Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Incredibles! Syndrome! Frozone! Voyd!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Don't forget that her last name is Mason. As if the puns weren't already as subtle as a ton of bricks.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Ares wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 pm
Bladewind wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm Brick`s real name is Concrecia ? Really ?
I think that really cements what kind of humor the writers have.
I wouldn't plaster that joke all over the place
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Bladewind wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm Brick`s real name is Concrecia ? Really ?
They don't have to hit me over the head with a brick!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Shock wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm
Goldar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:38 pm They don't have to hit me over the head with a brick!
Look, guys, I thought you all took it for granite that I made those kinds of puns.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ares wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Shock wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Goldar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:38 pm They don't have to hit me over the head with a brick!
Look, guys, I thought you all took it for granite that I made those kinds of puns.
I wouldn't throw stones at you for doing that.
Jabroniville

Reflux

Post by Jabroniville »

REFLUX
Played By:
Paul Eiding
Role: One-Note Guy, Joke Super
PL 8 (73)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Magma Belch" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2, Secondary Effect) Linked to Weaken Toughness 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2, Affects Objects) [35]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Magma Belch +6-8 Area (+8 Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 23 & 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Supers)- Superheroes are illegal.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 12 (73)

-The most outwardly joke-y of the new Supers is Reflux, whose concept is that he's an old man who belches ultra-hot semisolid magma. It creates some great visuals with that alternately dark-and-light spew, but he's too silly to take seriously. Since his power was by far the most dangerous of his team, he had the correspondingly shitty aim- he couldn't hit ANYBODY with that damn thing, save Violet, whose shield was enough to stop it. Despite that, it's really kind of an Area Effect.

About the Performer: Paul Eiding is an old-school Voice Actor who now does instruction, but his roles are pretty minor-league from what I can tell. Perceptor wasn't exactly a major Transformer. Most of his roles seem to be video game related.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Paul Eiding sticks out in my mind because he was Grandpa Max in Ben 10, as well as Colonel Campbell in Metal Gear Solid. But yeah, I can't think of any real major roles. One amusing thing is that he was in the dub of the ridiculous anime-esque fighting game, Evil Zone, where the voice actors were apparently instructed to be as over the top as possible.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And now come the spoilers, so reader beware :).
Jabroniville

The Screenslaver

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

THE SCREENSLAVER (Evelyn Deavor)
Played By:
Catherine Keener
Role: Mandatory Secret Disney Villain, Mind-Controller, Inventor
PL 3 (59), PL 5 (59) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 9 (+12)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 1 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Technology 6 (+13)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ultimate Deception Skill

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +6

Complications:
Hatred (Super-Heroes)- Evelyn lost her parents because they believed that heroes would come to save them- she blames them for making her parents delusional, and thinks that heroes should remain illegal.
Secret (The Screenslaver)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 3 (59)

-Our great "Myster Villain" is the dark-eyed, tired-looking sister of Winston Deavor, the man behind getting Super-Heroes legalized. She's an interesting sort- she comes off very casual and snarky, and a bit of a wallflower, giving "straight talk" to Elastigirl (she actually uses the word "CRAP", which is very unusual for a Disney or Pixar film) while letting her brother handle all of the PR stuff. Winston SEEMS like he'd be our villain, as he's played by Bob Odenkirk, and acts like a typical Corporate PR Guy (obsessed with "Perception" and other things- he's like a nicer version of the corporate '80s guy in Futurama), but Evelyn's technological genius (she's behind Elastigirl's gadgets) and resentment of super-heroes soon reveals her to be the villain.

-Her motivation is somewhat solid, though she's not as epic or as threatening as Syndrome was. I did like her rant, though- "My brother is a CHILD! He misses our parents and SUPER-HEROES, and like a CHILD, he equates the two!". Her hatred of heroes is a bit less intense, coming from the fact that her parents SHOULD HAVE gone to the safe room, but instead went to call heroes who never arrived. It's a bit harder to see this as the heroes' fault, and she doesn't go quite into a full grandiose thing blaming them for human frailty or whatever, which might have been good.

-Evelyn is a good liar and great tech-person, whose plan is pretty solid. She has an escape plan, a patsy (a pizza delivery guy), and more. She's a bit stymied by Elastigirl's incredible investigative skills (pointing out that the basic locks on the "Screenslaver's" door don't fit a guy with a mastery of technology, and that he somehow has access to Elastigirl's body camera)- "You ARE good". Her tech-gear is quite effective- basically Touch Range Mind Control devices that never turn off, and give a person their full breadth of capabilities (though renders them a bit "stiff" personality-wise). Like Syndrome's stasis devices, they're pretty much "You Get No Save" things, though.

About the Performer: Catherine Keener has been acting for years, and has been in all sorts of stuff. She painted a picture of Kramer on Seinfeld, was the female lead in The 40 Year-Old Virgin, and has been nominated for a pair of Oscars (for Being John Malkovich and Capote).
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I thought it was kinda weird how they went with the "Iron Man 3 Mandarin" sort of twist (ie. the mystery villain you see on screen is merely a pawn for the real villain hidden behind the scenes), but when I did some more thinking, I realized that it fits with allt he spy/espionage stuff going on in the movies.
Jabroniville

Cars

Post by Jabroniville »

CARS (2006):
Written by:
Dan Fogelman, John Lasseter, Joe Ranft, Kiel Murray, Phil Lorin & Jorgen Klubein

UP YOURS, CARS!!! It's YOUR fault getting sequels to the other films is so hard (okay that's misplaced because OBVIOUSLY Pixar would work on any one of them if the writers finished them)!! I didn't get the entire concept- they're cars because... because? It's a film about 1950s nostalgia for some reason, while also being about fame & junk... I dunno, this whole thing would work just as well with human characters. Their world doesn't make sense (who BUILDS them? Why is EVERYTHING a vehicle?), Mater is annoying, the female character is as dull a protagonist as anyone, and the "Thoughful" moments come across as bland and mediocre compared to every other Pixar movie, ever. Beyond kids being force-fed this stuff with the toys, I can't imagine how it ever got so popular.

The movie features Lightning McQueen, an up & coming racing star, forced to work in a small-town American town after wrecking a local monument. The movie kind of looks nostalgically back on the 1950s, as "Route 66", the famous highway, used to run through Radiator Springs, but was eventually covered up by a different road, killing the town. So McQueen learns the value of hard work, thanks to the stoic female character, the hillbilly Mater, and a famous retired racer who was forgotten by the sport after a bad accident. I did like the ending, when McQueen stops before the finish line, to allow a respected old racer to finish his final race before he retires.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I heard the cars in Cars gained sentience via AI, and then they killed all the humans.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Cars 2

Post by Jabroniville »

CARS 2 (2011):
Written by:
John Lasseter, Dan Fogelman & Brad Lewis

-This one goes a bit crazy- a giant Grand Prix race is held all across the globe... but Mater gets mixed in with some super-spies, because there's a great conspiracy to destroy a new environmentally-friendly form of gasoline/petrol. So it's basically the side character becoming the main star. The only bit I liked was where Mater blurting out a guy's criminal info accidentally ACTUALLY WORKING (the guy clammed up his questioning act immediately when Mater spewed his criminal history out loud). The rest is dull.
Jabroniville

Cars 3

Post by Jabroniville »

CARS 3 (2016):
Written by:
Kiel Murray, Bob Peterson, Mike Rich, Brian Fee, Ben Queen, Eyal Podell & Jonathan E. Stewart

-The third film treats it like the end of an era, as Lightning is gearing down as a new generation of faster cars are being built (... born?). However, his training montage soon focuses on his ally Cruz, and he convinces her to race in his stead- she uses old-school car tricks (which oppose her more scientific, "proper" learning) to win.
Jabroniville

Cars Reception

Post by Jabroniville »

"*gasp* PIXAR!!! I love all of yours movies, except Cars!"
-Lisa Simpson, "The Simpsons"

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-Cars did quite well in theatres, to the tune of $462 million, which is above The Princess and the Frog but well below Tangled, making it not THAT big of a success by Pixar's standards. It was pretty well-liked and not that hated... but the film series would develop a bad reputation. See, while the films usually didn't do "PIXAR NUMBERS", they were INSANE money-makers for Disney's toy division. Little kids would snap up simple die-cast toys of the characters, which, given that most of the characters had similar templates, made them highly profitable. And this profitability led to a profusion of Cars stuff. It received a sequel before any Pixar film but Toy Story, then got a THIRD FILM, all because The Merch was so lucrative.

Cars 2 did $562 million, beating the first film by a ways, but the last film did only $364 million, which is REALLY bad by Pixar standards. It also has a 68% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is almost impossibly bad for a Pixar film.

The focus on Larry the Cable Guy's dumb hillbilly Mater, and Owen Wilson's usual lackadaisical "normal guy" acting style, would give the films a worse and worse reputation as time went on, to the point where it became a mainstream kind of thing to poke fun at how bad Cars was. In this sense, while it's a huge moneymaker for Disney, it's been disastrous in terms of public perception- that this occurred at the same time as Disney's "New Renaissance" meant that Pixar had to do some damage control, which thankfully was pulled off with a handful of successful, well-liked movies.

The popularity of Cars stuff, however, led to Disney attempting its own take-off of the franchise with Planes, an obvious rip-off also designed For The Merch, but it wasn't that well-received. The most enduring aspect of the franchise may be "Radiator Springs" in Disney's much-maligned California Adventure Theme Park. This park was REALLY decried early on, and is considered an embarrassment by the company, but this land was a HUGE shot in the arm and really improved things. It was actually the centrepiece of a billion-dollar renovation of the park, and was REALLY well done. The "Theming" and immersive nature of the land, which features life-size buildings and versions of stuff from the films, as well as "Meet & Greets" with mobile vehicles. And "Radiator Springs Racers" is a hugely-sought-after ride- easily the biggest one in the park, drawing huge line-ups. It's quite a fun, thrilling ride (which I really should have ridden more than once- assuming huge line-ups, I didn't realize the "Single Rider" would be such a short jaunt- I literally walked onto the ride), with some good "Dark Ride" portions in addition to a big speed-run near the end. Even people who hate Cars were impressed by this land- it's kind of the "Proof of Concept" of what a tired, dull Disney Theme Parks division could be capable of, and has directly led to the application of other "Anti-Harry Potter" attempts such as an Avatar-themed land in Animal Kingdom, upgrades to Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom, and more.