Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Kyle Rayner

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL- dat Crab Mask!

KYLE RAYNER, GREEN LANTERN OF SECTOR 2814
Created By:
Ron Marz & Darryl Banks
First Appearance: Green Lantern #48 (Jan. 1994)
Role: Upstart Rookie Hero, Flying Blaster
Group Affiliations: The Titans, The Justice League of America, The Green Lantern Corps.
PL 13 (220)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Art) 8 (+9)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (GL Blasts) 3 (+11)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (Blast), Improved Aim, Luck, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
"Oan Green Lantern Ring" (Flaws: Removable) [115]
(Feats: Restricted- Overcomes Great Fear, Unbreakable)

Create 15 (Feats: Precise, Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 13, Movable 12) (57) -- (81)
  • Dynamic AE: Blast 15 (Feats: Dynamic, Precise, Penetrating 8) (41)
  • Dynamic AE: "Multi-Blast" Blast 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 5) (Extras: Multiattack) (43)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 14 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) (44)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range) (38)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, 30ft. Burst, Ranged) (22)
  • Dynamic AE: "Boosted Field" Force Field 6 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 15, Affects Others 12) (35)
  • Dynamic AE: "Flashlight" Environment 1 (Light) (Feats: Dynamic) (2)
  • Dynamic AE: "Ring Sensors" Senses 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Detect Energy & Life- Ranged 2 & Analytical, Communication Link- Central Power Battery) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Electronic) 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Green Lanterns Only after 3 ranks) (19)
Immunity 8 (Poison, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (8)
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (18)
Movement 3 (Space Travel 2, Environmental Adaptation- Zero Gravity) (6)

"Standard Force Field" Force Field 6 (Extras: Impervious 7) (13)
"Universal Translator" Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) (8)
Enhanced Advantages 5: Equipment 5- Green Lantern Database (5)
Features 2: Quick Change 2 (2)
-- (141 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +11 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Multi-Blast +11 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Area Blasts +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Snare +11 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Area Snare +12 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+10 Standard Field, +16 Full Field, +4-11 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +12

Complications:
Power Loss (Will)- Green Lantern Rings depend upon the Will of their wielder. If Kyle fails a Will Save (such as from being intimidated or mentally-screwed with), he will drop Constructs and Force Fields.
Power Loss (Out of Energy)- Power Rings must be recharged via their Lanterns occasionally, and will run out of power after extended use.
Power Loss (High Levels of Power)- Green Lanterns must pass Will Saves to bring their power effects any higher than their natural Will Save +2 (in Kyle's case, 14). This includes Blasts, Move Object & Force Fields.
Responsibility (The Green Lantern Corps)
Relationship (Various)- Kyle lost his first girlfriend to Major Force and a refrigerator. He later dated Donna Troy, Jade and Soranik Natu, among others.
Responsibility (The Legacy of Hal Jordan)- Kyle took years to overcome comparing himself to Hal Jordan, "The Greatest Green Lantern Ever". Especially notable is Kyle's ability to feel fear- most Green Lanterns to this point where said to be "Fearless". In the end, this proves to be one of Kyle's strengths.
Rivalry (The Flash)- Wally West often disrespected Kyle openly- it took a long time for him to accept Kyle's validity as Green Lantern.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 115 / Defenses: 20 (220)

-Few characters in comics have ever been as controversial as Kyle Rayner. Me, I never saw it, but that's because I had little understanding of Hal Jordan. So to me, Kyle was the "rookie super hero" of the '90s, following the rest of the Justice League around, doing occasionally crazy-powerful things the more crack-induced the writer was in deciding what "creating anything" counts as (Mech Suit? No problem! Defillibrator? OK! Decompression Chamber? YES! Oh, and let's wrap the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' MOON up in Green Energy combined with Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet). I never read his solo series (which had the legendary Refrigerator-based death of his first girlfriend, in order to teach Kyle a lesson about being serious), which supposedly wasn't all that great, but his Grant Morrison-written JLA stuff was AMAZING. It really portrayed him as a nervous, unsure guy with the greatest weapon in the universe, and made it all the sweeter when he matured into an alpha-level hero. Stuff like "I can't handle this- it's like playing with The Beatles" helped humanize him.

-Before the JLA, Kyle was a member of the Titans, back when nobody read the book and it was terrible- I still think they gave him Donna Troy as a girlfriend because she was the ranking babe in superhero comics at the time who was both unattached and "attainable", and wanted to make Kyle look good and "I wanna be that guy"-ish to male fans. Really didn't work, as the relationship kind of sputtered and went nowhere, especially after her own child was offed.

-Of course, then Hal Jordan came back, and Kyle got shunted into various silly things (his time as Ion) to keep him busy without axing him entirely (as Hal got the solo book). But Green Lantern Corps, featuring Kyle & Guy as major cast members, was pretty great for a while (under the GL-verse got REALLY overloaded with too-long Event Crossovers and dragged until the climax, which was at least pretty good).

-Wow, Kyle is cheaper than John Stewart- wasn't expecting that one. It's mainly due to Skills, though (as a military man like Stewart is definitely above the artist Kyle), as Kyle is easily a match for him, and has 1 better Will Save. He's also got Accurate Attack & Defensive Attack, of which only Hal had the former. As the Lantern with the most imagination, his Force Fields look like Mecha Armour, his Blasts come from giant Cable-style guns, etc., but it all basically amounts to the same effect anyways. It just looks cooler.

-Kyle is PL 13, whereas my Rond Vidar build was at PL 12 (and also generally less-powerful)- I imagine most Earth Lanterns are around that level. It makes him a bit more powerful than his teammate Wally West, but a step below Wonder Woman & Superman. As a younger hero (like when he was actually a Titan), Kyle's Will lowers dramatically- starting out around a 4, but rapidly gaining until the end of Morrison's JLA run and he becomes a 10.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Joker’s Daughter! Jericho! Terra! Supergirl!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Next up is some random stuff- Teen Titans enemies. I figured I'd put up my version of Deathstroke, plus a handful of other menaces the team has faced. I was considering the Brotherhood of Evil, but the DCA builds are good enough, and actually more elaborate and full of Alternate Effects than MY usual builds end up being! Therefore, I've got nothing to really add to those
Jabroniville

The H.I.V.E.

Post by Jabroniville »

THE H.I.V.E. (Hierarchy of International Vengeance and Extermination)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & George Perez
First Appearance: The New Teen Titans #2 (Dec. 1980)
Role: Evil Organization

-The H.I.V.E. is your everyday "Harmless Organization of Mooks", created by Wolfman & Perez as a background villain in their Titans run- a concept that's WAY more "Marvel Comics", and really emphasizes how much more "Marvel" than "DC" those two were. Like, how are these guys and their bee-themed minions NOT just HYDRA or A.I.M.? In their early attempts to take over the world, they tried to hire Deathstroke the Terminator to kill the Titans- when he refused, they manipulated and empowered his son Grant into becoming the Ravager- an act that got him killed. Rather than swearing revenge against the H.I.V.E., Slade merely took up Grant's contract as a matter of professional duty. This is the cause of The Judas Contract, which results in the insertion of Terra onto the Titans as a "mole", and her subsequent death.

-After this, the group just becomes a generic background nuisance- Aqualad & Aquagirl fight them, and it's revealed that their Queen is a woman who killed her husband- the first master of the group. They disappeared for a decade or so until the Devin Grayson Titans, which had an insane Adeline Kane as the H.I.V.E. Queen, but she was eventually killed.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I did find it odd that you've never done builds for the Fearsome Five or Brotherhood of Evil in 3rd Edition before, and I noticed that you noticed too in an earlier post. (I did notice that you had 2nd Edition builds for the groups, though.)

Looking forward to the villain writeups, particularly Arthur Light, and man, I can never not think of Mega Man when I hear the name "Dr. Light", though of course I know the DC villain predates that series.

And yeah. H.I.V.E. is really more of a Marvel thing than DC, though hordes of mooks is always good to have, and I actually do like the H.I.V.E. Trooper outfit with their arm cannon stinger thingies. (I imagine all someone would have to do to stat them is take the Marvel Mook Template and make a couple alterations, huh?)
I recall that the cartoon connected the Fearsome Five to HIVE, while Dr. Light was used as a mere Joke Villiain jobber. Also, they turned Plasmus into more of a Clayface-looking dude.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I gotta say, I think Kyle's solo book was pretty good for the most part, but I kinda fell out of it over time. There were alot of legitimately good issues, but alot of filler issues too and by the time 2000 rolled around, I had missed alot of things that had happened and it just sorta faded.

Still easily my favorite GL.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:27 pm

Looking forward to the villain writeups, particularly Arthur Light, and man, I can never not think of Mega Man when I hear the name "Dr. Light", though of course I know the DC villain predates that series.
yeah me too. I sorta head canon that to where Dr. Light the supervillain is Dr. Light the scientist's dad.
Jabroniville

Mister Twister

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTER TWISTER II (Bromwell Stikk, aka Gargoyle)
Created By:
Bob Haney & Bruno Premiani
First Appearance: The Brave and the Bold #54 (June 1964)
Role: Forgotten Villain, Weather Controller
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (62)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Magical Medicine Staff" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [36]
"Ride a Tornado" Flight 5 (60 mph) (10)
"Force Field" Protection 7 (7)

"Weather Effects" Environment 5 (500 feet) (Cold, Impede Movement 2, Light, Visibility) (25) -- (43)
  • Dynamic AE: "Lightning Bolt" Damage 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (20)
  • Dynamic AE: "Lightning Blast" Blast 8 (Feats: Indirect 1- From Above) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: "Tornado #1" Blast 8 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: 30ft. Burst) (24)
  • Dynamic AE: "Tornado #2" Blast 8 (Extras: 30ft. Cylinder) (24)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Storm" Affliction 8 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (8)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Burst" Affliction 8 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (8)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Creation" Move Object 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (25)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind" Features 2 (-2 Thrown Weapons, snuffing flames, etc.) (3)
  • Dynamic AE: "Rain Fire From The Sky" Blast 6 (Feats: Accurate, Indirect- From Above) (Extras: Multiattack) (19)
-- (60 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Lightning Bolt/Tornado +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Lightning Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Fire From The Sky +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Wind Storms +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+9 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power, Revenge)- Mister Twister is a social misanthrope who hates on a society that dislikes him.
Enemy (The Teen Titans)
Power Loss (Magic Staff)- Mister Twister must renew the power of his staff periodically in the same liquid in the same old cave.

Total: Abilities: 4 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 11 (62)

-Mister Twister II (the first is a one-off gang leader who annoyed Superman once) is the oh, SO Silver Aged-ly named villain most known for bringing the original Teen Titans together. He discovered a cave used by Native Americans, and dipped an old Shaman's medicine staff in a "special brew" that gave him Weather Control powers. An angry recluse, he used his new powers to lash out at society. He demands passenger pigeon feathers as a payment that his ancestors never got from the town he's targetting, but since those are extinct, there's a delay. Robin, Kid Flash and Aqualad arrive in town and hear about this- Aqualad summons a whale to move an island where Twister has kidnapped all the town's teenagers, and Robin disarms the villain.

-Later, it is revealed that the battle against Mister Twister caught the attention of "The Antithesis"- some weird entity that transforms him into "Gargoyle". Gargoyle "sows the seeds of doubt" in every Titan but Robin, who surrenders and is thus transported to Limbo so he can fight the villain. Smashing Gargoyle's ring (okay, he has a ring, I guess), he traps the villain there. Mal Duncan accidentally frees Gargoyle some time later, but sends him back by story's end. He later hypnotizes the Titans into thinking themselves happy civilians. The character thus disappears for the entirety of the Bronze & Iron Ages, only reappearing as a backgrounder (in human form), helping a group of mystics bind The Spectre to Crispus Allen. Later, Twister, now a homeless man, encounters Roy Harper at a soup kitchen, and the two make peace- Twister is simply happy that someone remembers who he was.

-Mister Twister is basically a Weather Wizard with fewere Skills, but a lot of durability (his Staff gives him a Force Field). As the Gargoyle, he has Super-Strength & Durability (I dunno, Class 10-ish?), plus Hypnosis.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And here I was gonna skip Dr. Rape until way because I didn’t want to deal with his whole modern incarnation. Now I guess I have to, lol.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:33 am And here I was gonna skip Dr. Rape until way because I didn’t want to deal with his whole modern incarnation. Now I guess I have to, lol.
Heh- I don't know of his history behind the horribleness that was Identity Crisis, myself. But yeah, he's kinda important since he's the guy who formed the Fearsome Five and all.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

The Matrix Supergirl/Linda Danvers II/Eath-Angel...yeah, she's basically been relegated to a "non-person" within DC continuity (if that's not a contradiction in terms), which IS fairly disrespectful both to the character and her primary scribe, Peter David. Now honestly, I never got THAT into the series, despite being a big fan of Mr. David's work on the Hulk and X-Factor; the book got complicated REALLY quickly-leaving aside how much of a kludge the Matrix-Supergirl's origins were, grafting her onto Linda Danvers (which was a clumsier reworking of Halo from the Outsiders), and THEN doing the whole "Earth Angel of Fire" thing was just a lot to keep straight. Honestly, it really does seem in hindsight Peter David wanted to do an entirely original heroine, but DC wanted a Supergirl, and editorial felt they had to do something with the Matrix story. Yet and still, Linda Danvers had a pretty strong run for a "replacement" character in the 1990s, and was a fairly important third-tier hero. But her last DC appearance in canon had Linda literally trapped in Hell. Even the Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown Batgirl legacies didn't get burned as badly.

(As an aside-I REALLY kind of like the more "civilian" look 90s Supergirl sported for a while, though it was done far better in the DCA by making it a t-shirt instead of a belly-shirt, and lengthening the shorts a bit-she IS supposed to be a teenager, fellows.)

And oh yes-Miss Martian is almost a one-for-one analogue of the post-COIE Supergirl. Never saw that before.
Jabroniville

The Brotherhood of Evil

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BROTHERHOOD OF EVIL:
-The Brotherhood of Evil was a band of goofs created to fight the Doom Patrol back in 1964, but I mainly know them for being part of some of the "Filler" Teen Titans issues, doing some stuff to keep the team busy while other things were going on. The fairly large team was reduced to four during their Titans run, and they never stuck around as returning threats, though they did show up on the cartoon. I'm only doing the members that pertain to the Wolfman-era Titans- Phobia, Warp, Plasmus & Houngan. The rest are largely "Journeyman Villains" that face off against various heroes, since Doom Patrol books never sell (except for that time they did, which I ignore because it makes it harder to make fun of the Doom Patrol), and thus the characters wouldn't see regular use. This whole team basically existed as an early threat to the Titans, having been used as a Doom Patrol villain team earlier. In the Titans, they quickly killed the useless members Wolfman/Perez didn't feel like using, and stuck in new villain designs they liked.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Houngan

Post by Jabroniville »

HOUNGAN (Jean-Louis Droo)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & George Perez
First Appearance: The New Teen Titans #14 (Dec. 1981)
Role: "Magic" Guy
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil, The Society of Sin
PL 10 (101)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment (Gear), Ranged Attack 2, Ritualist, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Voodoo Dolls" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [13]
Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated) (Feats: Precise) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Limited- Must Study Genetic Material of Target First) (21 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Voodoo Dolls -- (+10 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 11 (101)

-Houngan is a classic "Not what you expect" character, a villain who practices voodoo, but via MACHINES. The backstory is that he's a former silicon valley computer tech who went back to his homeland and discovered that an old "houngan" was the only person who could save his father from an illness- modern medicine could not. And so Jean-Louis Droo devoted his life to mastering this ancient art, becoming a voodoo master himself... but with expertise in TECHNOLOGY as well. Of course, instead of using the powers to heal, he's evil and robs people. He builds these little voodoo dolls with a mechanical stylus, and uses the "fetish" to inflict pain on his targets from this connection. This, of course, reads as hilarious today, as "fetish" is 99 times out of 100 used to refer to someone's sexual kink in modern times, not something to do with voodoo.

-Houngan is a nasty little bugger, but a bit useless outside of this one ability- the number of guys who've mastered Magic AND Technology is so small that he's basically there with DOCTOR DOOM, but he's such a minor deal as a villain that his versatility comes at the expense of raw power- he can hurt people, but can't take the pain himself. Haha, my original build is so old it uses the "Pain" power (one of about a dozen powers that all get listed under "Affliction" these days, like Snare, Stun, Sleep and all sorts of other things- I can't even remember the whole list anymore)... but it's just Affliction these days.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds (Terra! Supergirls! Kyle Rayner! Mr. Twister!)

Post by Woodclaw »

3D printed fetishes sounds like something straight out of a Mage the Ascension campaign :D
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

i could swear that Houngan card is a rip off a piece of art with Diablo in it
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm 3D printed fetishes sounds like something straight out of a Mage the Ascension campaign :D
Virtual Adept technoshamans!