Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (Cruella! Bagheera! Baloo! Shere Khan! Kaa! Robin Hood!)

Post by catsi563 »

Eating peoples always been based at least imo on the notion of Cannibalism in that consuming a person is supposed to give you their power or similar cultural beliefs, you take a part of them into you and so on and so forth,

Its part of what gave rise to the Vampire beliefs and why the sexy vampire myth became a thing, that notion of sex and power by consumption of another in some various ways.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Shock

Re: Shere Khan

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:39 pm Image

SHERE KHAN
Alan Rickman would have made a great Shere Khan.
catsi563

Re: Shere Khan

Post by catsi563 »

Shock wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:59 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:39 pm Image

SHERE KHAN
Alan Rickman would have made a great Shere Khan.
here here on that
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
HalloweenJack

Re: The Aristocats

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:47 am The worst that one could say of The AristoCats is that it is unmemorable. It's smoothly executed, of course, and enjoyable, but neither its superficial story nor its characters have any resonance.
-Leonard Maltin

THE ARISTOCATS (1970):
Written by:
Tom McGowan & Tom Rowe (Original Book), Larry Clemmons, Eric Cleworth, Vance Garry, Julius Svendsen, Frank Thomas & Ralph Wright
-BLEH. A movie all about jazz music (one of my least-favorite genres) and basically being the exact same thing as 101 Dalmatians but with a butler trying to kill them instead of an interesting villain that owns the film. Every part of this feels like a retread (complete with Phil Harris doing his Baloo/Little John voice), and it's very weak. Eva Gabor plays the elegant, refined Duchess, and Harris plays O'Malley the Alley Cat, and my god, it's also ripping off Lady and the Tramp completely.

One of the few Disney movies that paint CATS in a positive light, this one came about because Walt wanted some more "animal pictures" for TV programming, but ultimately it got turned into a feature. Walt wanted the story to feature more on Duchess's desire to find good people to adopt her kittens, but after he died, the writers turned it into a 101 Dalmatians-type Action Comedy. The two villains, a butler and a maid, eager to assassinate the cat & kittens in order to inherit their dead owner's money, was turned into just a single butler in order to simplify things.

The movie was the last one that Walt personally greenlit- it was largely done after his death in 1967, following wrapping of The Jungle Book. It was also the last movie worked on by the Sherman Brothers, who'd worked for Walt for years- they left the studio following disillusionment with the Post-Walt organizational structure.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-The movie did very well for the time, but didn't have much impact on Disney as a whole, who largely ignored the characters. Marie, the female kitten, is quite popular in Japan (which has a very strong obsession with cats, as well as cute things- making her one of the few Disney characters to match BOTH of those things)- Tokyo DisneySea features a big celebration of jazz & big-band music that features tons of appearances from Disney's biggest characters... and Marie, who gets her own solo number.

A sequel was planned in the 2000s, but John Lasseter becoming Disney's Chief Creative Officer put the kibosh on all sequels, as it was believed to be devaluing the Disney brand name.

another one my nephew adored.

The old codger caterwauling " rah rah boomieay (spelling?)!" was something he laughed about well into adulthood
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

As for Robin Hood, I dig it. It isn't my favorite Disney movie, but I remember enjoying it alot as a kid.

My niece and I can't get the little fella I've mentioned before into try as we might though. He's stuck on Peter Pan.
Jabroniville

Robin Hood (Character)

Post by Jabroniville »

ROBIN HOOD (Robin of Loxley)
Played By:
Brian Bedford
Role: The Hero, The Robin Hood (well, really- duh)
PL 8 (126)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+11)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Deception 3 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Nobility) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Thief) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 2 (+6)
Insight 4 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 6 (+9)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Bow & Arrow) 5 (+13)
Stealth 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Benefit (Leader of the Merry Men), Equipment 2 (Bow & Arrow, Staff), Fearless, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Bow & Arrow) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-All-Trades, Leadership, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Taunt, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Equipment:
"Bow & Arrow" Blast 3 (6) -- (7)
  • AE: "Quarterstaff" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (3)
"Disguise Stuff"

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Quarterstaff +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bow & Arrow +13 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Robbing the Rich & Giving To the Poor)- Robin sees Prince John and his henchmen to be extortionists with no real claim to power; as such, he feels no guilt for robbing them." Rob"? Such a naughty word. We never rob! We just... 'borrow' a bit from those who can afford it."
Relationship (Maid Marian)- Absence makes the heart grow fonder, indeed.
Relationship (Little John)- Truly a bromance for the ages.
Enemy (Prince John, The Sherrif of Nottingham)

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (126)

-Robin himself is the hero of the picture, and a more cheery and bright fellow than a lot of adaptations (especially the recent ones, which all paint him as this grim, obsessive figure). He's quick-witted, sly, sneaky and prone to crazy plans that somehow turn out well- he's quite the Master of Disguise and a good bluffer, though in this version he's hardly going up against some elite minds. PL 8 seems to suit him- he's quick and accurate, and not ready for the Justice League or nothin', but he's accurate as HELL with that Bow & Arrow, even though they're made out of bent sticks and pointy rocks. Heck, one time he hit an arrow-through-the-other's-arrow bullseye by HITTING AN ARROW WITH A DIFFERENT ARROW IN MID-FLIGHT! The dude has mad skillz.

-Odd for a Disney character, but Robin doesn't do a whole lot of singing & dancing. This is one of the few Disney movies/musicals that DOESN'T feature the main characters doing a lot of singing- Alan A'Dale sings a few ditties, and Little John gets into one, but Robin himself doesn't even do an "I Want" song or any of that.

About the Performer: Brian Bedford is much more well-known for his theatrical career than any voice acting- he's been nominated for seven Tony Awards for his work with Shakespeare's plays, the second-most of any actor.
Jabroniville

Little John

Post by Jabroniville »

LITTLE JOHN
Played By:
Phil Harris
Role: The Sidekick, Cool-Cat Hipster
PL 7 (114)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 3 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Thief) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Bow & Arrow) 2 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 2 (Staff, Dagger), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Taunt, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Quarterstaff" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (3) -- (4)
AE: "Dagger" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)
"Disguise Stuff"

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Quarterstaff +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Dagger +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Robin Hood)- Truly a bromance for the ages.
Enemy (Prince John, The Sherrif of Nottingham)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (114)

-Little John is quite funny in this movie, being a lot more funny than the sly Robin, because he's such a loutish funny guy (years later I would discover this is sort of what hippies were like in this era). I love that scene where Prince John is about to have Robin executed, and L.J. just sticks a knife in his back and chokes him while threatening him "let go of my BUDDY or I'll--", and P.J. goes "Release my BUDDY or I'll-GLK!!" Little John's a big guy and about as friendly as most versions of him, and he's almost as good a fighter as Robin is overall, being a real powerhouse. And let's not forget his singing skills: the guy whips out The Phony King of England off the top of his head.
Jabroniville

Maid Marian & Lady Kluck

Post by Jabroniville »

MAID MARIAN
Played By:
Monica Evans (Nancy Adams- Singing Voice)
Role: The Love Interest, The Damsel In Distress
PL 2 (113)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Nobility) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 3 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Robin Hood)- Absence makes the heart grow fonder, indeed.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (113)

-Maid Marian isn't the toughest of women, most of the Disney females before a certain point were pretty low-level and not much good in a fight. However, if you screw with Maid Marian, you gotta deal with...

LADY KLUCK
Played By:
Carole Shelley
Role: The Ass-Kicking Fattie
PL 6 (55)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Nobility) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Singing/Dancing) 2 (+4)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Power Attack, Takedown 2

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Robin Hood)- Absence makes the heart grow fonder, indeed.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (55)

-Lady Kluck is sorta like Carla from Cheers- small and not that impressive-looking, but she's the toughest character around. And holy shit- her Voice Actor, Carol Shelley, created the role of Madame Morrible in Wicked! Now THAT's a pedigree! Oh, and she won a Tony Award for The Elephant Man. And was in both stage and screen versions of The Odd Couple as one of the Pigeon sisters- the other played her sister when the two played geese in The Aristocats, as well... and played Maid Marian. So the two are actually a long-standing Casting Gag at the Disney studios.
Spectrum

Re: The Aristocats

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:47 am Reception & Cultural Impact:
-The movie did very well for the time, but didn't have much impact on Disney as a whole, who largely ignored the characters. Marie, the female kitten, is quite popular in Japan (which has a very strong obsession with cats, as well as cute things- making her one of the few Disney characters to match BOTH of those things)- Tokyo DisneySea features a big celebration of jazz & big-band music that features tons of appearances from Disney's biggest characters... and Marie, who gets her own solo number.
The only other cute Disney cat that I can think of.. came about nearly 20 years later in Oliver. I know that I saw it, but can't remember much about it other than being a follow the leader to the Bluth movies.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:06 am
Blitz, about the above wrote:Ahh, Internet. Every day you find new and exciting ways to hurt my brain...
haha, holy shit- Blitz/BriarThrone was commenting on my stuff all the way back in 2013 :).
My post count has never been amazing, but I've been around quite a while.

I don't think that post was even particularly early.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

More of a game theory question, but with Robin as accurate as he is, why not perception range? I don't remember the movie well, but anything that deserved move object, shooting an object and making it move?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:04 am More of a game theory question, but with Robin as accurate as he is, why not perception range? I don't remember the movie well, but anything that deserved move object, shooting an object and making it move?
I would go with Ultimate Aim or something similar. He wasn't perfect
Jabroniville

Friar Tuck

Post by Jabroniville »

"GET OUTTA MY CHURCH!!!!"

FRIAR TUCK
Played By:
Andy Devine
Role: Churchy Badass
PL 5 (49)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Religion) 9 (+11)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment (Big Stick, Damage +1), Tough 2

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +1, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Church)- Friar Tuck is devoutly religious, and attempts to fleece his congregation out of money will be met with a degree of hostility.
Enemy (The Sheriff of Nottingham)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (49)

-Friar Tuck is always an extra addition to the Robin Hood Mythos- The Merry Men practically turn into a Super-Team, and most films and works have to deal with the whole "Gathering of the Party" stuff (thankfully, they don't all meet in a tavern). Tuck (pretty much always portly) defends the poor, and thus takes Robin's side in the matter. He's a solid fighter, nearly getting the upper hand on The Sheriff when he comes to steal the Church's last farthing, but not as elite as Robin & Little John.

About the Performer: Andy Devine is a Southerner whose distinctive wheezy voice and drawl actually helped out his career rather than hinder it, as it was perfect for a lot of cowboy roles, many of which he starred in alongside John Wayne (such as Stagecoach and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance). His biggest role was apparently as Jingles on some movies & a TV show about Wild Bill Hicock. In his late sixties by the time Robin Hood came out, he died only four years later.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:04 am More of a game theory question, but with Robin as accurate as he is, why not perception range? I don't remember the movie well, but anything that deserved move object, shooting an object and making it move?
I never give that out, except for cases like Bullseye, where they have authentic super-powers.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Posting about Robin Hood is interesting to me, because when I first did the Disney Builds in 2013, that was the FIRST set I posted. To me, it was a bit of a "Proof of Concept"- I didn't wanna start with noncombatants like the Evil Queen & Snow White, or other Disney Princesses. I wanted to post up the closest thing Disney produces to Action Heroes, and ones with more cultural impact. That pretty much everyone has at least a solid opinion of the movie helped. It was a great way to "ease" people into what was going to be a monster set of builds, some of which was "RPG Unfriendly" material.

The movie is interesting, because it's that unique combination of "very famous" and "also not the Iconic Representation of the Story". People are so aware of Robin Hood conceptually (much like Tarzan & Hercules) that even Disney couldn't hope to supersede things, and making it about animal-people was a master-stroke that made it iconic and DIFFERENT amidst a sea of clones (this was not too long after Errol Flynn's iconic version, remember).