WAIFU WARZ - MISC. BUILDS - THE INCREADIBLE (NON)SHRINKING MAN

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - Magical Girl Sailor Elsa (PL8)

Post by squirrelly-sama »

"To attempt to break apart the pure love between two sisters is unforgivable! The guardian of Love, Noblesse Rime is here to end your schemes. Turn to snow and melt away!"

Märchen Maiden Noblesse Rime - Elsa Arendelle - PL 8
Sex: Female
Height: 5'2" | Fur: White| Eyes: Blue
Role: Magical Girl, The Responsible One, The Shinking Violet

Waifu Stats
Division - Light Weight
Series - Frozen
Focus - Mage (Support)
Waifu Typing - Dandere Joshikousei

Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 8/4, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 6

Advantages
Defensive Roll 2, Fascinate (Expertise: Singing), Favored Environment: Snow, Improved Defense, Skill Mastery: Expertise (PRE): Singing, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+10), Expertise (PRE): Singing 8 (+14), Insight 4 (+8), Perception 2 (+6), Persuasion 2 (+8), Ranged Combat: Ice Magic 6 (+8)

Powers
Disney Magic
. . Aurora: Illusion 8 (Affects: Two Sense Types - Visual, Area: 250 cft., DC 18)
. . Create: Create 6 (Volume: 60 cft., DC 16; Increased Duration: continuous)
. . Freezing Mist: Cloud Area Damage 6 (DC 21; Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 16, Increased Range: ranged)
. . Hail: Cone Area Damage 8 (DC 23; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, DC 18, Precise)
. . Icy Illusion
. . . . Decoys: Concealment 4 (Linked; All Visual Senses; Affects Others Only, Increased Range: ranged; Limited: Decoy Images)
. . . . Deflect: Deflect 8
. . Snow Storm: Environment 2 (Cold (Extreme), Impede Movement (2 ranks), Visibility (-5), Radius: 60 feet; Increased Duration: continuous, Selective)
Princess Power (Activation: Standard Action)
. . Flight: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round; Platform)
. . . . Movement: Movement 2 (Alternate; Water Walking 2)
. . Leaping: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
. . Protection: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
. . Reflex: Enhanced Trait 13 (Traits: Agility +4 (+8), Parry +4 (+8), Advantages: Uncanny Dodge)
The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway: Immunity 1 (Environmental Condition: Cold)

Offense
Initiative +8
Freezing Mist: Cloud Area Damage 6 (DC 21)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
Hail: Cone Area Damage 8 (DC 23)
Throw, +2 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 15)

Complications
Identity - Elsa Arendel: Fighting evil by moonlight, Nobless Rime is secretly the mild mannered Elsa Arendelle.
Power Loss - Henshin: Without her Noblesse Emblem Elsa cannot transform into Noblesse Rime.
Relationship - Anna Arendelle: The younger sister of Elsa, the two grew estranged over time as Elsa's responsibilities forced her to mature and her own social anxieties adding more stress to the poor girl. Elsa cares deeply for her younger sister and only recently have they fully reconnected.
Responsibility - Parental Sibling: Due to the death of their parents Elsa has been forced to act as her sister's mother, looking out for her and watching over her, while they don't hurt for money Elsa takes care of all the chores and responsibilities a parent normally would.
Weakness - Timid: Elsa is afraid of social interaction and prefers to avoid people whenever possible. While she acts more confident in her Rime persona if sufficiently shocked she can lock up in a panic.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8/4, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8/6, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 46 + Powers 46 + Advantages 6 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 120

Background: Last of the alternate Elsa's, it is Magical Girl Elsa.

This Elsa lives in a modernish time where her ice powers were awakened by the series mascot, a talking moose plush. Now, protect her sister, she fights evil in a short skirt.
Jabroniville

Re: WAIFU WARZ - Renamon Joins The Fight!

Post by Jabroniville »

I love how absurdly common Sailor Elsas are. Her color scheme and her hair REALLY make her fit that outfit well, since blue is established for TWO Sailors.

Shibamura Prime does the best, cutest version:

Other versions are nice, too:

catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I think these broked jab :lol:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hush, you :P

From Ronin Army (I'm sorry, Ares! I was unfaithful to you! Forgive me, senpai!), re Orizaba:
Echoes is down at the moment, so I'll respond here .

Yeah, Orizaba was really cool- she really came off as Elena's most threatening villain in that episode. There was this palpable sense that Elena and all of Avalor was in deep, deep trouble.
Squirrrelly's response:
She came off as a very powerful spirit, even managing to succeed in her plan and with the spirit guide going so far as to tell the heroine to give up and get used to living in eternal darkness when she asked how she could solve the problem. The reason she won is because Elena had the one magic item that could really be a threat to her.

BTW, if Echo's remains down I'll post my next build here, it should be up soonish. Depending on how quickly I can either find a picture for it or draw one. I have a feeling you'll like it.
Just so that this exchange isn't lost to the ether :).
squirrelly-sama

Ah yeah, that was right before I started posting the Elsa builds.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - Starfire (PL8)

"On Tamaran [a kiss] merely translates as the transfer of knowledge, but on your world it means... More. Or so I've heard."

Starfire - PL 8
Height: 5'8" | Hair: Red| Eyes: Green
Role: Alien Princess, Fish out of water, Perky Girl, The Innocent Optimist, Adorable Badass

Waifu Stats
Division - Light Weight
Series - Teen titans
Focus - Flying Artillery/Brick
Waifu Typing - Genki

Strength 6, Stamina 8, Agility 4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 5

Advantages
All-out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Roll 2, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Teamwork

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+10)

Powers
Flight: Flight 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
Star Bolts: Damage 6 (DC 21; Accurate 2: +4, Feature: Can Be Shot From Eyes Or Hands, Improved Critical 2, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack)
. . Eye Lasers: Line Area Damage 8 (Alternate; DC 23; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 18, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action)
Tamaranian Diplomacy: Comprehend 2 (Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All; Narrow Type: Only Languages of Those She Kisses)

Offense
Initiative +8
Eye Lasers: Line Area Damage 8 (DC 23)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 16)
Star Bolts: Damage 6, +10 (DC 21)
Throw, +6 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 21)

Complications
Obsession - Friendship
Quirk - Foreigner from Space
Relationship - Robin
Responsibility - Tamaranian Princess

Languages
Tamaranian
English (Comprehend)
Japanese (Comprehend)

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 8, Toughness 10/8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 58 + Powers 33 + Advantages 16 + Skills 3 (6 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 120

Notes:
One of the team members of the original Teen Titans and the heart of the group.

One of my favorite characters in the show, though despite growing up with it I didn't find her as attractive as some others did. She was cute but mostly I liked her for her optimism and innocence, she was a nice combination of ass kicker and diplomat for the team, being the one to solve inner disputes. She also wasn't dumb or flirty despite her appearance and quirks, she was handled rather well and respected by the show.

My knowledge of the character comes mostly from the show, though I did end up finding out a few interesting facts about her comic self. I'm surprised they went with Starfire given her need to expose skin to absorb solar radiation to sustain themselves. Though that probably explains her rather risque attire in the show, being a halter top, short skirt, and thigh high boots. It never seemed to be brought up in the show, and Star seemed to have an appetite on her so I decided not to add the solar sustenance bit.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - Raven (PL8)

"Evil beware... We have waffles."

Raven - PL 8
Height: 5'4" | Hair: Blue| Eyes: Purple
Role: The Snarky One, The Goth, The Arcanist

Waifu Stats
Division - Light Weight
Series - Teen titans
Focus - Flying Artillery
Waifu Typing - Sassy

Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 2, Awareness 4, Presence 0

Advantages
All-out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 4, Fascinate (Intimidation), Holding Back, Improved Initiative, Lion Heart: +5 to resistance checks against emotional effects, Ritualist, Untapped Potential

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+6), Expertise: Magic 8 (+10), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+8), Perception 2 (+6), Ranged Combat: Magic 8 (+8)

Powers
Dark Magic
. . Shadow Attacks: Damage 8 (DC 23; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Improved Critical, Increased Range: ranged, Indirect 4: any point, any direction, Variable Descriptor: close group - Slashing, stabbing, blugeoning)
. . Shadow Blaster: Line Area Damage 8 (DC 23; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, DC 18, Increased Range: ranged)
. . Shadow Walls: Create 12 (Volume: 4000 cft., DC 22; Impervious, Movable; Concentration, Distracting)
. . Telekinesis: Move Object 10 (25 tons, Advantages: Improved Grab, Improved Hold; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Precise; Inaccurate: -2)
Flight: Flight 3+1 ([Stacking ranks: +1], Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
. . Movement: Movement 3 (Alternate; Permeate 3: full speed)
. . Teleport: Teleport 3 (Alternate; 250 feet in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.)
Shadow Defense
. . Shadow Block: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Sustained)
. . Shadow Deflection: Deflect 8 (Reduced Range: close)
Shadow Flight: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round; Stacks with: Flight: Flight 3+1, Subtle: subtle)

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 12)
Shadow Attacks: Damage 8, +8 (DC 23)
Shadow Blaster: Line Area Damage 8 (DC 23)
Telekinesis: Move Object 10, +6 (DC 20)
Throw, +0 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 17)

Complications
Phobia - Trigon: Daughter of the demon king Trigon Raven fears him appearing and destroying the home she's built.
Responsibility: Conceal Don't Feel: Raven's powers require emotional control, getting emotional often causes the power to short-circuit and damage nearby objects.
Temper: Despite her calm attitude Raven is capable of a monstrous temper, going on a rampage as her demon heritage rears it's ugly head.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6/2, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 43 + Advantages 12 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 120

Notes:
Raven, the resident wizard of the Titans and snarky cynical goth chick.

By far my favorite character of the team and the one I had the hugest crush on as a kid. Short hair, exotic look, snarky and Cynical? Yes please!

Raven was one of the power houses of the team, a user of dark magic, and one of the more mature members. She contrasted well with the others, playing the straightman to many of the team's antics alongside Robin. She was a loner who had trouble opening up, and while she cared for her team she kept them at a distance which often came up as part of the plot of episodes focused on her.

The girl came with a lot of baggage, more so than the rest of the cast as her backstory ended up becoming one of the core plots of a season. Slade returns from the dead, empowered by her father who seeks to enter and conquer their dimension. Even outside of that we see snippets into the lonely and sad existence of Raven, her need to control herself, her loneliness, and her temper. But in each of those episodes we see her grow as a person and get closer to her team, ultimately culminating her facing her personal demons and banishing her father.
Last edited by squirrelly-sama on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - Jinx (PL8)

"What's wrong kitty, afraid of a little bad luck?"

Jinx - PL 8
Height: 5'4" | Hair: Blue| Eyes: Purple
Role: The Fem Fatale, The Creepy Hot Villainess, The Villainous Foil

Waifu Stats
Division - Light Weight
Series - Teen titans
Focus - Ranged (Harasser)
Waifu Typing - Sassy

Strength 0, Stamina 4, Agility 6, Dexterity 0, Fighting 2, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 4

Advantages
Defensive Roll 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Luck 4, Skill Mastery: Deception, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+14), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+10), Deception 10 (+14), Expertise: Mysticism 6 (+6), Insight 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+6), Ranged Combat: Magic 8 (+8)

Powers
Acrobatics: Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
. . Leaping: Leaping 2 (Alternate; Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
Cursed Child: Luck Control 1 (Force a Re-roll, Advantages: Luck 4)
Gymnastics: Movement 5 (Safe Fall, Sure-footed 1, Swinging, Wall-crawling 2: full speed; Check Required 5: DC 14 - Acrobatics)
Hexs
. . Hex Bolts: Damage 8 (DC 23; Improved Critical, Increased Range: ranged, Ricochet: 1 bounce, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Misfortune)
. . Jynx: Affliction 10 (1st degree: Vulnerable, Impaired, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Disabled, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged, Insidious; Inaccurate: -2, Limited Degree)
. . Snake Eyes: Affliction 10 (1st degree: Dazed, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, Defenseless, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Contagious, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged, Insidious; Inaccurate: -2, Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 10)
Hex Bolts: Damage 8, +0 (DC 23)
Jynx: Affliction 10, -2 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 20)
Snake Eyes: Affliction 10, -2 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 20)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +2 (DC 15)

Complications
Curse Sworn - Born Unlucky: Jinx's powers only bring bad luck. In her own words she never had a chance to be a hero because of them.
Responsibility - The Hive: Jinx is a student of the villainous training school and leader of the team of their top students.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6/4, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 37 + Advantages 7 + Skills 22 (44 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 120

Notes:
Villain eventually turned hero at the end of the series, and by far my favorite character in the show.

Jinx was a villainous foil to Raven, often being the one to face her in a fight between the Titans and the HIVE. Both are magic users with some baggage (though Jinx's baggage only gets revealed towards the end of the show's run) with Gothic looks and sassy attitudes. But where Raven is more stoic Jinx had a bit more of a playful edge to her.

When she and her team are introduced they're a major threat, effortlessly stomping down the titans and taking over their tower. However as the show went on they steadily became more jobbers than actual threats, they could hold their own for a bit but ultimately they usually ended up getting taken down pretty easily. We get to see a bit more of Jinx in the episode where Cyborg infiltrates the hive in disguise and befriends the Hive group. She acts like the snobby popular girl, the cheer captain in charge of the team of villains, and eventually warms up to the newcomer "Stone" (Cyborg's Alternate Identity).
squirrelly-sama

HUSBANDO WARZ - TG TALES - Old Man Henderson (PL7)

"MUCKLE DAMRED CULTI 'AIR EH NAMBLIES BE KEEPIN' ME WEE MEN!?!?"

Old Man Henderson - PL 7
Sex: Male
Height: 5'8" | Hair: Grey Mohawk| Eyes: Aviator Shades
Role: Agent of Chaos, Anti-GM Weapon, The Crazy Old Guy, An Hero

Husbando Stats
Division - Feather Weight
Series - TG (Call of Cthulhu)
Focus - DPS
Husbando Typing - Drunken Scotsman

Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 0, Dexterity 2, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 8, Presence 0

Advantages
Diehard, Equipment 3, Improvised Weapon 5, Languages 1, Ranged Attack 4, Seize Initiative, Takedown 2

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+2), Athletics 1 (+2), Close Combat: Unarmed 9 (+9), Deception 8 (+8), Expertise: Anarchist Cookbook 8 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+6), Stealth 4 (+4), Vehicles 4 (+6)

Powers
300 Pages of Back Story: Variable 2 (effects you can convince the gm to stop fighting you on; Action 3: reaction, Innate; Check Required 2: DC 11 - Deception, Uncontrolled)
. . Expert Fighter
. . . . Shoryuken!: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 20; Improved Critical)
Already Insane: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Mental Effects)
Insight Into Madness: Enhanced Awareness 8 (+8 AWE; Unreliable (roll))
Just A Scratch!: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness)

Equipment
Heelie Boots: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)
Weapons
. . Homemade Explosives: Damage 4 (DC 19; Contagious, Increased Range: ranged, Secondary Effect, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Bombs, Fire, Acids; Diminished Range 2, Unreliable (5 uses))
. . Sawn Off Shotgun: Damage 6 (DC 21; Accurate: +2, Improved Critical, Increased Range: ranged; Diminished Range 2)
. . Tear Gas: Cumulative Cloud Area Affliction 6 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Cloud Area: 15 feet radius sphere, DC 16, Cumulative; Unreliable (5 uses))

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 11)
Homemade Explosives: Damage 4, +6 (DC 19)
Sawn Off Shotgun: Damage 6, +8 (DC 21)
Shoryuken!: Strength-based Damage 4, +9 (DC 20)
Tear Gas: Cumulative Cloud Area Affliction 6 (DC Fort 16)
Throw, +6 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 16)

Complications
Accident - Friendly Fire: Henderson does not recognize allies nor the idea of moderation in a fight and will fire on friend or foe without hesitation.
Disability - Incomprehensible Scottish Accent: "MUCKLE DAMRED CULTI 'AIR EH NAMBLIES BE KEEPIN' ME WEE MEN!?!?"
Disability - Mentally unbalanced: Old Man Henderson is both dyslexic and suffers from Schizophrenia.Even before getting involved in eldritch shenanigans he was already a little crazy. He often consults his stuffed parrot Rupert for advice and thinks the other players are hallucinations.
Hatred - Religion, Cutlery, and books
Motivation: Lawn Gnomes

Languages
English, Portuguese

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 10 + Powers 41 + Advantages 17 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 105

Notes:
The legend of Old Man Henderson is a crazy-ass tale about a player who accidentally figured out how to "win" at Call of Cthulhu (only it was really Trail of Cthulhu).

In summation the tale of Old Man Henderson (found here) is about a crazy ass old guy named Henderson, no first name given. The character was created with the soul purpose of screwing with the GM, someone who had a track record of screwing with the players' characters by giving unexplained sanity penalties and other things that pissed off Henderson's creator. So, in order to get his revenge Henderson was made as insanely as possible, with many odd and strange abilities, preferences, and prejudices specifically tailored to "win" the game. He was made to be completely at odds with the setting, a silly looking badass and almost cartoonish character contrasting the grim dark and hopeless tone of a normal CoC game.

Henderson was given a several hundred page backstory, written in various languages, cobbled together piecemeal together from 1st, 3rd, and even 2nd person accounts and much of it hand written. The purpose was to give a "believable" reason for the oldmans many eccentricities and explain away certain strange skills that would otherwise make no sense, to convince everyone this was a seriously made character and not a blatant attempt to troll the GM, and lastly to be able to secretly edit it to add anything he wanted and know it was too long for anyone to have bothered reading it fully to contradict him. Among his various odd bits of lore is his ability to speak portugese, his brief career as a prostitute in Thailand, and that despite blaming all his problems on Vietnam he never went to war and was in fact 12 during that conflict.

Henderson was unleashed upon a poor unsuspecting world. On a quest to rescue his lawn gnomes that he believed were kidnapped by cultists, but were in fact donated to charity by him but he was too high to remember, he set out to rid the world of cultists. On their first encounter he ended up killing a shaggoth, a dozen cultists, and one of his fellow players, then pissing on the corpses and only later feeling regret at the possibility he may have accidentally hurt innocent lawn gnomes when he burned the building down afterwards.
Last edited by squirrelly-sama on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: WAIFU WARZ - Now With Old Man Henderson

Post by Jabroniville »

Heh- sounds entertaining. I never understood the purpose of a Call of Cthulhu game anyhow.
squirrelly-sama

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am Heh- sounds entertaining. I never understood the purpose of a Call of Cthulhu game anyhow.
from my understanding it's a game to invoke a sort of Lovecraft-lite story experience. A dark dingy and low-powered setting where you first must put together a mystery to discover the source and reasoning behind various odd goings on in the neighborhood and attempt to stop it to mixed success. A sort of horror mystery where ever so slowly unraveling the case can put the characters closer and closer to a horrible fate, as their sanity unravels and things slowly grow more and more insane.

Though there are some that play it very differently, similar to Henderson, who take the dark and Gothic horror/mystery setting and turn it on it's head.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

There was a pretty nifty Ghostbusters rpg too. Every once in a while I go back to see the current prices on a Tobin's Spirit Guide for the game.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Nice stats for him but I hate the story of Old Man Henderson, personally I think its just the /worst/ part of loony player. Of course I think its just bullshit >implying text but still.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Bear wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm Nice stats for him but I hate the story of Old Man Henderson, personally I think its just the /worst/ part of loony player. Of course I think its just bullshit >implying text but still.
I would get that impression, too, save for the "real world" backstory that says the GM was apparently a bad boss who would throw out random penalties to the players.
squirrelly-sama

WAIFU WARZ - Skullgirls (Intro)

Legend tells of a mysterious artifact known as the “Skull Heart” that has the power to grant a young woman’s wishes. Of course, there’s a catch. If she has an impure heart, even a selfless wish will be twisted in the most vile of ways: peace brought through brutality, eternal life through perpetual childhood, or a lost love returned as an undead monster.

Hundreds have sought the Skull Heart, but so far none have been deemed worthy and spared its cruel power. Those judged impure are transformed into the fearful instrument of their twisted wish… a pale and lovely tempest, a beautiful nightmare – the Skullgirl!

...A new Skullgirl has risen. Who will defeat her and claim the Skull Heart?

Medium: Video Game (Console and PC)
Genre: Fighting Game
Released: 2013 (Re-released 2015)
Studio: Developed by Lab Zero Games Published by Autumn Games)

A downloadable 2D fighting game from Lab Zero Games. The general plot is rather simple and the story modes fairly short, though unique to each character. In Canopy city a new Skullgirl has been born, now various young women are seeking to defeat her for their own purposes, some to stop a dangerous threat others for more selfish reasons. They fight it out throughout the city, seeking to settle personal grudges, eliminate rivals, and discover the location of the Skullgirl.

The design of the game, both in play and aesthetic is what makes it so unique. In game play the characters handle very differently and require precision much like any other fighting game, however the game has rather unusual character concepts to fight with with such oddities as Ninja-Nurses, self-decapitating cat girls, Loonie Toon Terminators, and acrobats with extremely muscular hats, the cast and move list stand out from the rest. As a "Waifu Wars" fighter, an action game with a nearly entirely female cast, the aesthetic design also needs to pop to get attention and this very much did so. With animated 2D characters, rather than 3D meshes or retro pixel art, the game is able to use an mix of western and anime design for the girls. Cute and attractive looks with more cartoonish body proportions and is able to use Bend and Stretch techniques to give more fluid and exciting movement to attacks and animations. In set design and core aesthetic the game seems to blend a strange mixture of 50s era film noir and cartoons with a more modern and anime inspired world.

Build Notes:
I've built the girls on a PL 8 scale, where I generally place the PC characters of most Fighters. This would place them about equal to the likes of most of the Street Fighter, SNK, Mortal Combat, and Smash Bros rosters. It also has it's own unique mechanics, including universal complications that should be applied to all characters.

Infinity Burst: A unique mechanic to Skull Girls, the computer detects when a combo would lead to an infinite loop and allow the stun-locked character to get a turnaround by breaking the combo and knocking back the attacker to give the victim breathing room. In terms of MnM gameplay this will result in repeated chains, attacks, or exploitative measures eventually leaving the user vulnerable and allowing a reaction attack (or trip/knockback) from the victim. It can can also be used by the Player by spending a hero point to burst out of a combo.

Combos and Hit Stun: A common Fighting Game mechanic, certain more powerful hits stunning or staggering opponents momentarily to make it easier to land another hit. To simulate this in MnM characters every consecutively landed strike between failed resistance rolls adds a +1 circumstance bonus to the next hit for both attacker. Second and Third Degree damage conditions can be Stunned and Paralyzed instead of Dazed and Staggered, on player's choice however these conditions recover immediately on the opponents turn the next round.

Fidelity of Movement and Spacing: In fighting games spacing matters a lot, with quick paced action the difference between moving even a foot more than the opponent can be the difference between victory and certain defeat. Spacing is everything. Not so much in MnM, where movement powers are cheap and have vague lengths attached to them, the value of a Move Action and the exact distance between one's self and their opponent is less important. In an effort to simulate this emphasis on motion and distance control the time between rounds can be sped up, becoming 1 second of time and the maximum distance moved similarly being cut. Distance moved in around would be a routine check of Athletics/Acrobatics/Initiative with the result halved for the number of feet can be moved in a round. Each rank of a movement power adding +5 to the check result. To add more importance to Move Actions Maneuvers without the associated Advantage will cost a move action, and with the advantage will not for the default +2 bonus but still cost it for the +5 bonus.

Blocking: A universal part of Fighting and action games that doesn't have a good MnM equivalent. While some could say Defend action is an accurate approximation it doesn't really capture the idea of Tanking an attack for less damage. In this case it can be treated like a Maneuver and act similar to a Defend Action. Blocking would cost a Standard Action, gaining a +5 to your resistances at an equal cost to defenses. However Blocking only covers a limited area and as such leaves you vulnerable from attacks that catch you by surprise such as those from behind or striking at an unexpected angle. Penetrating Attacks ignore Block bonuses.
Last edited by squirrelly-sama on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.