OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shock

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Shock »

I have a basic rules question as well. The Combat section says only certain class abilities grant bonus actions and normally you won't have one. So how does a Paladin cast a spell that requires a bonus actions to cast without a class ability that gives one?
EpicEclipse

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by EpicEclipse »

What page is that?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Yeah, to my knowledge everyone gets a bonus action. Some classes let you do special things with it, but everyone gets it.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I found it. Yeah, what Flynn said is fairly accurate. Everyone gets a bonus action, but they can't actually use it for anything until they get a class feature or feat or magic item or something that gives them something to do with it.

They just say it a bit wierd in the book.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Thanks for the insight. Yes that is really terrible wording considering I read it completely reversed.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:25 pm Proficiency bonus plus stat, I think.
Arkrite wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:29 pm Yes, so proficiency at first level is +2 bonus.

So (most) ranged attacks would be Dex + Proficiency (+2)

I say most because some ranged attacks rely on strength while some melee weapons can rely on Dex for hitting/damaging.
Makes sense. Thanks.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Modified Aldan with more of a huckster background than criminal one. It better fits how I see myself playing him.

If a character does unfortunately die, Arkrite, what are your thoughts about how to handle that situation?
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

Added some more to my characters background Jessica , wanted to keep it fairly light as i'm only level 1.

Hate to say jinx it but if Jessica is selected i feel confident in my ability to keep a party alive with my 10+ heals.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Color me interested. I'll see if I can come up with something this weekend.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:16 pm If a character does unfortunately die, Arkrite, what are your thoughts about how to handle that situation?
Assuming a player dies we'll see if the player is interested in continuing with a new character.
The options being rolling up a new character (or possibly taking over an NPC), and figuring out how to work them into the game.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:

Abilities:
Strength 12 (+1)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Dexterity 16 (+3)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Intelligence 10 (+0)
Charisma 10 (+0)

HP: 31
AC: 14
Speed: 30 feet
Initiative: +3
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Base Melee Attack: +3 (finesse weapons +5)
Base Ranged Attack: +5

Proficiencies:
Armor: Light, Medium, Shields
Weapons: Simple, Martial
Tools: One gaming set (bone dice), Vehicles [land]
Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity
Skills:
  • Athletics +3
    Insight +5
    Perception +4
    Stealth +5
    Survival +2
Equipment:
Leather Armor (AC 11)
2 Short Swords (1D6 damage [+5 (finesse)])
Explorer’s Pack (backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days rations, waterskin, 50 ft hemp rope)
Longbow & Quiver of 20 arrows (1d8 damage)
Tears of The Moon: A silver sword crafted by a great elven blademaster. Twelve were made, forged in silver under moonlight, and given to great heroes to protect the kingdom. On it's blade ancient runes are carved into a poem in the honor of Sehanine Moonbow. +1 Short Sword, Silver.

Ranger Class Features:
Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting – When you engage in in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Favored Enemy (Orcs): - Zasio gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures of the chosen type (Orcs). He also has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track his favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them. When he gains this feature, he also learns the language that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

Favored Enemy (Goblins): - Zasio gains a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures of the chosen type (Goblins). He also has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track his favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them. When he gains this feature, he also learns the language that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

Natural Explorer (Swamp): When Zasio makes an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to his favored terrain, his proficiency bonus is doubled if he is using a skill that he is proficient in.
While traveling for an hour or more in his favored terrain, Zasio gains the following benefits:
  • •Difficult terrain doesn’t slow his group’s travel.
    •His group can’t become lost except by magical means.
    •Even when Zasio is engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), he remain alert to danger.
    •If Zasio is traveling alone, he can move stealthily at a normal pace.
    •When Zasio’s forages, he finds twice as much food as he normally would.
    •While tracking other creatures, Zasio also learns their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
Ranger Archetype; Hunter:
Colossus Slayer: Your tenacity can wear down the most potent foes. When you hit a creature with a weapon Attack, the creature takes an extra 1d8 damage if it’s below its hit point maximum. You can deal this extra damage only once per turn

Primeval Awareness:
He can use his action and expend one spell slot to focus his awareness on the region around him. For 1 minute per level of the spell slot expended, he can sense whether the following types of creatures are present within 1 mile of him (or within up to 6 miles if he is in his Favored terrain): Aberrations, Celestials, Dragons, Elementals, fey, Fiends, and Undead. This feature doesn't reveal the creatures' location or number.

Ranger Spells:
Spell Slots: 3 1st level
Spell Save DC: 12
Spell Attack: 4
  • * Goodberry - Up to ten berries appear in your hand and are infused with magic for the duration. A creature can use its action to eat one berry. Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day. The berries lose their potency if they have not been consumed within 24 hours of the casting of this spell.

* Hunter's Mark – You choose a creature you can see within range (90 ft) and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack, and you have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find it. If the target drops to 0 hit points before the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.

* Ensnaring Strike - The next time you hit a creature with a weapon attack before this spell ends, a writhing mass of thorny vines appears at the point of impact, and the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be restrained by the magical vines until the spell ends. A Large or larger creature has advantage on this saving throw. If the target succeeds on the save, the vines shrivel away.

While restrained by this spell, the target takes 1d6 piercing damage at the start of each of its turns. A creature restrained by the vines or one that can touch the creature can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. On a success, the target is freed.

Feature (Military Rank): Zasio possess a military rank from his career as a soldier. Soldiers loyal to your former military organization still recognize your authority and influence and defer to him if they are of lower rank. He can invoke his rank to exert influence over other soldiers and requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. You can also usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where your rank is recognized.

Half-Elf Racial Traits:
Darkvision: Zasio can see in dim light within 60 feet around as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. Zasio cannot discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Fey Ancestry: Zasio has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put him to sleep.

Race: Half-Elf
Class: Ranger
Background: Soldier (Specialty – Scout)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Sex: Male
Size: Medium
Height: 5’5”
Weight: 138 lbs
Eye Color: Golden
Notiable Features: Left arm covered in black tribal tattoos from shoulder to wrist. Scar over right eye that should have put eye out, but somehow did not.
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elvish, Goblin, Orc
Religion: Mielikki

Personality: I face problems head-on. A simple, direct solution is the best path to success.

Ideals: Independence. When people follow orders blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny.

Bonds: Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.

Flaws: I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.

Background: Sindarin Silverleaf grew up the son of a soldier, knowing that he was to follow in his father’s footsteps and once he was of the proper age he applied to the city of Agatha’s army; he then found himself assigned to the scouts as he displayed a natural aptitude for that kind of work and quickly began his training. After a few years Sindarin has risen in rank to the point where he was given command of a team of his own where he performed well enough to continue to rise up in the ranks, although his success never went to his head as Sindarin realized it was because his men performed well under his order that he was able to be successful and he never wielded his authority like a club and was respectful of his men for their own experiences and skills.

Unfortunately fate threw Sindarin a nasty curve; during a campaign against Orc barbarians, Sindarin’s unit was discovered while scouting ahead of the army and he and his men were captured and tortured for information. Sindarin broke under the experience and revealed all that he knew about the army’s actions over the next few days, allowing the Orc’s to plan an ambush that nearly won the war if the army had not added reinforcements the previous day that almost doubled their number. Sindarin was rescued shortly after, though the secret of his betrayal was never revealed (as the rest of his unit had died either during their capture or from the torture) and once he’d recovered from his injuries, he took the honorable discharge he was offered instead of a promotion in rank.

Haunted by his failure Sindarin packed together his few personal belongings and left Agatha to try and distance himself from the shame and dishonor he feels deep inside. Despite the inner demons he is running away from, Sindarun still uses his skills to help others as well as earn himself a wage, though he now uses the name Zasio Blackthorn to hide his identity from those he meets.

Dice Rolls:
Roll #1. _: 1D6 = [2] = 2
1D6 = [3] = 3
1D6 = [1] = 1
1D6 = [5] = 5
, lowest dropped leaves 10

Roll #2. _: 1D6 = [3] = 3
1D6 = [4] = 4
1D6 = [5] = 5
1D6 = [1] = 1
, lowest dropped leaves 12

Roll #3. _: 1D6 = [3] = 3
1D6 = [5] = 5
1D6 = [2] = 2
1D6 = [4] = 4

Roll #4. _: 1D6 = [4] = 4
1D6 = [1] = 1
1D6 = [6] = 6
1D6 = [6] = 6
, lowest dropped leaves 16

Roll #5. _: 1D6 = [4] = 4
1D6 = [5] = 5
1D6 = [4] = 4
1D6 = [3] = 3
, lowest dropped leaves 13

Roll #6. _: 1D6 = [1] = 1
1D6 = [6] = 6
1D6 = [4] = 4
1D6 = [2] = 2
OOC wrote: After talking about the build with Flynnarrel I decided to just go with base default of 15,14,13,12,10,8 assigned as follows;
Strength 12
Constitution 14 (13 plus racial bonus +1)
Dexterity 16 (15 plus racial bonus+1)
Wisdom 14
Intelligence 10
Charisma 10 (8 plus racial bonus +2)

--
2nd level:
Hit Point Increase: _: 1D10+0 = [9]+0 = 9 plus +2 Con mod
Fighting Style - Two-Weapon Fighting
Can now cast 1st level spells (2 total - Cure Wounds & Hunter's Mark).

--
3rd level:
Hit Point Increase: +8 (half hir dice +1 + Con modifier)
Can cast 3 1st level spells (Ensnaring Strike, Hunter's Mark, Goodberry).
Ranger Archetype: Hunter
Primeval Awareness:
Last edited by Tattooedman on Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:11 am, edited 25 times in total.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Only mistakes I can see is that you didn't add Str to his base melee attack bonus, and his dex to base ranged attack bonus. They are the same mod though, so pretty much you'll be rolling +3 on all your attacks. :)

As an aside, we have quite a few characters that are really good at foraging in the wilderness. LoL
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Well, if that's all I did then I'll call it a win for blind building.

As for foraging....it's a pretty useful skill for a party to have. :D
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Is this world mostly a literate or illiterate society?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Plan b wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 am Added some more to my characters background Jessica , wanted to keep it fairly light as i'm only level 1.

Hate to say jinx it but if Jessica is selected i feel confident in my ability to keep a party alive with my 10+ heals.
I'd love to hear how if Jessica was raised in a temple to Pelor she was initiated first into a druid order. Inquiring minds want to know. :)