Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Aladdin! Jasmine! Genie! Jafar! Nightmare Before Christmas!)

Post by greycrusader »

I ran into Catherine O'Hara many years ago, at a Toronto bakery, while I was on vacation. I just told her casually how much I enjoyed her work as a comic actress. I was semi-apologetic, saying I hoped I hadn't bothered her, but she actually struck up a short conversation, very gracious, appreciative for the compliment, utterly warm and unassuming. Granted, she's a career character actress, never a big star, but still really friendly.

I suppose one could accuse her of playing into the Canadian stereotype, LOL.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Oogie Boogie

Post by Jabroniville »

OOGIE-BOOGIE
Played By:
Ken Page
Role: The Villain, Compulsive Gambler
PL 7 (93)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+7)
Expertise (Singing) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Gambling) 8 (+12)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Causing Fear & Fright)
Addiction (Gambling)
Involuntary Transformation (Pile of Bugs)- Oogie-Boogie is actually made up of bugs, and when his bag-like outer shell is unravelled, he falls to pieces.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 10 (93)

-Oogie-Boogie, despite being... well, a one-note villain, has actually gone on to become pretty well-known and frequently-seen in Disney stuff. He appears in the opening This Is Halloween song, in a catchy bit about how "I am the shadow on the MOON at night; filling your dreams to the brim with FRIGHT!"- the distinctive way in which his shadow dissipates into bats got shown frequently on all the TV trailers I saw (along with Jack's "I AM the Pumpkin King!" line near the end). But he doesn't have much effect on the plot until the end, in which he kidnaps Sandy Claws, attempts to kill him in a number of ways, and then gets offed by our heroes, all while talking and singing like an old-timey black jazz singer like Cab Calloway.

-What's funny is that he's... really just some evil guy. His distinctive "sack of potatoes" appearance, wormy mouth features, and innards made of bugs make him out to be a memorable bad guy, but he barely really DOES anything. Does he want power in Halloween Town? Not really- he just likes to roll dice and apparently kill people. But yeah, THIS GUY gets to be a big Disney Villain.
Jabroniville

The Lion King

Post by Jabroniville »

"Avenge me KIMBA-- I mean SIMBA."

THE LION KING (1994):
Written by:
Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts & Linda Woolverton

So with the Disney Renaissance still going strong, they released a risky little picture about lions that was only INSPIRED by other stories rather than basically taking the whole thing and Disney-fying it. However, it was THIS film that turned out to be the uber-smash of the decade, and was the #2 highest-grossing animated feature of all time, behind only Finding Nemo... until Disney landed the Frozen/Zootopia double-whammy a few years back. It arguably has the most enduring stamp on pop culture out of any cartoon of the past 30 years.

And this movie KICKS ASS- it's all about pain, loss, regret, and basically sucking up all the pain you have, putting away childish things, and becoming a Man (or Lion)- very biblical and awesome. It has some of the best animation out there, the music (by Elton John) is BEYOND excellent, with some of the most iconic songs EVER (and a true contender to title of Greatest Villain Song of All-Time), and some of the funniest dialogue in toon history. It avoids some of the Cookie-Cutter Pratfalls by making EVERYONE animals, so having Animal Sidekicks doesn't come across as cheesy. The voice acting is INTENSE, with James Earl Jones providing his Deep Black Baritone to the greatest Lion EVER, and Jeremy Irons playing a perfect snide, sneaking villain in the effeminate Scar. Nathan Lane plays a perfect sarcastic sidekick, and Ernie Sabella is a funny & stupid Pumbaa. It's no mistake that they chose mostly well-known VAs for everybody, as this provoked some EXCELLENT performances.

Some of the scenes here are just PERFECT- the opening theme song (with African-style music) at Simba's introduction to the animals, the Adult Simba/Nala fight that immediately lets him realize just who he's dealing with, when Scar blames Mufasa's death on Simba and then tells him to flee the Pridelands, Rafiki going ninja on the Hyenas, Pumbaa going football-style on the Hyenas, and that ultimate legendary scene where Simba is confronted with the ghostly image of his father, who confronts him on shirking all responsibility and sends him running back to the Pridelands. And the whole thing where the Circle comes all the way around at the end. Just perfect.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
To call this movie a smash would be a drastic understatement- it changed EVERYTHING, and even made a successful Broadway musical, helping to revive THAT art form as well. There was also a great set of video games that REALLY pushed the Super NES' music card to it's limits- even my mom walked in and was like "that's GOOD SOUND" because they actually got reasonably close to the musical parts of the soundtrack. It perfectly caps off the Renaissance- any movie that came later couldn't HELP but disappoint. On a more personal level, I have a friend who was a depression-ridden teen who associates this movie with saving his life, as it was something that brought him great happiness (he must've seen it a billion times- he's also a Furry and I saw him draw a naked Nala-Person hybrid once, so he's also a bizarre weirdo, which of course make the most interesting friends :)).

Of course, you can't get away from some of the inspirations for the movie- it's so similar to Kimba The White Lion that people STILL make fun of it (Matthew Broderick even thought he was making a Kimba film at first). Said friend made himself look like a tool all through High School for wearing a T-shirt with Simba looking in a mirror and seeing Kimba. Though it has links just as strong to Hamlet, especially with the whole "Douchey Uncle" thing. And some people cried "racism" at how certain characters had more ethnic accents if they were villains, but really, the WORST of the lot was Scar, and he had BY FAR the most elitist white-guy accent ever.

But yeah, this was a game-changer. With the death of Howard Ashman shortly before Beauty and the Beast came out, this was the first film to feature none of his work- Elton John's successful songwriting ended up leading to a string of "Get a famous songwriter to do all the music" features in an attempt to recapture that magic- Michael Bolton & Phil Collins were not QUITE up to the challenge. The famous "Rafiki Lifts Simba To The Pridelands" scene would be parodied and remade literally hundreds of times, becoming one of film's most-copied scenes. Timon & Pumbaa became the most iconic "Those Two Guys" pairing in history.

TV shows & sequels? They got plenty. Timon & Pumbaa became one of the final Disney Afternoon shows (I remember thinking it was pretty lame- it was largely "ten-minute shorts"). The Lion Guard started only a couple of years ago, and features Simba's Suddenly-Introduced Son as the leader of a team of... animal super-heroes. The Lion King 2 went straight to video, and featured Simba as an overprotective parent to his daughter, who found a boyfriend in another pride of lions- one that was loyal to Scar! The Lion King 1 1/2 was a comedy film that basically took the first movie and made a bunch of cutesy references that put Timon & Pumbaa retroactively in the scenes (such as them accidentally tripping Simba & Nala into their lovers' embrace). I never saw it, but my Lion King-loving friend and others consider it both sacrilege and absolutely non-continuity.

The Broadway Musical is world-famous, and is a true testament to the art form, using specialized PUPPETS to tell much of the story. The main cast largely have "frozen animal heads" as stylistic helmets, but the rest of the show features a combination of "guy holding a puppet" stuff (Zazu & Timon), people in costumes, and INSANE background puppets that consist of people running around as impalas, cheetahs, rhinos and even some notable elephants. It was a complete smash, and still one of Broadway's biggest hits ever- expect this to never close. While it basically copies the movie almost EXACTLY (to the point where my friend and I were kind of a bit "well... we've SEEN THIS" at the dialogue), it's such a different event, and one you basically have to be there for. He Lives In You is one of the best Disney songs ever, to the point where it's kind of a shame it was stuck in this and the first movie sequel, as it has far less of a reach than comparable hits.

Much like other Animal Features, the impact of the movie on the Parks wasn't quite as great, but you'll still see Meet & Greets with some of the characters. Much of Disney's Animal Kingdom is named for the cast, and there's a musical there as well. The soundtrack has a life of its own, with 4-5 solid smash hits, including one of the better romantic songs (Can You Feel The Love Tonight?), a funny, catchy song that still gets quoted in Disney stores (Cast Members are trained to say "Hakuna Matata" if a guest ever breaks something by accident), one of the all-time greatest Villain Songs (Be Prepared, complete with Nazi Goose-Stepping Hyenas), and of course, the famous opening.

Hilariously, some Disney staff felt that this was a throwaway production, and Pocahontas was the more important, more artistically-worthy vision. Yes, POCAHONTAS, the movie roundly considered the worst of the Renaissance, and the one that basically put a bullet in it's head. You just can't make this stuff up.
Levander

Post by Levander »

I'm following the new builds while also reading through the rest of the thread on the train and such (way way behind, around page 295 right now) and I've been coming across the term "Mort", which I feel only started showing up more recently (from the perspective of page 295). I can tell the gist of it from context, but what's the full meaning and story behind the term?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Levander wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:25 am I'm following the new builds while also reading through the rest of the thread on the train and such (way way behind, around page 295 right now) and I've been coming across the term "Mort", which I feel only started showing up more recently (from the perspective of page 295). I can tell the gist of it from context, but what's the full meaning and story behind the term?
I'm not actually sure what it's named after, but it showed up in Wizard Magazine in their "Mort of the Month" column, which showcased a terrible character from some part of comics history. Usually a villain in an incredibly lame costume. So I started using the term "Mort" to describe guys like this.

ComicVine apparently has a set: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/ ... nth/12922/
Levander

Post by Levander »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:41 am
Levander wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:25 am I'm following the new builds while also reading through the rest of the thread on the train and such (way way behind, around page 295 right now) and I've been coming across the term "Mort", which I feel only started showing up more recently (from the perspective of page 295). I can tell the gist of it from context, but what's the full meaning and story behind the term?
I'm not actually sure what it's named after, but it showed up in Wizard Magazine in their "Mort of the Month" column, which showcased a terrible character from some part of comics history. Usually a villain in an incredibly lame costume. So I started using the term "Mort" to describe guys like this.

ComicVine apparently has a set: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/ ... nth/12922/
Ah, I see. So it has a lot of overlap with jobbers but refers more specifically to goofiness rather than uselessness (which is only strongly implied).
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

If The Lion King cribbed from Hamlet, The Lion King 1 1/2 is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. ^_^ Similar concept of minor characters suddenly thrust into the spotlight while the "real" story is incidental in the background.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

huh- well I'll be dipped- speaking of Disney stuff, Sofia the First had its Series Finale recently.

Now, I haven't been watching much of it since they stopped showing Disney Princesses in the stories (it's been a WHILE since we last saw one; worst of all, all we got from Frozen was Olaf!), and the "Wicked Nine" arc was pretty boring, but the show was fine "Background Noise", and much better than your typical show for small children was. Some funny voice acting and the occasional good lesson (the one about apologies actually made a VERY interesting point- that apologies itself were fine but ultimately MEANINGLESS if nothing was done to make amends).

Looks like the Finale finally explains why the hell all the kids were missing one parent (and the stories are ACTUALLY DEPRESSING, too!). But the writers plain ran out of time with the "Collecting the Wicked Nine items" arc and just threw them all together at the last second, lol. I'll have to watch this tomorrow. I might have to make some notes on the show as a whole (don't worry- I won't torture you all with builds. Even *I* have my limits with "Girl Show" builds :)).
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Be Prepareds become so iconic that Silver Letomi did a great Parody of it for WOW
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Simba

Post by Jabroniville »

SIMBA
Role:
Matthew Broderick (adult), Jonathan Taylor Thomas (young)
PL 8 (108)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 3 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Singing) 5 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+11, +12 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 [1]
"Lion's Mane" Features 2: +4 to Resist Choking Grapples or Neck-Bites [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Enemy (Uncle Scar)- Scar killed Simba's father years ago, and wants Simba dead as well.
Enemy (The Hyenas)- In this world, all Hyenas are dicks.
Relationship (Nala)- They felt the love that night, and had some freaky Lion Foreplay while they were at it.
Relationship (Timon & Pumbaa)- They're knuckleheads from old times.
Responsibility ("Remember Who You Are")- Simba rejected the responsibilities of his position out of guilt for causing his father's death (or so he thought), and decided he was going to live without any worries for the rest of his days. It wasn't until his past came storming back, and the ghost of his father confronted him that he was forced to grab his destiny.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 14 (108)

-Simba's character development was quite good, and a rarity for Disney, which tended to keep most characters the same during the film- he starts out a naiive, foolhardy young cub who wants to just have fun and be the centre of attention ("I Just Can't Wait To Be King"). When he's confronted by an unimaginable horror, one he believes to be all his fault, he flees his guilt and responsibility and adopts the "Hakuna Matata" problem-free philosophy of his new friends. And he's happy with his new life, until Nala comes back into it, and he's ready to just be all lovey-dovey and stay there with her forever, even avoiding going back to his home to set things right. THEN his father shows up, Simba realizes that he's letting everyone down and has a real responsibility to uphold, and returns to deal with Scar. Hell, he even gives Scar an ironic way out, until the old man ruins it by being a dirty cheater.

-Simba is a powerful lion by the end of the film, and is a pretty good fighter, despite being fairly untrained. I guess chasing around bugs all the time has trained his accuracy. He's not as good as my baseline Lion just yet, but his mental stats are a lot higher (since he's, y'know, a talking, singing lion)- he lacks the proper grappling abilities that he hopefully would later develop (Nala is notably a better grappler, and even Scar is only a little bit worse).

About the Performers: Jonathan Taylor Thomas was, like most Child Stars of his era, both a Teen Idol, a sitcom star, and someone with all three of his names constantly used. A big star from Home Improvement, he was easily the main kid, to the point where he got a solo push in a bunch of Kids Movies. Notoriously, he quit the show in its final season, pissing off Tim Allen by not going to school, like he promised, and instead making movies. His career flamed out pretty much the second he turned eighteen, but I haven't heard of him using smack, so I guess he's a successful Child Star.

-Matthew Broderick is much more famous, largely as a modern-day musical man. That, and the fact that he's married to what South Park describes as "a transvestite donkey-witch", leads to a lot of aspersions towards his sexuality. That said, he's had a hell of a career doing them, starring in The Producers most notably, but having a film career... full of minor productions. But to most, he'll always be Ferris Bueller, the manipulative shitbag friend who uses others for his own amusement.
Woodclaw

Re: Simba

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:07 pm -Matthew Broderick is much more famous, largely as a modern-day musical man. That, and the fact that he's married to what South Park describes as "a transvestite donkey-witch", leads to a lot of aspersions towards his sexuality. That said, he's had a hell of a career doing them, starring in The Producers most notably, but having a film career... full of minor productions. But to most, he'll always be Ferris Bueller, the manipulative shitbag friend who uses others for his own amusement.
To each his own, I guess. I remember him mostly as the thief Philippe "The Mouse" Gaston in Ladyhawke.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Nala

Post by Jabroniville »

Simba: "You sound like my father!"
Nala: "Good. At least ONE of us does."
-BUUUUUUURRRRRRRNNNN!!!!

NALA
Role:
Niketa Calama (cub), Moira Kelly (adult), Sally Dworsky (singing voice)
PL 7 (107)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Singing) 5 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 4 (32 mph) [4]

"Tawny Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+9) (Flaws: Limited to Grasslands & Brown Areas) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws & Teeth +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Simba)- They felt the love that night, and had some freaky Lion Foreplay while they were at it.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 12 (107)

-Nala is Simba's childhood friend and later Baby Mama, and was a pretty solid love interest. She was less of a Princess and more of a butt-kicker, trying to kill Pumbaa, and even as an adult she was a better grappler than Simba was- pinning him every time. Notably, despite his being the title character and more powerful one overall (few lionesses could ever really beat a full-grown male, though he's still a young adult), she's a notch more expensive.

About the Performer: I've never heard of Moira Kelly, but she's had a long enough career, largely playing minor roles. She was on One Tree Hill, I guess. And Chaplin, with two roles.
Jabroniville

Mufasa

Post by Jabroniville »

"REMEMBER who you ARE..."
-Mufasa, in one of those scenes that reminds you why this art form exists

MUFASA
Played by:
James Earl Jones
Role: The Mighty King, The Father Figure, The Most Bad-Ass Lion in History
PL 10 (140)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 1 (+5)
Athletics 3 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Royalty) 4 (+6)
Insight 1 (+5)
Intimidation 9 (+14, +15 Size)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+7)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Close Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons) 3, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Leadership, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Startle

Powers:
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Lion's Mane" Features 2: +4 to Resist Choking Grapples or Neck-Bites [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws & Teeth +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +9

Complications:
Enemy (Scar)- Mufasa knows Scar to be a lying, conniving jerk who wants to be King, but has no idea just how deep Scar's evil and ambition goes.
Relationship (Sarabi)
Relationship (Simba)- Mufasa is a doting father, but is frequently worried by his son's antics and lack of responsibility.
Responsibility (The Pridelands)

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 12 (140)

-Mufasa... is... AWESOME. Acted with the most deep of all manly-deep voices by James Earl Jones himself, Mufasa is the King of the Pridelands, and is generally the most wise and strong dude around. He's a hero of such grandeur that even the evil HYENAS have a deep-seated respect for him, and he's so tough that even the scheming Scar wouldn't dream of a direct threat- only by playing Mufasa's protective fathering instincts is he able to do away with the Supreme Lion. While Simba and many other rulers in fiction try to rule with an even hand, Mufasa shows them all how it's done. His only real mistake is not knowing the sheer depths of his brother's hatred.

-Mufasa is basically the Lady Shiva of Lions, adding a ton of accuracy to the Lion's already-fearsome physical presence, making him the only PL 10 of the "Lion King" universe. He would absolutely TROUNCE Scar in a fight, can effortlessly beat all three Hyenas, and it takes a whole Wildebeest Stampede to do away with him (likely a +10-11 Area Effect that takes place each round for several rounds). Simba is a powerful fighter. But Mufasa? Mufasa could be on THE AVENGERS.

About the Performer: James Earl Jones basically has the most recognizable voice on the planet, and has such a deep baritone he makes Christopher Lee sound like Lin-Manuel Miranda. He has the unique quality where he's world-famous for one big role (Darth Vader), but has artistic credibility because he won Tonys and all kinds of other awards before that. He still works frequently, and is usually in artistically-credible stuff- his Star Wars and Lion King work are rare bouts of "popular work" for him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab's Builds! (Genie! Jafar! Nightmare Before Christmas! The Lion King!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Under interesting little facts, James Earl Jones got into acting and speaking because he had a stutter as a child.