Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds!

Post by Ken »

Disability: Guile may only wear button down shirts, or shirts with very wide neck openings.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

He's like Bosk, from Star Wars!

Jabroniville

E. Honda

Post by Jabroniville »

E. HONDA (Edmond Honda)
Created By:
Akira Yasuda
First Appearance: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991)
Game Appearances: Street Fighter II- All Games, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter IV- All Games, Street Fighter VI, Capcom (vs) SNK 1-2, Street Fighter: The Movie
Home Country: Japan
Role: Funny Fat Guy, Token Sumo
Vague Martial Art Basis: Sumo
PL 9 (127)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+8)
Athletics 9 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+13)
Expertise (Sumo) 8 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+9)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Throw, Diehard, Follow-Up Strike (Oicho Throw), Improved Critical (Hundred-Hand Slap), Improved Critical (Flying Headbutt) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Initative 2, Startle, Taunt

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Power Punch" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Extreme Jumper" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Special Moves"
"Hundred Hand-Slap" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 5 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (7.5) -- [10.5]
  • AE: "Sumo Butt-Stomp" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Sumo Headbutt" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Oicho Throw" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponent Who Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Proving Sumo)- E. Honda desires to prove that Ozeki (that is, Sumo Wrestlers) are the greatest athletes and fighters in the world. This will be accomplished by beating the $#!& out of people.
Responsibility (Ozeki)- As a Sumo, even a retired one, E. Honda has certain standards of behavior to uphold. Even by Japanese standards, Sumo must act a certain way. He must act honourably and with dignity. He musn't gamble.
Weakness (Predictability)- E. Honda, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 41--20.5 / Advantages: 14 + 12 / Powers: 12.5 / Defenses: 20 (127)

-I hated E. Honda for a long time as a kid- the computer played DIRTY with him, using Ken-style Spammed Specials, and since they were a mix of rapid-fire (Sumo Headbutt) and hard to avoid (the downwards-striking Butt-Stomp), they were really, really annoying. He was big and fat, but annoyingly quick on his feet, to say nothing of getting caught by his Hundred Hand-Slap (which would pin you into a corner and chip of Special-Damage on blockers). His entire mission statement is beautifully simple in a way: he wants to prove that his own style is the best. A very true-to-life mentality, I suppose, even if it's kind of hampered by the fact that he's invented a ton of moves that would be illegal in sumo competition, and acts like a hot-blooded braggart, which is also extremely frowned-upon.

-I've read up quite a bit on sumo, its history, and their modern issues, a lot of this culture is fascinating to me: Japan is a very "we are the best" society, much like, say, America is... so people are QUITE put out that most of the best sumo these days are foreign-born, as sumo are supposed to respresent the apex of manliness and Japanese culture. Sumo are extremely heavy people (thanks to a high-fat diet that involves a lot of fish-fat and other bulk-boosters), but possess great athleticism and flexibility for their size (try doing the "lift your leg to the side until it's above your head" pose some day), and their fat is distinct from that of truly obese people, who have altered skeletons and walking movements to make up for their added bulk, and find it harder to lose- Sumo gain gain and lose weight quickly, and are not nearly as bad off physically.

-Honda's appearance is distinct enough to make him stand out from the rare "Sumo" characters in Fighting Games (it's actually one of the least-seen fighting styles- Virtua Fighter keeps taking theirs out of the games, because his huge size strains their graphical engines), since they add kabuki facepaint and his colorful clothing (his mawashi) to break up what would just be "Fat Guy With Top-Knot". He isn't one of the more popular SF characters, though- he was basically thrown into the Alpha series at the last second.

-E. Honda had a much larger role in the movies than most of the "filler" characters with weaker backstories (ie. they didn't hate Bison or anyone else particularly much), largely to be a jovial comic sidekick to the more stoic Ryu for most of the film, and showed some battlefield skill, though it looked like Dhalsim had him on the ropes in their match. He ate some punches from Balrog and managed to fall off a mountain without dying (hence 2 ranks of Luck), and had his house way out in the mountains blown up, the poor guy.

-E. Honda fights a powerhouse style like Balrog does, and is similarly VERY fast for his size, blasting out of range with quick attacks. He has a Distracting Multiattack with the fabled "Hundred Hand-Slap", since he has to basically stand there immobile while doing it (leaving him more open to attack- making him Vulnerable and taking away his Defensive Roll). His Defenses are a little lower than his full potential for PL 10 as well.

-Fighting Style: E. Honda often goes All-Out with his attacks, or uses Power Attack to do more damage. He can be tricky to hit sometimes, but leaves himself open when using his Hundred-Hand Slap or when blocked off of his Flying Moves. He uses a lot of grappling and throws, betraying his Sumo training.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

danelsan wrote:Despite my undying love for KoF, I freely admit that in terms of objective and semi-objective qualities, Mortal Kombat X (and now XL) is most likely the best of the current wave of fighting games.

Looks amazing, has a ton of playing modes, including an actual story mode, has a large roster (plus every character has 3 variations, changing their look and moves a bit, on top of the various different outfits), it is decently balanced as far as I can tell, has its unique identity in the tremendous violence and gore, there are fun interactions you can make with the fighting stage (including the hilarious Stage Brutality of the little old lady) and so on.

Really, my only real problem with it is that I never got used to its style of special moves, with the forwards and backs instead of good ol' quarter and half circles XD
One thing I dig about Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter is the over-arching plot. Especially in the later MK games, which go out of their way to make EVERY character seem important. There's no "I'm fighting to fund my restaurant!" or any of that. I remember hearing about friggin' RAIN getting a great build-up and a "New Villain Stink" good showing.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

L-Space wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:THREAD RETROSPECTIVES:

Oh man, looking at some of my old posts/comments is kind of rough as I come off super annoying at times :lol:. Requesting builds out of nowhere, not using capitalization, and posting a lot of generic 'oh my god! great builds!' type comments.

Hah, I actually don't remember so much of that. I was actually stunned to see you in there so early. If I'd remembered you, that might not have been a good thing- most of the posts I "remember" from the earlier days are ones that annoyed me in some way :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

ZANGIEF (aka The Red Cyclone)
Created By:
Akira Yasuda
Game Appearances: Street Fighter II- All Games, Street Fighter Alpha 2-3, Street Fighter IV- All Games, Street Fighter V, Street Fighter VI, X-Men & Marvel (vs) Street Fighter, Marvel (vs) Capcom 1-2, Capcom (vs) SNK 1-2, Street Fighter X Tekken, Street Fighter EX 1-3, Capcom Fighting Evolution, Street Fighter: The Movie
Home Country: Mother Russia
Role: The Powerhouse, The Pro Wrestler, Patriotic Guy, Husky Russkie
Vague Martial Art Basis: Professional Wrestling (some Sambo thrown in)
PL 9 (123)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 5 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Russia) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 12 (+11)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Benefit (Russian National Hero), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Favoured Foe (BEARS!), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Spinning Piledriver) 4, Improved Critical (Spinning Clothesline) 2, Improved Grab, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage for 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Power Strike" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Super Jumps" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"The Russian Bear"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Cold) [1]
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]

"Special Moves"
"Banishing Flat" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) Linked to Enhanced Dodge 3 (4) -- [6]
  • AE: "Double Lariat" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) & Enhanced Advantages: Takedown (total 2) (2)
  • AE: "Spinning Piledriver" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: +2 to Opponents Who Parried Last Round) (Inaccurate -2, Reduced Parry 1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Lariat/Banishing Flat +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spinning Piledriver +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+12 Banishing Flat, DC 19-22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Russian Pride)- Zangief is a proud Russian Bear, and he is devoted to proving Russia is great on an international level. This involves beating the $#!& out of people.
Prejudice (Pretty Things)- Zangief hates beautiful things, especially women, which provides some interesting and highly disturbing questions.
Weakness (Predictability)- Zangief, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 20 + 13 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 19 (123)

-Comrade Zangief here wrote the freaking BOOK on how to be a Powerhouse Guy in a fighting game- he was so dominantly powerful that he embodied the whole Mighty Glacier concept. As such, guys can poke away at him with ease, and he's highly vulnerable to Ranged Attacks because he's so big and slow, but when he DID connect, you were screwed. Unfortunately at high levels of play, Zangief can be hampered overly-much by the elite tactics faster guys can use- he was probably the worst character in Super SFII Turbo, though like most, he was still competitive against the computer, so unless you did Fighting Tourneys you were probably good. But he had the coolest-looking special moves in the game- his monstrous Lariat and Spinning Piledriver were amazing, and the Siberian Bear Crusher in the Super games was also bad-ass. The only problem was, I didn't know a single person who could actually DO some of his elite moves- those 360-degree revolutions on the control pad were basically impossible to pull off and not get countered badly.

-Zangief got a pretty sad job in the movie; all his best shots were taken with almost NO damage by Blanka (including the Piledriver!), and then he got bit and shocked. Physically, he shows some distinctive qualities that separate him from many other "Pro Wrestler" Fighting Game characters (puroresu is off and on quite the big deal in Japan, with guys like Giant Baba & Antonio Inoki being considered legitimate national heroes in their day; however, failure to create popular new stars has hampered them frequently, as it has in the west)- he's got the same old undies most pro wrestlers wear... but the designers gave him extreme body hair (including tufts on his KNEES), a big beard, a mohawk, and numerous horrendous scars (said to come from his habit of wrestling bears as part of his training!). His name is a nod to Victor Zangiev, a Russian amateur wrestler who briefly went pro in late '80s New Japan Pro Wrestling, along with several others (Inoki, the major name at NJPW, was a giant "Martial Arts Nerd", who was also a huge charlatan who would "defeat" various legitimate martial artists in worked contests and proclaim himself the legitimate best fighter in the world). Though Zangiev was missing some hair on his head, and packing tons of it on his body, Zangief's frame is closer to Zangiev's partner, Salman Hashimikov.

-Zangief, like Blanka, has turned into quite the cartoon in the SF franchise, often being portrayed as an idiot and a buffoon (Japan seems to enjoy putting the boots to Russia and its stereotypes, perhaps owing to leftover bragging from the Russo-Japanese War of the Pre-WWI era). Turning from a semi-villainous looking figure (with an evil laugh), he's since shifted into a goof who makes weird faces, does that goofy dance with Mikhail Gorbachev in his Special Ending, and professes to a dislike for "pretty girls", making all SORTS of conclusions possible.

-Zangief is a classic Powerhouse, reduced to a human-sized scale for the Street Fighter universe. Tons of raw power, some fair accuracy (except for his big moves, the most notoriously difficult in fighting games) considering he fights guys with +13-15 to Parry almost all the time, and strong defense to make him a tough guy to beat. He utilizes three major Specials- the Banishing Flat, a move intro'd in Super SFII Turbo to make him better against Fireballers (he can get Enhanced Dodge using it- his Dodge is a paltry +9 otherwise), a Double Lariat (same damage as a Flat, but includes Takedown to hit multiple guys, and has Improved Critical on top of it), and the Spinning Piledriver (effectively the same as a Siberian Bear Crusher in stats, I figure), a HUGE damaging attack that works like a grapple in the SF games- its easier to hit when the opponent is blocking. The Piledriver was the most damaging move in the game until T.Hawk debuted his "Storm Hammer". The accuracy is bunk, but even a +8 to hit can occasionally tag one of the heroes.

-Zangief does more damage than almost any other fighter (especially in the early days, where the next closest was Sagat), and has a remarkable +6 Toughness when he's paying attention to his opponent. Even at PL 9, he's quite vicious because of this- the slight advantage the game offers more powerful people boosts him near the capability of a full PL 10 character. The Red Cyclone is more than a match for Chun-Li, Guile or Ryu.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Skills

Post by Mike Skills »

Hi, I'm Mike. I like MMA and Skyrim.

I've been following Jab's builds since around 2010-2011ish. I'd joined a group of tabletop gamers at my local hobby shop, and one of the players mentioned starting a M&M game. I was pretty stoked to play a superhero, but didn't know a thing about the system--and though he had a great idea for a setting, neither did the would-be GM. After learning the rules, I was looking online for some example characters. I stumbled across the ATT and specifically Jab's thread entirely by accident.

I immediately thought I'd hit the motherlode. Not only were there plenty of builds from which to learn the system's foibles, I figured this repository of characters would be useful to the GM as examples and templates. I thought I sent him the link to the thread on another forum we frequented, but somehow screwed it up, and he never got the PM. A few days later, he told us that he wouldn't be able to GM after all due to time constraints; he found building characters with M&M to be too time consuming. If only he'd gotten the PM!

Nontheless, despite never playing M&M, ever, I continued to lurk the thread. I know there were other build threads on ATT, and I checked them out, I only ever frequented Jab's. His running commentary on characters both obscure and renown, plus the SHEER NUMBER of builds (X-men! Dinosaurs! Oz! Animal Kingdom! Justice League!) was both entertaining and informative. I continued to keep up with the thread when it moved to RA, lurking the entire time, never feeling the need to make a forum account.

I saw what happened with the moderator fiasco at RA. Sucks that things turned out that way, but I was glad to find out the thread would continue. So here I am, still following Jab's builds. Seeing how it's a new beginning of sorts, I decided to at the very least register just to say thanks. Thanks, Jab, for all the time you put in creating these builds, the frequency with which you post them, and your commentary (and Ares, and Hosenhero, and all the others I've read throughout the years--your discussions are as much fun to read as the builds themselves). You're doing God's work.

I'm going to go back to lurking now.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Mike Skills wrote:Hi, I'm Mike. I like MMA and Skyrim.

I've been following Jab's builds since around 2010-2011ish. I'd joined a group of tabletop gamers at my local hobby shop, and one of the players mentioned starting a M&M game. I was pretty stoked to play a superhero, but didn't know a thing about the system--and though he had a great idea for a setting, neither did the would-be GM. After learning the rules, I was looking online for some example characters. I stumbled across the ATT and specifically Jab's thread entirely by accident.

I immediately thought I'd hit the motherlode. Not only were there plenty of builds from which to learn the system's foibles, I figured this repository of characters would be useful to the GM as examples and templates. I thought I sent him the link to the thread on another forum we frequented, but somehow screwed it up, and he never got the PM. A few days later, he told us that he wouldn't be able to GM after all due to time constraints; he found building characters with M&M to be too time consuming. If only he'd gotten the PM!

Nontheless, despite never playing M&M, ever, I continued to lurk the thread. I know there were other build threads on ATT, and I checked them out, I only ever frequented Jab's. His running commentary on characters both obscure and renown, plus the SHEER NUMBER of builds (X-men! Dinosaurs! Oz! Animal Kingdom! Justice League!) was both entertaining and informative. I continued to keep up with the thread when it moved to RA, lurking the entire time, never feeling the need to make a forum account.

I saw what happened with the moderator fiasco at RA. Sucks that things turned out that way, but I was glad to find out the thread would continue. So here I am, still following Jab's builds. Seeing how it's a new beginning of sorts, I decided to at the very least register just to say thanks. Thanks, Jab, for all the time you put in creating these builds, the frequency with which you post them, and your commentary (and Ares, and Hosenhero, and all the others I've read throughout the years--your discussions are as much fun to read as the builds themselves). You're doing God's work.

I'm going to go back to lurking now.
Wow, thanks a lot! Stuff like this is great to here, and helps make it all worthwhile!

So you'd tried to send a message to your GM, and he never got the thread? That's too bad! Do you still game?

I think I VAGUELY recall getting a PM about joining some people in a game, many moons ago. If I recall correctly, someone posted me a link to a forum, was like "Just ask to be added, and I'll add you" after I was like "yeah sure, why not?", and I clicked on it once... but then kinda just forgot about it after not following up on reading things. After a point, I was too embarrassed to just PM the guy back and go "Sorry! I can't really game online!" My issue at the time was having a job with no internet access. These days, I have a Smartphone... but I still can't respond constantly while at work. It's real murder on a "Play-By-Post" game, let me tell you.
Jabroniville

Chun-Li

Post by Jabroniville »

Chun-Li thinks that skipping "Leg Day" is for little bitches.

CHUN-LI
Created By:
Akira Yasuda
Game Appearances: All, Street Fighter II- All Games, Street Fighter Alpha 1-3, Street Fighter III- Third Strike, Street Fighter IV- All Games, Street Fighter V, Street Fighter VI, Street Fighter EX 1-3, Street Fighter: The Movie, , X-Men & Marvel (vs) Street Fighter, Marvel (vs) Capcom 1-3, SNK (vs) Capcom 1-2 & Chaos, Capcom Fighting All-Stars, Capcom Fighting Evolution, Tatsunoko (vs) Capcom, Namco X Capcom, Street Fighter X Tekken
Home Country: China
Role: The Smurfette (pre-Super SF II), Qui-Pao-Wearing Chinese Girl (the Trope Definer), Fragile Speedster, Government Agent
Vague Martial Art Basis: Wing Chun
PL 10 (188)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+16)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 9 (+17)
Deception 2 (+6, +11 Attractive)
Expertise (Interpol Agent) 7 (+10)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+9)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 1 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+9)
Perception 6 (+10)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +11 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Fireballs) 4 (+12)
Vehicles 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Assessment, Attractive 2, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Interpol Agent), Contacts, Daze (Agile Feint), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Fascinate (Persuasion), Fearless, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Fireball), Improved Critical (Spinning Bird Kick) 2, Improved Critical (Lightning Leg) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Inspire, Languages (Various- Chinese, Japanese, English), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 5, Seize Initiative, Takedown (total 2), Teamwork, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Power Strikes" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Vaulting Jumps" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Special Moves"
"Spinning Bird Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (Flaws: Distracting 5) (Inaccurate -1) Linked to Affliction 5 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (10) -- [13]
  • AE: "Kikkoken Fireball" Blast 4 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 2) (Diminished Range -2) Linked to Affliction 5 (Fighting; Vulnerable/Defenseless) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (7)
  • AE: "Lightning Leg" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Distracting 3) (1.5)
  • AE: "Hazanshu- Axe Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Hazanshu +15 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Spinning Bird Kick +15 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Kikkoken +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +16 (DC 26), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications:
Motivation (Justice/Orphans)- Chun-Li is an Interpol Agent in the SF II series, and the runner of an Orphanage in the SF III series. She is devoted to either stamping out injustice (especially Shadowloo's), or protecting her children (especially when Urien kidnaps one). These will be accomplished by beating the $#!& out of people.
Enemy (Bison)- Chun-Li's father was killed while on-assigment against Bison (it might have been a Tuesday). His memory drives Chun-Li in her quest for revenge.
Weakness (Predictability)- Chun-Li, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 35 + 12 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 24 (188)

-"Chun-Li's a BABE"- my best friend's older brother, as he played against her, during my first induction to Street Fighter as a game. And yeah, she kinda was. Very little Fanservice back in those days (it took games a while to get up to 1900s comic book standards), so she stood out as the only girl in a pretty big Sausage Factory. She was a big hit, and she's easily the most iconic female in the entire series. Her greatness extends to other media, in which she's usually the primary heroine, and third or fourth in line behind the Ryu/Ken/Guile triad in terms of overall plot importance for the good guys (she was even the star of her very own film... a piece of famously-bad garbage that put the axe in the career of Kristin Kreuk). Plus, the main art director of the series has a huge fetish for Monstro-Thighs, and brings up his personal fetish at every opportunity with her (HOW ANNOYING WOULD THAT BE- RIGHT GUYS?). She was always pretty toned, but later games... Gee Jolly Jeepers!! Them's some serious gams.

-Chun-Li is the primary heroine, and rather defined by her feud with Bison (who killed her father- it was the most important moment of her life, you know). Sometimes she's just a standard Interpol Investigator, though, and she presumably fights regular drug dealers and whatnot as well. She often gets paired up with Ryu in the supporting materials, owing to their status as #1 Dude & #1 Lady in the franchise, but this is pretty much never touched on in the game (and we all know to whom Ryu's heart REALLY belongs...). Chun-Li was one of the four major protagonists of the movie, and as such, ate up a ton of screen time, though she only ever got to be in one fight. But WHAT a fight, though....

-Much like Cammy & Vega, she's a Dexmonkey with varying hit-power, capable of boosting her damage or hitting with even greater accuracy than normal, which makes her a dangerous melee fighter. Her initial variety of moves was a simple Multiattack (the famous "Lightning Leg") and her "Spinning Bird Kick", which functioned like a Hurricane Kick. However, one of the SFII updates suddenly added a Fireball! Her "Kikkoken" has changed repeatedly over the years, going from a pair of blue "Yoga Fire"-lookin' things to a slow-moving ball, to a faster-moving thing, and back again. It's the worst projectile in the game in terms of actually hitting a guy, which would make it worthless... except that it's primary focus is ZONING- its slow movement properties and relatively large size make fighters have to dodge carefully to avoid it... and since Chun-Li is one of the fastest characters in the game, this often puts them right where she wants them. In short, it's a low-rent Blast that actually hits you with an AFFLICTION, rendering you vulnerable to her follow-up attacks!

-But yeah, she's easily the most expensive character so far, being almost 30 points more expensive than Ryu. But when you think about it, that's perfect- Ryu is JUST a fighter, and goes around the world beating the snot out of people for his enlightenment. But Chun-Li is a fighter as well, in addition to being a government agent, investigator, charismatic super-babe, etc. She fits PL 10 status just like the elites in my opinion- she's so good that she appears in EVERY game as a competitive character, and I believe I've heard a statement that she is the "official" winner of the "Street Fighter II" tournament.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:48 am, edited 11 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HAHAHAHAHAHA... okay Capcom, I get it. I like thighs as much as the next guy. But SERIOUSLY, this is way over the top to the point of silliness. Everyone knows that there's no way thighs this big are humanly possib---

http://thechive.com/2016/04/06/natascha ... 16-photos/

Yes, there is a Fitness Model out there who has been discovered to be a PERFECT "Cosplay Model" for Chun-Li. And, ludicrous as it might seem, she proves that those insane thighs are actually possible for a human being to achieve.

Also, another Chun-Li cosplayer.

ImageA Chun-Li gif. Just because.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 am, edited 9 times in total.
Jabroniville

Balrog

Post by Jabroniville »

BALROG (aka Mike Bison)
Created By:
Akira Yasuda
Game Appearances: Street Figher II- All Games, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter IV- All Games, Street Fighter V, Street Fighter: The Movie, Capcom (vs) SNK 1-2 & Chaos, Street Fighter X Tekken
Home Country: The United States (specifically- Las Vegas, Nevada)
Role: Dumb Mook, The Fallen Athlete, Over-Specialized Guy (only uses Punches)
Vague Martial Art Basis: Boxing
PL 9 (114)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+13)
Deception 5 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 7 (+6)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 3 (+2)
Intimidation 10 (+9)
Perception 2 (+1)

Advantages:
Benefit (Shadowloo Enforcer), Benefit (Uses Close Combat Instead of Deception to Feint in Combat), Daze (Intimidation), Improved Critical (Dashing Punches) 3, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 3, Seize Initiative, Startle, Taunt

Powers:
"Boxing Punches" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Special Moves"
"Turn Punch" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit If he Successfully Feinted Last Turn) (Inccurate -1) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Dash Upper/Dash Straight" Strength-Damage +2 (Inccurate -1) & Speed 1 (4 mph) (Flaws: Limited to Short Bursts) (1.5)
  • AE: "Buffalo Head" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit If The Opponent Jumped Last Turn) (Inccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Dashing Punches +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Balrog likes to have money, and he seeks more of it. This will be accomplished by beating the $#!& out of people.
Weakness (Over-Specialized)- Balrog, as a boxer, is not trained in kicks, and cannot throw them effectively. If his hands are bound, he will be highly limited in his attacks.
Weakness (Predictability)- Balrog, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 + 12 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 19 (114)

-Balrog (an obvious parody of Mike Tyson right down to his name in Japan- which is what caused the big "Boss Name Switch"- this becomes more obvious in his early artwork, where he's a dead-ringer for the Baddest Man On The Planet) is sort of an unsung character in SF history. Kind of forgotten because he's not as cheesy as some others, and he's certainly the lowest-ranking of the Four Kings of Shadaloo, he's actually quite lethal in the right hands. He's got insane reach, goes FLYING across the screen at high speeds, and he does a lot of damage. He gets portrayed as Bison's "Key Goon" in all SF media, since Sagat & Vega aren't exactly "yes men", and he's pretty famously ugly and stupid, as well as there being about zero character depth to him. He's still easily the most famous boxer character in Fighting Game history, especially because SNK seems to royally suck at inventing cool, iconic ones (Vanessa in the later KoF games is the closest)- early guys in Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury were embarassingly Balrog knock-offs.

-Balrog is usually just Bison's moronic head goon, and he's the first of the Four Bosses you face in the original Street Fighter II game- he's immediately rendered distinct (despite a pretty plain appearance, consisting of boxing gloves, boots, shorts and a tight shirt with no sleeves) by the fact that he uses no kicks. His "Kick" attacks are all simply different kinds of punches. This speciation makes him really stand out. And despite being a very simple fighter (a lot of "charge" attacks, and nothing fancy), he's dangerous with the right player- he can come blasting out of nowhere, and can trick you with the slightly different speeds of his various "Dash Moves" (you never know which one is coming, which can mess up the "Framerate-Watching" pros).

-Balrog's look may be pretty plain, but HOLY CRAP his Street Fighter V update looks bitchin'- that gigantic "Pro Fighter Jacket" thing is amazing, and gives him a whole different "Prize Fighter" vibe. And interestingly, his backstory differs based off of which country you're playing the game. In Japan, he was barred from boxing for killing an opponent in the ring, whereas in the West, he was barred for using illegal attacks repeatedly- apparently, killing an opponent is a shameful, career-ruining thing in Japan. However, in the West, this is considered more of a hazard of the sport and not particularly shameful for the killer (pro boxer Max Baer killed Frank Campbell in a 1930 bout, and it only ENHANCED his reputation as a fighter, though it personally grieved him terribly, and he lost most of his next few fights as a result). It's also notable that more Asian boxers tend to die in the ring than in the West these days, where boxing referees are more likely to end a fight early, and coaches are more likely to throw in the towel. In Asia, "Fight Till You Drop" is much more common, which tends to produce shorter careers, as the boxers' bodies give out due to excessive punishment in endless fights. It's actually happened more than once that a boxer has killed his opponent because the local judges WOULD NOT judge the fight in their favor, despite overwhelming odds- this was to give the local boy "one last chance" at making a knock-out. The extended punishment proved fatal. This actually got Indonesia banned from the World Boxing Council for a while, after numerous ring-related deaths.

-Balrog's role in the movie was pretty minimal; he hung out in Las Vegas as Bison's go-between to the lesser bosses, had an intimidate-off with Zangief before the Zangief/Blanka fight, and then fought E.Honda. He actually beat on him pretty good (with regular boxing-style punches), before the two tumbled off the cliff in one of the movie's funnier moments ("Ohhhhhh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!") He took the worst of it, being carried up by Honda by the end of the fight. Most Balrog appearances in the supporting fiction are like this- he's the only Shadaloo Boss whom the writers are unafraid to job out, and so he takes a lot of beatings from other characters.

-Balrog comes up WAY under-priced compared to other Street Fighter characters, but he's just as devastating in combat as many of them, a solid PL 9. His two "Dash" punches are basically the same thing in M&M terms- a Speed-assisted damage boost to his punches. His Buffalo Head is a diagonal Anti-Air short hop, and his Turn Punch is kind of a "bluff" where you hold some buttons down for a bit, let go, and he spins around before lashing out with a surprise shot- I made it a Feint-boosted move (and he has a Benefit similar to "Cunning Fighter" from one of the 2e add-ons- he can Feint using his fighting skill, not Deception).

-Fighting Style: Balrog is a dasher- he comes flying out of nowhere with a huge array of vicious punches, but most of his moves look the same. He stings like a bee, but hardly floats like a butterfly to do it. Balrog is all-or-nothing. Either his big punches hit and he KO's his opponent, or he misses and goes all the way across the screen, where he is vulnerable. He's weak against ranged attacks, even moreso than most melee fighters- he's too big and slow to avoid things easily, and his punches often send him right INTO Fireballs. Balrog has higher Initiative than most World Warriors (he's fast for a big guy), but he's far more limited elsewhere, especially mentally.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

It's kind of funny, I've never learned how to box and I don't watch boxing matches on TV, but I've always loved boxing characters. Steve Fox from Tekken, Takeda from the Kenichi manga/anime, Little Mac in Smash Bros. etc. Now Balrog is far from my favorite SF character, but there's a strange joy in dashing across the map and putting a world of hurt on annoying characters!
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Vega

Post by Jabroniville »

VEGA (aka Balrog, "Claw")
Created By:
Akira Yasuda
Game Appearances: Street Fighter II- All Games, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter IV- All Games, Street Fighter V, Street Fighter EX 2-3, Street Fighter: The Movie, Capcom (vs) SNK 1-2 & Chaos, Street Fighter X Tekken
Home Country: Spain
Role: The Pretty Boy, The Destroyer of Ugly, Weapon-User
Vague Martial Art Basis: Ninjitsu & Bullfighting
PL 10 (169)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 10 (+17)
Athletics 11 (+14)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+14)
Close Combat (Claw) 6 (+16)
Deception 2 (+5, +10 Attractive)
Expertise (Assassin) 8 (+9)
Expertise (Bullfighter) 8 (+9)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+7)
Stealth 6 (+13)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Attractive 2, Benefit (Shadowloo Assassin), Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Equipment (Claw), Evasion 2, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Claw) 2, Improved Critical (Claw Dives) 2, Improved Initiative 2, Instant Up, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Seize Initiative, Startle, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Features (Adds Strength-Damage to Claw Dives) [1]

"Claw Roll" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 4) (Flaws: Distracting 4) (Inaccurate -1) Linked to Affliction 6 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (8) -- [12]
  • AE: "Sky High Claw- Leaping Claw Stab" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Barcelona Attack- Leaping Claw Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Agile Feint Worked Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Izuna Drop- Leaping into a German Suplex" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Opponent Parried Last Turn) (Reduced Parry 1, Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Scarlet Terror- Backflip Kick" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Opponent Jumped Last Turn) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Claw +16 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Unarmed Dives +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claw Dives +14 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +15

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +16 (DC 26), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Obsession (Beauty)- Vega has been obsessed with beauty since he was a child. He loves killing ugly things, and will readily denigrate and murder a hideous opponent. This will be accomplished by beating the $#!& out of people. By contrast, he loves beauty, and will often become overly-sympathetic to enemies who are attractive.
Power Loss (Claw)- Vega's Claw can snap off if he blocks too much, and he'll have to go run and pick it up.
Weakness (Predictability)- Vega, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 64--32 / Advantages: 24 + 11 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 20 (169)

-Vega was probably my favorite Street Fighter character in the early days- his bad-ass mask and freakin' WOLVERINE CLAW made him the most bad-ass looking to Young Jab, and one of the only times I actually played the Arcade machine, I used him... and got curbstomped immediately. Those games were NOT newbie-friendly, let me tell you... Vega was the #3 Boss at Shadaloo (behind only Sagat & Bison), and you met him in Spain, via a great dynamic- a large clashing cage in a high-action theatre with dancing girls and fawning patrons. And then Vega, whose style was based entirely around his rapid leaping, would start climbing the cage in order to get a better vantage point for his dives! The whole package was just insanely distinct- a high-speed, acrobatic, claw-based fighter whose moves were incredibly unpredictable and savage.

-Better still, Capcom added little touches like having his CLAW break off if he blocked one too many times! Then they added some more twists to him, as his character was revealed to be that of a "card-carrying psychopath" (as Chun-Li puts it in the Animated Movie), an obsessive murderer who hates ugly people and constantly hunts them down to murder them. Further games elaborate upon this until it becomes a full-blown mania, with him often voluntarily sparing his targets so long as they're pretty (annoying for Bison, as one of his biggest targets is Chun-Li). Controversially, Capcom turned him from a "Charge Character" into a "Motion-Based Character" in Street Fighter V, completely altering the way he fights!

-Vega and Chun-Li had what is no doubt the single-best fight scene in the entire movie, thanks in no part to the massive bloodshed, the flying maneuvers, the screaming, and the skimpy outfit of the heroine. Between that appearance and his in-game moves, Vega becomes obvious as a pretty strong and tough guy who nonetheless specializes in near-impossible acts of dexterity, flying around and slashing people while staying easily out of harm's way. This Advantage set-up, as well as his moves and high Attack/Defense Bonuses, make him one of the priciest characters, but seeing as how he was once a boss character, and he's one of the most-capable Street Fighters in an "outside the arena" setting (all his skills, and his job as a hired killer) it's fitting. Vega's the most defensive character in the Street Fighter series (he can Backflip out of range quickly, and his special moves are too fast to hit him out of most of the time).

-Fighting Style: Vega is fast. Very, very fast. Outside of Cammy, no other character can touch him. He fights using long-range "poke" attacks to wear down his foes, and he excels and leaping out of attack position and flying back with a Claw Dive or Barcelona Attack. His moves are extremely varied, as three of them have roughly the same "start animation", so you never know what's coming at you until he leaps off (and even THEN, the Punch or Kick button pressed can alter the range). I differentiated these by making the Sky High Claw a standard extra-damage shot, the Barcelona Attack one that increases if you use Agile Feint successfully last turn, and the Izuna Drop one that increases if the other guy Parried last turn (like most grappling attacks). And man, that Izuna Drop is one PERFECT German Suplex- he even hits the full bridge!

-Losing his Claw hampers Vega tremendously- his reach and damage go down, hurting both his accuracy and his damage requirements- so he makes the most of it, and tries to dodge rather than block. His other flaws include fragility, and a tendency to over-use All-Out or Power Attack (his flying techniques often go wide, leaving him open).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Bison

Post by Jabroniville »

M. BISON (aka Vega, "Dictator")
Created By:
Akira Yasuda
Game Appearances: Street Fighter II- All Games, Street Fighter Alpha 1-3, Street Fighter IV- All Games, Street Fighter V, Street Fighter: The Movie, X-Men & Marvel (vs) Street Fighter, Marvel (vs0 Capcom 2, Capcom (vs) SNK 1-2 & Chaos, Namco X Capcom, Street Fighter X Tekken
Home Country: None, Really (located in Thailand)
Role: The Big Bad, Cheese Machine (in the fluff)
Vague Martial Art Basis: Psycho Power
PL 11 (191)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+17)
Deception 8 (+10)
Expertise (Criminal Mastermind) 9 (+14)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 3 (+8)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 10 (+12)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 4 (Lord of Shadowloo), Benefit (Uses Attack to Feint), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Evasion, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Psycho Crusher) 3, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage for 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown (total 2)

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Psycho Crusher" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Secondary Effect 4) (Inaccurate -1) (6) -- [9]
  • AE: "Bison Warp" Teleport 1 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity) (4)
  • AE: "Head Press & Devil Reverse" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if He Successfully Feints Last Round) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Scissor Kick/Stomp" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Psycho Crusher +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Special Moves +15 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +16 (DC 26), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +11

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Bison seeks ultimate power, using his Psycho Power and Shadowloo to control the entire world. His plan involves beating the $#!% out of people.
Obsession (Martial Artists)- Bison believes that strong fighters are the key to success. He will willingly put himself out into the open to get at people like Ryu.
Responsibility (Chaotic Evil)- Bison has no morals whatsoever, and in fact actively enjoys watching people suffer. He doesn't truly like anybody, and wants to rule through force.
Enemy (Guile, Chun-Li, Cammy)- Bison has slain people close to the first two, and ruined Cammy's life as well. All three hunt him.
Weakness (Predictability)- Bison, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done. For these purposes, the Scissor Kick & Stomp are two separate manuevers.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 29 + 14 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 25 (191)

-Bison's the final boss of... well pretty much every game in the series but SF III, being a mad dictator with a criminal empire designed to rule the world. Like many, MANY Street Fighter characters, he's based visually off of a shonen manga character- this time he's related to "Brocken Jr.", a good guy who dresses like a NAZI (seriously) from Kinnikuman (known here as MUSCLE). Between that and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I think you get half the combined roster of the Street Fighter games. Brocken also inspired the Brocken from World Heroes, as well as Heidern & Leona (kinda) from King of Fighters- the obscurity of the original sources over here had led to most of these guys being disregarded as "Bison Clones" in the West, though this is still a pretty apt insult when you consider that 99% of them were added to their games SPECIFICALLY due to the popularity of Bison.

-Known as Vega in Japan (the names were switched due to the "Mike Bison" situation, but they had to switch names rather than just invent new ones due to lacking the coding capability to actually use new "Character Name" bars; hence Vega became "M. Bison" and Balrog became "Vega", while Mike Bison himself became "Balrog"), he's a pretty good villain, though a bit on the "Flat" side: He just wants power, and there's not a whole lot to his character otherwise- for a Fighting Game that's OK, but if he was a comic book character, he'd never last. His moves were pretty cool, though, and the Psycho Crusher is probably the single coolest visual "regular" Special Move in all of fighting games. The dude just straight-up lights himself on blue fire and throws himself at the other guy. That is AWESOME.

-Bison... generally always does the same old thing in his games. Really, he's always trying to build his "Psycho Drive" (which will give him ultimate power), or find a new body to place his mind into, to thus ensure immortality. Generally, he wants either Ryu's body, or one of his "Dolls" (does this make Bison genderfluid?), such as Cammy. Problematically, Bison's story arc is never more complex than his one story (most long-running villains at least get a NEW "Take Over The World" scheme once in a while), but the innate popularity of the character means that Bison will be trotted out, time and time again, even after he's been killed (such as in Street Fighter II, where canonically he is murdered by Akuma before the start of the final battle). This befalls a lot of Fighting Game characters (such as Mortal Kombat's, where you'd think the existence of FATALITIES would limit the returning kast members), because Fighters rely almost entirely on the popularity of recurring names. The only time Capcom tried to leave the "Core Fighters", they had the disastrous Street Fighter III, which fans resisted in part because there was ONLY Ken & Ryu (and they were only there due to backlash against having NO returning characters!). So basically, if you have a Street Fighter game... you gotta include Bison. He pops up in the fourth AND the fifth games, always having be resurrected or something, though now he's ended up with white hair.

-His physical appearance has changed greatly over the years. Initially, he just looked like a normal-sized guy in a big red dictator's costume. He had regular eyes and a normal face and everything. But around Super SF II, he started getting a more angular, lantern-jawed face in the "Vs. Screen" art, complete with glowing-energy eyes. Then the Animated Movie came out, giving us a REALLY bulky, muscular guy who now appeared quite squat. Street Fighter Alpha would come out, and give us an identical look for the villain- Bison was now a human tank. It does help to make him more intimidating, at least.

-Fighting Style: In the games, Bison was quite lethal, but rarely Top Tier, and even his boss version wasn't THAT scary. Of course, I compare this to *SNK*, who were somewhat notorious for making their Bosses nigh-impossible (it's the Trope Namer for TV Tropes' "SNK Boss Syndrome" for a reason). Still, he's a lethal PL 11, matching Chun-Li's accuracy, and combining it with Balrog's hitting power to make for a scary physical threat. Beware his Benefit, which allows him to use his +17 Attack Bonus for Feinting (his classic Devil Reverse & Head Stomp both look identical on start-up, and can hit you or be defended in different ways, making him hard to guess). He also uses lots of Accurate & Power Attack. And the Psycho Crusher is horrifying, doing +8 damage at its base.

M. BISON (aka Vega, "Dictator")- Movie/Fluff Version
Created By:
Akira Yasuda
Home Country: None, Really (located in Thailand)
Role: The Big Bad, Cheese Machine (in the fluff)
Vague Martial Art Basis: Psycho Power
PL 13 (240)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+17)
Deception 8 (+10)
Expertise (Criminal Mastermind) 9 (+14)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 3 (+8)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 10 (+12)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 4 (Lord of Shadowloo), Benefit (Uses Attack to Feint), Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Evasion, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Psycho Crusher) 3, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-All-Trades, Last Stand, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 8, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown (total 2)

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

"Cheeseball Redirection" Deflect 14 (Extras: Reflection) (28) -- [36]
  • AE: "Psycho Lift" Move Object 8 (Extras: Perception Range) (24)
  • AE: "Psycho Blast" Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Psycho Crusher" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Secondary Effect 4) (Inaccurate -1) (6)
  • AE: "Bison Warp" Teleport 3 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity) (8)
  • AE: "Head Press & Devil Reverse" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if He Successfully Feints Last Round) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Scissor Kick/Stomp" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Psycho Power" Affliction 8 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Evil & Subserviant) (Extras: Cumulative, Perception Range +2) (Flaws: Limited to When Using Machines) (24)
  • AE: "Cheeseball Aura" Energy Aura 6 (24)
"Cheeseball Teleporting" Enhanced Dodge 3 & Parry 2 [5]
Force Field 1 (Extras: Impervious 7) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Aura +17 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Psycho Crusher +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Special Moves +15 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Psycho Blast +12 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (+16 Teleporting, DC 23-26), Parry +16 (+18 Teleporting, DC 26-28), Toughness +5 (+6 Force Field, +8 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +11

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Bison seeks ultimate power, using his Psycho Power and Shadowloo to control the entire world. His plan involves beating the $#!% out of people.
Obsession (Martial Artists)- Bison believes that strong fighters are the key to success. He will willingly put himself out into the open to get at people like Ryu.
Responsibility (Chaotic Evil)- Bison has no morals whatsoever, and in fact actively enjoys watching people suffer. He doesn't truly like anybody, and wants to rule through force.
Enemy (Guile, Chun-Li, Cammy)- Bison has slain people close to the first two, and ruined Cammy's life as well. All three hunt him.
Weakness (Predictability)- Bison, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 33 + 14 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 25 (240)

-Here's the "Cheeseball" Bison that's often seen in the SF canon, particularly the Animated Movie, where he basically housed Guile & Ken on separate occasions without even lifting his arms above waist-level or moving his legs, and then handed Ryu & Ken their asses at the same time. The only way they beat him was because he decided to stop using his Psycho Power and fight them in melee, at which point he was STILL better at fighting- doing tons more damage and having way more options in combat. He can mess with people's heads (but note that he can't just walk up to someone and do it- they have to be basically comatose in a machine, so it's minor league). This Bison is a BEAST- he's PL 12 just in melee, and when he starts using Psycho Power, he whups ass at range in addition to possessing ridiculously-efficient dodging capability that brings him all the way up to a PL 13- when Guile, Ken AND Ryu can't so much as lay a scratch on you, you're one elite F-in' fighter.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Here Comes Some New Challengers!

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPER STREET FIGHTER II:
-Controversially by this point, Capcom had seen fit to release Street Fighter II in multiple variations, changing things to suit new trends (like fans artificially "speeding up" the games), change the "Tiers" so some characters were less-broken, or to add new features. This had led to the Sega Genesis & Super Nintendo each gaining two varieties of the game- a pricey option for a lot of fans, who might not want to drop insane console prices (remember that games were more expensive THEN than they are NOW- cartridges were a bitch) on a game they already owned. So you can imagine what the reaction was when, instead of Street Fighter III, fans were given ANOTHER addition, with Super being added to the title! "Capcom Sequel Stagnation" was thus furthered in fans' minds, especially as Mortal Kombat began sniffing on their heels...
-Some sound was rejiggered, some new moves were added, and some new frames of animation were there... but most significantly, Capcom added FOUR NEW CHARACTERS to the mix, creating a big, bulky 16-fighter roster! THIS seemed like more of a solid upgrade, despite the fact that only one of these characters has gone on to have any kind of popularity (hint: it's the cute, sexy girl). The other three had less thought to them- a Bruce Lee Clone, a black "Dancing Fighter" guy, and a giant Native American Stereotype. Fans seemed appreciative... but they were NOT impressed that Capcom randomly took away the "Turbo" option for enhanced speed. This was a blatant regression, especially since they added it back for ANOTHER iteration of the game!

-This, however, was MY Street Fighter. This is the one I got for the Super NES ($100! For ONE GAME!)- THIS is the one my brother and I played endlessly, often having "Same Character" tournaments using their need "8-Man Tourney" mode, just to see all of the color schemes. It's the one I finished with every character except that useless dickwipe Dhalsim. So I defend it over its detractors.

-And yes, Capcom released ANOTHER version- Super Street Fighter II Turbo. This added the "Turbo" function back (why Capcom took it away the first time his beyond me), and swiped SNK's "Super Moves", allowing every character one big move that was just an enhanced version of their regular one, but with "shadows" following them. You had a "Super Bar" you could fill up and everything! This addition never left the franchise. Neither did the ultimate creation of a NEW Boss Character- Akuma, the brother of the man who trained Ken & Ryu! A third Shotoclone character to the game, Akuma was a "Secret Character", something that had by this point been popularized by Mortal Kombat's Reptile (also a Palette Swap, sped-up version of regular characters). This final incarnation of the II engine would only be released to home consoles with the small-selling 3DO, meaning that it was out of the grasp of most people who lived where there weren't arcades (like me).

The Roster:
(Returning)
1) Ryu
2) Ken
3) Chun-Li
4) Guile 
5) Blanka
6) Zangief
7) Dhalsim
8) E. Honda
9) Sagat
10) Balrog
11) Vega
12) M. Bison

(New)
13) Cammy (cute, thong-wearing British teenager)
14) Dee Jay (happy fun Jamaican dancer/kickboxer)
15) Thunder Hawk (Native American who wants his land back... yes, really)
16) Fei Long (Bruce Lee Clone)

Secret Boss:
17) Akuma (Enhanced Shotoclone)