OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

Post by Arkrite »

Well, time to throw my hat in the ring.

The Hook:
The village of Orlane is dying. Once a small and thriving community, Orlane has become a maze of locked doors and frightened faces. Strangers are shunned, trade has withered. Rumors flourish, growing wilder with each retelling. Terrified peasants flee their homes, abandoning their farms with no explanation.

Others simply disappear...

No one seems to know the cause of the decay—why are there no clues? Who skulks through the twisted shadows of the night? Who or what is behind the doom that has overtaken the village? It will take a brave and skillful band of adventurers to solve the dark riddle of Orlane.

The Cast:
Aldan Edgetrimmer (Rogue) [Elf (High Elf)] - Flynnarrel
Jessica Bright (Cleric) [Human] - Plan b
Georgia Fiddler (Bard) [Tiefling] - stavaros_the_arcane
Zasio Blackthorn (Ranger) [Half-Elf] - TattooedMan
Tyragorn (Paladin)[Human (Kobold!)] - Shock

Bigger map here.

27 - Grove of Stately Elms
26 - Millhouse
25 - The Boozy Badger
20 - Vilma Merridie's house
18 - Farmhouse with suspicious matron and three sons
17 - Decrepit Farmhouse and collapsed barn
16 - Abandoned inn (Foaming Mug Inn)
15 - Blacksmith's Shop
14 - Furniture shop
13 - Rundown Farmhouse
11 - Tailor Shop
12 - Village Store
10 - Mayor's House
9 - Small Cottage (elves)
8 - Livery Stable
7 - Jeweler/Money Changer
6 - Golden Grain Inn
5 - Weaver's House
4 - Dairy Farm
2 - Sturdy structure

Benefactor:
Jarrak of Blackmoore - Paladin of Pelor, once a great hero, now held back by a missing arm and leg.

Known Villagers:
Aelric - Blacksmith, Tyragorn's brother in law. Seemingly overcome by madness.
Ailla – Tyragorn’s sister, missing

Grover Ruskadal- Orlane's Constable

Zakarias Ormond - Mayor of Orlane
Karia Ormond - Mayor's wife
Travers - Grizzled bodyguard
Viric Ormond - Eldest son, adult
Zarren Ormond - Second eldest son, adult
Ella Ormond - Teenage daughter
Reli Ormond - Ten year old daughter

Belba Cralloon - Cook of the Boozy Badger, married to Ollwin
Ollwin Cralloon - Proprietor of the Boozy Badger, wine maker, married to Belba

Bertram Beswill - Proprietor of the Golden Grain Inn
Derek Desleigh - Aldan said that he remembers this man being an assassin, found lurking in the common room of the Golden Grain
Last edited by Arkrite on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:37 am, edited 13 times in total.
Arkrite

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Arkrite »

Recruiting until January 19th

System: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition
Player Count: 4
Style of Play: Roleplay, investigation, with a couple dungeon crawls
Allowed Content: Player's handbook

Character Creation: roll 4d6 drop the lowest, repeat six times
If this turns into something you believe is an unplayable character you can take the scores 15,14,13,12,10,8 (the "standard array") or do a 27 point "point buy".
These last two are equal, with the Standard Array costs 27 points is considered to be an average on what you'd get rolling the 4d6 drop the lowest.
Backstory: As this can help me rope you into the game, a little background won't hurt. Plot hooks, or character goals are nice.
Experience: 1st Level
Wealth: Standard.
Hitpoints/Health: Max at first level
Alignment: Alignment is kind of a joke, but to make this easier: Avoid evil.
It's not that evil characters can't be good, but they are generally used as an excuse for acting poorly towards the rest of the team.
Last edited by Arkrite on Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arkrite

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Arkrite »

What I'm trying to run:
What I envision when I think of D&D is a group of Heroes working to save the day.
You, the players, will be the heroes saving the day from the bad guys.
I'm not aiming for a high lethality game and as such I'll be avoiding "save or die" traps. That being said the game can, and will be challenging, and the dice can ruin everybody's day (especially if your name is TattooedMan).
My hope is that everybody makes it to the end, but please remember character deaths are always a possibility.

Leveling up will occur at certain points during the game as you overcome foes and uncover the mystery, so no need to track XP.

The game is self contained and will go from level 1 to level 3 or 4 by the end.
At this exact moment in time I don't plan on going past that. If we successfully make it to the end of the adventure we can revisit this.

Posts: I expect the players to post at least once a week. I don't expect posts over the weekend, as most people are busy with real life.
If you can't, please let us know in the OOC.
If you're stumped and don't know what to do, please let us know in the OOC. If nothing else it helps get us out of the "I'm waiting for you/you're waiting for me" infinite loop ;~)

In combat, since that can bog down games and slow things down, I would like a post within two days, be it IC or OOC, to try to keep things going at a good pace.

And my obligation is that I need to have at least one post a week on a Saturday.
I expect/hope to do more than that, but my failing as a GM has been writer's block, or just not knowing what to do next.

I don't think I can live up to Davies, TM, or Michuru in terms of being a GM, but I'm hoping that I can run a game where people can have some fun.
Last edited by Arkrite on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Setting: The setting is going to be pretty generic and vague at this point because
A) I find a lot of the existing settings to be a little intimidating due to the huge backstory and history
and
B) This way we can make up our own.

You want a generic tree hugging snobby elf? Cool.
A frozen wasteland dwelling barbarian horde of elves who view nature itself as a merciless death god while worshiping/ruled by a local dragon?
Could be fun.

In terms of the local area,
Orlane is a small farming village surrounded by, to no one's surprise, farms on most sides. To the West is the Dim Woods and the south leads into a swampland.
Though the Dim Woods was considered too dangerous to travel many years back, caravans finally cut a path through the woods. Outside of the woods a new town was created to take advantage of the caravan trail and the fertile farming land surrounding the road.
Things were starting to look up for the town with the route growing stronger every year.
Until recently. Recently the caravans have been coming less and less.

Orlane is very much a small fish in a big pond so things haven't been too noticeable until now, but it's starting to cost people money, and so people are starting to ask questions.

Orlene is about a week's travel from Hookhill which is another week's travel from the coast city of Ramelean.
It's just far enough to be in the middle of nowhere, but just close enough that our heroes could get there from a good distance away.

The local land seems to be made for farming with the soil being exceptionally good quality, resulting in large harvests.

The Dim Woods, however, are home to humanoids (goblins, hobgoblins, ogres) and the swamps to the south are known to hide other monsters. The town has fought off small raids from both the woods and the swamp in the past, though the monsters have taken to avoiding the town the last decade.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

A head's up: This is an old campaign from years and years ago.
Which means if you go searching for it you can accidentally discover the entire plot and story.

My suggestion is if you are interested in play and have questions, ask them here and I'll do my best to answer it.

Resources:
https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/D%26D_5th_Edition_Wikia
This can be helpful, has information on feats and backgrounds for people who don't have the books handy.

Submissions:

Zefalas (Warlock) [Human] - Camus
Scarf (Fighter) [Elf (wood)] - Doctor Malsyn
Jae'dherga "Jade" (Barbarian) [Half-Orc] - EpicEclipse
Aldan Edgetrimmer (Rogue) [Elf (High Elf)] - Flynnarrel
Jessica Bright (Cleric) [Human] - Plan b
Elwen (Monk) [Human] - RainOnTheSun
Georgia Fiddler (Bard) [Tiefling] - stavaros_the_arcane
Zasio Blackthorn (Ranger) [Half-Elf] - TattooedMan
Xialena (Ranger) [Human] - Thorpocalypse
Tyragorn (Paladin) [Human (Kobold?)] - Shock
Last edited by Arkrite on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Well count me interested. I have heard of this adventure before.

I'll start rolling up a character.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm interested if you're willing to put up with a longtime D&D veteran that's never played 5E
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Hi! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Point buy is definitely not allowed, right?

How are you planning on doing positioning in the game?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Camus

Post by Camus »

already buliding a character! I am thinking a human warlock with ties to nature, like the fey pact used to be. Raised by elves, he now wonders the land searching for amusement, and he just found something so odd in Orlane that begs investigating. He will be erratic, like lost in a dream of his own. Ethereal if you will.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Camus

Post by Camus »

http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=226262

I dont really like these rolls so I'll go for the standard heh.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Any restricted material like unearth arcana?

I have a mystic I had played in a home game, but work responsibilities made attending that game impossible, but mystic is still in play test I think, so only on urban arcana.

If no urban arcana though, I have other ideas, just want to know what is on the table in terms of allowed material.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:43 pm Well count me interested. I have heard of this adventure before.

I'll start rolling up a character.
Cool
Shock wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 pm I'm interested if you're willing to put up with a longtime D&D veteran that's never played 5E
Good news, all.
5E is probably the easiest edition so far to pick up.
It lacks a lot of the granularity of 3.5 or Pathfinder, but by proxy is much more new player friendly.
Or, in my case, old-player-who-hasn't-played-in-a-while friendly.
Spectrum wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:35 pm Point buy is definitely not allowed, right?

How are you planning on doing positioning in the game?
Okay, for question 1) You can use a 27 points for a point buy system. It gives you the same points you'd have for a standard array.
You get a chance at higher stats by rolling, but failing that everybody gets an equal level of starting stats.

For question 2) If you mean how are we going to track position in combat, I'm most likely going to put up a grid map of the location and update it as the players and the monsters move.
If you have a better suggestion, please feel free to let me know.
Also if I misunderstood the question :lol:

Camus wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:25 pm He will be erratic, like lost in a dream of his own. Ethereal if you will.
Could be interesting, though I hesitate at "LOL, random!" style characters.
Everything in moderation! :D
EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 am Any restricted material like unearth arcana?
I'm trying to stick to the player's handbook because that is what I have access to at the moment.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

PHB only? I'll need to think on it a little more. I think all my character have at least one element from other books lol.

The warlock paladin uses Hexblade, the eldritch knight uses booming blade, and the illusionist uses spellsinger xD
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

PHB-only, 4d6 rolls? Sounds interesting. I don't have any solid ideas right now, but I rolled some stats anyway, and I got this. They're above average stats, so I'll probably make a class that needs more than a couple good stats to work well. A paladin or a monk, maybe.
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Stat roll:
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 4, 5, 5] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 3, 2, 6] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 1, 5, 5] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 1, 6, 2] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 1, 1, 6] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 3, 4, 5] = 12

Well that's medicore, i'm gonna have think on wheather to keep or point buy and submit a cleric.

Which Pantheon of gods we using?