Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The New Supers

Post by Jabroniville »

THE NEW SUPERS:
-The new Supers in Incredibles 2 occupy multiple purposes in the plot. 1) They establish that there are still other Supers left. 2) They show the "new" kind of Super- young heroes with more bad-ass "modern" names. Chracters like Voyd and Krunch DEFINITELY do not fit the "1950s/60s" mystique of the original film. 3) They provide a big super-fight- one thing lacking in the original film was Supers (vs) Supers.

-As characters, they're all very simple- five are literally just Joke Characters, whose entire concept is that they have a "LOL" power (Reflux), odd look (Screech) or funny way of talking and reacting to things (Krushauer, He-lectrix, Brick). Only Voyd has an interesting personality, in that she clearly hero-worships Elastigirl, to the point of getting nervous and jittery around her- her attempts at small-talk and clear discomfort is adorable.

-This group, while somewhat skilled, are amateurs at-best, and struggle against the experience opposition of the Parr family- even through their greater numbers, they generally have trouble maintaining the advantage. I fit them as PL 8s, given that they can be tricky on offense, but most of them have easily-exploitable weaknesses. Most of them lack even rudimentary Skills due to their lack of screen-time, and do not appear to have the capabilities of the elder heroes in particular.

-There is, however, some sadness in building these characters. See... statting them up, and being the ONLY person to have done so, reminds me of just how different the "M&M Fanbase" is now compared to when I first started. There was a time where there would have been three to four builds of these characters within TWO WEEKS of Incredibles 2 opening in theaters. Kreuzritter was into more of an "I just saw this; here's a build" thing, I would likely have done so, and so would a handful of other posters. The Atomic Think Tank used to be a VERY BUSY PLACE during the 2nd Edition days. So to be the only person building these characters, who've existed since August, is a sobering remind of how much less busy the build forums are.

-HOWEVER... I'm fairly certain I have way more people posting in my thread now than there were back then- it seemed like the ATT was 90% builders and 10% commenters (one of which was Libra with his "Keep up the jolly good work!" nonsense, lol). I mean, the comments are now SUBSTANTIAL, when back then they were more sparse and pretty weak by comparison. So all is not lost. My melancholia over seeing the lack of Reflux, Krunch & Voyd builds is somewhat tempered by the fact that the poster-base honestly seems as good as ever (though there's a handful of people I still miss).
Jabroniville

Screech

Post by Jabroniville »

SCREECH
Played By:
None
Role: One-Note Guy, Flier
PL 8 (111)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+11)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown

Powers:
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
"360-Degree Vision" Senses 4 (Radius Sight, Extended, Ultra & Low-Light Vision) [4]
"Owl Ear Tufts" Senses 2 (Accurate Hearing) [2]

"High-Pitched Screech" Dazzle Hearing 6 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Supers)- Superheroes are illegal.
Prejudice (Animalistic)- Screech looks very inhuman, standing out even among Supers.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 10 (111)

-Screech is literally just a guy who says his name, and then gets involved in some fights, so there's no depth to the character. He's an interesting look at how Supers work in the Incredibles universe, though. I mean... everyone else had traditional super-powers. A guy whose powers are that he's an animal-person is unique to this universe. Like, he's got a beaky nose and wings! Everyone else was just "Guy who flies" or "Guy who shoots lasers out of his eyes"- this feels much more modern and weird.

-Screech's "Big Moment" is arguably just creepily turning his head around when Dash & Violet answer the door, and are greeted by mind-controlled Supers. It's a GREAT bit of directing, as the scene would ordinarily lack movement, or menace beyond "there's scary people behind this door". But everyone standing there, facing forward, and then that HEAD TURNS... THAT has some impact.

-Screech can fly, turns his head around three-hundred and sixty degrees, and can apparently break glass with his voice (... was that in the movie? I forget).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4C8

Re: The New Supers

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:24 pm THE NEW SUPERS:
-The new Supers in Incredibles 2 occupy multiple purposes in the plot. 1) They establish that there are still other Supers left. 2) They show the "new" kind of Super- young heroes with more bad-ass "modern" names. Chracters like Voyd and Krunch DEFINITELY do not fit the "1950s/60s" mystique of the original film. 3) They provide a big super-fight- one thing lacking in the original film was Supers (vs) Supers.

-As characters, they're all very simple- five are literally just Joke Characters, whose entire concept is that they have a "LOL" power (Reflux), odd look (Screech) or funny way of talking and reacting to things (Krushauer, He-lectrix, Brick). Only Voyd has an interesting personality, in that she clearly hero-worships Elastigirl, to the point of getting nervous and jittery around her- her attempts at small-talk and clear discomfort is adorable.

-This group, while somewhat skilled, are amateurs at-best, and struggle against the experience opposition of the Parr family- even through their greater numbers, they generally have trouble maintaining the advantage. I fit them as PL 8s, given that they can be tricky on offense, but most of them have easily-exploitable weaknesses. Most of them lack even rudimentary Skills due to their lack of screen-time, and do not appear to have the capabilities of the elder heroes in particular.

-There is, however, some sadness in building these characters. See... statting them up, and being the ONLY person to have done so, reminds me of just how different the "M&M Fanbase" is now compared to when I first started. There was a time where there would have been three to four builds of these characters within TWO WEEKS of Incredibles 2 opening in theaters. Kreuzritter was into more of an "I just saw this; here's a build" thing, I would likely have done so, and so would a handful of other posters. The Atomic Think Tank used to be a VERY BUSY PLACE during the 2nd Edition days. So to be the only person building these characters, who've existed since August, is a sobering remind of how much less busy the build forums are.

-HOWEVER... I'm fairly certain I have way more people posting in my thread now than there were back then- it seemed like the ATT was 90% builders and 10% commenters (one of which was Libra with his "Keep up the jolly good work!" nonsense, lol). I mean, the comments are now SUBSTANTIAL, when back then they were more sparse and pretty weak by comparison. So all is not lost. My melancholia over seeing the lack of Reflux, Krunch & Voyd builds is somewhat tempered by the fact that the poster-base honestly seems as good as ever (though there's a handful of people I still miss).
I was fairly new to Atomicthinktank before the move to echoes so I don't know about the number of people still building characters in comparison, saying that however I have noticed that there seems to be far far less fan based 'build/OC' sites of all types. There used to be a huge number of sites dedicated to things such as micro-heroes and superhero RPG's (especially X-Men RPG's), most of the sites I would occasionally visit no longer exist and the creation of new sites seems almost non-existent.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

He-lectrix

Post by Jabroniville »

HE-LECTRIX
Played By:
Phil LaMarr
Role: One-Note Guy, Blaster
PL 8 (82)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Electricity) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Electrical Blast 8 (Feats: Precise, Split) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Electrical Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 9 (82)

-Oh my God I actually forgot about this guy. A skinny, odd-looking European, he's the flashy Blaster of the team, which provides some different kind of stuff in battle. His powers are so simple that he's literally JUST a Blaster, though, lacking anything in the way of solid applications of it. He's a PL 8 Blaster, but is REALLY limited otherwise, and is nothing defensively.

About the Performer: Phil LaMarr, who plays both He-lectrix and Krushauer, is basically "That Black Guy" in just about EVERYTHING, usually playing a deep-voiced guy. His biggest roles to nerds are as Samurai Jack, Hermes Conrad on Futurama, and John Stewart on JLU, but he's been in just about EVERYTHING- an experience VA with a resume that contains a lot of "Assorted Voices". He has a natural penchant for comedy (he was on MadTV for a number of years), but his voice means he plays a lot of stoic, unemotional guys with baritones.
Ken

Re: Screech

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:53 pm Image

SCREECH
He's buffed up since he left Bayside High.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: He-lectrix

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:38 pm Image

HE-LECTRIXA skinny, odd-looking European, he's the flashy Blaster of the team, which provides some different kind of stuff in battle. His powers are so simple that he's literally JUST a Blaster, though, lacking anything in the way of solid applications of it. He's a PL 8 Blaster, but is REALLY limited otherwise, and is nothing defensively.

About the Performer: Phil LaMarr, who plays both He-lectrix and Krushauer, is basically "That Black Guy" in just about EVERYTHING, usually playing a deep-voiced guy. His biggest roles to nerds are as Samurai Jack, Hermes Conrad on Futurama, and John Stewart on JLU, but he's been in just about EVERYTHING- an experience VA with a resume that contains a lot of "Assorted Voices". He has a natural penchant for comedy (he was on MadTV for a number of years), but his voice means he plays a lot of stoic, unemotional guys with baritones.
Hello, my name is Glass Cannon.

Phil LaMarr also played Static in Static Shock. So, a black guy, but NOT a stoic baritone. I think having him play a white, European, electric guy may have been some kind of inside joke.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Krushauer

Post by Jabroniville »

KRUSHAUER
Played By:
Phil LaMarr
Role: One-Note Guy, Krusher
PL 8 (85)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"KRUSH!!!" Blast 8 (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Area-30ft. Burst, Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Objects Unless Target is Contained Within Objects -1/2) [30]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
KRUSH!!! -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Krushing Things)- To UN-Krush things seems stupid and illogical.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 12 (85)

-Krushauer is a HUGE, German-accented black guy whose power is to "KRUSH!", which he shouts constantly. It's actually a pretty solid Area Attack, and produces some terrific visuals, though his powers are limited aside from that. His biggest moment is when Mr. Incredible asks him to undo the damage he's wrought- a notion the rookie Super finds absurd ("You would not UN-PUNCH something!").
Jabroniville

Voyd

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

VOYD (Karen)
Played By:
Sophia Bush
Role: Nervous Girl, Wannabe Hero, Teleporter
PL 9 (105)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 1 (+3)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Teleportation"
Teleport 6 (Feats: Precise, Change Direction) (Extras: Portal +2) (26) -- [29]
  • AE: Teleport 6 (Feats: Precise, Change Direction) (Extras: Attack Only +0, Ranged) (20)
  • AE: "Twin Portals In The Way" Affliction 8 (Movement; Hindered & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Immobile) (Extras: Ranged, Secondary Effect) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (16)
  • AE: "Stop Hitting Yourself!" Blast 8 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Source- Enemy Attacks) (16)
"Teleport-Based Dodging" Deflect 10 [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Teleport Attack +10 (+6 Ranged Teleport, DC 16)
Twin Portals +10 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Stop Hitting Yourself -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Nervous)- Karen is not terrific with people, though likeable. She gets nervous easily, especially when meeting her idols.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 11 (105)

-Voyd was SO CUTE. Not really gorgeous or even that pretty, but she had this awkward manner, large chin, and nervous disposition that made her look very "off" and indearing all at the same time. A really wonderful design that really stood out from this crew of goofs. The way she just couldn't manage to control herself when meeting one of her idols, then laughing nervously as she shook Elastigirl's hand ("Get it together, Karen!")- it was adorbz. Voyd thus seemed to take the lead in a lot of the "New Supers" segments, talking to Elastigirl and fighting Dash & Violet while being mind-controlled by the Screenslaver. Her powers looked great visually, and made for some exciting, unpredictable fight scenes as well. I liked how it didn't always work perfectly (she "missed" getting Elastigirl to the getaway ship a few times).

-Voyd is a short-ranged Teleporter, but typically just uses the abilities for combat, such as forcing Dash to run in place (ie. between two portals) so he can't escape, or getting people to strike themselves (an attack Spot used in the Spider-Man books before).

About the Performer: Sofia Bush is a very pretty girl whose name I know, but I'm completely unfamiliar with her work. A teen starlet from the early 2000s, she became a big "advertising" person, and did a bunch of stuff I've never seen. She was a regular on One Tree Hill, a CW-like teen drama.
Jabroniville

Re: Elsa

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:47 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:37 pm -It's this problem that might be the hardest part of the 2019 sequel to pull off. I guess there's some expected drama and other stuff, but Elsa more or less goes through a COMPLETE CHARACTER ARC in her fifteen minutes of screentime in Frozen- Most of the traits we associate with her character, in particular her isolation, self-created hell, and her fear... have been dealt with. Like... are they gonna re-activate them? Put Anna in danger to capture the fear? Pretty much all the emotions shown in Let It Go are lightning in a bottle- her joy at finally letting herself free has already been seen.
Just go full superhero queen. Running a country is hard work, even without ice magic complicating things. Frankly, I'm a little confused your OC world doesn't have an Elsa as the local Namor/Black Panther/Doctor Doom figure yet.
Go check my Jabverse thread- I posted the Elsa-like character I was talking about :).
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Ken wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:58 pm

SCREECH
Thank you for the morning's laugh !
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Bladewind wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:57 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:58 pm

SCREECH
Thank you for the morning's laugh !
Is it just me, or did they take Nite-Owl's costume from Watchmen and just literally give the guy owl powers?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Brick

Post by Jabroniville »

BRICK (Concrecia "Connie" Mason)
Played By:
Unknown
Role: The Powerhouse, Masculine Woman
PL 8 (75)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+5)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Super-Physiology"
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]
Power-Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 10 (75)

-Given a comedically-masculine physique and voice, Brick is a generic powerhouse and treated more like a one-off joke. In battle, she's strong but inaccurate, and really seems to exist just to give Bob someone to fight on an even keel for a while. Brick handles herself okay in the fight, but largely shows a slower speed and a lack of skills, meaning she's much, MUCH cheaper overall. Brick's Voice Actor is not listed anywhere that I can find- probably a crew member altered via a computer.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Incredibles! Syndrome! Frozone! Voyd!)

Post by Goldar »

Nice Incredibles, Jab!

I have not seen #2, so it is good to see some characters from it. I always felt like we needed more characters from their universe.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Brick`s real name is Concrecia ? Really ?
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Bladewind wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm Brick`s real name is Concrecia ? Really ?
I think that really cements what kind of humor the writers have.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.