Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ken

Re: Recruitment Thread (The Jabverse)- Recruiting CLOSED

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 am (26 toughness save, so Bruised)
Whale Shark takes a lurch back, and you hear the distinct crumple of something VERY solid beneath his costume.
Bruised? Or Dented? ;)
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Welcome aboard :)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I only re-rolled in Herc's case- if I miss 2-4 shots on Slyce, I'll re-roll and let YOU have an HP, too :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

OK, I was too busy for a while to roll a bunch of opposed checks, and had to check the rulebook a bunch (GOD that thing is laid out poorly), but we should be back in business. Sorry for the delay.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Skill mastery means she can make routine checks under pressure she should be able to do this one straight up with no roll if not then ill roll tommorow
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:49 am Skill mastery means she can make routine checks under pressure she should be able to do this one straight up with no roll if not then ill roll tommorow
I tried looking it up in various places, but there appears to be nothing concrete over what counts as a "routine check" and what doesn't, aside from the GM's say-so. However, Page 13 indicates Routine Checks under one heading, and Opposed Checks under the other- with "Deception" being included in opposed. I'm not sure if a character is ever supposed to be able to be bluffed without the bluffer actually rolling. It doesn't seem like that would be allowable... but then what's the purpose of Skill Mastery for that stat, and why doesn't it seem to indicate anywhere that you can or not?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Well the basic intent was to show how she can in effect ""lie like a rug"" at the drop of a hat pick your analogy basically. Shes so casual about it that she can do it with ease think Garak from DS9

My basic understanding of skill mastery in this context is it allows one to take 10 in effect on any roll where normally one wouldn't be able to such as under pressure. the GM can of course call for rolls if needed and SM doesn't preclude resisted checks of course so he does get an insight or will versus her check Of course she doesn't get a crit benefit and theres no time reduction for it. its an advantage that lets her do it at will simce shes essense taking 10

The person with the advantage is so good at the skill they can do it at will virtually just my understanding of the advantage as such as to why id say oversight on the edit

Catsi stories
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I think the Skill Mastery advantage is pretty clear about what counts as a routine check for skills under the advantage: anything. I made a lie-master once myself, at least, and that's how I expected the advantage to work, and that's how I'd use it in a game I ran. The defender still rolls their check, so it isn't completely static. It's your game and your call, of course.

By the way, Doctor Mercury is gonna have soooo many water-breathing candies ready by the time the team gets back... :D
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, if you think that's how it's supposed to be played, I guess we can do it as a "take 10" thing. It's just weird that Routine & Opposed Checks are put separately, and almost no rules exist for Routine checks.

The thing with the lab is unfortunate, in that it's kept Dr. M out of the game for like, two months. I'm not really sure how to resolve a thing like that, short of assuming she's doing all that as the backdrop. Hopefully it won't come to that again- I felt I had to do SOMETHING for the "scene of the crime" bit, but then Christmas and everything else delayed things.

I edited in his reaction. The guy's so unimportant to the story I didn't even bother to remember his name, so I'd rather not dwell too entirely much on his situation. Not that a confession would really hold up in court, anyways.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Don't worry about it, it was my mistake. I didn't expect the initial investigations to be so eventful! Next time I have her make something she's going to insist that everyone else sit down and wait while she builds it. :)

Edit: Actually, the best thing to do might be to give her the one-point immunity to sleep requirements. That way she can tinker away through the night if she needs to.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I'm still helping out the parents in Asgard Missouri so if other people want to go ahead of Slyce I will delay. I might be able to post tomorrow but it will probably be Sunday.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Ken

Post by Ken »

What if one of the combatants sent a signal to 'the rest of the Victory League'? Obviously Mako and Galactica wouldn't be responding, but if Dr. Mercury received such a call, how fast could she get to the dock?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:03 pm I'm still helping out the parents in Asgard Missouri so if other people want to go ahead of Slyce I will delay. I might be able to post tomorrow but it will probably be Sunday.
How cool is it to be able to say "I have Asgardian parents.*"?

* or derivations thereof:
"My parent are from Asgard."
"I'll be returning to Asgard when my tasks here are complete."
"I got this hammer from my father in Asgard."
"Something pithy this way comes."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

heh- I asked Greycrusader about taking 10, and he said thusly:
Huh. RAW, it is allowed under the game mechanics (I haven't found anything to prohibit it at least), but I think if its used against a non-Mook (i.e., non-henchmen, non-jobber villain, or any PC) then either there has to be an in-setting rationale presented OR rule the Deception check has to be rolled.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

well the insetting rationale was that she presented a credible scenario that he was under threat for his shady dealings as a loose end.

he disbelieved her and so its moot at the moment but also this guy was stated to be irrelevant ie Mook so again. *shrug*

I am rolling the next one against him though about time to rattle this guys tree big time :)

Catsi stories