Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Aurora! Phillip! The Fairies! Maleficent! Cruella de Vil!)

Post by Ares »

I'd once seen a made-for-tv animated film that was apparently much more faithful to the source material . . . and I can see why Disney went the route they did. I haven't read the original novels with the character, but they really don't seem like good material for a movie aimed at younger kids. From what I saw, it was a lot more about animals debating, the law of the jungle, how wolf society worked, etc. Walt clearly just wanted the idea of some kid going around with his wacky jungle buddies, and decided to tie it into that rather than come up with his own setting.

Mowgli is sort of a little boy version of Aurora in a lot of cases. He's a human being raised by non-humans in some secluded wilderness area and his only friends are animals that he can talk to, and he doesn't really have much agency. He's just someone who stuff sort of happens to, with the one exception that he technically defeats Shere Khan by tying a fire-lit tree branch to his tail. Otherwise he basically gets dragged from one weird scenario to the next. Very "Alice in Wonderland" in the jungle.

Baloo is the most entertaining part of the movie by a stretch, and it's no surprise they'd bring the character back for his own series in Tailspin. Heck, when they decided to include a Junglebook character in Disney Infinity, they went with Baloo.

One of my favorite lines of his had to be when he was distracting Shere Khan by holding onto his tail.

Vulture: "The kid's clear, you can let go now."
Baloo: "Are you kidding?! There's TEETH on the other end!"
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:34 am In my headcannon,Mim turned out to be Mama from the Adams Family(having married Merlin and giving birth to Morticia)...
hmmmm i like that
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:48 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:34 am In my headcannon,Mim turned out to be Mama from the Adams Family(having married Merlin and giving birth to Morticia)...
hmmmm i like that
It's actually Addams family cannon,check out the episode with Mama's date...
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:40 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:48 pm
hmmmm i like that
It's actually Addams family cannon,check out the episode with Mama's date...
noooooooo shit? Well coolio
Jabroniville

Mowgli

Post by Jabroniville »

MOWGLI
Played by:
Bruce Reitherman
Role: Naiive Youngster, Wild Child
PL 1 (19)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+3)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+1)
Expertise (Singing) 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+1)
Stealth 0 (+0, +4 Size)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

"Raised By Wolves" Comprehend 2 (Animals) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Naiive)- Mowgli is a relatively innocent child, having no idea about danger. He is overly trusting to anyone who acts like a friend, even if they are dangerous predators.
Motivation (Staying in the Jungle)- Mowgli doesn't like Bagheera and the Wolf Council's decision to send him to a human village- he prefers the fun life of the jungle, especially after meeting up with the fun-loving Baloo.
Relationship (Bagheera)- Mowgli chafes under the stern tutelage of the un-fun Bagheera.
Relationship (Baloo)- Once Baloo shows the boy the Bare Necessities of Life, they are inseparable buddies.
Enemy (Shere Khan)- The Tiger hates Man, and will specifically kill Mowgli upon finding him.

Total: Abilities: -4 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 5 (19)

-Mowgli is honestly kind of a pain in the ass in the film, constantly being an idiot and going off and nearly getting eaten by a Boa constrictor or something. Kids are totally useless, especially in the wild, even if they've been raised by Wolves (who oddly only show up in the first couple minutes and then never again, despite caring for the boy since he was a newborn).

About the Performer: The Bobby Driscoll of the '60s, Bruce Reitherman got some pretty major roles at the Disney studios, landing the roles of Mowgli, then Christopher Robin. However, he avoided the mandatory drug addiction and horrible adult life, becoming a successful cameraman and producer later on.
Jabroniville

Bagheera

Post by Jabroniville »

BAGHEERA
Played by:
Sebastian Cabot
Role: The Serious One, The Teacher
PL 7 (105)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+10)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cat Agility"
"Climbing Skills" Enhanced Skills 8: Athletics 8 (+14) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Black Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+12) (Flaws: Limited to Dark Areas) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Mowgli)- Bagheera saved the infant Mowgli, and has taken care of him ever since, watching over him.
Rivalry (Baloo)- The "Jungle Bum" is annoying, and frequently teases proud Bagheera.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 10 (105)

-Bagheera the Black Panther is Mowgli's best friend at first, taking a stern caretaker role towards the boy. He's a bit serious and boring, which is why Mowgli leans towards Baloo, but eventually everyone comes to terms. Oddly, Disney's people reversed his & Baloo's personalities from the original book, making Baggy the serious grump and Baloo the one who spoils him.

About the Performer: Sebastian Cabot not only played Bagheera, but actually narrated all of the Winnie the Pooh stories for Disney, and played Sir Ector in The Sword in the Stone, too. The rest of his career was mostly bit parts, though he got a lot of work.
Jabroniville

Baloo

Post by Jabroniville »

BALOO
Played by:
Phil Harris
Role: Jungle Hippy, Fun Guy, Party Animal
PL 7 (84)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Deception 3 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 7 (+11)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 1 (+5, +6 Size)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+4)
Stealth 0 (+3, +1 Size)

Advantages:
Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking) [4]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Natural Weapons +6 (+7 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Bears cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Mowgli)- Baloo grows to love the Man-Cub quickly, and wants to stay with him in the jungle forever.
Rivalry (Bagheera)- The stuffy, boring Bagheera is easily ignored by the fun-loving Baloo.
Motivation (The Bare Necessities)- Baloo believes in having few responsibilities or cares as the ideal way to get through life.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 11 (84)

-Baloo is the most famous and well-remembered character in the movie, even getting his own bizarre spin-off in TaleSpin decades later (really- was there some kind of nostalgia for '30s-style Cargo Plane Adventure Movies?), and a character just like him in two later movies- The Aristocats and Robin Hood. Walt must have just LOVED this guy, apparently. Baloo is a "Jungle Bum" as Bagheera calls him, and generally just lolls about, having fun, singing and eating without responsibility. However, much like Simba learns in "The Lion King", Baloo learns to care about certain things, and nearly sacrifices his life to save Mowgli from Shere Khan's claws. And of course rubs it in to Bagheera just a little bit by playing dead a little too long, just to hear the beautiful eulogy.

-Baloo is quite powerful, being a Sloth Bear, but isn't quite as rough as Bagheera, and is well below Shere Khan, who is easily grappled by the larger fighter, but once he starts defending himself rather than trying to escape, the fight gets REALLY ugly.

About the Performer: Phil Harris famously played three near-identical roles in Disney films, but was a performer in his own right, going back to the days of radio. He was an accomplished musician and bandleader, too, appearing on what would become The Jack Benny Program, a top-tier role for the time. Harris actually lived long enough to voice Baloo into his eighties for TaleSpin, and died in 1995.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Maleficent! Cruella de Vil! Bagheera! Baloo!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Continually weird how many actors recurred back in the day. While it was customary back in the ‘90s to reward good performances with a bigger push (Cogsworth-Ratcliffe, Monsieur Darque-Frollo, Broadway Belle-Megara), I was unprepared to see Disney basically use a whole company of actors, more or less.

Hopefully people are actually reading the “Performer” bits, since that’s the most work right now :).
Ken

Post by Ken »

Reading. Just not finding much to add or comment on.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:22 am Reading. Just not finding much to add or comment on.
What he said.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

King Louie

Post by Jabroniville »

KING LOUIE
Played by:
Louis Prima
Role: Obese King, Party Animal
PL 6 (79)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 8 (+12)
Intimidation 1 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (King of The Monkeys), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]
"Apelike Body" Enhanced Skill 4: Athletics 4 (+11) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]
"Tremendous Arm Length" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Apes cannot speak to humans.
Motvation (Human/Man's Red Fire)- King Louie kidnaps Mowgli and pretends to be his pal in order to gain control of "Man's Red Flower"- he's quite annoyed when Mowgli confesses ignorance, and doesn't believe the Man-Cub. Deep down, Louie wants to be a human.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 10 (79)

-King Louie did not appear in the original Jungle Book stories, and was based off of the modern-day Jazz Trumpeter Louis Prima- his widow sued Disney in 1996 over using his likeness, which may have inspired the cancellation of TaleSpin and resulted in his character not speaking again until 2010, because Jim Cummings' impression of him was so good. His whole mini-story was interesting in that it's a bit of a throwaway plot point (just like the Elephant March), but results in the best song of the movie (I Wanna Be Like You) with some of the best comedy (Baloo dressing up in drag as an Orangutan Goddess is classic). Like Baloo & Shere Khan, he took part in TaleSpin, as a friendly bar owner (my friend once told me he couldn't figure out as a kid why there was this hang-out where guys were always fighting).

-Louie, like all Orangutans, is incredibly strong by human standards (at one point, he & Baloo comedically hold up a crumbling piece of temple that weighs dozens of tons, as it's columns slowly give way), but is probably weaker than Baloo, Bagheera & Shere Khan in overall PL. He's the best singer & dancer of the group, though, and is quite fun and persuasive, despite a REALLY goddamn low Insight score (I mean, mistaking a Sloth Bear for an Orangutan? Nice friggin' Insight Save, dipshit).

-The Live-Action Remake actually turns the character into a GIGANTOPITHECUS, explaining what an orang-looking creature is doing on the continent (where such creatures are not native)... but of course raising the question of WHAT THE HELL YEAR IS IT, given that a GIGANTOPITHECUS is an extinct creature in our time! I mean, you just created ANOTHER unexplained plot element by "fixing" the old one!

About the Performer: Louis Prima was one of the earliest musicians to embrace his ethnic heritage- back in the day, even Italians would often hide their heritage from American audiences. A jazz musician, he had a lot of hits in the '30s. He was a big name in music for years, but died fairly young, only eleven years after The Jungle Book was released, after having been in a coma for three.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:03 am Continually weird how many actors recurred back in the day. While it was customary back in the ‘90s to reward good performances with a bigger push (Cogsworth-Ratcliffe, Monsieur Darque-Frollo, Broadway Belle-Megara), I was unprepared to see Disney basically use a whole company of actors, more or less.

Hopefully people are actually reading the “Performer” bits, since that’s the most work right now :).
Wierd fact: the reason they stopped making Tailspin was because Harris died. I loved watching that show...
slade the sniper

Re: Jab's Builds! (Periwinkle! Zarina! Fawn! Sleeping Beauty!)

Post by slade the sniper »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:43 am
slade the sniper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:07 am Just so you know, Maleficent is absolutely making an appearance in next week's gaming scenario. Thank YOU, sir! You saved me about 4+ hours.

The Evil Queen, however is going to be a pastiche of the Sigourney Weaver/Charlize Theron/ + the Queen of Air and Darkness, sister of Titania, Unseelie Fae... I think that gives her more gravitas. I would hate for her to down like a chump since my "Snow White" is a 5th generation Ventrue and the PC's are fae assassins.

Anyway, thanks!

-STS
Hey, no problem! Glad to be of service! Let me know how she does :).
Ares wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 am Maleficent is definitely how I would play a "wicked fae" type character for a Changeling: The Lost or Dresden Files RPG. The lady basically doesn't get invited to a baby's birthday party, and is so offended that she's going to curse the child with eternal sleep. Not the parents who didn't invite her, not the other fairies that insulted her, but the baby who is too young to even grasp the concept of offense.

She has just this real air of dignity about her, when she shows up everyone is on edge, and it seems like if maybe someone had done some fast talking and ego massaging they might have been able to end things without any horrific curses. Buuuuut of course Merryweather has to open her mouth and say "You weren't wanted" and just kill any shot at diplomacy. And after she gives that curse, she basically obsesses over making sure that curse is fulfilled with constant searches for Aurora, basically putting her life on hold until she gets her extremely petty revenge. But that's the mark of a real villain: they have this extremely petty motivation, but they pull it off with such class that you still are deathly afraid of them. It's the difference between being Maleficent and being Guy Pierce's character in Iron Man 3, who basically had no dignity at all.

One bit I also liked was just how good a dad Prince Philip had. The kid announces that he's fallen in love with some common girl (which, good on Philip for not caring about things like social status), and what does his dad do? Prepare to go to bat for his son against Aurora's dad, knowing this might hurt their own friendship and relations between their kingdoms by breaking off an arranged marriage. But the guy loves his son and wants him to be happy, so even if he's kind of a buffoon, he's still someone I've got to respect.

Speaking of Philip, the guy is one of the more badass Disney Prince's in my book. He had an actual personality, a bitchin cape, and yeah, he needed some help escaping from the lair of Maleficent, but I can cut the guy some slack for being essentially an athletic young fighter going up against the most dangerous spellcaster in the known world. And once he gets a magic sword and shield, he does pretty good for himself.
So FYI in the Dark Fae game I am GM-ing...the players decided to eventually ALLY with Maleficent, kill off Snow White (she was a vampire anyway), took a job to kill off Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, and use magic to hook up Prince Phillip with The Evil Queen (after knocking her up...Phillip doesn't know...).

I thought I was being unique, but alas, Ares has the same sort of ideas.

Got any builds for the three good fairies?

And...King Louie = Christopher Walken...that was epic!

Thanks for the builds.

-STS
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

A note about the Louis Prima-related lawsuit: http://legendsrevealed.com/entertainmen ... ing-louie/

I haven't heard about Harris dying being the cause of TaleSpin dying. In fact, the show lasted for 65 episodes- EXACTLY the number you need for syndication, and the official "Cut-Off Date" of most Disney shows. I would imagine that's more likely to be the cause (though DuckTales, Darkwing Duck and a couple others lasted a bit longer).

Now that we're on Phil Harris-related stuff, I can point out HOW WEIRD IT IS that the guy played the same basic character for three Disney Movies in a row. The Jungle Book featured Baloo, Robin Hood featured him simply being recolored as Little John (to save money), and The Aristocats, the movie between the two, used him as O'Malley the Alley Cat. The same voice, intonations and everything.

It's so weird, because while "repeat casting" was common back in the day (the same woman playing Lady Tremaine & Maleficent, and various other performers doing bit parts and villains periodically), this was BLATANTLY the same guy doing the same act in three films in a row. And MAJOR CHARACTERS in each one!

Imagine if after Frozen's success, Disney had simply had Idina Menzel play characters in Big Hero 6 and Zootopia, the next two features, using the exact same tone and character tics as Queen Elsa... and in one of them, had used the same character design as Elsa, but with a different hair color and a new dress. That's how weird and noticeable that would have been.

I really wonder what people thought of that at the time.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Periwinkle! Zarina! Fawn! Sleeping Beauty!)

Post by Jabroniville »

slade the sniper wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:16 am o FYI in the Dark Fae game I am GM-ing...the players decided to eventually ALLY with Maleficent, kill off Snow White (she was a vampire anyway), took a job to kill off Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, and use magic to hook up Prince Phillip with The Evil Queen (after knocking her up...Phillip doesn't know...).

I thought I was being unique, but alas, Ares has the same sort of ideas.

Got any builds for the three good fairies?

And...King Louie = Christopher Walken...that was epic!

Thanks for the builds.

-STS
Haha, yeah, I remember you mentioning the Maleficent thing to me once before, either by PM or in my thread :).

I built the Fairies just a couple of days ago- you might have missed them.

Glad you're liking the builds still :)!