Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds (Colossus! Cosmo! Cecilia Reyes! Cyclops!)

Post by drkrash »

Yay! A series I'm much more interested in! :)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

There's also a pretty acclaimed web series, Mortal Kombat: Legacy , although I actually enjoyed the pilot more, Mortal Kombat: Rebirth, which valiantly tried to ground the characters in more reality.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I have 2 lasting memories of Mortal Kombat

1) Last year of high school my friend's little brother, probably 14 at the time, had obtained the secret code to show the blood on the Sega version. The game shipped with the blood turned mostly transparent so you were punching "sweat" out of them instead of blood. Anyway we turned the blood code on and the little brother starts screaming "BLOOD! BLOOOOOOD!!!" If anyone had managed to get video of that, the game probably would have been permanently banned from the US

2) First year in college (probably the first week), I had followed my roommate up to some other kid's room where there was a crowd of people taking turns playing Mortal Kombat on the owner's system. I eventually got my turn and someone comes up to me while I'm playing and goes "Who are you?" I confidently replied "I'm Scorpion." He comes back with "No, who ARE YOU? Why are you here?" "Oh, I'm Shock. I'm here with Brian." "Oh, cool." Turned out it was his room.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:51 pm There's also a pretty acclaimed web series, Mortal Kombat: Legacy , although I actually enjoyed the pilot more, Mortal Kombat: Rebirth, which valiantly tried to ground the characters in more reality.
I enjoyed both of them a lot and, I think, they were made by the same team. I think that the idea behind Legacy was to show how normal people rationalized some of the weirdness of Mortal Kombat before going to the island.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:55 pmI enjoyed both of them a lot and, I think, they were made by the same team. I think that the idea behind Legacy was to show how normal people rationalized some of the weirdness of Mortal Kombat before going to the island.
Yup. They actually wanted to put out a new movie, which was what the pilot was for. It was vetoed, but they were given license to do a web series.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I was never really a fan of Mortal Kombat (though I did watch the movies and have a vague recollection of the TV series), I was however a huge fan of the Streetfighter series.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

There was also a MK cartoon in the 90s, Mortal Kombat: Defenders Of The Realm. And it..takes the worst parts of bad cartoons from the time, where every episode follows the exact same formula, and there is pretty much no plot or character development whatsoever, every character is a one-note stereotype, and of course, because it's for kids, no gore either. It did feature the first appearance of Quan Chi, and Clancy Brown (voicing Raiden) and Ron Perlman (voicing Stryker- ?!) are present, but besides that, it's just..bad. There was ALSO an animated movie: Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins, that was meant to be a prequel to the live-action movie, buuut..it's bad. Horrible 2D animation meets horrible 3D animation! Though it does inexplicably feature a few of those ever-present voice actors like Jim Cummings, Jennifer Hale, ect.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Heh. And the less said about the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers cartoons, the better...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So after that long-ass preamble, I come to Mortal Kombat builds. The issue with Mortal Kombat is that unlike Street Fighter, most characters play the exact same way save for their special moves, meaning that aside from some slight adjustments to Strength/Stamina and Accuracy/Defenses (mostly because someone like Jax or Sheeva is obviously stronger than Sonya or Kitana), most guys have the same stats, making them rather boring. So a lot of guys can be built from a single "Template" with some changing moves. So I can probably post these fairly quickly, especially if they're crappy side characters nobody cares about.

Finishing Moves: These are effectively the Finishing Attack move in Mutants & Masterminds- if you roll high enough, you can kill the target outright. After all, this is a Defenseless, beaten opponent. The "not rolling high enough" result is undoubtedly explained by those awkward moves where you duck, stand, duck then let out an accidental wussy punch that causes the guy to just fall over because you screwed up the activation code for the Special Move :). However, since some of them reflect uncommon uses of power, I shall leave each known Fatality of a character with Features- two for characters with LOTS of options (generally the longer-running characters), and one for characters with only a couple- allowing for Friendships, Fatalities, Babalities and Animalities (really, I'm not gonna charge someone all the points it would take to give them Transformation Affliktions and Metamorphing :)). It's like two points max for most guys, so why not? Just remove 'em if it bothers you.

Weapons: A few of the later games utilize "Weapon Fighting", which gives most guys a rank of Equipment- I assume that the weapons do +1 to +2 Damage, with the corresponding drop in accuracy to make PL (otherwise, why wouldn't they just ALWAYS use the weapons in M&M?).

Power Levels: I just don't see the MK guys at the same level as their Street Fighter opponents. Some guys might be (Bosses & Main Heroes line up quite well- though MK notably has a MAIN Main Hero as Liu Kang way outranks his pals Sonya & Johnny, as opposed to SF, which has Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li & Guile around a similar level), but for the most part the series is too full of newbies with each game, and they're done more "realistically" (fireballs and other moves barely cover any of the screen and do less damage; guys take more damage and are easily killed in-world) that I'll be giving them lower stats overall. That's just how I see things, really, and I won't pretend that personal bias doesn't come into it :). If it bothers you, just raise their PLs a notch, or whine into a razorblade or something (justkiddingdon'tsueme!).

I'll be building everyone, but most guys are pretty simple- a Template with some additions. I'll probably spend way more time on the Commentaries (or should I say... "Kommentaries") than actual stats for the most part. ESPECIALLY for the last batch of guys, who rival the pre-MK 4 cast in number, but utterly lack stand-out qualities. I used ACTUAL Templates for the side characters I found useless back when I first did these builds five years ago, but this time I'll separate them- it's only 2-4 newbies per game, so it's not that much extra work.

Building guys from a video game series (especially a Fighting Game) and translating them into M&M stats produces some odd things, and often requires some altering of the basics- despite both being based around a Combat System, the aspects of both just don't translate over.

Some observations (now that I've built a few guys, and have a few more ready to post):

* A huge part of Fighting Games is the existence of moves with "Priority" over other moves (ie. you can use a jump kick on a guy doing his Fireball for a certain number of frames, and different guys have different #s of frames), split-second timing, blocking, reversals, anti-air defense, Hit-Boxes (ie. how much of the area in and around a fighter is vulnerable to attack- Street Fighter IV actually had to put animation-style Hit Boxes in because the whole "if you touch the sprite, you hit the guy" thing common to 3-D fighters just DIDN'T WORK with the Capcom Fighting System). Very little of this translates into a system based mostly off of Attack & Toughness rolls, with a little bit of feinting thrown in, and each character getting one chance to hit per round.

* Kombos: Vastly important to all fighting games, in that quick, light attacks set up bigger moves. And of course M&M has no such system (aside from hoping that highly-damaging attacks can leave a guy more open to attack later). I like to assume that cases of Power Attack and greater damage rolls come from Kombos instead of just the same old attack.

* Energy Weapons and other Special Moves: These tend to be highly powerful in Comic Books (and in Movies based off of Fighting Games- a Hadoken or Lightning Leg are nearly always fight-enders), yet are only a bit tougher than regular attacks in Fighting Games. The issue is always to balance this out- in the media you could justify doing +10 Damage with such attacks, but to more accurately translate the games, these attacks are only doing +4 to +6 Damage most of the time. You kind of have to find the balance you like. With lighter attacks, they can be more accurate, which I think fits the Martial Artist concept. And anyways, given how the system tends to lean towards high-damage & toughness guys doing the best in fights, there'd be little reason NOT to use your most powerful attacks all the time if you could hit +10.

* And in any case, Power Attack can alter a lot. A +5 Fireball can easily turn into a +10 Super-Hero Class attack with a little Power thrown in. That's why pretty much all Martial Artist/Fighting Game builds I have will include Power Attack.

Power Levels in Mortal Kombat:
* Where to place guys on the Tiers of Power Levels is quite tricky. In the actual Fighting Games, characters jump up and down tiers with each update to the Arcade Cabinet (if you're old like I am and remember such things being a big deal), sequel or Downloadable Content (to you newfangled whippersnappers). Minor-league characters unimportant to the story can become Top Tier in one game, and Joke Characters the next, with certain characters becoming legendary for their effectiveness in certain games- Super Street Fighter II had Sagat in the God Tier (as some have said: "SAGAT isn't God Tier. GOD is SAGAT Tier"), whereas Mortal Kombat II had Jax & Mileena as the uncontested best characters. Later games can change all that. Tiers are too variable to really go by sometimes.

* Add to that the Boss Characters who become Standard Fighters the next. Gaia in Toshinden went from the nigh-unstoppable Boss in one game, and was merely a highly-powerful regular guy in the sequel, and so did Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat II, not to mention all the Secret Characters who went from Super-Fast Cheesemasters (Reptile, Smoke, Noob, Jade) into Regular Joes in MK 3. It's like they go from PL 11 to PL 9 overnight.

* I think the best thing to do is place them given their "fluff" to an extent. Liu Kang is objectively the best fighter in Earthrealm, having canonically won four straight Mortal Kombats, including defeating Goro, Shang Tsung & Shao Kahn themselves (By contrast, Ryu has a lot more competition in Street Fighter, as it's unclear whether he's really much better than Ken, Chun-Li or Guile, not to mention half the supporting cast is also awesome, non-jokey fighters). Certain popular, recurring characters should also be relatively-powerful, enough to beat Liu. Characters who show up in only one or two games obviously made little "mark" on the games, and thus don't deserve really high PLs- they just don't merit it given how little importance they seemed to have to the overall plot (I mean, you gonna give Rain equal stats to Scorpion?). Bosses should be tough, but within reach of the heroes- since they DID canonically lose to them several times.

* Though going exclusively by "fluff" can be troubling- DarkStalkers is a good example- Pyron is virtually treated as a Cosmic Being, able to destroy the Earth. This makes him like PL 16-20 overall, yet if you play the game, you are perfectly capable of defeating him by playing a half-nude Catgirl or a rock-playing Zombie. You've got to balance "Fluff Characteristics" with "Playability".

* Doing otherwise would produce some crazy results- MK II practically had most guys at PL 8-ish, Mileena at PL 10-11, and Kintaro/Shao Kahn at PL 13!! When Stryker proved unpopular in MK 3, he was given a huge Scrappy-Inducing boost in power, thus becoming a top-tier guy, before basically vanishing into the franchise till MK 2001, too. Similarly, some games go nuts with the "fluff".
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

In other fighting game news, this happened:

We live an an age in which a Piranha Plant, of all things, is a playable character in a fighting game.
At least it leaves plenty of opportunities to make Little Shop of Horrors jokes.
(And yet it still makes more sense than Negan from The Walking Dead being in Tekken 7..)
Jabroniville

The Roster

Post by Jabroniville »

To-Build List:
Mortal Kombat:
Liu Kang (Shaolin monk, Main Hero)
Sonya Blade (Special Forces agent)
Kano (Sonya's enemy)
Johnny Cage (Movie Star out to convince everyone he's not a fraud)
Sub-Zero (Evil Ninja)
Scorpion (Ninja Revenant out to kill Sub-Zero, Best Character)
Raiden (Chinese God fighting in defense of Earthrealm)
Reptile (Secret Character; reptilian Outworlder)
Goro (Four-Armed Sub-Boss and master of Mortal Kombat)
Shang Tsung (Final Boss, an Evil Wizard)

Mortal Kombat II:
Kung Lao (Descendant of a past Mortal Kombat champion)
Jax (Sonya's partner, now searching for her)
Baraka (Outworld warrior)
Kitana (Outworld Princess)
Mileena (Kitana's evil duplicate)
Smoke (Grey Ninja)
Noob Saibot (Shadowy Ninja)
Jade (Kitana's Ally)
Kintaro (Four-Armed Sub-Boss, Badder-Ass Than Goro)
Shao Kahn (The Ruler of Outworld, Final Boss)

Mortal Kombat 3:
Sindel (Shao Kahn's Queen and Kitana's mother)
Sheeva (Four-armed agent of Sindel)
Kabal (Scarred Criminal)
Stryker (NYPD Cop)
Rain (Purple Ninja, Telekinetic)
Ermac (Red Ninja)
Sektor (Red Cyborg Ninja)
Cyrax (Yellow Cyborg Ninja)
Smoke (Purple Cyborg Ninja)
Nightwolf (Native American Stereotype)
Chameleon (Light-Green Ninja)
Motaro (Centaur Sub-Boss)

Mortal Kombat 4:
Fujin (Wind God)
Jarek (Criminal)
Meat (Bloody-Looking Muscle Guy)
Reiko
Quan Chi (Sorcerer, Works for Shinnok)
Tanya
Shinnok (Evil God, Final Boss)

Mortal Kombat- Deadly Alliance:
Kenshi (New Monk)
Bo' Rai Cho (Drunken Master)
Li Mei
Nitara (Vampire)
Frost (Female Ninja)
Mavado & Hsu Hao
Drahim & Moloch
Blaze (Elemental Monster)
Mokap (Motion-Captured Man)
Sareena

Mortal Kombat- Deception:
Noob-Smoke (Combo Character)
Ashrah
Darrius & Hotaru
Dairou
Havok
Kira & Kobra (Kabal's Minions)
Shujinko
Onaga (Dragon King, Final Boss)

Mortal Kombat- Armageddon:
Taven (New Main Hero)
Daegon (New Villain)

Mortal Kombat (2011):
Cyber Sub-Zero (Alternate Character)

Mortal Kombat X:
Cassie Cage (Young Soldier)
Jacqui Briggs (Cassie's Friend, Jax's Daughter)
Kung Jin (Archer Monk)
Takeda (Special Forces Guy)
Kotal Kahn (Ruler of Outworld)
D'Vorah (Evil Bug Vizier)
Erron Black (Outworld Cowboy)
Triborg (Combination Cyborg)
Ferra & Torr (Symbiotic Outworld Barbarians)
Jason Voorhees (Teen-Murderer)
Freddy Krueger (Nightmare Warrior)
Alien (Alien)
Leatherface (Ed Gein Imposter)
Tremor (Bronze Ninja)

THE POSTING ORDER:
-Mortal Kombat presents an unusual challenge in terms of posting guys- a rather large glut of interesting characters, but a HUGE assortment of nobodies. And many of the characters are "married" to each other, story-wise, so you're better off posting them in clusters. Posting them in chronological order isn't a great idea, as the middle games are REALLY dire for "characters that people care about". Similarly, some characters are introduced in MK X that are the children or relatives of characters from earlier games. So my typical "Post one big guy, then two lame guys" set-up isn't REALLY that effective at times. So what I'll do is split guys up into various "Factions", which allows me to post them in groups of related characters.

The Groups:
SHAOLIN MONKS: The Shaolin Monks and their friends & allies.
EARTHREALM DEFENDERS: The assorted forces of humanity, defending Earthrealm.
THE LIN KUEI: Mortal Kombat's ridiculously-huge assortment of palette-swapped ninjas.
OUTWORLD: Shao Kahn's evil, otherdimensional forces.
COPS & ROBBERS: Sonya Blade's "Special Forces" agents, their allies, and their enemies in various criminal factions.
THE HORROR GUYS: The horror movie guys thrown into MK X.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:27 pm Heh. And the less said about the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers cartoons, the better...
I loved 'Streetfighter 2: The Animated Movie', it was one of the few films I bought again when switching from VHS to DVD.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Bladewind

Re: The Roster

Post by Bladewind »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:35 pm that effective at times. So what I'll do is split guys up into various "Factions", which allows me to post them in groups of related characters.
The Groups:
SHAOLIN MONKS: The Shaolin Monks and their friends & allies.
EARTHREALM DEFENDERS: The assorted forces of humanity, defending Earthrealm.
THE LIN KUEI: Mortal Kombat's ridiculously-huge assortment of palette-swapped ninjas.
OUTWORLD: Shao Kahn's evil, otherdimensional forces.
COPS & ROBBERS: Sonya Blade's "Special Forces" agents, their allies, and their enemies in various criminal factions.
THE HORROR GUYS: The horror movie guys thrown into MK X.
I love your sub-names/ nick name/ descriptions.

And is it wrong that I read COPS & JOBBERS ?
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Jabroniville

Liu Kang

Post by Jabroniville »

LIU KANG
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat
Total Appearances: MK 1-4, MK: Deception, MK: Annihilation, MK 2011, MK X, MK vs. DC Universe (all but MK: Deadly Alliance)
Role: The Hero, The Ryu (ie. Well-Balanced Fighter), Bruce Lee Klone
PL 10 (145)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletiks 5 (+8)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 11 (+12)
Expertise (Arkane Lore) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 5 (+17)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Kombat (Fireball) 5 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed 2), Improved Kritical (Fireball), Improved Kritical (Bicycle Kick), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Kunning Fighter (Attack Bonus to Feint), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Takedown

Powers:
"Dragon Fire" Blast 4 (Feats: Triggered- Proximity) (Diminished Range -1) (8) -- [12]
  • AE: "Bicycle Kick" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (3)
  • AE: "Parry" Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Indirect) (1)
  • AE: "Yin" Healing 4 (Flaws: Limited to Self) (4)
  • AE: "Yang" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Features 2: Uses Tons of New Moves as Finishing Attacks [2]
"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Dances While a Disco Ball Spins)
"Friendship!!" (Makes a Shadow Puppet of the MK Dragon Logo)
"Animality: Transforms to Dragon & Bites Enemy in Half"
"Uppercuts Him and Leaves Him Alive"
"Burns Alive" (lots of forms of this- fireball, burning touch, etc.)
"Squashes With Arcade Machine"
"Possesses Enemy and has them Rip Off Their Own Head"
"Throw Into the Air & Blow Up"
"Punches Off Head & Ninja-Kicks It as an Explosive Into The Headless Corpse"
"Tears Off Arms and Beats Opponent to Death With Them"
"Head-Squashing Hand-Clap"
"Exploding Punch"
"Foot Stomp Through Stomach"
"Breaks All Limbs & Neck"
"Punches a Hole Through Stomach"

Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Yang +15 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Dragon Fire +13 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +9

Komplications:
Responsibility (Earth's Champion)- Liu Kang won the first four Mortal Kombat tournaments of the modern era- it is up to him to defeat Shao Kahn and his minions.
Responsibility (Shaolin Monk)- Monks are forbidden from committing murder, but by Mortal Kombat II, Liu would kill guys just like anyone else, because he's now a "renegade", not beholden to all Monk-ish beliefs.
Relationship (Princess Kitana)- The two are paired up romantically following the films and Mortal Kombat 4.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 18 (145)

-The first of my Mortal Kombat builds is the most generic of them all. Even back THEN, fighting game developers had few original ideas about who the main character should be, so they stuck the most generic, boring-looking and easy-to-play-as fellow in the game as the main guy (ie. he who the plot would revolve around, have tons of friends allied only to him, and would get the "he won the last tournament" blurb in sequels). Think of Street Fighters's Ryu, Virtua Fighter's Akira, Fatal Fury's Andy (okay Terry is the more main character, and is more stand-out), Art of Fighting's Ryo, Toshinden's Eiji, etc.

-A totally by-the-book monk, Liu Kang is a Bruce Lee Clone, with standard high-pitched wails, squeals, and rapid-attack moves. The most typical "Kung Fu Movie Protagonist", right down to his headband and black pants, he is said to have won the first FOUR tournaments, which is an unprecedented set of wins. A Shaolin Monk tasked with defending Earthrealm in the sacred "Mortal Kombat" tournament, he beats Goro, Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn and others, generally being seen as the leader of Earth's forces. In the first game, he was the only fighter without a trademark Fatality, but the sequels introduced them- Shaolin Monks had strict rules against committing murder, but Kang was no longer a part of them, having seen too much in his fight to save his homeworld.

-Several games in, the developers callously killed him off and brought him back as an evil zombie under villain control, but fan backlash was pretty big (probably). It didn't help that every Mortal Kombat game after the second one was considered pretty forgettable (in my own biased opinion based off of the opinions of others, of course :)), and we were just mollified by the big Fatalities and brutal moves and blood. He was eventually brought back, and in 2011, he was returned to the status of Main Character.

-Despite that, they killed him off at the end of the Story Mode, accidentally slain by Raiden after a misunderstanding. Mortal Kombat X brings him in as one of Quan Chi's Revenants, willingly defending Shinnok, but he eventually becomes Emperor of Netherrealm, being corrupted by dark forces. There, he rules alongside Kitana in the post-credits scene.

-I actually liked Liu a lot better in the movie, where he was portrayed as a fighter who bailed on his clan to go to America, only to witness his brother's death (via a supernatural dream) because HE got stuck with the whole "Defender of Earthrealm" tag when Liu wussed out. Possessed with guilt, and now wanting sweet, bloody revenge, Liu Kang "Chosen One'd" his ass into beating the hell out of Shang Tsung and winning Mortal Kombat.

-A standard martial artist build, with a Fireball and Multiattack move thrown in- Liu Kang is set up as a PL 9.5 fighter of some repute, able to handle most "Street Fighter" characters on his own (he's explicitly the greatest fighter in the first four Mortal Kombat tournaments), and fits Shang-Chi levels as a warrior (though has less Advantages or Skills). Kang is fast and accurate, and can modify most of his caps, making him a dangerous opponent.

-The last two Alt-Effects I gave him are all from Mortal Kombat X- a way of boosting his regular attacks, and a way of healing himself. His "Soul Sphere" power acts like a standard Blast, but can be triggered to go off near an opponent, so I threw an extra Feat onto his original Blast.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I also really like the "variation" system that Mortal Kombat X introduced: Basically, each character has three different variants they can choose, giving them a small cosmetic change and some extra special moves depending on the variation. Like, Kitana has a "Mournful" variant where she can use Jade's staff, while the Xenomorph has a Tarkatan variation (coming from the Xenomorph tradition of them getting different forms depending on the host they were born from) where it can use their trademark wrist-blades, and a "Queen" variant where it can spawn alien eggs. Triborg, of course, is the most drastic, since his variations are Smoke, Sektor, and Cyrax, plus a hidden fourth one for Cyber Sub-Zero.