Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds (Kim Possible Done! Lady Punisher! Longshot! Mojo!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Corrigon wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:51 pm Regarding Luke Cage, in his original appearances, he could only lift around 3 tons making him weaker than Spider-Man.

During the 90s comic, he was subjected to the same treatment again making him a lot stronger and tougher.
Pretty much all Marvel heroes underwent something similar over the year. Originally, Ben Grimm could only lift 4-5 tons and Spidey was around the 1 ton benchmark.

Also they never said if they were metric or imperial tons.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:02 pm Pretty much all Marvel heroes underwent something similar over the year. Originally, Ben Grimm could only lift 4-5 tons and Spidey was around the 1 ton benchmark.

Also they never said if they were metric or imperial tons.
I'm pretty sure that, for Volstagg, it was tuns.
Jabroniville

Lockdown

Post by Jabroniville »

LOCKDOWN (Jomo Kimanye)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Salvador Larocca
First Appearance: Fantastic Four #17 (May 1999)
Role: VR Batman
Group Affiliations: None
PL 10 (158)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Law) 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+8)
Technology 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit 4 (Ruler of Shadow City), Equipment 6 (Night Cruiser- Flying Ship w/ Dimension-Hopping Capabilities), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 6, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Battle Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Protection 4 (4)
Immunity 1 (Poison) (1)
Concealment 10 (All Senses) (Flaws: Limited to Technology) (5)
-- (10 points)

"High-Tech Weaponry" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
"High-Frequency Screamer" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20) -- (22 points)
  • AE: "Neuron Disruptor" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
  • AE: "Anti-Flame Coagulant" Nullify Fire Powers 10 (Extras: Ranged) (20)
"Nerve-Cluster Targetting" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated) (Extras: Extra Condition) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Nerve Cluster Targetting +12 (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Screamer +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Neuron Disruptor +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4 (+8 Battlesuit), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)
Responsibility (Shadow City)- Lockdown considers himself the defender of his people's VR world.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 10 (158)

-Lockdown is a one-off from Chris Claremont's Fantastic Four run. Because it's Claremont, his new villain immediately defeated the entire FF in his debut, imprisoning them in his "Shadow City"- a Virtual Reality environment set up because his Negative Zone planet's people were stuck elsewhere in stasis, and needed something for their mental health. Eventually, the FF staged a massive break-out and escaped for good. The character reappeared only once; in the 2000s Contest of Champions, where he helped Iron Man and Psylocke escape The Brood, who were forcing all the heroes to fight.

-Lockdown is a Gadgeteer Hero who also uses one of those fighting styles that works around "Nerve Clusters", which is an annoying bit of martial arts theory that kind of infected a lot of comics in the 1990s, because writers thought it was cool when Frank Miller wrote Batman doing it. So the theory goes that striking certain nerves can incapacitate your foe instantly and easily. It doesn't actually work in real life because you rarely have an unobstructed view of your targets, and even if your opponent is fighting back, there's no way you're going to just drop them out so easily by hitting an arm or a thigh. Like... their ARE nerve endings that hurt like hell when hit, but you don't just flop like a fish after a few finger pokes.

-No problem, though- outlandish stuff like that works in Avatar with Ty Lee and the Equalists, because of that setting's mystical basis. But... in comics it's randomly applied to ANYONE being able to do it if they're skilled enough, but... haphazardly. Guys can do it until they can't. Typically it only works against Mooks. And then stuff like this story features Lockdown being able to do it to THE THING, a man MADE OF ROCKS, just because it's cooler that way. It's honestly meant more for a setting that either uses it like a magic power (ie. an Iron Fist-level technique) or has consistent writing staff (ie. a creator-owned property or a TV show with a small set of producers/showrunners).

-The obvious Batman analog bits aren't as notable when reading the text, though I figured it out when reading about his younger sidekick, Rosetta Stone. But the imagery REALLY makes it clear, with this dude's flowing cape and "Batman Stances" on everything.

-In any case, Lockdown focuses around his gadgets and Nerve-Targetting, all of which has the same result- leaving tough targets incapacitated quickly and by affecting their Fortitude instead of Toughness. Granted, 90% of characters have higher Fort than Toughness, and a better chance of saving from Afflictions (DC 10 vs 15 as a baseline), but OH WELL. He's good enough to drop the FF using New Character Stink, but I'm sticking him at PL 10, in part because his status as being a part of a virtual reality world means that he actually CHEATS THE SYSTEM to give him the upper hand. He is said to be "practically unbeatable".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

The whole Nerve Cluster / Pressure Point thing is actually older than that. Back in the 1920s, several pulp heroes were using them to take out opponents. The Spider several times would target nerve points to instantly take out opponents with a single hit, though he often had to use surprise in order to do so.

More famous was Doc Savage, who basically had his own version of the Vulcan Neck Pinch, where Doc could grab the base of your neck and squeeze it in such a way that you would be paralyzed but still conscious, rendered unconscious, etc. And he could "lock" you that way so that either he had to personally undo it, you needed to wait several hours, or needed some strong drugs. But with Doc Savage, the idea was that he was the world's greatest doctor, so he had discovered some means unknown to science.

And then the kids that read those pulps grew up to write comics and there you go.

Also, weirdly enough, Jim Starlin had Gamora use pressure points to KO Ben during Infinity Crusade.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I had wondered why this new Lockdown guy was in the Contest of Champions 2, until now, where its revealed that Claremont wrote both CoC2 and his origin story.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Rosetta Stone

Post by Jabroniville »

ROSETTA STONE (Nefer Neith Sinue)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Salvador Larocca
First Appearance: Fantastic Four #18 (June 1999)
Role: VR Robin

-Lockdown's sidekick, Rosetta Stone is a smaller girl, but is apparently the brains of the operation, having built most of the technology used by her boss- she also helped Kitty Pryde save the day in Contest of Champions, taking over a ship's command center to return the assembled heroes to Earth. She is likely less savvy, however, having had her hairpin purloined by Reed Richards while he distracted her with a kiss (!!)- Lockdown figured it out, but she was surprised.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Of course, when I think Pressure Point-based martial arts in fiction, my mind usually jumps to Fist of the North Star, where they take it to the point that pressing the right pressure points just makes people straight up explode.

Also, did the Sailor Moon SuperS blu-ray come out yet? I haven't heard much on it lately.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:35 pm The whole Nerve Cluster / Pressure Point thing is actually older than that. Back in the 1920s, several pulp heroes were using them to take out opponents. The Spider several times would target nerve points to instantly take out opponents with a single hit, though he often had to use surprise in order to do so.

More famous was Doc Savage, who basically had his own version of the Vulcan Neck Pinch, where Doc could grab the base of your neck and squeeze it in such a way that you would be paralyzed but still conscious, rendered unconscious, etc. And he could "lock" you that way so that either he had to personally undo it, you needed to wait several hours, or needed some strong drugs. But with Doc Savage, the idea was that he was the world's greatest doctor, so he had discovered some means unknown to science.

And then the kids that read those pulps grew up to write comics and there you go.

Also, weirdly enough, Jim Starlin had Gamora use pressure points to KO Ben during Infinity Crusade.
Ohhhhh yeah, stuff like the Vulcan Nerve Pinch is probably dragged from the same sources. I had no idea they went back that far. Yeah, that makes sense.

Though I notice it being a particularly big thing in the comics post-Dark Knight Returns. None of my comics set in an earlier time period seem to feature such a thing. Was it around in the Iron Fist stuff?

I had wondered why this new Lockdown guy was in the Contest of Champions 2, until now, where its revealed that Claremont wrote both CoC2 and his origin story.
LOL- I was wondering why any writer bothered to remember him- now I know. Wikipedia never lists "who wrote the follow-up". But I've noticed that dozens of times since I've started doing this thread- guys who wrote Marvel Team-Up or Marvel Two-In-One were prone to using their one-off creations from that in later books.

To be honest, I kind of prefer that. It gives the one-off goons a tad more longevity, so they aren't just... one-offs.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:11 pm Of course, when I think Pressure Point-based martial arts in fiction, my mind usually jumps to Fist of the North Star, where they take it to the point that pressing the right pressure points just makes people straight up explode.

Also, did the Sailor Moon SuperS blu-ray come out yet? I haven't heard much on it lately.
Yeppers- got the second half in my Christmas loot this year :). Though I never start watching the season until I have both halves, fearing the other won't be released in time. I was gonna start the first half earlier this month when I saw the second part in stores, but I got busy with other stuff (okay, watching Kim Possible DVDs- THIS THREAD IS WORK, DAMMIT :P!!).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Dr. Drakken! Shego! Team Go! Senior Senior Sr. & Jr.!)

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:42 am Man, whoever created those characters must have had quite a bit of knowlege of SHIELD, since the Director/Gemini thing seems to directly parody the Nick Fury/Scorpio thing (villain named after a Zodiac sign is actually the brother of the director)
Haha, holy crap- TOTALLY missed that link. Damn, that writer WAS a major comics fan, I guess!
Jabroniville

Lectronn

Post by Jabroniville »

LECTRONN (Tommy Samuels)
Created By:
Sholly Fisch & James Fry III
First Appearance: Marvel Age #49 (April 1987)
Role: Forgotten Villain
PL 7 (97)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Electron Blasts 8 (Feats: Split) [17]
"Lowering His Atomic Weight" Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
"Atomic-Powered Strength" Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Electron Blast +5 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Amy Jo- Wife)- Lectronn's wife was transformed by aliens, and he re-trains himself in order to rescue her.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 7 (97)

-Lectronn appeared in the anthology/advertising book Marvel Age- he was a polio patient who'd been confined to a wheelchair, but was given great power by a mysterious alien. He manages to defeat some thieves, but in the process, seriously injures them by accident. He thus learns the age-old lesson, "With great power, there must come great responsibility". And then the character never showed up in another book. Marvunapp has some people going back and forth in obsessive detail about the guy (god I love that site), suggesting that he's inspired by a French superhero called Photonik, who has a very similar costume with the same spikey mask-things- the artist, James Fry III, says that he possibly unintentionally-copied the look after seeing one of the French comics lying around the office (this happens a LOT to artists, by the way- I once created an AWESOME new Cowgirl-Themed Superhero with blue stars on a white costume, only to realize that my costume was 100% copied from Johnny Haradrim).

-Lectronn is actually the result of a Sentry-like office prank at Marvel, where they claimed that Lectronn was created in the 1970s by legendary artist "Jack Fury". Fry was hired on because he was good at mimicking other styles (such as the "Seventies Style" used for this strip), and many aspects of the hero- like flying by LOWERING HIS ATOMIC WEIGHT- was designed to poke fun at old comics things like "Scientific explanations that make no damn sense". They used the same article to claim that MC Escher once drew an issue of Avengers, and they were shocked to discover that this actually drove up back issue sales of that one tale! Even though they'd put a disclaimer decrying their own article as a fake!

-Until, of course, some modern writers used him in a post-Civil War thing (that event, if nothing else, gave writers the excuse to dig up every obscure character they could find out of the woodwork- "they show up in Civil War: Battle Damage Report" is basically on an endless loop with many of my builds), where it's revealed that he's gotten married and had twins. His wife is transformed and taken away by aliens, and he has to re-train himself in order to rescue her. He appears in the background of many of the actual Civil War issues, being about the most random, obscure character there.

-Lectronn has "Atomic-Powered Strength" and some generic Flying Blaster stuff, but isn't a very powerful, nor experienced, super-hero.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 pm
Ares wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:35 pm The whole Nerve Cluster / Pressure Point thing is actually older than that. Back in the 1920s, several pulp heroes were using them to take out opponents. The Spider several times would target nerve points to instantly take out opponents with a single hit, though he often had to use surprise in order to do so.

Ohhhhh yeah, stuff like the Vulcan Nerve Pinch is probably dragged from the same sources. I had no idea they went back that far. Yeah, that makes sense.

Though I notice it being a particularly big thing in the comics post-Dark Knight Returns. None of my comics set in an earlier time period seem to feature such a thing. Was it around in the Iron Fist stuff?
It did pop up in the 70s martial arts stuff like Shang Chi, Iron Fist, Richard Dragon and occasionally even that era Batman. Pulp-inspired fiction like Remo Williams: The Destroyer also made heavy use of it. And it was also the basis for 60s guys like Karate Kid and Karnak's weak point detection.

But while it's always been there, you aren't wrong that Frank Miller's DKR was likely what made it mainstream and much more regular. Before it was a sign of A-List martial arts skill. Then everyone from Black Widow to Xena to Superman was using them.

Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Not only is Lectron a forgotten villain, for me, he is an unheard of villain! Nope, never heard of him! :shock:
Hoid

Re: Lectronn

Post by Hoid »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:30 am Image

LECTRONN (Tommy Samuels)
Created By:
Sholly Fisch & James Fry III
First Appearance: Marvel Age #49 (April 1987)
Role: Forgotten Villain
PL 7 (97)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Electron Blasts 8 (Feats: Split) [17]
"Lowering His Atomic Weight" Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
"Atomic-Powered Strength" Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Electron Blast +5 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Amy Jo- Wife)- Lectronn's wife was transformed by aliens, and he re-trains himself in order to rescue her.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 7 (97)

-Lectronn appeared in the anthology/advertising book Marvel Age- he was a polio patient who'd been confined to a wheelchair, but was given great power by a mysterious alien. He manages to defeat some thieves, but in the process, seriously injures them by accident. He thus learns the age-old lesson, "With great power, there must come great responsibility". And then the character never showed up in another book. Marvunapp has some people going back and forth in obsessive detail about the guy (god I love that site), suggesting that he's inspired by a French superhero called Photonik, who has a very similar costume with the same spikey mask-things- the artist, James Fry III, says that he possibly unintentionally-copied the look after seeing one of the French comics lying around the office (this happens a LOT to artists, by the way- I once created an AWESOME new Cowgirl-Themed Superhero with blue stars on a white costume, only to realize that my costume was 100% copied from Johnny Haradrim).

-Lectronn is actually the result of a Sentry-like office prank at Marvel, where they claimed that Lectronn was created in the 1970s by legendary artist "Jack Fury". Fry was hired on because he was good at mimicking other styles (such as the "Seventies Style" used for this strip), and many aspects of the hero- like flying by LOWERING HIS ATOMIC WEIGHT- was designed to poke fun at old comics things like "Scientific explanations that make no damn sense". They used the same article to claim that MC Escher once drew an issue of Avengers, and they were shocked to discover that this actually drove up back issue sales of that one tale! Even though they'd put a disclaimer decrying their own article as a fake!

-Until, of course, some modern writers used him in a post-Civil War thing (that event, if nothing else, gave writers the excuse to dig up every obscure character they could find out of the woodwork- "they show up in Civil War: Battle Damage Report" is basically on an endless loop with many of my builds), where it's revealed that he's gotten married and had twins. His wife is transformed and taken away by aliens, and he has to re-train himself in order to rescue her. He appears in the background of many of the actual Civil War issues, being about the most random, obscure character there.

-Lectronn has "Atomic-Powered Strength" and some generic Flying Blaster stuff, but isn't a very powerful, nor experienced, super-hero.
This is so silly it transcends itself and becomes...art
Jabroniville

Lynx

Post by Jabroniville »

LYNX (Real Name Unknown, aka Nancy Rushman)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Dennis Jensen
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #123 (March 1993)
Group Affiliations: Seraph's Angels
Role: Forgotten Character
PL 8 (64)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Expertise (Survival) 10 (+9)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 8 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Powers:
"The Panacea Drug" Immunity 1 (Disease) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Feral)- Lynx cannot speak to people... until she could.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 13 (64)

-Yet another forgotten Marvel Comics Presents character, Lynx was created by a then-new Scott Lobdell, who was about to take over the Uncanny X-Men book. She was born without an immune system, and raised in a bubble-like germ-free environment, and deliberately kept from human contact by a secretive organization called "They". This of course resulted in a feral wild-child, and some German scientist decided she'd be a perfect subject for his "Panacea" drug, which cures all known forms of disease. Then, suddenly plagued with guilt over the costs of ending all disease, the scientist burned his lab down, killing himself in the process- Lynx is rescued by Wolverine, who was adventuring close by.

-Lynx was hunted by The Courier, another German agent, and finally kidnapped by Peregrine, the French superhero, who was a mercenary working for Imus Champion, who was dying of a rare disease and wanted to use Lynx for the cure. However, Champion then turned on Peregrine, sending a group of agents to kill him- he's defended by Courier, Wolverine and an arriving Black Widow. Lynx is finally rescued, with Wolverine bringing her to a safehouse. It's discovered that S.H.I.E.L.D., being evil, injected Lynx with a personality that Black Widow once used (... what?), with Lynx now thinking she was Wolverine's lover. Logan felt guilty over this, and got rid of the shots that gave her the personality, causing her to revert to being feral.

-Finally, all of the assembled characters had to deal with They, one of Marvel's 90 "Secret Conspiracies", who had created the cure for Panacea, because they wanted a biological weapon with which to extort the world powers- Lynx consumed it, thus preventing its use. Wolverine sent the feral child into the woods, hoping she'd live her life in peace. Man... these MCP stories are a MESS. The fact that they're 18 parts and thus require multiple cliffhangers means that they just go all over the place, involving multiple characters, changing associations (Courier fights Logan, but then takes his side?), betrayals (Champion fighting Peregrine), and more. There are like nine different VILLAINS in this tale! Imus Champion is a big part of it, but then vanishes halfway through!

-Many, MANY years later, a Daniel Acuna-drawn story sees a lot of Wolverine's exes come back to haunt him- Lynx is included in their number. She is the getaway driver... which makes me think that this writer didn't read the old story of the feral wild-child.

-Lynx has no innate super-powers and limited skills, being totally feral. This at least makes her a savage fighter, and apparently a pretty good survivalist. She's PL 7 offensively, and PL 8 defensively, being very scrappy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.