Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (Genie! Jafar! Nightmare Before Christmas! The Lion King!)

Post by Spectrum »

MorganBravestone wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:26 am You know, James Earl Jones described getting that voice in an interview once. Apparently, sometime when he was twelve his voice changed overnight. Like, the rest of puberty happened more gradually, over the next five to seven years, but his voice just plummeted straight from 'twelve-year-old' to 'Mufasa' and stayed that way. Voice didn't crack or waver, just went to bed a child, woke up as Darth Vader. He was actually embarrassed by it! So much so, that he spent the whole year pretty much pretending to be mute. Like, imagine a twelve year-old Silent Bob, from Jay and Silent Bob, but then when he does talk, it sounds like the ghost of your dead lion father laying down wisdom from the stars.
I've always had a distinctively deep voice, even as a small one. Teachers are school were soooo unfair! All the kids were talking but mine was the only one that they could pick out so I would get in trouble. In highschool, actually had to train myself to pitch up because I was going off the low end of the range. Then again, it's fun to go full Barry White sometimes too.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Hyenas

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:06 pm Ed was portrayed by Disney Legend Jim Cummings, whose raspy voice was used in pretty much everything they've done since 1989. Primarily he's known for being the current voice of Pooh, Tigger, and others, but also lent his voice to Don Karnage in TaleSpin, among other shows.
Lets see, off the top of my head:

- Darkwing Duck (Darkwing Duck)
- Monterey Jack (Chip n Dales Rescue Rangers)
- Dingo (Gargoyles)
- The Terror Mask (Splatterhouse 2010)
- Ioz (Pirates of Dark Water)
- The Shocker (Spider-man The Animated Series)
- Witterquick (Visionaires)
- Pete (Various Disney series)
- Hondo (Star Wars - The Clone Wars, Star Wars - Rebels)
- Hak Foo (Jackie Chan Adventures)
- Officer Dragon (The Savage Dragon)
- MODOK (Iron Man)
- Dr. Robotnik (Sonic the Hedgehog)
- Taz (Taz-Mania)

I will say, one of my favorite performances had to be the Terror Mask from the Splatterhouse game, because it's hilarious hearing someone I associate with Darkwing Duck say things like:

Mask: *ripping a guy in half* "Hey, wanna see what your spine looks like?"

Mask: *punching a hole in a guy* I think your insides should be on the outside!"

Mask: *tearing someone's head off* "Let me put it like this: You are fucked!"

Mask: *Rick gets knocked down* "Stop being such a pussy!"

Rick: *having just been hit by a meteor* "Ow, that hurt!"
The Mask: "Oh I'm sorry, did your vagina just say something?"

It's like hearing Frank Oz telling someone to go fuck themselves in the Yoda voice.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Scar

Post by Jabroniville »

SCAR
Played by:
Jeremy Irons (Jim Cummings in part of Be Prepared)
Role: Mad Dictator, Effeminate Villain
Most Villainous Act: Made a small child believe that his own father's death was all his fault, and convinced him to run away from home. Then sent his henchmen to kill him anyways.
PL 8 (106)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 3 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 1 (+4)
Expertise (Singing) 11 (+13)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Fast Grab, Fearless, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 [1]
"Lion's Mane" Features 2: +4 to Resist Choking Grapples or Neck-Bites [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Motivation (King of the Pridelands)- Scar desperately wants to be leader, to the point where he'll commit fratricide and infanticide to do it.
Enemy (Mufasa, Simba)- Mufasa stands in the way of Scar's ascendance, as does Simba. Mufasa doesn't trust his brother one bit, however, as is MUCH stronger.
Relationship (The Hyenas)- Scar's henchmen are all Hyenas. He doesn't respect or trust them much, and will happily throw them under the bus- this bites him in the ass later.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 7 (106)

-It's hard to find a more epic villain than Scar, especially since he's not as good a fighter as Simba or Mufasa. Scar is basically the same type of guy as Hamlet's Uncle Claudius was- a fratricidal, regicidal monster who wants the Kingship, doesn't want to fight Mufasa directly for it, and instead connives his way into power through sneakiness and planning. And MAN did they make a hell of a villain with this guy- Scar is the "Effeminate Villain" type, often slinking around and acting mildly seductive when he slithers his way up to somebody- Disney loves this type of villain, as men aren't "supposed" to act in such a way, and thus it's funny and somewhat menacing when they do, especially if they're bad guys.

-Scar of course gets the most awesome song of the whole movie, a wicked, boisterous cry of Be Prepared!, convincing an army of Hyenas to goose-step before him and take over the Pridelands. Jeremy Irons actually damaged his voice screaming out the "You won't get a SNIFF without me!" portion of the song, and Jim Cummings had to cover the later bits with his distinctive gravelly voice (the same one in In The Dark Of The Night from Anastasia, because Christopher Lloyd wouldn't sing), but this song is EPIC. Scar acts his snide best, intimidates everyone around him, and forges a huge, conquering army, all while some weird green volcano is exploding all around him, demolishing the scenery (while he's oddly not panicking).

-Scar is tough for a Disney villain, but less powerful than Simba- in their fight, Simba clearly has the advantage, and Scar only does well thanks to trickery, Minions charging to his defense, and Simba's inexperience. Of course, Scar also makes the CLASSIC villain mistake, of having Simba dead to rights, then deciding that THAT is the preferred time to reveal that he's responsible for Mufasa's death. Simba therefore grabs a Hero Point, leaps out of the Grapple, and kicks Scar's ass in front of everyone, then does it again later. He's quite snivelling, but he's still really fast and fairly powerful (note that his bite and claws do a lot of damage to Simba). Despite being smart for a Lion, Scar has less of an idea about Survival in the wilderness- his reign leads to the Pridelands becoming nigh-uninhabitable, as overhunting destroys the animal population, which wrecks everything else. Very "Fisher King".

-Scar has gone on to become one of Disney's most famous villains, though typically only the human-looking ones are all seen together. He just kinda stands out from the rest, being a skinny lion.

About the Performer: Jeremy Irons is famous for playing villains and doing stuff in well-respected art films, Shakespearean adaptations, and historical dramas, so to see him chewing the scenery as one of the most glorious Disney Villains ever is awesome. He's one of very few living actors to have won the "Triple-Crown" of acting (having an Oscar, Emmy and Tony- only singers ever get the full EGOT), and has done all kinds of things I've never seen... but he was in Die Hard With A Vengeance! And that god-awful Dungeons & Dragons movie. Being super-old, he's now playing Alfred in the DC Film Universe.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Lion King- Mufasa! Hyenas! Scar!))

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jeremy Irons was totally the best thing about the Dungeons & Dragons movie, since he totally stole the show as Profion. "EVERY OOOUNCE OF YOUR RAGE!" Also, an amusing fact: There are official D&D stats out there for the movie characters, just in an older edition.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Edmonton Comic Expo seems decent enough this year, but yikes- FOUR cancellations within days of the event. They lose Jason Momoa, Karl Urban, Katee Sackoff and the CW Black Canary- Momoa cancelled literally two days before. That's gotta suck for them- they couldn't even scramble replacements (Calgary one year managed Neil Patrick Harris when they got a big cancellation right before). It's a smaller event this time around, too- fewer big comics people or celebrities in general. The three big Doctor Who guys who are at EVERYTHING are here and are probably the biggest guests, but everyone's already met them who was going to, I think. The other "big get" is Brent Spiner, who doesn't usually show up at these things.

I'm more nerding out over meeting the '90s voices for Sailor Moon & Mars, and the current voices for Sailor Jupiter & Venus. too bad they couldn't get all five of either, but that's difficult to manage schedules.
Jabroniville

Bonkers

Post by Jabroniville »

Wakko: (holding bag of loot) "So what's the last item on our treasure hunt?"
Yakko: "A funny episode of 'Bonkers'."
Wakko: (looks in bag) "... can't find it."

BONKERS (1993-1996):

Bonkers is generally-considered as one of the "lesser shows" on the Disney Afternoon Saturday block- while The Adventures of the Gummi Bears and DuckTales were well-thought-of, and Darkwing Duck and Rescue Rangers improved on things, this was probably the first really BAD show. It's a Cop Show featuring a dunderheaded, accident-prone, annoying Toon named Bonkers (from a Raw Toonage collection of shorts). He was partnered with a pretty lady cop named Miranda (Greg Weisman worked on the early episodes, and he would re-use the "Lady Cop partners with an inhuman creature" story later), but the episodes they got back from the animators were in poor condition, and Disney execs hated them, so the whole crew was dumped and they started over.

The early rumor was that the show started as an attempt at creating a cartoon spin-off of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but when the deal fell through, they altered it into this form. However, the creators have since discredited that (since the last time I posted these builds, apparently). I remember the show as being a bit of a nuisance, with a VERY annoying theme song, and a main character who's about as intolerable as Roger Rabbit, without any of the clever gags or inventive stuff that made Roger Rabbit such a great movie. Never mind that a TOON interacting with HUMAN BEINGS doesn't actually seem like a novelty in a 100% animated TV show.

Bonkers would soon get extra-dopey and his human Eddie Valiant-ish partner, Lucky Piquel, was added instead of Miranda. HOWEVER, the show would air the "Lucky Episodes" first, doing the standard "Cop Show Where They Fight" thing, before dumping the 19 "Miranda Episodes" at the end of the series. This made things a bit disjointed, as some other characters vanished as well, but I think any adolescent boy watching the show knows which version of the show was best :).
Jabroniville

Bonkers (Character)

Post by Jabroniville »

BONKERS
Played by:
Jim Cummings
Role: Whacky Cartoon Character
PL 4 (85)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Toon Actor) 10 (+9)
Expertise (Cop) 4 (+3)
Perception 2 (+1)
Persuasion 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Benefit (Famous Toon)

Powers:
"Manic Toon Physiology"
"Toon Spaz-Out"
Movement 2 (Permeate 2) (Flaws: Unreliable) (Quirks: Leaves A Recognizable Silhouette Behind) [1]
Speed 3 (8 mph) [3]

"You Can't Kill a Toon"
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [7]
Immortality 14 (Flaws: Limited- Acetone/Turpentine/Benzene Can Kill Toons) [14]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
"Toon Bridge" Movement 1 (Air-Walking) (Flaws: Limited to When Unaware of Impossibility) [1]

"Three-Foot Bobcat" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Quirk ("Two Bits!")- A Toon is always compelled to add "Two Bits!" when someone plays the opening bars of "Shave and a Haircut!". This can ruin disguises or attempts at Stealth.
Motivation (Doing Good)- Bonkers prefers being a cop to being a Toon Actor, and so he refuses offers of fame.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 6 (85)

-Bonkers is a Bobcat Goldwhait sound-alike with a tendency towards buffoonery. He's not quite amusing by my standards, but he gets the job done as a borderline-competent cop- more of an Idiot Savant, though some episodes play up the idea that he's extra-good at Toon-based crime because of his history as a cartoon actor.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

... Jesus Christ. Lucky has more fetish art show up on a Google Image Search than does Miranda. I hate you, internet.
Jabroniville

Re: Simba

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:10 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:00 am
Woodclaw wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 pm

To each his own, I guess. I remember him mostly as the thief Philippe "The Mouse" Gaston in Ladyhawke.
... I've never actually heard of that :).
You've never watched LadyHawke?

This is a really big loss of nerd-cred, my friend.
Is it? I mean, I've never seen Willow, either, but I've at least HEARD of that. I've literally never seen nor heard anything about LadyHawke in my life. I mean, never!
Jabroniville

Lucky Piquel

Post by Jabroniville »

LUCKY PIQUEL
Played by:
Jim Cummings
Role: Hard-Boiled Detective, Straight Man
PL 4 (51)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Police Officer) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 1 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Detective Gear, Gun)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gun +3 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Toons)- Lucky finds Toons very annoying.
Relationship (Bonkers)- Lucky finds Bonkers ESPECIALLY annoying.
Relationship (Dill & Marilyn)- Lucky loves his wife and daughter, though they usually have to get him to cheer up around his annoying partner.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (51)

-Lucky is basically like Eddie Valiant, a snarky, easily-annoyed fellow who grumbles about his annoying partner while being the butt of all the universe's jokes. He's a big fat Ugly Guy with a Hot Wife, and of course learns to appreciate Bonkers as time goes on, because you could predict the entire plot about immediately.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I gotta admit, I've never heard of LadyHawke either, and I've seen things like Hawk the Slayer and The Last Dragon! I gotta put it on my To-Watch List at some point. Also, while I've never actually seen Darkwing Duck in years (though I have played the NES game, which is basically Mega Man, but with Darkwing Duck instead), from what I understand, he's basically Batman Lite, but a toon (with some elements of The Shadow as well), though quite a bit more goofy, and with a huge ego that often gets in the way, but he can get serious when need be. "Let's get dangerous!" From what I recall, his main gadgets were a gas gun and a grappling hook. I'm not sure if the wikis would help. He can be competent if the situation calls for it, but I don't think his PL would be extraordinary high. PL 8-9, maybe?
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ladyhawke is a really well done film, with beautiful cinematography, but also slo-o-o-w paced, and the only fantasy element is the curse on the two lovers (the knight and lady). Rutger Hauer hadn't slid into ham actor territory yet, and Michelle Pheiffer was perfectly cast. Broderick...well, he wasn't bad exactly, but his character and acting style just didn't belong in the movie. Worthwhile for genre fans, but not a classic nor cheesy fun.

Darkwing Duck likely wouldn't top PL 7-he's not an incompetent hero, but the episodes generally revolve around him getting embarrassed or defeated until the finale, where he pulls a victory out (accumulating Hero Points, in M&M terms). His evil counterpart Nega-Duck is likely a full PL higher, being just as egotistical but more serious and ruthless.

Darkwing's the least powerful member of the Justice Ducks, but likely the smartest, despite his bumbling.

All my best.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Also, does anyone else remember the Mighty Ducks cartoon? I'm actually more familar with it than the live action movies, just because of how freakin' bizarre it was. I'm still not sure if it wasn't just a fever dream.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:45 pm Also, does anyone else remember the Mighty Ducks cartoon? I'm actually more familar with it than the live action movies, just because of how freakin' bizarre it was. I'm still not sure if it wasn't just a fever dream.
Lol- that cartoon was nuts. A hockey team that had no draft and only seven players, two of whom were FEMALE, in the NHL? Never mind that they’re alien ducks.

What’s funny is my only memory of it was having our Japanese exchange students here while watching it. The late ‘90s wasn’t a good time for our cartoons, but man, they must have thought we loved total garbage :).
Jabroniville

Miranda Wright

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

There are SO few good pictures out there I can use. Everything else is either too adult or foot-themed. Like, she is a GODDESS for weird foot fetish artists. I have no idea why. There must have been some episode involving her feet being tickled or something. But seriously, "Lady Cop" AND "Cute Blonde"? Yowza.

MIRANDA WRIGHT
Played by:
Karla DeVito
Role: Lady Cop, Straight Woman
PL 4 (57)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Police Officer) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 1 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Attractive, Equipment 2 (Detective Gear, Gun)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Gun +3 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Bonkers)- Miranda is actually friendly and kind towards her partner, and they are close.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (57)

-By the Heavens, I do so love punny names. And what's better than a punny name like "Miranda Wright" on a COP? Making her a SEXY cop. Miranda was a bit more dull than Lucky, since she was a completely "Straight" character with virtually no flaws, or even an antagonistic nature towards Bonkers- she's just his friendly female partner. Made the show more AND less fun to watch at the same time, because holy god is she adorable- LOVE "Good Girl" types. She's a bit more pricey than Lucky by virtue of having charisma and being cute as a button.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.