the main animal-talent Fairy is Beck- both also never appear. Instead, the movies make use of more minor characters Rosetta, Iridessa, Fawn & Silvermist, all of whom suddenly become prominent in the second generation of Chapter Books, and are never written by Gail Carson Levine.

* Queen Clarion looks different (younger and prettier, rather than serene and mature), and goes by "Queen Ree" as a nickname.

* Humans are always called "Clumsies" in the books. This never appears in the movies.

* The movies add all this stuff about "Changing the Seasons", their importance to the Mainland, and the existence of Winter Fairies on Never Land. The books feature no winter at all, nor any seasonal shifts. Frost Fairies aren't even a thing. And ONLY Prilla ever goes to the Mainland in the books, via her teleportation.

* Vidia is almost completely, 100% evil. I mean, she's bitchy in the movies, but in this selfish "I play pranks on you because I don't like you and am jealous" kind of way. In the BOOKS?... Jesus. She threatens all of Pixie Hollow by greedily hoarding her fairy dust. She actually INJURES Mother Dove by plucking her feathers for "Fresh Dust", then denies that it hurt all that bad. When she injures a hawk later in the book the same way, and AGAIN fails to learn empathy. Nearly every follow-up book features at least one scene where Vidia is cruel to the main character, being disingenuous and ripping on her. She practically gaslights Silvermist in HER focus book. The movie version is practically sunshine and chocolates by comparison.

* Many later characters are exclusive to the movies, like Periwinkle, Zarina, Nyx and others.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cinderella! Alice! Peter Pan! Tinker Bell! Capt. Hook!)

Post by Spectrum »

I was in a very young (1st? 2nd? grade) production of Peter Pan that was being taught by the local recreation center, cast as one of the lost boys. Only remember two things:

Captain Hook played by an older woman (like 6th grade, so pretty, wow....)

Putting on the show in front of the parents and the local media. Seems that there were more lost boys than pirates because when the pirates surrendered their swords I didn't get one. I was frustrated for a moment and then looked out at the crowd and shrugged, acting along.. much to the apparent amusement of the crowd.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Book Reviews

Post by Jabroniville »

So I took the week and a half without my PC to actually begin reading the Disney Fairies books for the first time- despite my fandom towards the series about three years back, now, I had only really BOUGHT them- I don't do a lot of "sit down and read" stuff anymore if it's not in comics. There's some interesting stuff:

Fairy Dust and the Quest For The Egg:
So I took the past week and a half without my PC to actually begin reading the Disney Fairies books for the first time- despite my fandom towards the series about three years back, now, I had only really BOUGHT them- I don't do a lot of "sit down and read" stuff anymore if it's not in comics. There's some interesting stuff:

The original book in the series is actually quite well-respected. The author of Ella Enchanted and other stuff I've never read, Gail Carson Levine, was given carte blanche to create her own little world for the Fairies, with the only specification that she couldn't use Peter Pan or Captain Hook (she notes in the foreword that "I used them anyway!").

Interestingly, she doesn't default to using Tinker Bell- honestly, Tink doesn't even appear that much. She shows the new Fairy around Pixie Hollow for a short while, then gets stuck guarding the "Mother Dove" character. She seems movie-accurate, though- a bit grouchy and easily-annoyed.

The little "world" Gail creates is solid- she makes sure the Fairies are quite inhuman (saying "I'd fly backwards if I could" instead of "sorry", which is repeated A LOT on Wiki pages for Fairy characters), but doing the whole "Each one is born with a special talent" thing.

The new Fairy and main character, Prilla, is SUCH a "Girl Book Protagonist", though. The whole "She just arrived in town and DOESN'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS" thing is SOOOOOOOOO much like all those other stories you see. The whole "Desire for companionship/a group of friends" thing is so targeted.

It's actually interesting how LITTLE the book resembles what became of the Disney Fairies franchise with the movies. NONE of Tink's friends actually appear in the novel! Only the antagonist, Vidia, appears out of what becomes the "Main Group". The best Animal Fairy is one named Beck, Rani is the most notable Water Fairy, Lily is the named Garden Fairy, etc. Tink in the movies is a more friendly, naive sort, and SHE is the one who is given the "new arrival" push. Queen Clarion is never called "Queen Ree" anywhere in the movies, and notably looks different. Prilla, the MAIN CHARACTER, never appears in any film. The movies keep the "Talents" thing, but Mother Dove (whose eggs keeps everyone in Neverland from aging) never shows up. And notably, the movies are PREQUELS (starting with Tink's "arrival"; we later meet a young Captain Hook), while the book is a SEQUEL (Peter is already there, and Tink is mourning how he ignored her for "The Wendy").

The original novel is fairly dramatic, with a lot of life and death stuff- Fairies DO die from disbelief, but nobody we actually get to meet. There's not much action (the main antagonist is either a hurricane or a dragon that can't even escape its cage). Vidia is INSANELY bitchy and rude, here- not merely smug and manipulative like in the movies. She's outright hostile and vicious, with the book even pointing out that she never learns empathy (she actually PLUCKS Mother Dove- their equivalent of Jesus- and insists that "plucking doesn't hurt THAT much", and when she plucks a golden hawk who causes her to feel its pain, she insists that he made it WORSE than it really was, just to be cruel). Hilariously, her being a "selfish pig" actually saves all of Pixie Hollow, because she was hiding dust right until the end (when everyone else had run out).

Reading some of the follow-up books is a bit odd, because they're not really dramatic at all. About 100 pages each, they detail one Fairy as the main character, usually doing some "Girls Story" thing like "working too hard" or "finding a thing that they lost". When I was expecting a huge Fetch Quest for Vidia and the Fairy Crown (in which Vidia is accused of stealing Queen Ree's crown, mostly because she's a giant bitch and even joked about doing so), I ended up getting a minor "they question a bunch of people, then figure it out". Though there's a great character bit where she considers ACTUALLY stealing the Crown just to spite everyone, but won't, because Prilla, the only Fairy to believe in her innocence, notices her doing so.
Jabroniville

Movie 1

Post by Jabroniville »

TINKER BELL (2008):
-The debut film actually has some pretty poor CGI by the later standards of the films in the series (which are generally fairly well-animated- just a ways below their Feature Film works)- it's also an Origin Story, as a baby's first laugh gives birth to Tinker Bell (born an adult in a white dress), who then has her destined talent "find her". Since she's a "Tinker" (they name her AFTER the selection), she's stuck in a factory building stuff, which makes her jealous, especially when all of her new friends (Animal, Garden, Light & Water Fairies) get cool Talents and get to visit "The Mainland" (Earth). We meet the rest of the "Main Cast", but it's actually kind of rushed-through- they don't even get really distinctive personalities in this one. They just kind of show up, act friendly, and then have pratfalls when Tink tries to copy their Talents. Considering they got some pretty big-name talent for this film (America Ferrera, Lucy Liu, Kristin Chenoweth), it's a bit weird that they only get a handful of lines each.

A key subplot features Vidia the Bitch Fairy (voiced by the TERRIFICALLY snarky Pamela Adlon) acting snotty, taunting Tink over having a shitty talent ("I make forces of nature; you make pots and kettles"), being humiliated when Tink accidentally leads a Hawk right to her doorstep, and then setting up Tink for a horrible failure. Said failure ends up ruining the preparations for the changing of the seasons (which Fairies are in charge of, naturally), which is like a MAJOR crisis. Only Tink "Accepting Who She Is" can save the day, as she turns her Talent towards becoming the Reed Richards of Fairies, fixing everything.

The best moment? Easily when Tink tries to be an Animal Talent by teaching a baby bird to fly. The sheer, mortal TERROR of the little bird (complete with wide-eyed horror and grimace (check 5:00 here) is a legitimate laugh-out-loud moment, especially once Tink starts eagerly egging him on (complete with the bird's view of her over-eager face darting back and forth, terrifying him even more) and he tries to rebuild his egg and hide inside it. Just the bird's FACE is hilarious.

Vidia also makes very funny faces when she's arguing with Tink, as she has fake, syrupy smiles, makes a "Herpa-DERP!" face when Tink suggests their talents are equal in importance, and then gives a pure hyena smile as she sends Tink on her way. The first movie keeps up her book tendency to taunt people by sarcastically calling everyone terms of endearment, like "dear", "sweetie", "darling", and "sunshine". That's why we're married.

The opening narration has always annoyed me- Loreena McKennitt is a Canadian singer/songwriter, so her fake English/Irish accent isn't really working, particularly how she pronouncies "FAH-REES"
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Prilla

Post by Jabroniville »

PRILLA
Role:
Morality Pet, Audience Surrogate

-Prilla is born in the opening chapters of Fairy Dust and the Quest For The Egg, looking like a 12-year old girl and being super naive about everything. As a Fairy with an unknown talent (people fear she's "Incomplete", which varies from "they think odd words rhyme" to "the fairy equivalent of mentally retarded"), she has some humanlike qualities to her, which means she needs things explained to her. And, by proxy, to the audience. She's immature, but very sweet, and ABSOLUTELY the kind of protagonist you see in so many Girls' Books. There's nothing more "Speaks directly to girls" that concepts like inclusion and wanting to find friends, as Prilla's big deal is that she doesn't get to hang out with any particular group, since she doesn't have their Talents.

-Prilla ends up chosen by Mother Dove to go on the quest to resurrect her broken Egg (the one that keeps all of Never Land from aging), and she proves a bit helpful. She learns that her talent is to go to the Mainland and visit human children, who can see her. This keeps their belief in Fairies alive, which saves Fairy lives, since disbelief is fatal to them. Prilla and Rani like each other, but Vidia finds her very tiresome- ultimately, all of their skills save the day. Prilla is thus accepted as an "honorary talent" by every other talent group.

-Prilla features a little in other writers' works, like in Prilla and the Butterfly Lie, which has the lamest possible "Girls Book Concept"- she is just SO kind and SO helpful that she can never say "no" to anyone, so she always ends up neglecting her own job by helping other Fairies. She even unwisely helps out the Butterfly Herder talents (lying and saying she LOVES butterflies)... which is disastrous, as Butterflies are actually giant dickheads in the books, playing cruel pranks on everyone. "Even ANIMAL TALENTS don't like Butterflies", someone notes. It's actually a bit funny, though, as she keeps trying NOT to help everyone else out, but has no backbone and can't say no. Vidia even gets a moment where she chides Prilla, and tells her to knock it off. It's that good combination of Vidia being annoyed with people, and Vidia being authentically helpful, that makes her character sort of interesting.

-Prilla's also a major character in Vidia and the Fairy Crown- her team-up with Vidia in the very first book makes her the only person in all of Pixie Hollow to believe that Vidia didn't actually steel Queen Ree's crown, and so they quest around the Home Tree to find out what really happened to it. In a clever bit, Prilla's helpfulness is rewarded by Vidia being unable to ACTUALLY steal the thing when the opportunity presents itself- she realizes that Prilla can tell what she's thinking, and just can't break her heart that way, however spiteful she feels. Vidia even SMILES at her. And not one of her fake, syrupy smiles, either. A REAL one! Prilla acknowledges that this was the only thanks she was ever going to get, and accepts it anyways.

-Prilla is thus kind of fun, despite being the most boring "Ultra-Nice Girl" ever. She's a good counterpoint to the more laid-back Rani, and the more nasty and cynical Tink or Vidia. She's a "Morality Pet" to everyone else- they want to be nice because Prilla is the most innocent kid of the team.
Jabroniville

Rani

Post by Jabroniville »

RANI
Role:
The Sweet One, The Dutiful One

-Gail Carson Levine states that sweet, good-natured Rani was her favorite character in her Fairies trilogy. Depicted as a bit odd (she always finishes people's sentences. ALWAYS- for a full book, she always speaks the last word of the person's sentence), but kind, she is a Water-Talent Fairy sent on the mission to save Mother Dove's egg. Queen Ree is forced to make her the leader, lest Vidia run away with power in the group- as Rani has little talent for bossing others around, this doesn't work out so well. But she's smart and serious, and gets the job done. In one of the more dramatic points of the book, she makes a deal with a mermaid for her comb (one of the Fetch Quest items)... but can only visit them beneath the waves by swimming. Which faires can't do, because their wings get waterlogged and leave them crippled. So, in a moment of HUGE sacrifice, she CUTS OFF HER WINGS so that she can dive beneath the depths and speak to the mermaids!

-This is a big, big deal, as she can never fly again (thankfully, Levine establishes much earlier than fairy wings don't feel pain at all, which is kind of an Ass-Pull she likely inserted just for that reason- this whole deal makes it less gory than it could be). Her wings crystalize for some reason, which helps the fairies in their quest further, as the dragon Kyto will only burn Mother Dove's egg back to life if they offer him fantastic, rare treasure. At story's end, she gains her own dove as a helper- Brother Dove- who flies for her. The other fairies are in awe of her sacrifice.

-Rani, always a bit weepy (Water-Talents are said to snot up and cry a lot), is given focus in Rani and the Mermaid Lagoon chapter book, as her lack of wings becomes a critical issue at a fairy party, ruining things. When Vidia (of course) comes in with "words of encouragement", she adds that it's not her fault that "without your wings, you're USELESS!", sending her crying off into the distance, because Vidia is a bitch that way. Rani decides, in that "This is a book for girls" sort of way, that she's going to live with the mermaids. Who greet her with open arms, but immediately become flakes, act way too casual about everything, refuse to WORK to set up a party, and seem to forget about Rani the second she's away. Their Attention Defecit OOH-SHINY Disorder eventually drives her away, and she returns to Pixie Hollow, where of COURSE her friends were all desperately worried for her.
Jabroniville

Fira

Post by Jabroniville »

FIRA (aka "Moth")
Role:
Light-Talent, Generic Backgrounder

-A character named Moth appears for a bit in Fairy Dust and the Quest For The Egg, being treated as the head Light-Talent. She doesn't really get much characterization, though, which makes it all the weirder when suddenly this "Fira" shows up in the Chapter Books, and it's explained briefly that her NICKNAME is "Moth"... oh, and now everyone just calls her Fira. Like... what's the point? They just didn't want someone named "Moth" on the cover, because it might be confusing?

-In any case, Fira is a bit of a generic backgrounder, but is treated in one book as if she's fiery and passionate, but devoted to her closest friend, Silvermist. Skavenger back in the day suggested this was a really strong "yuri" thing, since Sil was a total opposite, but the book notes, "they were drawn to each other". In her one focus book, Fira and the Full Moon, it's explained that she works SO HARD that it affects her life negatively, which is such a B.S. character trope (and sadly, the same one given to Tiana in The Princess and the Frog... who is ethnic like Fira is. Probably a connection, there). In the book, Fira overdoes it in helping out everyone- TRIPLETS are born from a "special laugh", and Fira has to train them all, while also preparing for a big party and helping out when the fireflies get sick and can't help the mining talents. It's a trifle dull (the triplets also act like babies- one of them even CRIES repeatedly), but contains some funny bits with the Mining-Talents, who are depicted as completely unemotional, taking their impending deaths (when Fira's light goes out due to overwork while they're tunnelling) in total stride... and flatly stating "We're rescued. Hooray" when the triplets save everyone. "Works Too Hard" just isn't a good character archetype, and her "Fiery Personality" isn't really established anywhere else. Still, she has one of the better "looks" of the Book-Only Fairies, having dark skin, a pink dress, and long purple hair. She's actually got a better design than any of Tink's crew, and more "Toyetic" at the same time.
Jabroniville

Queen Clarion

Post by Jabroniville »

QUEEN CLARION (aka Queen Ree)
Role:
Mother Figure, The Leader

-Queen Clarion is a bit of an odd duck in the series, as I GUESS the Fairies needed an overall leader for their society, but... what's her Talent? Was she chosen? It's obviously not an inheritable position, given how Fairies breed, so what's the deal there? It's simply never explained. In the books, she's quiet and mature, but also adventurous enough to go on a mission in Gail Carson Levine's second book. In the books, she looks quite young- barely older than the other Fairies, with a long rose petal dress and is often going by "Queen Ree" for whatever reason. In the Tinker Bell movies, however, she is borderline emotionless in her quiet reserve, flying in a straight line as opposed to the "flittering" pace of most fairies. She also appears via teleporting into space using pixie dust, which makes up most of her dress. She is so stoic and monochromatic here that she appears much more regal, but less interesting visually, than the Clarion of the books.

-She's arguably the "biggest name" of the Voice Actors in the series, though Angelica Huston is much too old to be a big "name" anymore, as she typically just appears in Wes Anderson films these days. She... gives a pretty dull performance, but then, it's a dull character. Even her relationship with Lord Milori of the Winter Woods comes off as a bit stoic, though it's kind of funny seeing these two leaderly sorts kiss each other, embarrassing Fairy Mary and others.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Peter Pan! Tinker Bell! Capt. Hook! Disney Fairies!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Assorted Fun Facts while reading up on Peter Pan:

* The initial incarnation of the character was actually that of a baby, who could fly because he was "part bird". This was in an earlier novel by Barrie.

* In the original story, upon Peter's first annual visit to Wendy, Tinker Bell has already died, as fairies do not live long, and Peter, as is his way, has forgotten her already.

* Peter is sort of the ultimate representation of childhood- he cannot remember the past, cares little for the future, and appears to lack empathy.

* Peter and Wendy, the title of the most popular work, is actually the earliest point anyone can find the name "Wendy" ever appearing in print- it appears that Barrie simply invented the name himself. It seems to be derived from "Gwendolyn", but could have an entirely different role.
Jabroniville

Fairy Statlines

Post by Jabroniville »

THE VARIOUS TALENTS:
-The books go into a TON of detail about the various Talents, and create dozens and dozens of other Fairies, many of which are just seen in one page ("this is ____, the _____ Talent Fairy!"). Many characters star in their own books, but the movies just list the cast I mentioned above, with only a couple other names. The books list tons of Sub-Talents to each particular TYPE of Talent, but in the movies, it's just "Garden Talent", "Tinker Talent" & "Kitchen Talent", etc. They basically don't appear to specialize that much (though there IS mention of Polishing Fairies).

Statting Fairies:
-Statting up tiny characters produces several issues in any RPG- even regular humans and animals are enormous, meaning their stats can go a bit weird. In M&M, this is especially true because of the stat-affecting nature of the Shrinking power. And also, a PL 0 Human Bystander is actually a terrifying challenge for a five-inch tall pixie, so what the hell do you do with your Power Levels? To me, the best solution when making a game where the ENTIRE CAST is small, is to assume the "Small" size is the MAIN one, effectively ignoring Shrinking and treating everything ELSE like it has ranks of Growth on it. So in this world, you'd be treating Mice as Normal-Sized, Rats as having Growth, and Humans as being literal giants with high PLs. After all, a human child and a full-grown man are more or less equally-dangerous to something five inches high.

In this case, I'll be statting up two versions of each character- a tiny version (assuming they interact with full-sized people), and a Normal version. One lacks Shrinking but is a whole lot stronger, and the other is a tiny creature with lower ranks in some of the Powers (assuming they have any), though The Pirate Fairy features some pretty heroic "good showings" (oddly, it's when the girls are using EACH OTHER'S talents).

Fairies have fairly fast-moving Flight (faster than most people seem to be able to run), that's naturally Winged and depends on regular doses of Pixie Dust (daily-ish). Also, they can't fly when their wings are wet. They're much faster if you assume they're Regular Size (since naturally the distance they cover is proportionately larger to them). All Fairies can easily talk to Animals (who understand what they're saying, but can't talk back).

Determining their STRENGTH is the iffy part. They're weak enough that actual RATS are a deady adversary, as are Hawks. In one of the books, it took three of them and a contraption to move a single pumpkin (that wasn't even super-sized). However, The Pirate Fairy features SEVERAL powerhouse feats from Zarina. I'll assume most Fairies are pretty weak by our standards, however.

STANDARD FAIRY TEMPLATE (In the Human World)
Played by:
Various
Role: Background Faces
PL 4 (74)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+1)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+4)
Perception 1 (+3)
Stealth 0 (+2, +14 Size)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
Comprehend 1 (Speak To Animals) [2]
"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

"She Can Fly!" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"You Can Fly!" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Affects Objects) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness -2, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (xxxxxx Talent)- Fairies are born with a certain position, and are an important part of the whole of Pixie Hollow.
Power Loss (Wings)- Fairy Wings cannot flap when wet, resulting in grounded Fairies. They also need Pixie Dust to fly, and will run out after a certain amount of time. Their wings will break if kept in the cold for too long.
Enemy (Hawks)- Hawks and other predators are vile, soulless menaces, and apparently can't even be spoken to like regular animals can.
Quirk- Fairy Speech sounds like a bell ringing to humans. Only a few known have ever been able to understand them.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 3 (74)

STANDARD FAIRY TEMPLATE (In the Fairy World)
Played by:
Various
Role: Background Faces
PL 2 (58)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+4)
Perception 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
"She Can Fly!" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
"You Can Fly!" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Affects Objects) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Tinker Talent)- Tinkers are supposed to build things for other Fairies- they make the devices and contraptions necessary for the other Fairies to do their jobs.
Power Loss (Wings)- Fairy Wings cannot flap when wet, resulting in grounded Fairies. They also need Pixie Dust to fly, and will run out after a certain amount of time. Their wings will break if kept in the cold for too long.
Enemy (Hawks)- Hawks and other predators are vile, soulless menaces, and apparently can't even be spoken to like regular animals can.
Quirk- Fairy Speech sounds like a bell ringing to humans. Only a few known have ever been able to understand them.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 2 (58)

-Your standard Fairy Template for just about anyone. Fairies are friendly sorts who are good at their one Talent (usually an Expertise Skill), and occasionally have a Magical-type one. I'll describe the individual Talents more when I get to the other girls, but here's the basics for the Talents that DON'T get featured on major characters:

Animal Talents:
-Animal Talents are in charge of the animals in Pixie Hollow and the Mainland, painting ladybugs and speaking with living creatures and stuff. They're basically like Animal Whisperers combined with Vets, often directing migrations and hibernation. Animal Talents typically wear more "Earthy" colours (browns, oranges, greens). Some are better as speaking some animal languages than others- I wonder if the stuff is inherent to them or they have to actually LEARN them? Tinkers sure get their stuff automatically, so that's a bit of a thinker.

Known Animal Talents: Fawn (major character), Cora (dragonfly specialty), Buck (Buck was Fawn's partner in the Pixie Hollow Games- he was bucking a frog and managed to stay on the longest. Apparently he's got a crush on Fawn), Beck, Finn, Horace, Madge, Nollie, Terra, Kit. Beck was the most important one in the books, getting two to herself, and being Mother Dove's official helper. So much the weirder when Fawn was chosen for the movies.

Aphid-Wrangling Talent (aphids suck plants dry, so the Wranglers come after them)
Caterpillar-Shearing Talent (caterpillar fuzz is used to fill pillows and make sweaters for colder weather)
Cricket-Whistling Talent
Butterfly-Herding Talent (butterflies are mischievous and annoying in the books, and only these Fairies have the patience to deal with them)

Light Talents:
* They're seen directing and placing beams of sunlight on things to create the most beautiful lighting. They also make rainbows, melt snow, collect sunbeams, and put lights on firefly butts. Iridessa is one of the main party, but many other names are known. They all generally have the same job. Fira, Glory, Helios, Luna, Sparkle & Lumina are the others that have been named. They're generally found in yellow outfits, and many are black. The main Light-Talent in the books is actually Fira, who has dark purple hair and a pretty active personality. I honestly think she'd have been a better choice for the Movie Cast. Maybe because her normal dress color was pink, just like Rosetta?

Garden Talents:
* A popular type of plant-controlling Fairy, in charge of beautifying plant matter through all seasons. They change the colours of plants, make things grow (often instantly and to great size), and are sometimes seen summoning the plants from the ground and having them run from place to place. There are many Sub-Talents, but most of the ones seen are generic Garden Fairies- Major character Rosetta, plus Bluebell, Chloe, Thistle (who had a crush on Terence, and was thus jealous of Tinker Bell), Fern, Iris, Lilac, Lily, Olwen & Sweet Pea. Generally they dress in pink, but some are seen in green. They tend to be the most feminine of Fairies. Lily was actually used in the books as the primary Garden-Talent at first, though she didn't do anything major in the first book, so she's still very minor. Both she and Rosetta each got two books. Iris was chiefly known for being supersticious, being a big part of Silvermist's paranoia in Silvermist and the Ladybug Curse, freaking out over the potential of Sil being cursed.

Fern-Spotting Talent
Flower Talent (collecting plants & petals)
Forest Talent (sort of like map-makers/trailblazers of the forests)
Fruit Talent (harvesters)
Fruit-Stomping Talent (I like to think they make wine for fairies to get wasted with)
Harvest Talent (Pell, Pluck & Maisy)
Leaf Talent
Leaf-Curling Talent
Rice-Growing Talent
Tree-Tending Talent
Tree-Picking Talent
Treebark-Grading Talent

Art Talents:
-Self-explanatory. All have simple Expertise (Art) of some sort. Dupe (book character) makes replicas of the Fairy Crown (for party favors), but doesn't have a specific named title to his Talent.
Glass-Blowing Talent
Grass-Weaving Talent
Pebble Talent (they decorate using pebbles)
Painting Talent (known: Bess, Quill, Leo)- Bess gets her own Chapter Book.
Pottery Talent (known: Scarlet)
Sculpting Talent
Woodworking Talent

Fast-Flying Talents:
* They make warm breezes & spread pollen in the spring, and blow down leaves in the fall. They also carry babies' first laughs to the Birthing Ceremony ("my winds even brought YOU here, my dear!"). Only Vidia is really well-known, but she's the best Fairy ever so it's cool. The Fast-Flyers (and really, what an awkward-sounding name for a Talent- would not "Wind Fairy" or something been better? "Fast-Flying Fairy" is so odd) are always seen in violet outfits. The others known are Elwood, Zephyr, Leeta, Windbreak & Wisp. Wisp ends up becoming a rival to Vidia, as she's a new Fairy and equally-fast, thanks to some special pixie dust she stole. She ends up causing a disaster. I can't imagine a story where VIDIA comes across as the sane, kind one.

Water Talents:
* They do silly stuff like create mist, talk to aquatic creatures, and put dewdrops on spider-webs. Considering they're among the few actual Elementalists of the series, it's a bit weird. Also odd is that even THEY shouldn't get wet, because it'll lilt their wings. This DOES mean that Water Talents would be among the most-effective allies should there ever be a war between the Fairies. Known Talents: Silvermist (major character), Cera, Marina, Rani (a big character in one book- sacrificing her wings to save the Dove that makes everyone in Never Land immortal), Rally, Hydrangea & Humidia.

Kitchen/Cooking Talents:
* None of these are really seen in the films, but Dulcie the Baking Talent is common in the books. All of them basically have limited Expertise (Cooking). Some are hilariously-minor.
Baking Talent (known: Dulcie- an important character in many books, Dunkin, Ginger, Mixie)
Bread-Buttering Talent
Cheese-Making Talent
Confectioner Talent (Gelata is the leader of these chef-dressing candy makers- she's based off of Giada de Laurenitis)
Dairy Talent (they milk mice. No really)
Dishwashing Talent
Egg Collecting Talent
Hole-In-Cheese-Punching Talent
Knowing-When-A-Plate-Is-Done Talent
Larder Talent (they stock the "larder", aka a pantry)
Pea-Shelling Talent
Pretzel-Twisting Talent
Olive-Pressing Talent
Salt-Sifting Talent
Scullery Talent
Stove-To-Plate-Transfer Talent
Tea-Making Talent

Cleaning Talents:
* I can't believe somebody would be so unlucky to draw THESE Talents. None of these are major- think of them like the servants on a show about rich people that isn't Upstairs, Downstairs or Downton Abbey- they ain't important. Good thing the Fairy books indicate that each Fairy's talent is "their joy"- they authentically LOVE what they do. Even the entryway-polishers.

Bath-Drawing Talent
Dusting Talent
Entryway-Polishing Talent (Ronan is the best of the best, though is so slow & meticulous he drives the others nuts)
Entryway-Scrubbing Talent (God can you imagine being this one?)
Floor-Polishing Talent (these actually get a lot of play in descriptions, as I guess there's a lot of stone that needs polishing in the omnipresent Fairy Parties)
Laundry Talent
Sand-Sorting Talent (they separate light sand from dark sand. RACISTS)
Stone-Polishing Talent
Window-Washing Talent
Wing-Washing Talent (important since you shouldn't get Fairy wings wet)

Performing Talents:
Music Talent (performers, naturally- Trill, Ellery, Juliette, Cadence, Lyra & Ariette have been seen. Trill gets focus in Trill Chances Her Tune, one of the last Chapter Books released)
Storytelling Talent (tell stories via Pixie Dust Images. Lyria is the best, but Tor tells spooky stories- he shows up in the opening chapters of a couple. There's also Pip the joke-teller, too)
Singing Talent
Tall-Tale-Telling Talent (extra ranks in Deception)

Helper Talents:
* Not really a classification- there just seems to be a bunch of them that fit under this heading, though.
Hair-Dressing Talent
Healing Talent (sort of potion-makers. Elixa & Clara are minor characters. One appears in The Secret of the Wings who is more or less a Doctor)
Helper Talent (Queen Clarion's official helpers. Basically like "Lady's Maids" who do all of the cleaning and looking-after of the Queen- Rhia, Cinda, Grace & Lisel appear in one story)
Message Talent (the messengers of the Fairies- Cello, Spring, Nhuna, Rolo & Page are the ones seen)
Nursing Talent (deal with the scrapes & bruises- Costy, Flo & Poppy are minor)
Planning Talent (they make... plans for other Fairies. For WHAT I have no idea)
Serving Talent (waiters)
Summoning Talent (they blow the horns that summon other Fairies to Queen Clarion)
Table-Setting Talent
Wake-Up Talent (in charge of waking up other fairies at certain times)

Dust Talents:
* Important Fairies that dole out the Pixie Dust to the others that allows them to fly- they also leave some aside for Peter Pan & The Lost Boys (in the books, naturally- in the movies they're not around yet). Fairy Gary is in charge (sometimes they call his kilt a skirt, embarassing him), and his workers include Terence & Zarina (both important characters), Jerome, Stump, Bolt & Stone. Most of them dress is browns or golds, matching the glowing Pixie Dust.

Tinker Talents:
* The craft-workers and builders of Pixie Hollow. Generally not considered that important, but since our heroine is one, they get a lot of focus. Chipper, Ariel, Angus, Copper, Slate, Zuzu, Tin & Twire are low-end members. Fairy Mary is in charge of them all- she's a plumper, older-looking Fairy who is easily embarassed and a bit of a goof, though also a pretty stern taskmaster (constantly berating the never-seen Lucinda to quit loafing).

The following Talents are listed in the book, though never show up in the films:
Boat-Making Talent
Celebration-Setup Talent (Nora was one, and was accidentally responsible for temporarily losing Queen Clarion's Crown)
Carpenting Talent (is that really a word?)
Chair Talent (they make chairs)
Crown-Repairing Talent (Aiden is the only one- since there's only one crown, he spends a lot of time practicing)
Dandelion-Fluff-Sorting Talent
Decoration Talent
Doorknob Talent
Dyeing Talent (known: Violet, Daisey, Colette, Prism, Sunny)
Hole-Digging Talent
Basket-Weaving Talent
Masonry Talent
Measuring Talent (they measure fabrics)
Sewing Talent
Shoe-Making Talent
Knot-Tying Talent
Lace-Making Talent
Weaving Talent
Pots & Pans Talent (the specialize in mending broken pots & pans- in the books, this is TINKER BELL's Talent)
Spiderweb-Untangling Talent (they gather this for making stuff with the silk)
Scrap-Metal-Recovery Talent
Scrap-Metal Sorting Talent

Other Talents:
Ministry Secret Talent (The Four Seasons' Ministers. Their talent is a secret- Hyacinth, Redleaf, Snowflake & Sunflower are in charge of ensuring the seasonal change goes through normally)
Far-Listening Talent (they listen for hawks and stuff- Enhanced Perception & Extended Hearing)
Mainland-Visiting Clapping Talent (Prilla is the only one known- she can instantly Teleport to the Mainland and back)
Mining Talent (Pit, Orren & Precious are minor- GET IT?- characters who love their metals. They're extremely dour, unemotional characters, responding to both impending doom and their salvation with casual, flat expressions)
Problem-Solving Talent (logical thinkers that... solve problems)
Scouting Talent (Pixie Hollow's defenders- they sit in watchtowers and try to fend of invading hawks- Althea, Baden, Carlotta, Faye, Myka, Nilsa, Russell, Sera & Trak are all minor nobodies, while the final movie in the franchise creates Nyx and her entourage. They have Enhanced Perception and some pretty cool outfits. Myka actually gets her own book)
Scribe Talent (librarians)
Star-Counting Talent (meteorologists)
Weather Talent (more like scientists who catalogue the weather than ones who control it)
Storm Talent (Rumble & Glimmer appear in The Pixie Hollow Games as powerful sorts who always win the Games. Glimmer is your typical kindly Fairy, while Rumble is a competitive egomaniac who speaks in the third person. They can send out a powerful Lightning Blast, but only if they're holding hands, as well as a "Thunder Cloud" Cloud Area Visual Concealment when they make their introduction)

OTHER BOOK FAIRIES:
BECK: Beck is the only Animal-Talent named in the first book, and is Mother Dove's caretaker and helper. She later gets TWO Chapter Books devoted to her. Her look is honestly really generic- she's about the most plain Fairy in any tale.
LILY: Lily is the most prominent Garden-Talent until Rosetta shows up and steals her thunder as a movie character. Lily features in two books by different authors.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:54 am* Peter and Wendy, the title of the most popular work, is actually the earliest point anyone can find the name "Wendy" ever appearing in print- it appears that Barrie simply invented the name himself. It seems to be derived from "Gwendolyn", but could have an entirely different role.
According to a British book on the origins of names I picked up in London, the name Wendy was Barrie's invention stemming from a term of endearment he had for a friend during his own young childhood referring to a friend as "friendy-wendy".
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Brer Rabbit! Ichabod Crane! Mr. Toad! Cinderella!)

Post by M4C8 »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:27 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:52 pm oh and Tinkerbell is such a stereotypical ghetto chick. I mean. I mean watch her movements and head bobbing where you can almost hear her saying "Oh no you didn't just try to get your claws in MY man."
Heh, and then there's the version from "Peter Pan Goes Wrong" (the BBC full showing of it unfortunately absent from Youtube, probably because they're now doing it on tour).

I saw that, I really enjoyed it.

The follow up a year later wasn't very good though.
Last edited by M4C8 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Tinker Bell

Post by Jabroniville »

TINKER BELL (In the Human World)
Played by:
Mae Whitman
Role: Main Character, Inventor, Naiive Girl, Tempermental Girl
Obvious Lesbian Relationship With: Vidia (Naive, Friendly Curvy Girl meets Cynical, Slender Grouch with a superiority complex)
PL 5 (129)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 10 (+14)
Athletics 6 (+2)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+3)
Investigation 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 0 (+4, +16 Size)
Technology 10 (+14)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Skill Mastery (Technology), Teamwork, Ultimate Technology Skill

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

"She Can Fly!" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

"Tinker Talent"
Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Technology Skill & Inventing) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness -2, Fortitude +2, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Tinker Talent)- Tinkers are supposed to build things for other Fairies- they make the devices and contraptions necessary for the other Fairies to do their jobs.
---
Accident (Tinkerings)- Tink is HORRIBLY accident-prone, as her inventive Tinkerings have a tendency to explode. Things often end up broken, burning or lost in her presence. Even her Vehicular Skill has a tendency to go alarmingly-wrong, slamming into trees and fairies alike. The other Fairies are wise to keep their distance around a "new tinkering"...
Temper- When things go wrong, Tink blows her stack. Her tendency to go red in the face and begin screaming is known to her close friends, and most of them just laugh it off by this point.
Obsession (The Mainland)- Tink is constantly on the lookout for "Lost Things", objects from The Mainland that end up on the shores near Pixie Hollow. She is also obsessed with humans in general, and often ventures FAR too close, which is forbidden.
Reputation (Rebellious Trouble-Magnet)- Tink generally cannot follow orders for even a second. Bar her from doing something, and you can be sure she'll do EXACTLY THAT the first chance she gets. Her friends more or less accept this at this point, merely assuming she'll get into some sort of trouble.
---
Relationship/Rivalry (Vidia)- Tinker Bell appears clueless that Vidia despises her at first (despite ample evidence), and even acts agreeable and friendly during The Great Fairy Rescue while Vidia snarks at her. Eventually things are more mutually-positive between the two of them.
Relationship (Rosetta, Fawn, Iridessa & Silvermist)- Tink makes quick friends with her interracial cast of pals. They even agree to help her "switch Talents", despite that being impossible, and Tink being a giant failure. They stand by her no matter what.
Relationship (Terence)- The pretty boy Dust Keeper Fairy was considered Tink's "Best Friend" in The Search for the Lost Treasure, and they were generally inseparable. The only annoyance is his interference & neat freak tendencies while she's trying to tinker. It is vague on just how close this relationship is. Also, he pretty much disappears after that movie, and you only see him in cameos thereafter.
Relationship (Periwinkle)- Tink is tickled pink to discover that she has a twin sister, "Born of the same laugh".

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 12 (129)

TINKER BELL (In the Fairy World)
Played by:
Mae Whitman
Role: Main Character, Inventor, Naiive Girl, Tempermental Girl
Obvious Lesbian Relationship With: Vidia (Naive, Friendly Curvy Girl meets Cynical, Slender Grouch with a superiority complex)
PL 5 (119), PL 6 (119) Saves
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 10 (+14)
Athletics 6 (+6)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+3)
Investigation 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 0 (+4)
Technology 10 (+14)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Skill Mastery (Technology), Teamwork, Ultimate Technology Skill

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
"She Can Fly!" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

"Tinker Talent"
Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Technology Skill & Inventing) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
---
Accident (Tinkerings)- Tink is HORRIBLY accident-prone, as her inventive Tinkerings have a tendency to explode. Things often end up broken, burning or lost in her presence. Even her Vehicular Skill has a tendency to go alarmingly-wrong, slamming into trees and fairies alike. The other Fairies are wise to keep their distance around a "new tinkering"...
Temper- When things go wrong, Tink blows her stack. Her tendency to go red in the face and begin screaming is known to her close friends, and most of them just laugh it off by this point.
Obsession (The Mainland)- Tink is constantly on the lookout for "Lost Things", objects from The Mainland that end up on the shores near Pixie Hollow. She is also obsessed with humans in general, and often ventures FAR too close, which is forbidden.
Reputation (Rebellious Trouble-Magnet)- Tink generally cannot follow orders for even a second. Bar her from doing something, and you can be sure she'll do EXACTLY THAT the first chance she gets. Her friends more or less accept this at this point, merely assuming she'll get into some sort of trouble.
---
Relationship/Rivalry (Vidia)- Tinker Bell appears clueless that Vidia despises her at first (despite ample evidence), and even acts agreeable and friendly during The Great Fairy Rescue while Vidia snarks at her. Eventually things are more mutually-positive between the two of them.
Relationship (Rosetta, Fawn, Iridessa & Silvermist)- Tink makes quick friends with her interracial cast of pals. They even agree to help her "switch Talents", despite that being impossible, and Tink being a giant failure. They stand by her no matter what.
Relationship (Terence)- The pretty boy Dust Keeper Fairy was considered Tink's "Best Friend" in The Search for the Lost Treasure, and they were generally inseparable. The only annoyance is his interference & neat freak tendencies while she's trying to tinker. It is vague on just how close this relationship is. Also, he pretty much disappears after that movie, and you only see him in cameos thereafter.
Relationship (Periwinkle)- Tink is tickled pink to discover that she has a twin sister, "Born of the same laugh".

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 16 (119)

-They've actually done really well with Tinker Bell in this series- Main Characters can often suffer from Boring Leader Guy Syndrome, or making them utterly-bland and free of quirks in order to make as many people as possible identify with them, while surrounding them with quirky, weird characters that make them look more normal. This has the ironic effect of making NOBODY identify with the Main Character, and makes the supporting cast a lot more popular. Disney's done this before- note how Hercules is the least-popular of the three main cast members of Disney's Hercules film; he's overshadowed completely by his sarcastic love interest and sinister, fast-talking villain. Many other Main Characters excel at everything (particularly if they're female, as many writers these days have no backbone and try to make all their girls "Strong Female Protagonists" by making them flawless). By contrast, Tink here is actually pretty fun- she's not as maniacally-murderous as she was in Peter Pan, but she's a tempermental, naive sort who gets herself into trouble repeatedly due to her own foolhardiness, and is prone to losing her cool on even her best friends. She's proof that you can be all that, AND a brilliant, fun character.

-Tinker Bell in the books is shown as being a bit feisty, and has little time or patience for the new girl, Prilla. Showing her around the Home Tree, Tink gets easily distracted by fixing some pots and pans, leaving Prilla to uncomfortably leave the room on her own. She's not UNKIND, but she'll lecture others, rips on the cruel Vidia straight to her face ("Vidia was the fairy Tink liked least"), and even blew up at her close friend Terence when he A) started bothering her when she was busy and broke something of hers, and B) got close enough that she realized she found him attractive, making her uncomfortable). A lot of her personality is explained as her love for Peter Pan, who claimed to have "picked the best fairy!"... "But then why would he bring THE WENDY to our home?" she cries to Mother Dove, desperate for companionship and a feeling of self-worth. Tink is a more minor character in Gail Carson Levine's first book, acting more as a temporary "this is how everything works" character in the beginning before being sidelined for the real stars, but she's used more later. Quite a few of the Chapter Books put her in prominent positions as well.

-Movie Tinker Bell (starring a movie NAMED after her, not some vague thing about ALL Fairies) starts off trying to switch "Talents", since she thinks being a pot & pan-making "Tinker" is a useless job. She nearly ruins Pixie Hollow and the seasonal change in trying to impress everyone, but is thankfully able to make things right with her talent for new inventions that make everyone ELSE'S jobs easier- and thus, she learns her true worth. She runs off on an adventure in the second film (after accidentally breaking the Moonstone), and gets captured by a human girl in the third- she swiftly gains a reputation for getting into trouble. She makes friends quickly and easily, and is definitely brave and willing to take risks, and eventually earns everyone's love and admiration.

-Of course, she's still WAY different from the hostile, murderous little pixie in the Disney film, which irks some fans. Of course, you could pass that off as her crush on the human-sized Peter Pan, who isn't a part of the Fairies movie franchise. At least she retains SOME edge to her personality- she's rebellious to the point of reckless endangerment, frequently tromping headlong into trouble just because she's curious about something or assumes she knows best. Mae Whitman does a pretty good job making her seem friendly and cheery, but also a bit of a fussbudget troublemaker who can lose her temper.

-Tink develops a bit oddly during the stories. In the first movie, she's a bit naive and easily fooled, and pushed around by Vidia, putting up with a lot of guff. In the next two, we get a mix of "Fighty Tinker Bell" (when she loses it on Terence and the human father), and her still being clueless that Vidia seems to despise her. Like, she'll EXPLODE on someone for pissing her off, but Vidia's open rudeness goes unremarked upon (largely because it'd be a fight, probably). However, in the remaining movies, she's more of a merry accidental troublemaker. In The Legend of the NeverBeast, it's such a given that she gets into trouble that when Fawn gives a nervous "Who, ME?" smile, Tink goes "Don't give me that look- I INVENTED that look" with a knowing smirk.

-Tink is quite similar to her 1955 film version, but adds a few new aspects- namely, her technical wizardry. +14 may SOUND a little crazy, but this is a woman who utilized STONE AGE TECHNOLOGY to formulate a goddamn SNOW MACHINE. She figured out how a 1920s English automobile worked just by looking at the undercarriage. She invented a hot air balloon-looking flying device using her Pixie Dust, helped the Fairies do three months of work in ONE FREAKING NIGHT with her rapid-fire inventions, and figured out how to make a broken Moonstone produce more Blue Pixie Dust than any Autumnal Change in history. She is basically the Reed Richards of Fairies, but looks one hell of a lot better in a green miniskirt.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

dat azzzzz