OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Camus

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Camus »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 am
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:43 pm Well count me interested. I have heard of this adventure before.

I'll start rolling up a character.
Cool
Shock wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 pm I'm interested if you're willing to put up with a longtime D&D veteran that's never played 5E
Good news, all.
5E is probably the easiest edition so far to pick up.
It lacks a lot of the granularity of 3.5 or Pathfinder, but by proxy is much more new player friendly.
Or, in my case, old-player-who-hasn't-played-in-a-while friendly.
Spectrum wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:35 pm Point buy is definitely not allowed, right?

How are you planning on doing positioning in the game?
Okay, for question 1) You can use a 27 points for a point buy system. It gives you the same points you'd have for a standard array.
You get a chance at higher stats by rolling, but failing that everybody gets an equal level of starting stats.

For question 2) If you mean how are we going to track position in combat, I'm most likely going to put up a grid map of the location and update it as the players and the monsters move.
If you have a better suggestion, please feel free to let me know.
Also if I misunderstood the question :lol:

Camus wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:25 pm He will be erratic, like lost in a dream of his own. Ethereal if you will.
Could be interesting, though I hesitate at "LOL, random!" style characters.
Everything in moderation! :D
EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 am Any restricted material like unearth arcana?
I'm trying to stick to the player's handbook because that is what I have access to at the moment.
Oh don't worry, perhaps I didn't translate well what I meant, it's not random, he just have concentration issues
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Arkrite

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Arkrite »

Plan b wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:11 pm Which Pantheon of gods we using?
We haven't limited the game to any pantheon at this point, and in my opinion it's entirely possible multiple pantheons are in existence in the world.
So it's not going to be an issue if we have one a cleric of the Greyhawk pantheon running around with a Paladin of Athena.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Cool, I may take a Celtic God. Oghma for example.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 am
Spectrum wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:35 pm Point buy is definitely not allowed, right?

How are you planning on doing positioning in the game?
Okay, for question 1) You can use a 27 points for a point buy system. It gives you the same points you'd have for a standard array.
You get a chance at higher stats by rolling, but failing that everybody gets an equal level of starting stats.

For question 2) If you mean how are we going to track position in combat, I'm most likely going to put up a grid map of the location and update it as the players and the monsters move.
If you have a better suggestion, please feel free to let me know.
Also if I misunderstood the question :lol:
Thanks for the quick answer. That definitely answered the question.

I'm thinking of bringing back my big boisterous b..warven bar brawling barbarian.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Here's my Stat numbers:http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.p ... id=226340

They seem a bit better than the standard stat block so I'll stick with them.
As for what class, maybe a rogue? I haven't tried out one of them.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

A 5e game! I've been wanting to play that again. I have some ideas, but first... let's take a crack at the dice.

13, 16, 10, 7 13, 12

...Standard numbers it is then! (15,14,13,12,10,8)
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'm thinking... A rugged desert elf warrior who's been living in exile for the last century or two, stripped of his name by the elders of his people for crimes inscribed upon his flesh. Not a big talker, he's a grouch of an elf that responds to the moniker of 'Scarf', and is mostly concerned with getting jobs done over dealing with the frivolous.

So... All in all, TN-LN Elf, either a Fighter of a Barbarian.
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

Zefalas

Zefalas's parents were travelling merchants, that had a gruesome end at the hand on marauding goblins as they were crossing the Withered Meadow, a strange and sometimes otherworldly place. An elvish patrol from the nearby woods, altered by the confrontation between the caravan and the goblins found the lone child as the only survivor. There was something about the child that was strange so they took it back to the woods.
There, Zefalas was given a foster father, a lonely elven druid who raised the kid in the ways of nature. Zefalas however always felt attracted to the meadow near the woods, but his foster father had warned him of mischievous and sometimes cruel fey creatures that inhabited the plains.
His feet always taking him faster and farther than they should, took Zefalas to the meadow, and there, where his parents' tomb was, the King of the Withered Meadow Manifested himself. The king showed the young Zefalas of the place that was meant to be his home, of his people and the village of Orlane, where his parents were returning that fateful day. The visions of the village suddenly turned red and black. The Fey King told Zefalas of a hidden evil haunting the village, and that it would soon be no more. The druid apprentice wished to know about this place and save it, and so struck a deal with the Fey King. The Fey King would bestow the powers of the fey upon him, so he could save his village, and Zefalas would abandon the elves and worship him instead. However, the fey are tricky beings. With the power granted to him it also came a sense of wonder and wander, and a general detachment with his mortal feelings. Zefalas didn't even say goodbye when he departed the elvish groove. He didn't even hurry to the village, spending years on the road, indulging his now prodigious curiosity.
Eventually, however, all the streams find their way to the ocean, and so did Zefalas arrived to Orlane

Human (variant)
Class: Warlock
Background: Folk Hero
Languages: Common, Elvish
Abilities (15,14,13,12,10,8)
Str 8: -1
Dex 13+1: +2
Con 14: +2
Int 12: +1
Wis 10: +0
Cha 15+1: +3

HP: 10
AC: 13(+2dex+1light leather)
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma

Class features:
Otherworldly Patron (Fey King of the Withered Meadow), Pact Magic. Proficiency bonus +2

Skills: Animal Handling (background), Survival (background), Arcana (class), Nature (class), Perception (race)

Tool Proficiencies: Bower artisantools, vehicles (land)

Feats: Lucky

Spells: Eldritch blast, Prestidigitation, Hellish rebuke, protection from evil

Equipment
Starting: Spear, arcane focus (Orb), scholar’s pack, Leather armor, Shortbow, Arrows (20), two daggers, A set of artisan’s tools (bower), a shovel, an iron pot, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp
Bought (10 gp starting gold spent on that): Explorer’s Pack
Last edited by Camus on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I'd love to see what Arkrite does with a game! I've not had much 5E experience but I've had some.

We'll see what I can come up with.

[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=226401]stats: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 6, 1, 4] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 6, 4, 2] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 5, 5, 5] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 3, 4, 5] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 3, 5, 2] = 10
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 4, 6, 2] = 14

I'm currently thinking a stout halfling rogue.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Camus wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:29 am Zefalas
Don't have my book at the moment, my wife stole it.
So on first (bookless) pass Zafalas looks okay, but in regards to the background and the feat you selected they're from a third party book. At the moment we're trying to keep things limited to what's available in the Player's Hand Book.

In other news, my innate ability to get names wrong changed his name to Zalfas in my head for some reason. I'm going to randomly blame New Years for this, and not my personal failing like it really is. :D
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Scarf
Race: Elf ({Wood} Desert)
Class: Fighter
Background: Outlander (Exile)
Alignment: LN
Sex: Male
Height: 5'11
Weight: 180
Languages: Common, Elvish(Shael Dialect), Giant
Religion: Tribal (The Withered Tree)
Proficiency: Longbows, Shortbows, Longswords, Shortswords, All Armor, Shields, Simple, Martial, Horn

Personality: Silent is the Withered Tree, but watchful and ready is he. Taunt not the one for whom keeps his feet firmly in the ground, ask not of what shouldn't be known. Within the quiet, an embrace of peace and companionship is found.
Ideals: For as long as a word is given, to break is to shatter one's voice and to never be spoken with again. Yet speak promptly when you do, for the Withered Tree grows ever fragile with bated breath.
Bonds: Friendless once, to receive companionship under the branches of the Withered Tree is to be blessed. The bonds grow ever stronger with tempered resolved, so long as each hand grasps the other firmly.
Flaws: Seek all that glitters to his heart's content, revel in that which splashes upon the blade, sully the years spent once under the canopy of the Withered Tree.

Hailing from an outland known as The Shael and born to a tribal society of Desert Elves, the man known today simply as Scarf has been on the road for a long time. Having been stripped of his name and his flesh marked with his crimes, he is an elf who lives in exile of his people without a hope of ever returning to bask under the sun of his homeland. Whatever it was he actually did, he refuses to say, insisting instead for others to focus not of the past but of the present times yet to come.

Gruff and rugged his skin may be, inside his heart lies a passionate and deeply religious soul. Of the little he speaks, it is usually in the form of proverbs with a heavy focus around an object of worship he refers to as 'The Withered Tree'. Presumably, this is part of the religious practices of his people's tribe.
HP: 12
AC: 16
Prof-Bon: +2
Speed: 35
Initiative: 2

Abilities

*Str 15: +2
-Athetlics: +4
Dex 14(12+2): +2
-Acrobatics: +4
*Con 14: +2
Int 10: 0
Wis 1413+1: +2
-Insight: +4
-Perception: +4
-Survival: +4
Cha 8: -1

Features and Abilities
Darkvison:
You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Fey Ancestry:
You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Trance:
Elves don’t need to sleep. Instead, they meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day.
Mask of the Wild:
You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.

Two Weapon-Fighting:
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.
Secondwind:
You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Feature: Wanderer
You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Equipment

Money: 7g
Combat: Chainmail, Scimitar (2), Handaxe (2)
Adventure: Staff, Hunting Trap, Traveler's Clothes, Lion Teeth Necklace, Belt Pouch (money), Backpack, Bedroll, Messkit, Tinderbox, Torches (10), Rations (10 Days), Waterskin, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Horn, A silver skull the size of a coin
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
------------
Camus

Post by Camus »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 am
Camus wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:29 am Zefalas
Don't have my book at the moment, my wife stole it.
So on first (bookless) pass Zafalas looks okay, but in regards to the background and the feat you selected they're from a third party book. At the moment we're trying to keep things limited to what's available in the Player's Hand Book.

In other news, my innate ability to get names wrong changed his name to Zalfas in my head for some reason. I'm going to randomly blame New Years for this, and not my personal failing like it really is. :D
Ah yes, the thing is that I don't have the book, I'm working with the sdr only, and they didn't publish any feat or background as free content
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

WotC hasn't released legal publishing of the rest of the feat list for the SRd unfortunately, so you'll either need to avoid using feats since they are 100% optional in 5E, or pick up a book or PDF for the list.
Camus

Post by Camus »

Backgrounds are not available either and I guess you need those. I could also take suggestions from you first worlders that earn dollars :)
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Does anyone have a D&D Beyond GM account?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.