Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: Jab’s Builds (Raven! Danny Chase! Red Star! Changeling! Cyborg!)

Post by M4C8 »

KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:33 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:18 pm also worth noting that Joto was originally going to be called 'Slag' though they may have scrapped the idea because that too is some what of a slur....also, who named their hero 'Slag'? That's MUCH more of a name for a villain.
Yeah, it's a slur in some places, especially the UK. There is a dinobot named Slag (and of course "slag" was a common curse word equivelant in the Transformers-verse), though I dunno if he's had his name changed by this point.
My (older) cousin had most of the Transformers toys when he was a kid, he asked my mum to get him the Slag toy for Christmas but she decided not to, the reason she gave? 'There's no way I'm going to go round the shops of South London asking 'have you got the dinobot slag?'

He was named 'Slug' in the recent movies
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Risk

Post by Jabroniville »

RISK (Cody Driscoll)
Created By:
Dan Jurgens
First Appearance: Teen Titans #1 (Oct. 1996)
Role: Risk-Taking Bad Boy
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans, Titans East
PL 8 (103)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+10)
Athletics 7 (+12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Escape Artist 2 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise) 3 (+5)
Insight 3 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Evasion, Luck, Second Chance (Falling), Teamwork

Powers:
"Six Times Teenage Physical Abilities"
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Senses 3 (Extended Sight & Hearing, Acute Scent) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Risk-Taking)- His crappy upbringing in a trailer park has made Cody a natural thrill-seeker, gaining enjoyment any way he can. Generally, this means being ultra-headstrong and taking incredible risks.
Relationship (Argent, Prysm)- Risk seems to pursue Argent, ignoring the advances of teammate Prysm. But then he told Prysm he loved her just as she moved to Outer Space.
Disabled (One Arm)- Cody got one of his arms torn off during the initial rampage of an insane Superboy-Prime.
Addiction (Painkillers)- After losing his arm, Cody became a degenerate addict and committed petty crimes for thrills.
Responsibility (H'San Natall)- A bunch of aliens were using this generation's Teen Titans as sleeper agents with which to infiltrate and destroy Earth's superhumans. Instead they fight the aliens.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 8 (103)

-Risk was another lame-duck character in the "reboot" '90s series of Titans, a H'san Natall offspring with "Six Times the Average Teenager's" physical abilities, senses, reflexes, etc. The pretty boring power-set was on top of a fairly unique origin (shared only by Boom-Boom/Meltdown of X-Force fame that I can see), that of a white trash trailer park denizen from a crappy home life-turned-superhero. His whole gimmick was that he took unnecessary risks for the sake of a thrill. Despite that, he had a thing with teammate Prysm, falling for her despite her more “Energy Being” nature. However, she travels off-world in the series finale, and they never reconnect.

-Risk is pretty much only known today (since that Titans series crashed and burned to the point where most people don't even remember it- it didn't even breed a fully successful character out of the whole lot!) as "the guy who gots his arm ripped off by Superboy-Prime" in Infinite Crisis, creating a bitter, even MORE '90s-esque (ironically, in the 2000s) "I am bitter and SO FULL OF RAGE" Risk, who sucked just as badly as before, getting his OTHER arm ripped off by the Primester when they fought again. Risk later showed up as part of Titans East, being blackmailed by Deathstroke into doing some douchebaggery and trying to kill Cyborg. At this point, he’s a jerk who commits crimes for kicks, and is more of a running gag than anything. Probably not what Jurgens wanted.

-Risk is sorta PL 7.5, having more Skills & Advantages, but less power, than the other Teen Titans of his era. He's fast, strong and fairly smart (though lacking Int-based Skills), and good at avoiding harm (PL 9 defensively). Having "Six Times the Average Teen's" powers really doesn't make him that super-human in my opinion, but being that close to Captain America in stats is still pretty impressive. He's fairly hard to hit, but he's no powerhouse in any category- in "JLA/Titans", Orion easily hits him and KO's him for a GOOD chunk of time with a casual backhand. In his Titans East incarnation, he appeared to be a fair bit more devastating, defeating several Titans.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

As I understand it, this version of Titans was engineered to be equivalent to the JLA at the time.

Risk was as close as the aliens could get to Superman. Which really kinda sucked since even humans have come closer.

I always wanted him to turn full bad, get some bionic arms and become a nice foil for Conner.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Risk vs Triathlon. I always wanted to see that...for some reason
Jabroniville

Prysm

Post by Jabroniville »

PRYSM (Audrey Spears)
Created By:
Dan Jurgens
Role: Blaster, Odd Girl
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Computers) 6 (+6)
Expertise (History) 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Organic Crystal Body"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Saves) [30]
Protection 5 [5]

"Photon Bursts"
Photon Blast 8 (Feats: Split) (17) -- [20]
  • AE: "Laser Eye Blast" Blast 4 (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Penetrating) (13)
  • AE: "Removing Light" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (4)
  • AE: "Generate Heat With Infra-red Lightwaves" Environment 2 (Extreme Heat) (4)
"Colour-Reflective Mood" Enhanced Skills 6: Persuasion 3 (+5), Intimidation 3 (+5) [3]
"Riding Lightwaves" Flight 10 (2,000 mph) [20]
Senses 1 (Mental Link- Fringe) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Photon Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Eye Blasts +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Colour-Blind)- Audrey cannot tell the difference between colours, having grown up in a 1950s TV-styled VR world.
Relationship (Fringe)- Audrey is close with her wild teammate.
Responsibility (Odd Origins)- Audrey was raised in a Virtual Reality program resembling a black & white 1950s "Pleasantville"-style TV show- she is more uncertain about interactions with real people as a result, and can be a bit naiive.
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- Audrey's alien origins give her a crystalline physical structure, and cannot pass for a human being.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 79 / Defenses: 12 (124)

-Prysm is one of the cooler "Jurgens Titans" (Linkara really liked the series, and it got some good reviews- it just doesn't feature any characters who ever got popular and thus sold poorly). Well, she didn't really get a huge amount of development, and she sure as hell didn't play a major part in DC (I think her last speaking appearance EVER is nearly ten years ago, though she's in the background during the "Superboy-Prime" fight), but I thought the concept was cool. She was a living crystal girl, raised in a "learning tube" or whatever, in a fantasy world based off of 1950s television, and was then forced into the real world with the Titans. An energy-user who fell for Risk, she also did the classic "unrequited love" angle. She left the team to stay with her alien parents, basically leaving comics forever, despite acting as an “exposition repository” for Changeling’s backstory of the Titans in JLA/Titans. With neat powers and an interesting, unique concept, it’s kind of a pity she vanished into the ether.

-Prysm is slightly better than most of her comrades, having better powers. As living crystal, she's more of a weak construct than a living entity in terms of durability, with relatively decent energy powers (the Lasers are more precise and can penetrate armour). She can fly, has a mental link with teammate Fringe, and most interestingly, she can alter her colour based off of her mood, giving the colourist something fun to do. Does it deserve a power? Well, I figure you could give a bonus to her normally-pitiful Intimidation by making her go red with anger, or give her a bonus to Persuasion by seeming sad and lonely with blue skin tones. It offsets the minor flaw that is colour-blind (not too many situations where that one pops up, really).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Fringe

Post by Jabroniville »

FRINGE (Unnamed Child of the Gorson Family)
Created By:
Dan Jurgens
First Appearance: Teen Titans #4 (Dec. 1996)
Role: Forgotten Character, Alien Powerhouse
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Expertise (Street Person) 4 (+3)
Intimidation 7 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+2)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Senses 2 (Communication Link- Prysm, Danger Sense) [2]
"Wraith Entity" Summon 9 (Feats: Mental Link) (Extras: Heroic +2) [37]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +9, Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Prysm)- Fringe is close to Prysm, his teammate. They have a Mental Link and have gone journeying through the stars to be with their people, the H'San Natall.
Prejudice (Monstrous)- Fringe is large and yellow-skinned, and cannot pass for a human being. He was so ugly that his parents tried to kill him at birth, fearing him a monster. He was rescued by a "mysterious force".
Responsibility (Temper)- Fringe has a nasty attitude at times, and his Summon is even worse!

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 11 (105)

THE WRAITH ENTITY
Role:
Summoned Monster
PL 9 (123)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Intimidation 8 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]
"Power Grab" Energy Aura 8 [32]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Saves) [30]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Protection 10 [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Power Grab +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude --, Will +4

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 85 / Defenses: 10 (123)

-Fringe was another character Dan Jurgens created for his mostly-forgotten mid-'90s Titans series (Between the failed-Wolfman later years Titans and before the failed Devin Grayson '90s Titans); an abandoned baby who was part alien, and hooked up with the Titans crew to fight the H'san Natall aliens behind their origins. He met the team, soon developed a partnership/kinship with Prysm, and eventually joined the team along with Captain Marvel, Jr. He was a generic big dumb brick with a unique side-power, never seen after the JLA/Titans: Technis Imperative story.

-A generic Powerhouse build, with lesser defense given up in favor of a Summoned Minion that was "Wraith-Like" (whatever that means- this guy's such a nobody he has to Wikipedia entry, and Titans Tower isn't much more of a help), and tangled with Superman for all of one panel in "JLA/Titans", with the comment that "it's as savage as HE (Fringe) is!" So he's basically a PL 8 Powerhouse with a PL 9 Minion.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:48 am Risk vs Triathlon. I always wanted to see that...for some reason
3 times the power of a Peak Human vs 6-to-10 times (it varied from comic to comic) the power of the average man? Would be kind of interesting to see how that matches up. I'd still favor Triathalon, especially if it was the 6 multiplier. If it's the 10 multiplier it'd be closer.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yes-Triathlon had three times the BEST POSSIBLE physical traits for a normal, un-enhanced human being-this would (in real world terms) mean he could likely bench press 1500 lbs, run a mile in a little over a minute, standing high-jump nearly 18 feet, and so on; his reflexes and the acuity of his senses were also increased three-fold. So very similar to Captain America level physical prowess, with Triathlon having the edge in athletic feats and speed, but Steve Rogers possessing superior endurance (no fatigue poisons, according to official MU bio), resistance to harm, and far more combat experience, of course.

(Note: I'm basing Triathlon's statistics above on the world records set PRIOR to the rampant use of performance enhancing drugs in almost all professional and elite amateur sports).

So yes-Risk would come in a bit below Cap or Tri-Man at the 6x level, but a fairly close match at the 8-10x multiplier; he'd still likely lose because of general impulsiveness and inexperience (remember, Delroy was a grown adult and Olympic competitor before getting his powers), but at the tenfold level Risk would definitely have the edge in strength and speed, operating like a slightly worse version of the 1950s era replacement Captain America, or maybe the US Agent.

Jurgen's Titans were actually pretty interesting, all in all. I think they might have worked with a stronger story line AND if they had been an original team, not one trying to live up to the Titans name. Also, the de-aged Atom was just rightly seen by fans as a failed re-invention of the character, so young Ray Palmer leading the team automatically tainted the project.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Re: The Atom (Ray Palmer)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:29 am The other thing was that in the late '60s, into the early '70s, most of DC's super-hero books were in trouble. Hawkman was cancelled in with the September 1968 issue. Atom became Atom and Hawkman 11/68. Atom and Hawkman cancelled after 11/69 issue. Green Lantern was in trouble around that time. It became Green lantern and Green Arrow with the April 1970 issue and was cancelled 2 years (and 13 issues, it was bi-monthly) later in 4/72 (it would be revived 4 year later). Aquaman cancelled in 4/71 after 56 issues and 9 years (another bi-monthly). Teen Titans actually made it to 2/73, and issue #43. 10/68 was the issue of Wonder Woman where Diana Prince gave up the costume and just became a non-powered adventurer named Diana Prince. Doom Patrol ended 10/68. The Metal Men ended 1/70. Metamorpho ended 4/68. I don't know what criteria you're using when you call a character an A-lister, or B-lister, etc. but pretty much any DC book that didn't have Superman, Batman, or Flash in it was in trouble. The Atom wasn't a D-lister. He certainly was no A-lister either. But if you look at the DC line at the time, he was fairly average.
LOL, should I have put up a Trigger Warning: Makes Light of a DC Silver Age Character? Are you ok :)?

His book doesn't seem overly successful- no major villains, it didn't last that long, etc. I mean, Marvel's Daredevil was a low-tier book of theirs, and he lasted until the modern era for the Kevin Smith reboot! An every-other-month book that he eventually had to share? I'd say he was a failed Silver Age character. Especially because every subsequent effort to revive him failed, unlike characters such as Aquaman, Hal Jordan, etc.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:36 am Yes-Triathlon had three times the BEST POSSIBLE physical traits for a normal, un-enhanced human being-this would (in real world terms) mean he could likely bench press 1500 lbs, run a mile in a little over a minute, standing high-jump nearly 18 feet, and so on; his reflexes and the acuity of his senses were also increased three-fold. So very similar to Captain America level physical prowess, with Triathlon having the edge in athletic feats and speed, but Steve Rogers possessing superior endurance (no fatigue poisons, according to official MU bio), resistance to harm, and far more combat experience, of course.

(Note: I'm basing Triathlon's statistics above on the world records set PRIOR to the rampant use of performance enhancing drugs in almost all professional and elite amateur sports).

So yes-Risk would come in a bit below Cap or Tri-Man at the 6x level, but a fairly close match at the 8-10x multiplier; he'd still likely lose because of general impulsiveness and inexperience (remember, Delroy was a grown adult and Olympic competitor before getting his powers), but at the tenfold level Risk would definitely have the edge in strength and speed, operating like a slightly worse version of the 1950s era replacement Captain America, or maybe the US Agent.
I think Triathalon was suppose to actually be 3 times the physique of Captain America, believe it or not. Comics Cap was always the gold standard for peak human in the comics, and Delroy always said that he was three times as good as a human being could possibly be. By how I gauge things, that'd make him still noticeably weaker than Spider-Man (Peter's 10-to-15 tons versus Triathalon's probably 1-to-3 tons), but Triathalon would have a faster run speed (he was clocked at one point at running over 100 mph) and either comparable or superior agility (I'm not sure Peter more than twice as agile or fast reaction speed wise as Cap is). He also demonstrated enhanced senses as well.

Oddly enough, when Risk and Superboy (Conner Kent/Kon-El/The 90s Clone version) fought, Risk appeared to have a pretty decent degree of strength and speed, enough that he could punch Superboy through a building and into a bus, and then power slam him hard enough to kick up shockwaves. Risk actually seemed pretty decently close to Action Comics #1 Superman in terms of running speed and strength.
Jurgen's Titans were actually pretty interesting, all in all. I think they might have worked with a stronger story line AND if they had been an original team, not one trying to live up to the Titans name. Also, the de-aged Atom was just rightly seen by fans as a failed re-invention of the character, so young Ray Palmer leading the team automatically tainted the project.

All my best.
Agreed, the big problem with Jurgens Titan's book was that it was called "Teen Titans". If it had been a different team name set out from the get go to do its own thing, at the very least it wouldn't have annoyed older fans who suddenly had a Titans book with no Titans. It also likely should have been a 12 issue mini-series to test the waters, and then launch a regular series after the fact.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Argent

Post by Jabroniville »

That first costume is a bit "yikes", but the other ones are REALLY good.

ARGENT (Antonia "Toni" Monetti)
Created By:
Dan Jurgens
Role: Mall Rat, Daddy's Little Rich Girl
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans, The Titans
PL 9 (119)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Persuasion 1 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Vehicles 2 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 8 (+8)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Blue Blasts) 4 (+9)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Attractive, Defensive Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Green Lantern Lite- Blue Plasma Constructs"
Plasma Snare 8 (Feats: Tether, Dynamic) (26) -- [36]
  • Dynamic AE: "Full Force Field" Force Field 5 (Feats: Dynamic, Increased Mass 2) (Extras: Affects Others 8, Impervious 7) (23)
  • Dynamic AE: Plasma Blast 9 (Feats: Split, Dynamic) (20)
  • Dynamic AE: "Moving Plasma" Damage 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: "Plasma Knives" Blast 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Multiattack) (13)
  • Dynamic AE: Create Plasma Constructs 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
Force Field 2 [2]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Platform) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Plasma Knives +9 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Plasma Blast +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Plasma Snare +9 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+5 Field, +10 Field), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Father)- Toni's father is a U.S. Senator, but also has Mafia links- when she discovers that her daddy dearest is a criminal, Toni is heartbroken and angry, eventually selling him out to the authorities.
Responsibility (H'San Natall)- A bunch of aliens were using this generation's Teen Titans as sleeper agents with which to infiltrate and destroy Earth's superhumans. Instead they fight the aliens.
Responsibility (Mall Rat)- Toni is a Daddy's Girl with a large checkbook, and often acts like an airhead, albeit a nice one.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 14 (119)

-Argent was easily the best character of the Jurgens Titans. You could pretty much guess that, with her being the only one who moved on to another group and all- unfortunately, she became just another example of a character with potential spoiled by circumstances. Taking on the "dumb rich girl" persona, she actually grew out of the stereotype, became a good hero of her own regard- a big part of the book's Character Development was the spoiled princess slowly maturing. For example, she takes the temporary death of teammate Joto particularly hard. She and was given a link to the Mafia by way of her rich father, leading to a handful of backstory, too.

-The character seemed to have potential, and could've really been something, even though she was forced on the creative team, to link up to one of the earlier Titans eras. But it just wasn't in the cards once the Titans failed as a series after the millennium, and everything turned into Retro Titans/Young Justice for the team- her only real arc was giving up her father to the Titans, allowing him to be arrested. Some people at DC tried, but Argent just couldn't escape the vortex of suck surrounding the mid-'90s Titans. She's also pretty notable for being drawn REALLY HOT by Paul Pelletier, who drew her in the skimpiest regular clothes out of the Titans crew (though they actually neutralized her REALLY cleavagey uber-'90s costume's silliness by giving her a more decent overall look). Unfortunately, all of her appearances after 2004 or so have been "All the Titans" Show up stories (she re-joins, then leaves the team, during "One Year Later", dating Molecule in the interim, for example).

-Argent's basically Green Lantern Lite with her construct power with Alternate Effects like Blasts, Flight, a Force Field, etc. She doesn't cost as much as she should, being very one-sided (she notably can't fly at full speed, nor use her full Force Field, while using her offensive powers to their fullest extent), but she's still got a pretty good power, able to protect all her teammates, and shunt a few points to Flight and a Blast power, too.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Prysm

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:40 am Image

PRYSM (Audrey Spears)
Created By:
Dan Jurgens
Role: Blaster, Odd Girl
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2
What's weird is that she's the second character to use the Prysm name, whose schtick was also that the character was made of a type of living crystal that allowed them to manipulate light energy. The previous one was created for the Bloodlines event in 1993, a character made of segmented, floating crystals in a roughly humanoid shape, who was super-durable, could hit extremely hard, generate laser beams, heat, illusions, turn invisible, etc. He was basically set up as a solid foe for Eclipso, but that book was canceled not long after.

Though to show how little impact THAT Prysm, made, Dan created the female version in 1996, a little under three years later. Though its easy to see why "hot, girl shaped, multi-colored Prysm" caught on slightly better than "segmented, hard to draw Prysm". Though neither of them really wound up having much of an impact on anything. Hell, you could probably combine them together into one character and mix their origins with no real loss.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, you Fighting Game fans have utterly failed me. All this pleading for Tekken builds with no reasoning, and not a SINGLE ONE OF YOU mentions the existence of Master Raven to me? Why, that would have convinced me to do them right away! Failures, the lot of you :P.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I think you can easily say that Argent was the most succesful character from the Jurgens Titan by one simple fact: seh was the only one that had an counterpart in the Teen Titans animated series (although that Argent was British).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

M4C8 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:33 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:18 pm also worth noting that Joto was originally going to be called 'Slag' though they may have scrapped the idea because that too is some what of a slur....also, who named their hero 'Slag'? That's MUCH more of a name for a villain.
Yeah, it's a slur in some places, especially the UK. There is a dinobot named Slag (and of course "slag" was a common curse word equivelant in the Transformers-verse), though I dunno if he's had his name changed by this point.
My (older) cousin had most of the Transformers toys when he was a kid, he asked my mum to get him the Slag toy for Christmas but she decided not to, the reason she gave? 'There's no way I'm going to go round the shops of South London asking 'have you got the dinobot slag?'

He was named 'Slug' in the recent movies
I've heard 'tramp stamps' (lower back tats) called 'slag flags' before. Ouch.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.