Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Vidia! Rosetta! Periwinkle! Zarina! Fawn!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, gave myself way more time than I need for these. Posted four Fairies a day instead of three :). So don’t worry, Official Animated Canon fans, we’re back to the regular stuff now.
Jabroniville

Lady and the Tramp

Post by Jabroniville »

LADY AND THE TRAMP (1955):
Written by:
Ward Greene (original short story), Erdman Penner, Joe Rinaldi, Ralph Wright, Don DaGradi & Joe Grant

A famous one, mainly for two iconic Disney scenes- the Bella Notte spaghetti kiss, and the We Are Siamese If You Please cats (who probably make every person from Thailand SUPER SUPER HAPPY that it's not called "Siam" anymore). The film's pretty good, and actually does a good job with the love story, and the portrayal of both characters being on different sides of the tracks. Me, I'll always remember their weird case of dog breeding, where all the girls are Lady's breed (American Cocker Spaniel), and the boy is basically a clone of Tramp the mutt- upon learning years later what dog breeds were ACTUALLY like (ie. not direct clones of the same-gendered parent), I got a kick out of this. Rover Dangerfield (an awful, AWFUL later-era Don Bluth movie) utilized the exact same trope in it's ending (now called "Gender Equals Breed" on TV Tropes), probably in reference to this. It's a bit funny that the villains are usually more annoying and troublesome than evil (except for that horrible rat, which is oddly motivated in it's attempts to kill a baby), and the cats are really more bitches- though are now iconic "Mean Cats" and have overwhelmed the numerous good cats in Disney movies in fame. So this is more of a low-key love story than anything, and it works on that level.

It's based off of some story I've never heard of (it's funny- people joke that all Disney stories are fairy tales, but there's a LOT more of them devoted to children's novels that have since gone forgotten because Disney's fame has overwhelmed the original works) called Happy Dan, The Whistling Dog, which appeared as a serial in Cosmopolitan magazine only ten years prior to the film's release. I think my favourite bit is when "Jim, Dear" announces that "Just this ONCE!" the crying puppy Lady can sleep with her owners in bed, then the scene shoots to an adult Lady... in the exact same spot on the bed, having long-since won this contest of wills.

The songs are a bit old-timey and don't hold up well. Peggy Lee did most of them (and won $3.2 million in a 1988 lawsuit when Disney tried to get out of paying her royalties), and they're very "of the 1950s", as is the opening which is just people droning on and on in that "Old-Timey Movie" sort of way.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-The movie was a HUUUUUUUUUGE smash at the time (making the most money since Snow White, and a bit more than the next movie, Sleeping Beauty), despite some bad reviews. It's also gone on to have one of the most famous movie romances ever, despite being ABOUT DOGS, which is an achievement in and of itself. Only a few years later, Disney would do ANOTHER "Dog Movie", and the lasting success of THAT one is why you see them go to that well so many times. I remember a comic featuring the little male puppy, Scamp, when I was a kid, and he finally got his own feature in 2002's straight-to-DVD sequel.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

the Siamese twins oh those two were MEAN, and this is coming from a cat lover.

what really sells them as villains and make no mistake THEY ARE villains. is their song. The subtle malice and intent in the song Is just oozing from their voices as they sing and strut around the room.

this line alone form their song as Si and Am look a fish bowl over

Si: Do you seeing that thing swimming round and round?
Am: Yes. Maybe we can reaching in and make it drown.
Si: If we sneaking up upon it carefully
Am: There will be a head for you, a tail for me.
thats just wanton cruelty that you expect from a villain
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

The Tramp

Post by Jabroniville »

THE TRAMP
Played By:
Larry Roberts
Role: Streetwise Character, Mentor Figure, Cad
PL 3 (59)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+5)
Expertise (Thief) 4 (+3)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+6, +2 Size)
Perception 2 (+4)
Sleight of Paw 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Connected, Fast Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Bite +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dogs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Lady)- Tramp is romantically-interested in the prim and proper Lady.
Reputation (Tramp)- Tramp is known for being a gadabout with multiple bitches (ACTUAL TERM) across town.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 4 (59)

-Both Tramp and later character Dodger (from Oliver & Company) are cut from the same cloth, being streetwise, smart-alecy characters who play mentor roles and are generally good with bitches (I'M NOT SEXIST DON'T HURT ME I AM REFERRING TO FEMALE DOGS), and are quite sprightly and good at fighting for their small size. The Tramp leads "Pidge" (Lady, nicknamed because of her naivete) through the streets, saving her from vicious strays, and even has her muzzle taken off by a friendly beaver at the nearby zoo.

-At PL 3, the Tramp is not exactly super-dominant because they're quite weak, but have some good accuracy.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

In my headcannon for Disney, Tramp and Dodger were originally owned by the same family but somehow they lost Tramp while visiting the city.There my homeboy's.... :D
Jabroniville

Sleeping Beauty

Post by Jabroniville »

SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959):
Written by:
Charles Perrault, Erdman Penner, Joe Rinaldi, Winston Hibler, Bill Peet, Ted Sears, Ralph Wright & Milt Banta

Sleeping Beauty- One of the crowning jewels of the pre-'90s Animated Canon, and for good reason. Oddly, I don't think this one was released amongst the big stream of movies in the '90s until later, because I don't think my parents ever got it- this was the biggest Disney movie I'd never seen as of 2012. I mean, my family owned EVERYTHING released in that era, and I have no recollectio of this one at all.

This movie is ASTONISHING. Never before have I seen animation like this. It's like a super-sized version of the basic Disney style, merged with the high-end artistic painting style of designer Eyvind Earle (who worked as the main guy on this movie- Disney was so in love with his style that he insisted everyone keep to it). This movie is so wonderfully-made that Disney wouldn't even come close to its animation quality until the 1990s (and it's a funny comparison- it's almost BETTER here, but lacks moving background figures, which Disney would later use as it's "Show Off" approach to animation, sorta like how anime directors do the same thing to show off their talent these days). They used a fancy new Technorama 70 Super-Widescreen set-up to best show off the backgrounds, and went for a more stylized look that the previous "rounded" Disney features. It's no wonder the bloody thing took a year to make- it's also no wonder this movie "Waterworlded" at the theatres (ie. it did very well and made a ton of money, but NOTHING was earning back the sheer amount of costs it accrued). The way Aurora is animated is beyond beautiful (the little head motions that Disney women make is incredibly subtle and well done), to say nothing of the sheer majesty of Maleficent.

AND WHAT A VILLAIN- Maleficent utterly owns every scene she's in, and the entire movie, despite having like ten minutes of screen time combined. Her sheer style, aura of menace and the way she's animated surpasses everything else. AND THAT VOICE-- when she's all "Now you shall deal with ME, O Prince- AND ALL THE POWERS OF HELL!!!", then transforms into an evil, laughing BLACK DRAGON, and the Prince just gives her this "What the FUCK!?!?!" expression... THAT is why animation is the best form of filmmaking. It's no wonder Disney always uses Maleficent as the leader of all the forces of evil in their "Combined Canon" stuff.

I liked the three fairies as well- they play well off of each other. Flora avoids the usual pratfalls of being "the smart one" by also being the most arrogant and condescending, Fauna is humorously dumb, and Merryweather is a rough & tumble grouch. The Prince avoids being as bland as most Princes around the '30s-'50s era by being kind of a joker and remarkably brave (I love how he basically falls in love with a chick in like three seconds, and then suddenly gets thrown against MALEFICENT as a Dragon... kids, ya know?). Given how much people stereotype Disney as "Having the Prince rescue the girl", it's kind of funny watching him have his life saved by the Fairies MULTIPLE TIMES during the duration of the movie's climax- they free him from chains, give him weapons, protect him from blasts, let him get over a pit, and even empower his wepaons one last time! This movie is basically "The Three Old Ladies Save The Day" six times over.

One of the great ending sequences in the movies, too. Heck, a Good Fairy KILLS SOMEONE. It's funny that the "pink" Aurora costume is the "Official" design when she's in the blue one for most of the movie (though her "peasant girl" dress is the cutest look she has)- I guess Flora won that battle of wills in the end. There's a great bit of documentary stuff on this set (talking about Earle the animation/art guy), a biography on Tchaikovsky (whose Sleeping Beauty's Waltz is the basis for the songs here), and they even show a 30-minute "Grand Canyon" nature film. There's a documentary about how they made the Sleeping Beauty Castle part of Disneyland, complete with mini-sets of all the projecting imagery.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-The movie cost SO much to make that even though it made a ton of money, it still lost about a million dollars- a big deal back in those days. The movie actually cost the studio a LOT, as they knew they couldn't really make losses like that again, and so there was an entire artistic shift into a cheaper animation style that involved a lot of tracing, "scratchy" outlines because erasing took too much time, and simpler movements. It really says something that Disney kept up that style well into the 1980s, so 1959's Sleeping Beauty looks noticeably better than 1986's Great Mouse Detective.

However, the cultural impact is unquestionable- Christ, this movie was advertised using a brand new castle in Walt's "Disneyland". Yes, the centerpiece of the entire park, and the basis for every other park build, was not only made years after opening, it was made to ADVERTISE AN UPCOMING FEATURE. Shove THAT in the faces of anyone crying about "Star Wars Land" and Disney throwing modern APs into the "Classic" Parks.

Maleficent herself has gone on to become the most memorable part of the entire film, despite having about twelve minutes of screentime. The sheer casual menace she gives off while in human form, combined with her raw power as a mighty dragon, makes her absolutely the top-tier villain in the Animated Canon. Crossovers and things like Kingdom Hearts and House of Mouse nearly always turn her into the leader of the villains- she ALWAYS maintains her dignity, and never looks foolish. This remains the only Disney Princess Movie in which the VILLAIN is the most-advertised and pushed part of it- she's probably the most pushed Disney Villain of all.

Of course, Aurora herself is a bit of an icon, omnipresent in the Disney Parks as a Meet & Greet Character, and a bit part of the Disney Princess line. Controversially (well, to Disney Nerds), they default to the "Pink Dress" look because Cinderella was chosen to be blue... which also prevents Ariel from having a Movie-Accurate dress (the Princess line switches her to green to set off her hair). It's to the point where the "Blue Dress" look actually looks odd, even though it was frequently seen in the picture itself. However, for issues I'll elaborate upon later, Aurora is also the least-known of the Disney Princesses, so she's this odd combination of heavily-pushed (she's almost always right in the middle of the Princess Line-Up), a "Classic Princess"... and one that has the fewest lines, so people barely know her. Poor Prince Phillip gets a lot of the same, often being shoved into the "Uninteresting Princes", alongside Snow White's and Cinderella's, even though he's far more active and important in the story. I blame his totally generic appearance.

Other Stuff: So there's Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland. Disneyland Paris has a gigantic PINK super-castle of its own, inspired by Cinderella Castle in terms of scope, but themed to La Belle Dormant, complete with a BLACK DRAGON sleeping in the chambers beneath- an animatronic dragon with light-up eyes and smoke pouring out of its gullet is one of the more famous "unique" things in Disney Parks. Aurora is a famous Disney Princess. Maleficent leads the Disney Villains in group pictures. The three Fairies didn't have much of a legacy (despite their huge part in the story), though they act as the classroom teachers in the Princess-themed TV series Sofia the First.

Sleeping Beauty is considered today to be one of the finest Disney Films ever made, at least artistically. Some find issues with the storytelling, the Princess herself barely gets any lines, and the movie notably lost money at first, but it's well-respected in terms of the art style, Maleficent is a dominant villain, and its iconography is celebrated. This one has DEFINITELY been vindicated by history.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Maleficent is probably my overall favorite Disney villains. Hades is entertaining. Jafari is delightfully evil. Syndrome is classic supervillain. The Evil Queen has menace. Hook and Prince John are amusing coward. Gaston is a fun jab at the classic Disney hero.

But Maleficent? The lady is just this wonderful combination of presence, snark, poise and menace. She just radiates power and control, everyone is scared to death of her, she's like evil witch Darth Vader.

It's one (amongst many) reasons why I hated that live action Maleficent movie that tried to make her an anti-hero. Just fucking no.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ares wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:54 am Maleficent is probably my overall favorite Disney villains. Hades is entertaining. Jafari is delightfully evil. Syndrome is classic supervillain. The Evil Queen has menace. Hook and Prince John are amusing coward. Gaston is a fun jab at the classic Disney hero.

But Maleficent? The lady is just this wonderful combination of presence, snark, poise and menace. She just radiates power and control, everyone is scared to death of her, she's like evil witch Darth Vader.

It's one (amongst many) reasons why I hated that live action Maleficent movie that tried to make her an anti-hero. Just fucking no.
Agreed she is the Epitome of the Disney villain and what any Epic villain should be

her speech as she explains the curse of the Sleeping Beauty to her horrified parents is a perfect example. She doesn't rant or rave or raise her voice, but she just walks through the room dominating it and pleasantly as if she were discussing growing flowers explains how this innocent baby is going to be cursed to sleep for every because she didn't get a party invite.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Periwinkle! Zarina! Fawn! Sleeping Beauty!)

Post by Ares »

Maleficent is definitely how I would play a "wicked fae" type character for a Changeling: The Lost or Dresden Files RPG. The lady basically doesn't get invited to a baby's birthday party, and is so offended that she's going to curse the child with eternal sleep. Not the parents who didn't invite her, not the other fairies that insulted her, but the baby who is too young to even grasp the concept of offense.

She has just this real air of dignity about her, when she shows up everyone is on edge, and it seems like if maybe someone had done some fast talking and ego massaging they might have been able to end things without any horrific curses. Buuuuut of course Merryweather has to open her mouth and say "You weren't wanted" and just kill any shot at diplomacy. And after she gives that curse, she basically obsesses over making sure that curse is fulfilled with constant searches for Aurora, basically putting her life on hold until she gets her extremely petty revenge. But that's the mark of a real villain: they have this extremely petty motivation, but they pull it off with such class that you still are deathly afraid of them. It's the difference between being Maleficent and being Guy Pierce's character in Iron Man 3, who basically had no dignity at all.

One bit I also liked was just how good a dad Prince Philip had. The kid announces that he's fallen in love with some common girl (which, good on Philip for not caring about things like social status), and what does his dad do? Prepare to go to bat for his son against Aurora's dad, knowing this might hurt their own friendship and relations between their kingdoms by breaking off an arranged marriage. But the guy loves his son and wants him to be happy, so even if he's kind of a buffoon, he's still someone I've got to respect.

Speaking of Philip, the guy is one of the more badass Disney Prince's in my book. He had an actual personality, a bitchin cape, and yeah, he needed some help escaping from the lair of Maleficent, but I can cut the guy some slack for being essentially an athletic young fighter going up against the most dangerous spellcaster in the known world. And once he gets a magic sword and shield, he does pretty good for himself.

Jab reminded me of a time I'd annoyed him because I'd apparently commented on his Disney builds once with this bit about how the Disney Princes were all hanging out at a bar while their girls went shopping, and they were making fun of the Beast because he was basically his own worst enemy, and his toughest fight was against a normal guy (granted, Gaston, but Beast basically outclassed him in every way), and that Beast basically was throwing himself a pity party because by allowing Belle to leave, he never really thought "Well, maybe she'll be back?" because he's such a morose lug at that point. Though at least by then he's morphed into something more Ben Grimm-esque in his self-loathing.

If I were going to re-do that whole bit, it'd basically be the Princes from Snow White and Cinderella sitting on the far side of the table while everyone else is recounting the things they did for their girl, being very quite so as to not draw attention to themselves.

"So Maleficent turns into this giant black dragon, and I've got to sword-fight her up the side of this mountain before the fairies give my sword one last buff and I just chuck it into her heart, killing her dead."
"NICE. I took on a kaiju-sized Ursula by ramming a ship right through her Cthulhu style. Worked even better on her."
"Speaking of evil gods, I took a dip in the River of the Dead and pulled my girl's soul out from a realm of eternal torment, and then punched out the God of Death."
"I didn't get around to any punching, but I did trick Jafar into turning himself from an all-powerful wizard into a genie, thus imprisoning himself within a lamp."
"Nothing wrong with using your head. If I'd used mine more often it'd spared me some grief. As it stands, my biggest accomplishment was beating up Gaston."
"DUDE. That was you?"
"Oh thank God, someone finally took out that prick."
"Another round for the Ex-Beast on me, for taking out the world's largest source of hot air."
"I'll drink to that. Say, Charming? Prince #1? You guys are being awfully quiet."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:25 am
Ares wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:54 am Maleficent is probably my overall favorite Disney villains. Hades is entertaining. Jafari is delightfully evil. Syndrome is classic supervillain. The Evil Queen has menace. Hook and Prince John are amusing coward. Gaston is a fun jab at the classic Disney hero.

Agreed she is the Epitome of the Disney villain and what any Epic villain should be

her speech as she explains the curse of the Sleeping Beauty to her horrified parents is a perfect example. She doesn't rant or rave or raise her voice, but she just walks through the room dominating it and pleasantly as if she were discussing growing flowers explains how this innocent baby is going to be cursed to sleep for every because she didn't get a party invite.
That's why you don't insult the Fae. Hell, if they would have invited her not only would she have been bound by guest rights to not harm anyone, she probably would have given Aurora a pretty kickass gift.
Formerly luketheduke86
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I wish I could find it... there was a nice article commenting on the artwork of the Disney princesses and what inspired it. They do note the color schemes, and how it's influenced the "official" costumes as well as Snow White's megacephaly (to make her fit in among the dwarves and look more cute), Aurora's more stylized appearance (to match the existing artwork they recived), Pocahontas gaining Asian features (it tested as more "exotic" than the early Native American design) to Mulan's eyelashes and eyebrows morphing when she crossdressed to avoid a "pretty" male soldier.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:26 pm oh more fairies I swe....hey now....Nyx huh? and played by Rosario Dawson eh?

hmmm
She and Fawn have SO MUCH CHEMISTRY, yo. Totally fits the information I put under "Role" for each Fairy (everyone seems to have missed that hidden info :)). Nyx is just so STUFFY and un-fun and bad-ass, while Fawn is so gleeful, fun-loving and girly and it's just AGH WHY DIDN'T THEY KISS AT THE ENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDD???
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

The Siamese cat song has one of the catchiest themes out of all Disney songs..

We are Siamese if you please
We are Siamese if you don't please
We are looking over our new domicile
If we like (it?) we will stay quite a while
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

In the long running Fables, they make all the classic Princes the same guy, theoretically a serial monogamist that seems to stray pretty often at the new hawt young thang.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 am If I were going to re-do that whole bit, it'd basically be the Princes from Snow White and Cinderella sitting on the far side of the table while everyone else is recounting the things they did for their girl, being very quite so as to not draw attention to themselves.

"So Maleficent turns into this giant black dragon, and I've got to sword-fight her up the side of this mountain before the fairies give my sword one last buff and I just chuck it into her heart, killing her dead."
"NICE. I took on a kaiju-sized Ursula by ramming a ship right through her Cthulhu style. Worked even better on her."
"Speaking of evil gods, I took a dip in the River of the Dead and pulled my girl's soul out from a realm of eternal torment, and then punched out the God of Death."
"I didn't get around to any punching, but I did trick Jafar into turning himself from an all-powerful wizard into a genie, thus imprisoning himself within a lamp."
"Nothing wrong with using your head. If I'd used mine more often it'd spared me some grief. As it stands, my biggest accomplishment was beating up Gaston."
"DUDE. That was you?"
"Oh thank God, someone finally took out that prick."
"Another round for the Ex-Beast on me, for taking out the world's largest source of hot air."
"I'll drink to that. Say, Charming? Prince #1? You guys are being awfully quiet."
"I get a serious chubby for hawt dead girls."
"Bro, shut up, you're drunk."
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.